Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

You guys ever watch Mike Rowe?

I love this guy. Yeah he's pretty conservative. I get that you might skip him cause of that. But his points about missing opportunities to get a four degree with a boat load of debt is spot on.

If you took a 2 yr diesel mechanic degree you could graduate with little debt and pick your job.

I'm taking hours, working conditions , pay scale. After a couple years you are making 100k and will never ever be without a job. For life

Same with truck drivers, plumbers, hvac pros etc.

It's a shame so many kids are missing out on this.

I love this guy. Yeah he's pretty conservative. I get that you might skip him cause of that. But his points about missing opportunities to get a four degree with a boat load of debt is spot on.

If you took a 2 yr diesel mechanic degree you could graduate with little debt and pick your job.

I'm taking hours, working conditions , pay scale. After a couple years you are making 100k and will never ever be without a job. For life

Same with truck drivers, plumbers, hvac pros etc.

It's a shame so many kids are missing out on this.

Not truck drivers.

What?

Driverless trucks are on the way.

Driverless trucks are on the way.

Maybe a fair point but will always need drivers. Theres such a large need for them the driverless wave might fill that first.

But today it's still a great job on my opinion. And I know. I spend a boat load of time sourcing and hiring them

A lot of the professions you list are plagued by 'technical institutes' that leave their victims/students buried in debt. Doesn't negate the professions, but it's not just Art HIstory majors who get screwed on student loans.

It's one of the few things the government has done well prior to the election. - Beating up and cleaning up for-profit scam schools like that.

As far as his politics, when I watch him, I want to turn off my brain and just enjoy an affable 'have a beer with' kind of guy. To me, it's like if Bobby Flay started spouting politics - on either side.

He is right about certain professions making money that don't require fancy 4 year degrees. My uncle is rolling in cash and he never stepped foot in college. He owns his own shop fixing motors and such. Has a contract with the sewage treatment plant fixing all their stuff and gets to charge essentially whatever he wants cause no one else in town will mess with it

my main argument against Bernie's free college, is that we need skilled workers more than useless college graduates

and yes I love Mike Rowe, he probably has some of the best takes I have ever heard, his one on voting is incredible

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/10/12/mike-rowe-shares-wise-opinion-voting/

I like Mike too... I think he represents fair middle class working values without getting in the muddle of ugly political vs.

I will say that ok great you can become a diesel mechanic with no debt. That still is not a job everybody can do. I have 7 years of college and 2 masters degrees and I could never be a diesel mechanic. I don't have that skill.

To say that it's easy to get these skilled labor jobs is easy is not true. If everybody could be making $100k and invest nothing everybody would be doing it. You still need to have the skill set to do it and that pool of talent is limited.

I like Mike too... I think he represents fair middle class working values without getting in the muddle of ugly political vs.

I will say that ok great you can become a diesel mechanic with no debt. That still is not a job everybody can do. I have 7 years of college and 2 masters degrees and I could never be a diesel mechanic. I don't have that skill.

To say that it's easy to get these skilled labor jobs is easy is not true. If everybody could be making $100k and invest nothing everybody would be doing it. You still need to have the skill set to do it and that pool of talent is limited.

That's a good point. I like Rowe but just to say...Hey..you should go to trade school and be a mechanic!! Well..yeah..I guess if I had any interest whatsoever in that sure. "Hey...go become a welder!!".....Umm..sure...I guess.

I feel like college should be like a trade school. If you're going for an electrical engineering degree, then you take electrical engineering courses. Not all the electives and crap that make it last 4-5 years and ramp up the cost.

• Like 1

To some of you guys;

We're finally doing what Europe did for decades; High School basically is trade school. You essentially end up on 'College Track' or Trade track. I'm amazed at what they teach in High School these days. It's great. It's a total Euro-rip, but it's about damn time.

I put Rowe in the same category as Ted Nugent. I'd love to have a beer or two with Rowe. Seems like a cool dude. And would love to sit by a fire and jam on my guitar with Nugent. But as soon as either of them opened their mouths about politics, I'm gone.

Huh? who hasn't?

Ted nugent does not seem like a cool dude

I'm not really sure if he has the ability to not speak politics. But if he did, it would be cool jamming with him and hearing stories from the road.

I put Rowe in the same category as Ted Nugent. I'd love to have a beer or two with Rowe. Seems like a cool dude. And would love to sit by a fire and jam on my guitar with Nugent. But as soon as either of them opened their mouths about politics, I'm gone.

B more specific with Rowe please. Nugent I see your point, but Mike Rowe? Where does he lose you?

B more specific with Rowe please. Nugent I see your point, but Mike Rowe? Where does he lose you?

Not sure. I thought I was supposed to not like him. I'll have to do some research. lol

I haven't read anything in this thread.

I am getting the feeling this is political.

Sad

Not sure. I thought I was supposed to not like him. I'll have to do some research. lol

Please no. Leave it alone don't ruin this thread too you guys

Please no. Leave it alone don't ruin this thread too you guys

I was answering his question honestly.

I don't care. Ignore once in a while

Here's an idea, YOU ignore. Bye bye now. :wave:

my main argument against Bernie's free college, is that we need skilled workers more than useless college graduates

and yes I love Mike Rowe, he probably has some of the best takes I have ever heard, his one on voting is incredible

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/10/12/mike-rowe-shares-wise-opinion-voting/

Agreed and dig some of his commentary.

Ive said with the Bernie stuff and others that instead of free college...there are plenty that would do much better from learning a trade. Trades that simply are not going away any time soon.

Agreed and dig some of his commentary.

Ive said with the Bernie stuff and others that instead of free college...there are plenty that would do much better from learning a trade. Trades that simply are not going away any time soon.

They are not going away and I see the shortage of skilled labor first hand. If someone was willing to travel for work, they could easily make well over $100k per year. Way over if they hit the right jobs.