Sign in to follow this  
snatchit

People seem a little down on Hunt

Watching him slip to mid second round in mocks. Can someone give me some good intell on him ? Thinking of keeping. PPR

Andy Reid refused to run the offense through him for like 6 straight games last year. Spencer Ware is back in the mix.

I'd still draft him late in the 1st though. I mean, Andy Reid can't run the offense through Mahomes like he did with Smith right?

I figured they'd help the young QB more this year and run it a lot, but you know Andy...

Do you think Spencer Ware is worth a late round selection then? Maybe he takes on a Vulture type role? I pay little attention to KC so any information would help.

I think Hunt is still worthy of a late first round / early 2nd round selection.

Do you think Spencer Ware is worth a late round selection then? Maybe he takes on a Vulture type role? I pay little attention to KC so any information would help.

I think Hunt is still worthy of a late first round / early 2nd round selection.

It depends on his his recovery. I am a Spencer Ware fan, but the injury he had was pretty brutal.

Owning Hunt will be the usual Andy Reid experience: 4-5 games in which Reid abandons the running game for no apparent reason sandwiched around 11-12 games of very good production. To my knowledge, Ware hasn't even been cleared yet for camp. As for Hunt, here's something I found from February:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article202736294.html

Reid said the return of running back Spencer Ware, who missed last season because of a knee injury, will help the Chiefs diversify star running back Kareem Hunt's workload, though they were happy with his 325-touch season. "We probably need to expand on his role in the pass game," Reid said. "A healthy Ware would be a nice problem to have there. They're best friends, and that would be a nice problem to have."

I was pretty bummed last year to consistently see Hunt on the sidelines in 2 min/3rd down situations. There's a lotta points up for grabs there. It didn't much much sense after he had 90 yards and 2 tds receiving in week 1. I don't know if he missed a blitz pickup and got the QB clobbered or what but it was disconcerting.

There is a "belief" one of the reasons Hunt was featured at the end of the season wasn't just because Nagy was calling the plays but also because Hunt started picking up blitzes better.

There are so many good RBs this season going in and he's one of them.

I think it has to do with him having such a long stretch last season without having a big game. That and Any Reid's history of abandoning the run.

He'll be okay though I do believe. I wouldn't let him slip past the first 8-10 picks at most.

Watching him slip to mid second round in mocks. Can someone give me some good intell on him ? Thinking of keeping. PPR

Mocks? Ignore them. People try to be cute in mocks.

Hunt won the rushing title as a rookie last year.

4.9 yards per carry.

53 receptions on 63 targets.

1782 total yards from scrimage.

11 TDs.

1 fumble.

Now everyone seems to want to take a rookie RB on a terrible team with a bad oline over him. Interesting.

I think they will look back at last year, they were world beaters when he was used a lot.... stop using him, go on lsing streak

I did a little digging on Hunt and what I found was 1) he was alot better on the road than home, and 2) His numbers were a little skewed by his matchups with the chargers at the beginning and end of the year where he combined for a liitle over 320 yards rushing and 3 total td's. I still think he is in the mix for Rb's 5-7 overall.

There is a "belief" one of the reasons Hunt was featured at the end of the season wasn't just because Nagy was calling the plays but also because Hunt started picking up blitzes better.

this is always a factor with younger RB's.

and as a coach, if you don't sit them and force them to learn early they will never get it.

Andy Reid isnt the kind of coach that will abandon his principles in this way. if he doesn't like something you are doing, you just wont play.

but if he truly has picked up this part of his game, I think we will see a lot more of him moving forward.

I'm taking Fournette before him. Two variables prevent me from going all in on Hunt--Spencer Ware and a new QB

Fournette can't stay on the field, and was benched a game last year for attitude

no thanks

He'll be hurt by game 7. He'll get 25 touches a game while Reid tries to make Mahomes into an NFL QB. Sell after game 5..

He'll be hurt by game 7. He'll get 25 touches a game while Reid tries to make Mahomes into an NFL QB. Sell after game 5..

you have to think Alex Smith wouldnt have been dumped if they didnt think he(Mahomes) was most (if not all) of the way there.

They got to work with him a full year. he even got to start a game late in the season. I think they have a reasonably good idea of what they have.

I would take him in the first round.

I think it’s great too see people scared of taking him.

It’s helping is ADP.

Thanks.

He led league in rushing and Reid held him back in a lot of games. Stats would have been insane.

Couple things to factor in when comparing Hunt and Barkley...

1. Barkley is "the guy" in NY and will get the significant workload all season long. Where as Hunt will see Ware take some touches that weren't taken last year. Last year, RB's in KC, not named Kareem Hunt, combined for 42 carries, 135 yards, 1 td, 37 receptions, 228 yards, and 2 td's. In 2016, Spencer Ware rushed for 921 yards and 3 td's with 33 receptions, 447 yards, and 2 td's. Hunt touched the ball 325 times last season. I don't see how Hunt get 325 touches with Ware there. I think the Chiefs are going to deploy a "Saints-esq" approach with their rookie QB with Hunt getting about 225 touches and Ware about 150.
  2. Eli vs Mahomes. Eli, while nothing special, is still an average QB who won't get rattled. He's firmly confident in what he can and cannot do and defenses won't be able to take advantage of him. Teams can try to stack 8-in-the-box against the Giants and Eli will pick them apart all game long. Even if they do, Eli knows how to get the ball to his backs without handing it off. In a game where Barkley may get 14 carries for 27 yards, he'll probably still get 9 receptions for 122 yards. In KC, that's a luxury Hunt doesn't have. Mahomes is still learning. Yes, I do think the Chiefs will run the ball more, but as I said above, the touches are likely to be spread out. Yes, the Chiefs will probably deploy a lot of passing chances to the RB's, but again, Ware will get a portion of those too.
  3. Another thing is weapons. With Beckham, Engram, and Sheppard running routes, there will need to be 5 guys (minimum), in the secondary on virtually every play. Right from the start, Barkely will be seeing 6 and 7-man fronts on a significant amount of plays. In KC, Kelce is the only perimeter threat. Sure, Hill is someone that needs to be watched, but he's not someone that requires special attention. Defenses can start with an 8-in-the-box and may add to it.

4. The offensive line in NY may be suspect, but Eli, Beckham, and Barkley can help the OLine by their play. In KC, their OLine can be negatively affected by Mahomes inexperience.

There are factors aside from just Barkley and Hunt that can affect the outcome of their seasons, many of which are in Barkley's favor. Let's also not forget guys like Doug Martin, Jeremy Hill, Fred Taylor, Mike Anderson, Steve Slaton, Dominic Rhodes, & Kevin Jones who all had great rookie seasons only to see those as the best they'll ever produce. Just because Hunt had a great rookie season, it doesn't mean he'll be great this year.

Couple things to factor in when comparing Hunt and Barkley...

• Barkley is "the guy" in NY and will get the significant workload all season long. Where as Hunt will see Ware take some touches that weren't taken last year. Last year, RB's in KC, not named Kareem Hunt, combined for 42 carries, 135 yards, 1 td, 37 receptions, 228 yards, and 2 td's. In 2016, Spencer Ware rushed for 921 yards and 3 td's with 33 receptions, 447 yards, and 2 td's. Hunt touched the ball 325 times last season. I don't see how Hunt get 325 touches with Ware there. I think the Chiefs are going to deploy a "Saints-esq" approach with their rookie QB with Hunt getting about 225 touches and Ware about 150.
  • Eli vs Mahomes. Eli, while nothing special, is still an average QB who won't get rattled. He's firmly confident in what he can and cannot do and defenses won't be able to take advantage of him. Teams can try to stack 8-in-the-box against the Giants and Eli will pick them apart all game long. Even if they do, Eli knows how to get the ball to his backs without handing it off. In a game where Barkley may get 14 carries for 27 yards, he'll probably still get 9 receptions for 122 yards. In KC, that's a luxury Hunt doesn't have. Mahomes is still learning. Yes, I do think the Chiefs will run the ball more, but as I said above, the touches are likely to be spread out. Yes, the Chiefs will probably deploy a lot of passing chances to the RB's, but again, Ware will get a portion of those too.
  • Another thing is weapons. With Beckham, Engram, and Sheppard running routes, there will need to be 5 guys (minimum), in the secondary on virtually every play. Right from the start, Barkely will be seeing 6 and 7-man fronts on a significant amount of plays. In KC, Kelce is the only perimeter threat. Sure, Hill is someone that needs to be watched, but he's not someone that requires special attention. Defenses can start with an 8-in-the-box and may add to it.

• The offensive line in NY may be suspect, but Eli, Beckham, and Barkley can help the OLine by their play. In KC, their OLine can be negatively affected by Mahomes inexperience.

There are factors aside from just Barkley and Hunt that can affect the outcome of their seasons, many of which are in Barkley's favor. Let's also not forget guys like Doug Martin, Jeremy Hill, Fred Taylor, Mike Anderson, Steve Slaton, Dominic Rhodes, & Kevin Jones who all had great rookie seasons only to see those as the best they'll ever produce. Just because Hunt had a great rookie season, it doesn't mean he'll be great this year.
While I think Barkley could outproduce Hunt I believe a couple of your points are wrong. Eli is a pick machine, saying he takes what the D gives him is absurd. Beckham also throws fits when he doesn't get the ball enough, so the ball will be forced in both offenses.

The one known thing about Mahomes is his arm strength. Putting 8 in the box with his arm and the speed of Hill and Hunt is asking for trouble. I don't see how a defense will do that. They also have Watkins, while he is over paid, he is still a quality receiver on the outside. Hunt, Hill, Watkins, and Kelce might be better top to bottom than the Giants weapons, so the idea a defense only has to limit Hunt is far fetched in my opinion.

While I think Barkley could outproduce Hunt I believe a couple of your points are wrong. Eli is a pick machine, saying he takes what the D gives him is absurd. Beckham also throws fits when he doesn't get the ball enough, so the ball will be forced in both offenses.

The one known thing about Mahomes is his arm strength. Putting 8 in the box with his arm and the speed of Hill and Hunt is asking for trouble. I don't see how a defense will do that. They also have Watkins, while he is over paid, he is still a quality receiver on the outside. Hunt, Hill, Watkins, and Kelce might be better top to bottom than the Giants weapons, so the idea a defense only has to limit Hunt is far fetched in my opinion.

Couple issues with your rebuttal. Notice, I said Eli was "nothing special" and "an average QB". I never implied that he was great. Also, I never said that he takes what the defense give him. He's not immune to bad decisions. He's an experienced QB whom defenses can't really outsmart. Sure, they can beat/fool him on any given play, but over the course of the game, they won't have that much success - whereas that likelihood most assuredly exists in KC.

Watkins is to WR as Flacco is to QB's... mediocre to below average who can fool people into thinking he's good if the team can carry him. Once the team can't carry him, his limitations are obvious. He's a nobody. Aside from that, with Hill, if the Chiefs are going to maximize the Mahomes - Hill connections, defenses need only to roll coverage from short to deep. They don't need to specifically charge 2 guys to cover him the whole time. Considering you only need a half of a defender to cover Watkins, that's enough to maintain 8 in the box. That said, the reason for my stance on this is because of Mahomes' inexperience. The 2019 season could be a completely different argument after he has a full season under his belt. Rookies/first time starters are rarely patient. They tend to either be too slow or too aggressive and lead to mistakes. In the early parts of the games, those mistakes can put your team in a hole and change the game plan entirely. Sure, Hill, Kelce, and even Watkins could have some big games... as with Mahomes, but they could be because Mahomes' inexperience put them in a hole and force them to throw often in the 2nd half. Yes, that would help Hunt, but it'll also help Ware. The problem is... when and where?

Beckham is a prima donna, but he won't be an issue. Eli is likely to throw the ball 550-600 times and Beckham should see 150+ targets.

Gmen offensive line is bad. Eli won't have time to go downfield.

Mahomes will.

Plus, Hunt got better toward end of year with pass protection which means he will be get more passing down work. Ware is a good downhill runner, but he's not scary in the open field. Hunt is scary in the open field!

I won't draft Barkley. No way, no how!!

I'm keeping Hunt in my primary league.

I have Hunt very high.

I think he can even put up better totals then last season, based on his involvement in the passing game.

Ware who?

While Barkley would have been an appealing pick for any team, the giants screwed that up bad. They need a QB for the future. No way they are in win now mode. RBs get hurt more often than not, and their NFL life span is on average lower than any other position. Wow, that was just a terrible pick even if he is a decent back.

Great pick for a team that needed a rb.

He’s going too be very good.

In the NFC east the Gmen will be the team too beat.

Great pick for a team that needed a rb.

Hes going too be very good.

In the NFC east the Gmen will be the team too beat.

So a giants team that won 3 games last year, finished last in their division, currently has one of the worst olines, worst defenses, and worst QBs in the league, are now the team to beat over last year's superbowl winner? All because they have a rookie RB that just joined the team? Philly has the best oline in football, a backup QB that is better than the giants starter, a very good def., and etc... Dallas is even light years better than the giants. The Redskins are even going to be better.

They wasted a number 2 draft pick. They will need to start a rebuild next year instead of this year. Wasted year for them in 2018.

So a giants team that won 3 games last year, finished last in their division, currently has one of the worst olines, worst defenses, and worst QBs in the league, are now the team to beat over last year's superbowl winner? All because they have a rookie RB that just joined the team? Philly has the best oline in football, a backup QB that is better than the giants starter, a very good def., and etc... Dallas is even light years better than the giants. The Redskins are even going to be better.

They wasted a number 2 draft pick. They will need to start a rebuild next year instead of this year. Wasted year for them in 2018.

Sounds like you really hate Barkley and think hes gonna bust. So much so that you hijacked this thread. Once again youre saying hell fail because the team around him but Ive seen APs, Gurleys, and LTs thrive on terrible teams too and to be honest I think this kid is more talented than all of them.

You can pull up stats all you want but Ill point to the combine where he possibly performed better than any other RB ever....

Sounds like you really hate Barkley and think hes gonna bust. So much so that you hijacked this thread. Once again youre saying hell fail because the team around him but Ive seen APs, Gurleys, and LTs thrive on terrible teams too and to be honest I think this kid is more talented than all of them.

You can pull up stats all you want but Ill point to the combine where he possibly performed better than any other RB ever....

I was responding to a statement that said the giants are now the team to beat because of barkley. And you can go ahead and judge a player's future nfl success on their combine numbers all you want. Most intelligent NFL folks disagree that the combine defines future results in the league. But then, it's you commenting, so...

I was responding to a statement that said the giants are now the team to beat because of barkley. And you can go ahead and judge a player's future nfl success on their combine numbers all you want. Most intelligent NFL folks disagree that the combine defines future results in the league. But then, it's you commenting, so...

So then what is the point of the combine?

Idiots gathering together to ooh and ahh at jocks lifting weights?

No need to be condescending princess.

Hunt won the rushing title as a rookie last year.

4.9 yards per carry.

53 receptions on 63 targets.

1782 total yards from scrimage.

11 TDs.

1 fumble.

Now everyone seems to want to take a rookie RB on a terrible team with a bad oline over him. Interesting.

Nobody mentioned a rookie RB on a bad team in this thread until right here.

Perhaps youre not referring to Barkley? Seems like you are though.

So then what is the point of the combine?

Idiots gathering together to ooh and ahh at jocks lifting weights?

No need to be condescending princess.

Name calling fits your style of debate. Uninformed and angry.

So let's just judge a college RB, who had 2.1 yards per carry against Rutgers, on how he lifts weights. And let's not call a team that currently has a 25th ranked oline, a bottom 10 defense, and an over the hill bad QB, terrible. That 3 win season was sure impressive last year.

Name calling fits your style of debate. Uninformed and angry.

So let's just judge a college RB, who had 2.1 yards per carry against Rutgers, on how he lifts weights. And let's not call a team that currently has a 25th ranked oline, a bottom 10 defense, and an over the hill bad QB, terrible. That 3 win season was sure impressive last year.

Again, hijacking the thread. Again, bringing up Barkleys worst games. I havent even looked but I know that his great games were awesome. Do those awesome games hold zero weight for you? As if they never happened?

That Rutgers game you keep mentioning Penn State didn't have their left tackle and were never in danger of losing so he didn't run a lot, but if you look at the box score no runner did anything either, plus he scored twice so would still be fine for fantasy purposes.