Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Get your student loans forgiven. Click here.

Can't wait to be done paying mine. 13 years down 2 more to go.

Good for you :thumbsup:

Can't wait to be done paying mine. 13 years down 2 more to go.

Some guy I work with has $161,000 in loan debt for his kids (out of state college) @ 8%

Congrats though.

Some guy I work with has $161,000 in loan debt for his kids (out of state college) @ 8%

Congrats though.

That's insane, has to be a point where the returns just aren't there.

I have a buddy who daughter just graduated from an in state school with a worthless communications degree, she has something like 70k in debt.

I just had to join the army and they paid for both undergrad and my masters

• Like 1

I paid off my student loans.

I have no problems with teachers getting loan forgiveness. Good teachers are needed and there is not much incentive to be a teacher. The pay sucks when compared to other jobs. Benefits like this could be used to attract quality teachers.

I'll take the money anyway :banana:

Congrats though.

Holy crap! Hope they're doctors or something useful at least. Not communications majors or something pointless.

I have a 529 set-up for my daughter, but it won't be much more than 18-20 grand by the time she's 18. I feel like I'm being generous for even stashing that away, as my parents didn't pay a dime for my upper edu!

• Like 1

Holy crap! Hope they're doctors or something useful at least. Not communications majors or something pointless.

I have a 529 set-up for my daughter, but it won't be much more than 18-20 grand by the time she's 18. I feel like I'm being generous for even stashing that away, as my parents didn't pay a dime for my upper edu!

Good on you. I told my kids since elementary school I wasn't paying for college. Fair warning.

The guy's kids I referenced aren't going to be a good ROI........

I have no problems with teachers getting loan forgiveness. Good teachers are needed and there is not much incentive to be a teacher. The pay sucks when compared to other jobs. Benefits like this could be used to attract quality teachers.

:thumbsup:

Some kind of forgiveness after 10 years of payments sounds about right.

The real issue is the cost of school, it's beyond ridiculous at this point. Somehow the actual schools keep dodging blame while loans and the companies who offer them are taking all the heat.

:thumbsup:

Some kind of forgiveness after 10 years of payments sounds about right.

The real issue is the cost of school, it's beyond ridiculous at this point. Somehow the actual schools keep dodging blame while loans and the companies who offer them are taking all the heat.

not to mention, a degree is mostly worthless at this point

My parents got lucky, cost my whole family less than 10k for all of us to go to school, they only had to pay for my sister at a local state school while me and my brothers did the army route.

not to mention, a degree is mostly worthless at this point

Some are much better off going into workforce at 18 and putting 4 years into a career than college and insurmountable load debt.

My parents got lucky, cost my whole family less than 10k for all of us to go to school, they only had to pay for my sister at a local state school while me and my brothers did the army route.

Didn't know you were in the military. Thanks for your service, mung. :cheers:

Some are much better off going into workforce at 18 and putting 4 years into a career than college and insurmountable load debt.

This is absolutely true. Really need to quit selling this dream of college to all kids, quite a few aren't cut out for it.

That's insane, has to be a point where the returns just aren't there.

I have a buddy who daughter just graduated from an in state school with a worthless communications degree, she has something like 70k in debt.

I just had to join the army and they paid for both undergrad and my masters

Military paid for undergrad, but I hate school so I stopped there.

The military has been very kind to me. Taught me a skill that made me more money than a lot of my peers that went to college and then paid for my degree on top of it.

• Like 1

The military has been very kind to me. Taught me a skill that made me more money than a lot of my peers that went to college and then paid for my degree on top of it.

Same here.

Miles ahead of people (at least the ones I know of) that chose the college route.

• Like 1

How about focking-your-students forgiveness? :dunno:

As long as they reach a certain level of hotness. :thumbsup:

Congrats though.

The average amount of debt following medical school exceeds $180K.

I'm on the fence regarding loan forgiveness though.

• Like 1

This is absolutely true. Really need to quit selling this dream of college to all kids, quite a few aren't cut out for it.

My dad knew my brother wasnt cut out for college at 18.

He begged him to go travel. Take a job on a cruise ship or ski resort. Whatever. Just have fun for a couple of years.

Brother went to school anyway. Flunked right out.

I had a friend in law school who went to smith college for undergrad and then Stetson with us for law school (I was on a full scholarship or would never have gone to that pricey focker.) she graduated with over $250k in debt, not counting credit cards.

She said she only wanted to practice for a few years, and then get married and be mommy full time. I told her she was nowhere near hot enough that some guy was gonna take on her quarter mill debt, plus her shopping and sushi habit. But I was wrong. Some dumbass did.

Or you could just join the military and have all your schooling paid for like I did.

While I fully respect that decision, applaud it even, I can see in todays climate why parents would discourage kids from doing that. I wouldnt want my kid to be dodging rpg fire and ieds Im afghanistan just to get a chance at an education.

If they wanted to do the military for its own sake, by all means.

My parents felt it was their duty to provide an education. We were told we could go in state public for as long as we wanted, so long as we were making reasonable progress toward degrees. If we wanted to go to a more expensive school, that was on us.

I feel thats reasonable. Im the only one of the three that got a degree though, although my sister is about to finally get her bachelors after a decade and a half of failing out and starting over.

While I fully respect that decision, applaud it even, I can see in todays climate why parents would discourage kids from doing that. I wouldnt want my kid to be dodging rpg fire and ieds Im afghanistan just to get a chance at an education.

My parents felt it was their duty to provide an education. We were told we could go in state public for as long as we wanted, so long as we were making reasonable progress toward degrees. If we wanted to go to a more expensive school, that was on us.

I feel thats reasonable. Im the only one of the three that got a degree though, although my sister is about to finally get her bachelors after a decade and a half of failing out and starting over.

There are other jobs besides being a grunt that lets you join the military and never see combat. You can be a freakin cook or run a gym on base. Get paid the same as the other active duty folks and get the same benefits but not have to worry about getting shot at

There are other jobs besides being a grunt that lets you join the military and never see combat. You can be a freakin cook or run a gym on base. Get paid the same as the other active duty folks and get the same benefits but not have to worry about getting shot at

Fair enough. So long as the choice is yours, and not theirs.

Fair enough. So long as the choice is yours, and not theirs.

Also depends on the branch you go in. I know in the Air Force you don't have to go sign your life away unless you have the job you want in your contract. I believe other branches like the marines and the army promise you that job but don't let you go immediately into the job after basic. Instead making you go down range and you could be two years into your enlistment before you actually start your tech school training for the job you signed up for.

Also, if you find that you don't like the job you're in you can cross train into another job.

I believe other branches like the marines and the army promise you that job but don't let you go immediately into the job after basic. Instead making you go down range and you could be two years into your enlistment before you actually start your tech school training for the job you signed up for.

Use to not be like this. Use to be that everybody after basic went straight to AIT. There was no gap. I know of plenty of stuff that has changes since I was in, this may be one.

How did her debt go from 37K to 75K? Is this another example of "If I don't pay my debts, they will go away"

Plus shes 55???? And STILL has loans.

Seems to me this may just be a deadbeat that thought she could wish her loans away, and when that didn't work she went for the make it go away for free route and now that THIS has failed she is crying to the media hoping that will work.

Blah blah blah..pay your damn debts.

How did her debt go from 37K to 75K? Is this another example of "If I don't pay my debts, they will go away"

Plus shes 55???? And STILL has loans.

Seems to me this may just be a deadbeat that thought she could wish her loans away, and when that didn't work she went for the make it go away for free route and now that THIS has failed she is crying to the media hoping that will work.

Blah blah blah..pay your damn debts.

They are trying to make a point, which the facts do not support.

Basically the woman (if she exists at all) is flat out lying. She couldn't have been in any program in the first place because her loan didn't qualify. So she is making the assertion that since she paid for 10 years, she should somehow be grandfathered in.

The blame for debt is squarely on the schools. They inflate tuition because they know that people with absolutely ZERO credit are capable of getting a student loan. Easy money.

Kinda sounds like your parents failed -- hard.

Didn't you say they're super-wealthy or something?

Yet of three kids, only one has a degree and he lives in China!

Sweet Jesus.

Basically the woman (if she exists at all) is flat out lying. She couldn't have been in any program in the first place because her loan didn't qualify. So she is making the assertion that since she paid for 10 years, she should somehow be grandfathered in.

The blame for debt is squarely on the schools. They inflate tuition because they know that people with absolutely ZERO credit are capable of getting a student loan. Easy money.

You guys don't know what you're talking about.

Her loans had to be consolidated into the direct program. Sounds like she didn't do this properly.

Thing is there's not really a way to know if you've done it right or not.

So she probably screwed up and that's on her. On the other hand she pays ten years thinking she's in this program and never is she once told -- oh no, you had to fill out Form 39278A not 39782B! :doh:

I could go on and on but we'll start with this very basic misunderstanding. And I don't hold it against you, it's just that you don't know anything about the subject you're developing strong opinions on and that's dangerous

Literally reminds me of the immigration debate. They pick some messican that is getting deported and somewhere in the story mention that he was convicted for welfare fraud. This does not make me feel bad for the messican

Her loans had to be consolidated into the direct program. Sounds like she didn't do this properly.

So she probably screwed up and that's on her. On the other hand she pays ten years thinking she's in this program and never is she once told -- oh no, you had to fill out Form 39278A not 39782B! :doh:

I could go on and on but we'll start with this very basic misunderstanding. And I don't hold it against you, it's just that you don't know anything about the subject you're developing strong opinions on and that's dangerous

Im not judging the program and/or its limitations, I am judging her.

Im not judging the program and/or its limitations, I am judging her.

Fair enough, you still don't know what you're talking about.

This is a very easy mistake to make, and no one ever tells you that you've made it. So you pay for ten years thinking you're on the right track and then you're told -- oops, due to a technicality none of that actually qualified and you're focked.

As for the amount going up, it's capitalized interest. That's a lot but over ten years at a pretty sh1tty interest rate (and that's all you can get, and you can never refinance) -- yeah, I'm sure it's possible.

Mine are gone. The wife has around $30k, but at a 1.2% rate, so we aren't in too big of a hurry to pay them off.

An old GF of mine had 4 years at Vandy, Communications Major :lol: then went to UMN for Law. Over $125k in school loans. She became a public defender instead of working for a private firm because she thought it was more righteous. :doh:

You are wrong, as usual. She didn't "probably screw up", she never qualified in the 1st place. The information is readily available. :dunno:

I noticed Bakari Sellers on CNN the other night mentioned he is 113k of student debt. It occurred to me that that guy as a featured talent (and working lawyer/partner?) must be extremely well paid, enough so to extinguish his debt when he chooses. But its also a smart play to just pay the minimum and string it along as there is a pretty decent chance student debt forgiveness comes around if the Dems ever run a decent candidate