Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

all great and accurate information.

in the case of Pats, I think its really simple though. As I responded to fireballer, his is not really an issue of needed to take into consideration different manufacuteres ideas of stiff, Aldila, UST, Graffaloy, etc...

he's talking TM stock steel versus TM stock graphite (which is going to be a cheap graphite shaft anyway).

you are correct on the uniflex and my assumption is thats what he was purchasing. Those mid level TM irons (burner, burner 2.0, rocketballz, M2 etc) all generally have that uniflex steel i think.

I mentioned flex because he seemed put off that they were Reg. I was stating to not dismiss the R because they may play like another manuf stiff.

Any hacks use the Taylormade M4 driver? I'm talking bogey golfers.

Any hacks use the Taylormade M4 driver? I'm talking bogey golfers.

I just used one last Thursday on a launch monitor. Saw absolutely no gain from my current driver Ping G Series driver.

I just used one last Thursday on a launch monitor. Saw absolutely no gain from my current driver Ping G Series driver.

How far do you currently hit it?

you serious brah? you may as well ask him how much he makes and how big his cack is

• Like 1

A very good drive for me might go 270-280. Typically hitting it about 240-250.

I have to work on lowering my launch angle (it's about 17-18 degrees) with spin rate about 2000-2100 rpm.

I choked Linda Lovelace.

with your stiff shaft

I mentioned flex because he seemed put off that they were Reg. I was stating to not dismiss the R because they may play like another manuf stiff.

i think he was excited to receive a wrong item that was technically more expensive but put off by them being graphite R versus Steel R when hes been used to steel.

i think he was excited to receive a wrong item that was technically more expensive but put off by them being graphite R versus Steel R when hes been used to steel.

Yes. I was also not sure if having graphite in my early 50s would be a better fit.

They were shipped back today and I will be getting steel shafts shortly.

with your stiff shaft

Damn, that was my next question.

10 yrs or so ago I bought a ping Tsi driver and 3 wood with ladies shafts at a yard sale with the intention of reshafting for play or resale. Think I paid $25 for both

Turns out my club repair guy said they required special inserts that was not cost effective to reshaft.

Hit them a ton with the L flex once I learned not to jerk it from the top after the club loaded. The shorter L shafts were easy to control and the whippey flex really gave em some pop. The local pro told me that Freddy played with weak flexes in his shafts.

Traded them with Dad for one of his S flex Launchers. He said as a senior he gained 25 yds over his old stiff flexes

10 yrs or so ago I bought a ping Tsi driver and 3 wood with ladies shafts at a yard sale with the intention of reshafting for play or resale. Think I paid $25 for both

Turns out my club repair guy said they required special inserts that was not cost effective to reshaft.

Hit them a ton with the L flex once I learned not to jerk it from the top after the club loaded. The shorter L shafts were easy to control and the whippey flex really gave em some pop. The local pro told me that Freddy played with weak flexes in his shafts.

Traded them with Dad for one of his S flex Launchers. He said as a senior he gained 25 yds over his old stiff flexes

I have heard there is a golf fitter on YouTube that blind tested people on stock L v R v S and it made no discernible difference over the average. They couldnt tell the difference. Makes me want to find that video.

Edit I butchered that description. One dude senior, R, S, XS. Stats identical. Oh bloody hell, crikey.

I have to work on lowering my launch angle (it's about 17-18 degrees) with spin rate about 2000-2100 rpm.

Holy cow, that's a hell of a lot of LA... I'm actually surprised your spin rate is as low as it is. With those kind of #s I'd expect to see it around the 2700 mark.

we used to mess around with a ladies 7 iron at work in the simulator. could freaking crank it. keeping it straight on the course was another issue as well as overall distance control.

I have heard there is a golf fitter on YouTube that blind tested people on stock L v R v S and it made no discernible difference over the average. They couldnt tell the difference. Makes me want to find that video.

Edit I butchered that description. One dude senior, R, S, XS. Stats identical. Oh bloody hell, crikey.

Golf is a game built on ego.

Everyone wants to hit a stiff flex and feel like they are a pro and everyone wants to hit their P wedge 160 yards

I see it all the time in wind. People (even pros) don't take enough club, their ego thinks they can reach no matter what

When I played this saturday, the humidity was brutal and was easily a one club difference. with 0 wind a 150 shot, I was hitting a 6 iron. I don't need to be proud if it lands on the green

Holy cow, that's a hell of a lot of LA... I'm actually surprised your spin rate is as low as it is. With those kind of #s I'd expect to see it around the 2700 mark.

I had raised my Ping G Series to 10 deg and was hitting sweetspot so my ball speed was 137ish with swing speed at 91. I hang back a little and lose angle VERY early in downswing (hence why I ordered that DST Compressor club).

Golf is a game built on ego.

Two key (often overlooked) indicators to spot a really good player:

how often they are pin high........and.....their divots.

• Like 1

Two key (often overlooked) indicators to spot a really good player:

how often they are pin high........and.....their divots.

divots are once again for ego

if pros didn't do it, amateurs wouldnt do it

divots are once again for ego

if pros didn't do it, amateurs wouldnt do it

I agree to a certain extent - for the hack....... But to those who can play a bit - not at all. And I'm not talking about the 6" sheet of turf that so artistically peels off the ground on tv - I'm talking about the every day, (sometimes barely noticeable) divot taken by most weekend golfers.

Divots tell me, first and foremost, if a player is compressing the ball. Single digit sticks compress the ball on the downward path - their divot is after the ball and extends for a few inches.. Anytime you see a divot before, or at, the ball - you know you've got somebody who doesn't understand the golf swing - prolly somebody who can't break 85............... Divots also tell me my path, my angle of approach and my alignment... Here in Texas we don't take the elegant type divots you guys get up North, on the East coast or at Augusta - but they are very helpful all the same.

I agree to a certain extent - for the hack....... But to those who can play a bit - not at all. And I'm not talking about the 6" sheet of turf that so artistically peels off the ground on tv - I'm talking about the every day, (sometimes barely noticeable) divot taken by most weekend golfers.

Divots tell me, first and foremost, if a player is compressing the ball. Single digit sticks compress the ball on the downward path - their divot is after the ball and extends for a few inches.. Anytime you see a divot before, or at, the ball - you know you've got somebody who doesn't understand the golf swing - prolly somebody who can't break 85............... Divots also tell me my path, my angle of approach and my alignment... Here in Texas we don't take the elegant type divots you guys get up North, on the East coast or at Augusta - but they are very helpful all the same.

I buy this 100%

People ask me how I get my irons off the ground without a divot.

I say great hand eye coordination and putting the ball in the very back of my stance. It works. :dunno: (sometimes)

I'll be going up to the Web.Com event this weekend, about a half hour from where I live. Incredible even watching those guys play. They hit it just as good the PGA guys, it's their short game that hold them from the big stage.

I'll be going up to the Web.Com event this weekend, about a half hour from where I live. Incredible even watching those guys play. They hit it just as good the PGA guys, it's their short game that hold them from the big stage.

Good luck! hope you win!

I assume you are playing. Why else would anyone go to a web.com event :dunno:

Good luck! hope you win!

I assume you are playing. Why else would anyone go to a web.com event :dunno:

Free food, free drink, free tickets. Plus I enjoy watching them play a course I've played before a few times :dunno:

I buy this 100%

People ask me how I get my irons off the ground without a divot.

I say great hand eye coordination and putting the ball in the very back of my stance. It works. :dunno: (sometimes)

Well as you know, there's always an exception to the rule.

Sweepers leave very little trace of ball contact - seldom take any kind of noticeable divot........ The most well known sweeper of all time is Lee Trevino - Lee actually damn near "pushed" the ball off the turf. Doing it this way is wonderful for accuracy - but it's a death blow to hitting it high and far... We have a sweeper in our group, he's not long, but that sumbiitch is always in the middle and he rarely shoots over 80.

Sweepers leave very little trace of ball contact - seldom take any kind of noticeable divot........ The most well known sweeper of all time is Lee Trevino - Lee actually damn near "pushed" the ball off the turf. Doing is this way is wonderful for accuracy - but it's a death blow to hitting it high and far... We have a sweeper in our group, he's never are down the fairway, but that sumbiitch is always in the middle and he rarely shoots over 80.

I am only not down the middle if I come across the ball when turning and I hit it left.

but I hit it with the distance of a senior

Sweepers leave very little trace of ball contact - seldom take any kind of noticeable divot........ The most well known sweeper of all time is Lee Trevino - Lee actually damn near "pushed" the ball off the turf. Doing is this way is wonderful for accuracy - but it's a death blow to hitting it high and far... We have a sweeper in our group, he's not long, but that sumbiitch is always in the middle and he rarely shoots over 80.

I am pretty much 'that' guy. My usual miss is a slight thin shot that goes pretty straight. Occasionally I hit a push with my driver but most often I'm in the fairway and hit my irons pretty good overall but picked/swept off the turf.

Talked to the Walrus for a minute or 2 this morning, out following his kid Kevin at the web.com event in western NY. Nice guy, pretty cool chatting it up with a former Masters champ :thumbsup:

Another meltdown.

Even thru 11 after birdy on hardest hole on the course. Then went double, triple, double, bogey. Parred out to finish with my 3rd 80 in a row.

Blaming it on the heat. It makes me drink too much beer.

Threw my back out Saturday - hurts like a biitch.. No golf for me right now.

Playing tonight for the 1st time since the last time I played

Played 14 on Saturday. Went out late, played to dark. I am not a great golfer, play 10 times a year, in fact I only realized that my 8&9 weren't in my bag after 3 holes. :doh: Shot 47 for the front, didn't keep the back score. The thing about me is, although I drive straight, it goes nowhere. Probably 220-230. I hit my irons appropriately, 5 iron, 180-185, and about 10 yards loss per club, but my driver is short. I can out drive it with the 3 wood.

Played 14 on Saturday. Went out late, played to dark. I am not a great golfer, play 10 times a year, in fact I only realized that my 8&9 weren't in my bag after 3 holes. :doh: Shot 47 for the front, didn't keep the back score. The thing about me is, although I drive straight, it goes nowhere. Probably 220-230. I hit my irons appropriately, 5 iron, 180-185, and about 10 yards loss per club, but my driver is short. I can out drive it with the 3 wood.

you hit it longer than I do

Review of the DST (Delayed Strike Technology) Compressor.

JFC.....shank city starting out. You have to really work at this thing to hit it right. It does help with your swing but you have to put time into it.

I played yesterday with my son, my brother and a friend. My son was tearing it up on the front 8. Was just +2 through 8 with a par 5 to finish the front. He is sitting pretty in 2 at the front of the green and decides to lob wedge it up to the pin. Bad choice (as I have been telling him). He proceeds to hit 3 of those lob wedges, 2 puts and gets a 7 on the hole to finish at 40.

I had a 44, so I am thinking he will finally beat me. He then faltered on the back (48) and I had a 41. He still hasn't beat me. :banana:

you hit it longer than I do

You could still outscore me. I hit one bad shot per hole that costs me 2 strokes. That 47 could have easily been a 42, yet it's always a 47. I need to play more.

I played yesterday with my son, my brother and a friend. My son was tearing it up on the front 8. Was just +2 through 8 with a par 5 to finish the front. He is sitting pretty in 2 at the front of the green and decides to lob wedge it up to the pin. Bad choice (as I have been telling him). He proceeds to hit 3 of those lob wedges, 2 puts and gets a 7 on the hole to finish at 40.

I had a 44, so I am thinking he will finally beat me. He then faltered on the back (48) and I had a 41. He still hasn't beat me. :banana:

its tough to not want to hit flop shots as a junior golfer. if you can get him out of that habbit, his scores will go way down. if he's at the front of the green, with nothing but green in front of him (meaning no bunker or valley to go over and he's not short sided or anything like that where a lob wedge would make sense), got to get into the mindset of using a gap wedge at the very least and get the ball rolling sooner. You obviously know this.

just wanted to chime in because this used to be me. Even on a 40-60 yard shot with nothing but green in front of me and no reason or need to fly it all the way back to the pin, I would still whip out the 60* and almost always mess it up. Skull it, chunk it or even if I hit it okay, It would land softly and stop 20 feet short. Took a while to get myself to start hitting lower shots with a less lofted club and let the ball run out to the pin.

its tough to not want to hit flop shots as a junior golfer. if you can get him out of that habbit, his scores will go way down. if he's at the front of the green, with nothing but green in front of him (meaning no bunker or valley to go over and he's not short sided or anything like that where a lob wedge would make sense), got to get into the mindset of using a gap wedge at the very least and get the ball rolling sooner. You obviously know this.

just wanted to chime in because this used to be me. Even on a 40-60 yard shot with nothing but green in front of me and no reason or need to fly it all the way back to the pin, I would still whip out the 60* and almost always mess it up. Skull it, chunk it or even if I hit it okay, It would land softly and stop 20 feet short. Took a while to get myself to start hitting lower shots with a less lofted club and let the ball run out to the pin.

I have the mindset of running the ball to the pin whenever possible. The sooner the ball gets on the ground the less trouble it can get into. :lol: