Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Smiling Drunk driver now not smiling anymore after being charged with manslaughter

This is what I don't like about DUI/OUI

If you drop your cell phone and reach down to get it and cause a terrible crash and someone dies and you are sober, you probably get off with the moniker "accident"

If you do the same thing and you've been drinking, now you're a murderer?

• Like 1

If you drop your cell phone and reach down to get it and cause a terrible crash and someone dies and you are sober, you probably get off with the moniker "accident"

I don't think that dropping your phone gets you off with an accident. If you end up killing someone due to negligent behavior, you are looking at manslaughter.

I don't think that dropping your phone gets you off with an accident. If you end up killing someone due to negligent behavior, you are looking at manslaughter.

semantics.

lets pretend the sun was in your eyes.

semantics.

The sun being in your eyes is pretty much the definition of accident

Willfully getting plastered and taking the wheel is something else.

semantics.

Sun being in your eyes is more of an accident, although if that is the case, then you are not supposed to be that close to the rear of the vehicle in front of you that you slam into them with such force that you kill someone.

Reaching for your cell phone is not an accident. Being drunk is absolutely not.

The sun being in your eyes is pretty much the definition of accident

Willfully getting plastered and taking the wheel is something else.

:rolleyes:

god, you focking people are obtuse.

In the case where (insert situation where it would be accident if sober and murder if drunk) they would use the drunkness to justify the charge. Like if you were sober they would just say well it’s bad but at least he wasn’t drunk, so accidents happen.

semantics.

I have one of the first S2000's that hit the states. A couple months after I got it some illegal in a mall parking lot backs in to it. Says she "didn't hear me" behind her. WTF? Anyways, takes a couple months to repair since it was so new and they had to order parts from Japan. Get it back, go to my Mom's to detail it, and as I'm driving back to my apartment some old fock turns left in front of me coming the other way and takes out the whole driver side front corner of the car. Apparently the sun got in his eyes and he thought it was a good idea to turn left in to oncoming traffic when he couldn't see. Focker. This has nothing to do with this thread but for the sun in the eyes comment, but it triggered rant mode.

:mad:

semantics.

Sometimes I pretend you're not a moron.

:rolleyes:

god, you focking people are obtuse.

It is hard to reason with someone on this subject if they don’t know the difference between manslaugher and murder!

Sometimes I pretend you're not a moron.

That is quite the imagination you have.

That is quite the imagination you have.

Understatement of the century. :D

Understatement of the century. :D

Do you imagine you make enough money to take your family on vacation?

The thing I dont like about DUI is people rationalizing it not being a big deal. I know just about everyone has done it, and many delude themselves into thinking they can "handle" their alcohol. But that in no way makes it akin to hitting someone because you dropped your phone or the sun was in your eyes.

If you were texting and driving, your case would be better, but driving drunk still requires more bad decisions IMO.

The thing I dont like about DUI is people rationalizing it not being a big deal. I know just about everyone has done it, and many delude themselves into thinking they can "handle" their alcohol. But that in no way makes it akin to hitting someone because you dropped your phone or the sun was in your eyes.

If you were texting and driving, your case would be better, but driving drunk still requires more bad decisions IMO.

Texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving. IIRC it claims more lives as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004

I think it's Steven Wright that talks about this. You get in all kinds of trouble if you text and drive.

So he writes letters long hand.

One of the problems I have a DUI and there are many it's simply this.

The randomness. I have known people who do you I'd literally every night 4 years or decades and never once got busted. Then some poor guy trying to entertain a client has two beers and gets rear-ended on the way home not even his fault and he's . Not only with the ticket, but professionally, with his insurance, the whole shebang.

Something seriously up with that.

Second, and related. In some states the first offense is literally a life killer. A felony conviction. Means you can't get a real job. Means you can't get insurance. The whole shebang in your whole life just unwinds because of one up. Yeah, I get that you could kill a kid with one up to. But compared to any other thing you do behind the wheel that would end up with simple man slaughter at worst, DUI is the crime De Jour because of sumbitch on the lifetime channel.

I'm not saying don't enforce it. But when you come by and my first point and my second Point? Something's wrong. Some guy purposefully DUIs every night for 20 years straight and lives a perfectly fine life. Some other guy gets busted for DUI for an accident he didn't even create? And his life is permanently ? That's not right either.

Be a gentleman and get her an Uber in the future.

That's just outsourcing date rape.

Damn ferreners molesting the women Americans don't want to.😠

If youre gonna suck a cack, you shouldnt be driving. Let him do it.

Nice

Sorry. Too easy.

You had to. Kudos

wood anyway

In the case where (insert situation where it would be accident if sober and murder if drunk) they would use the drunkness to justify the charge. Like if you were sober they would just say well it’s bad but at least he wasn’t drunk, so accidents happen.

Unless you've been drinking.

Not possible for an accident to happen then. It would have to be because you've been drinking.

Why can't being stupid being blamed for accidents? That should be a crime

Texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving. IIRC it claims more lives as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004

2012 U.S. Cell Phone and Driving Statistics. In 2012, 3,328 people were killed in distraction-related crashes. About 421,000 people were injured in crashes involving a distracted driver. In 2012, 11% of drivers under age 20 involved in fatal accidents were reported to be distracted at the time of the crash.

Not possible for an accident to happen then. It would have to be because you've been drinking.

It is a crime if you are stupid and cause an accident. The following are stupid:

- Getting behind the wheel while drunk (crime)

- Getting behind the wheel while on drugs (crime)

- driving while distracted; could be phone, sex, food, makeup, shaving, reading, etc. (crime)

- stupidly playing chicken and causing an accident (crime)

- going at extremely excessive rates of speed (20+ mph over speed limit) and causing an accident (crime)

I could go on an on, but driving while stupid and doing something stupid resulting in an accident is a crime.

Maybe the word youre looking for is negligent?

Maybe the word youre looking for is negligent?

:thumbsup:

It is a crime if you are stupid and cause an accident. The following are stupid:

- Getting behind the wheel while drunk (crime)

- Getting behind the wheel while on drugs (crime)

- driving while distracted; could be phone, sex, food, makeup, shaving, reading, etc. (crime)

- stupidly playing chicken and causing an accident (crime)

- going at extremely excessive rates of speed (20+ mph over speed limit) and causing an accident (crime)

I could go on an on, but driving while stupid and doing something stupid resulting in an accident is a crime.

Yeah, but when is the last time you heard of a chick getting a ticket/arrested for putting on her makeup in the car?

Yeah, but when is the last time you heard of a chick getting a ticket/arrested for putting on her makeup in the car?

I don't know that many vain girls at my age. If they did get caught, I doubt they would admit it to anyone. :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Negligent homicide is the killing of another person through gross negligence or without malice. It often includes death that is the result of the negligent operation of a motor vehicle, which includes the operation of a boat or snowmobile. It is characterized as a death caused by death by conduct that grossly deviated from ordinary care. Negligent homicide may be charged as a lesser-included offense of manslaughter. It is also sometimes referred to as "involuntary manslaughter". State laws vary, so local law should be consulted for specific requirements.