Sign in to follow this  
bandrus1

do you carry a CC balance?

I have never carried a credit card balance over from month to month. It would drive me nuts to do pay interest but it surprises me how many people I talk to say they are using their tax refunds to pay off CC debt.

Generally speaking, no. But my spending habits can fluctuate so if I end up with a small balance in a given month that isn't paid off I'm not too worried about it. It'll get paid off next month. Most of the time there's little to no balance though.

Never once in my life. I use a card for almost every purchase I make. And pay in full every month. And then happily collect my 3% cash back every few months.

Never once in my life. I use a card for almost every purchase I make. And pay in full every month. And then happily collect my 3% cash back every few months.

you get 3% on everything? what CC? I am looking to change maybe. I am same way

I have carried a balance but I don't pay interest. My Amazon card I pay off in full each month and get 5% credit back off Amazon purchases. One recent one I opened was zero interest for 18 months and a $500 credit if I spent a certain amount in 3 or 4 months. Sometimes it's too high to reach but still zero interest.

Me too...never had one, dont want one. Cash is king.

how does this even work? you are 300 miles from home and your transmission blows, you carry 4 grand in your pocket? You are out at a store and an amazing deal is offered but you only brought enough cash for what you need? I just dont get it

you get 3% on everything? what CC? I am looking to change maybe. I am same way

it's a Bank of America cash rewards Visa card. Had it for years. It's 3% on gas and groceries. 2% everything else

it's a Bank of America cash rewards Visa card. Had it for years. It's 3% on gas and groceries. 2% everything else

I see... I am calling mine this week to see if they offer any other cards

So far I'm the only one that has told the truth. I suspect every Greek will say they dont. All pay cash with their model wives, 8 in cacks, and million dollar incomes

Me too...never had one, dont want one. Cash is king.

I actually use a card for some things. Gas, online purchases, occasionally when I buy something big. I always pay it off, sometimes the same day.

So far I'm the only one that has told the truth. I suspect every Greek will say they dont. All pay cash with their model wives, 8 in cacks, and million dollar incomes

I have all of that except my woman isn't a wife and I don't have a million dollar income. But I seriously have never carried a credit card balance. Other than a house and car, I don't buy things that I can't afford.

Im really not lying. I purchased appliances for my house 60 months no interest and made monthly payments but never with interest. I have never had a major issue requiring me to pay a lot up front and pay it down so it would be only consumer debt in my case. I dont live beyond my needs in that department

I have a $5k or so balance. I have the cash in the bank and really can't say why I don't just pay it off.

Not bragging. I'm actually really cheap. That's why I refuse to pay interest. Paying mostly cash helps me keep up with how much I am spending. It's rich people who don't use cash.

I don't make payments on anything. If I can't pay cash, write a check, or pay of the card immediately, I don't buy it.

When I was young I got married and divorced quick. I racked up credit card debt fast as all my money was going to lawyers.

It is an awful feeling. After that I took the necessary steps to make sure the rest of my life would be debt free.

Now I do what Newbie does and just get the rewards and never pay interest

It's good you have a plan. I don't know how many offers you get but many will offer a balance transfer for 0% interest for 12 months at 3% of balance transfer amount. Some even come through with 0 balance transfer fee but they are more rare, esp if your credit is not good.

Not bragging. I'm actually really cheap. That's why I refuse to pay interest. Paying mostly cash helps me keep up with how much I am spending. It's rich people who don't use cash.

I don't make payments on anything. If I can't pay cash, write a check, or pay of the card immediately, I don't buy it.

Same here. Its more of a I know how much trouble I'd get in with one.

It's good you have a plan. I don't know how many offers you get but many will offer a balance transfer for 0% interest for 12 months at 3% of balance transfer amount. Some even come through with 0 balance transfer fee but they are more rare, esp if your credit is not good.

The only way I can belong on this board is to say my credit is outstanding..over 800. Yeah I carry a balance which my wife and I don't like but we, like many americans, overspent some with our first house. And we are making up for that. This is mostly her fault by the way.

But..

We have never defaulted, never whined, never asked for gubbermint help..we incurred the debt and we are paying it off. And I'm proud of that

Generally speaking, no. But my spending habits can fluctuate so if I end up with a small balance in a given month that isn't paid off I'm not too worried about it. It'll get paid off next month. Most of the time there's little to no balance though.

Pretty much the same. We typically put almost all expenses on the CC and earn stupid Disney Dollars.

95% of the time we pay it off.

The only way I can belong on this board is to say my credit is outstanding..over 800. Yeah I carry a balance which my wife and I don't like but we, like many americans, overspent some with our first house. And we are making up for that. This is mostly her fault by the way.

But..

We have never defaulted, never whined, never asked for gubbermint help..we incurred the debt and we are paying it off. And I'm proud of that

He asked if we had a current balance. I do not. It's not a contest. I have my reasons for not having one now. I went through a divorce and in the settlement I took the house and the house debt, the credit card debt, and she took the boat and the car. At the time, close to 8 years ago now, the credit card debt was prolly close to 15 k and I owed maybe 40 k on the house. She got a Mazda Speed6 and a Four Winns 16 footer I think. There was a 8k balance on the car and the boat was paid off so she basically walked scott free, plus I paid for the attorney, she just basically used mine. It was very cordial. I was getting phone calls non stop at all hours over that credit card debt and once paid off I vowed never to do that again and I haven't. I worked my ass off to pay it off and to pay the house off and I did and that Speed6 blew a tranny and she sold it for like a grand and the boat didn't get winterized properly and she basically gave it away. I'm not saying anything about my credit, just answering the OP's question and letting you know, been there done that, and that it's good you have a plan to get out of the CC debt.

But..

im rather pissed my credit score dropped about 30 points in the last 2 months because I put my name on a mortgage for my mother to purchase the house I grew up in from my father after they divorced this summer. My mom is the one paying it back but is self employed and does not take a paycheck so she has no proof of income so I needed to sign on along with my brother... so now 33 and 2 mortgages in my name but credit score still in the mid 700's and an ass load of equity

im still confused how people who dont have a CC AT ALL manage a crisis situation with no access to their cash

They're perfect. Everyone on this bored is perfect.

im still confused how people who dont have a CC AT ALL manage a crisis situation with no access to their cash

How would you buy something online?

I use a credit card for just about everything and rarely carry cash. Never carried a balance. I've had the card about a decade and never used the reward points. Same with frequent flier miles. So saving money on one hand while wasting it on the other.

How would you buy something online?

Debit card.

I can only speak for our situation. My wife has a credit card that she buys things with. I do not. I bought two cars with a check for the full amount. I just don't believe in them...she pays her balance like clockwork.

Id be surprised if both spouses dont have one....its possible...you may have the coin to pay cash, and hope you dont have a crisis.

But..

I think I hurt my credit score by cancelling all but one card and freezing my credit. But if you aren't taking out a loan, why does credit score matter?

Debit card.

I can only speak for our situation. My wife has a credit card that she buys things with. I do not. I bought two cars with a check for the full amount. I just don't believe in them...she pays her balance like clockwork.

Id be surprised if both spouses dont have one....its possible...you may have the coin to pay cash, and hope you dont have a crisis.

ohh, ok I figured no CC meant no debit when people were saying straight cash

Debit card.

I always thought you never use a debit card online. Not guaranteed against fraud like a credit card? Maybe that's changed.

Debit card.

I used a debit card exclusively for a while, but I thought they offered less protection if involved in identity theft/fraud.

I always thought you never use a debit card online. Not guaranteed against fraud like a credit card? Maybe that's changed.

Oh that I don't know. About all i buy is off amazon though?

I have way more in the bank than the limit on my card. How? In 2015, I spent about $16,000 for the year. In 2016, it was about $18,500. That's bills, food, gas, everything. I do use a card sometimes, but never for something I couldn't pay cash for.

I don't think any of this is bragging. I'm a cheap bastard with a decent job.