Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Free range parenting

Not a parent, but Jesus we are overprotective if this is considered a big deal. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/controversial-free-range-parenting-now-legal-utah-heres-means-203114763.html

The state of Utah has legalized a controversial childrearing method called “free-range parenting.”

On Friday, Gov. Gary Herbert signed bill SB65 that would allow kids the freedom to walk to and from school, wait in parked cars (while their parents run errands in a store, for example), and visit playgrounds solo, according to a story published Monday by the Associated Press. The bill, which doesn’t specify an age limit for the above activities, will go into effect May 8.

“I feel strongly about the issue because we have become so over-the-top when ‘protecting’ children that we are refusing to let them learn the lessons of self-reliance and problem-solving that they will need to be successful as adults,” Sen. Lincoln Fillmore, who sponsored the bill, tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

As outlined in the bill, the following situations would not qualify as neglect: traveling to and from school or recreational facilities by walking, running, or biking, playing outside, or sitting in a car unattended, provided the child is at least 9 years old and in reasonably safe conditions.

Free-range parenting allows children to grow up with limited parental supervision with the goal of instilling independence. It also utilizes a “common sense” approach to when kids should be left alone.

Since when weren't kids allowed to walk to school or play at the park alone?

If something were to happen to them, in many instances parents could be charged with neglect if they were not nearby

Since we let libtards have a voice. Time to stomp them back down again.

If something were to happen to them, in many instances parents could be charged with neglect if they were not nearby

What's the "something" and what is "nearby"?

What's the "something" and what is "nearby"?

Ok so let's say parents leave 10 year old Johny at home and he turns on the stove and severely burns himself... They would probably be charged with neglect since I would guess 10 would not be deemed reasonable age to be left alone. This looks like it is trying to change that

Parents Are Now Getting Arrested for Letting Their Kids Go to the Park Alone

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/15/debra_harrell_arrested_for_letting_her_9_year_old_daughter_go_to_the_park.html

Parents Under Investigation After 11-Year-Old Plays Alone in Yard for 90 Minutes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/parents-under-investigation-after-11-year-old-121600960882.html

When I was growing up this was just parenting.

Indeed. Long gone are the fun summer days of taking off on your bike in the morning with the only guidance of "be home by supper".

Indeed. Long gone are the fun summer days of taking off on your bike in the morning with the only guidance of "be home by supper".

I remember my mom giving me a couple dollars and saying not to come home before 5. Played stickball all day while she was banging the mailman. :thumbsup:

Parents Are Now Getting Arrested for Letting Their Kids Go to the Park Alone

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/15/debra_harrell_arrested_for_letting_her_9_year_old_daughter_go_to_the_park.html

Parents Under Investigation After 11-Year-Old Plays Alone in Yard for 90 Minutes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/parents-under-investigation-after-11-year-old-121600960882.html

Yup and these are just the ones we hear about.

And no cell phones, just mom yelling at the top of her lungs:

If you aren't home in 5 minutes your dad is going to whoop your ass$#@!

:D

This is how I remember it. I would walk a mile to school for many years and it was no big deal. Could go out and not be back til dinner anytime I wanted. Now kids today need support turtles or whatever just to get through a day without crying. Sad.

This is how I remember it. I would walk a mile to school for many years and it was no big deal. Could go out and not be back til dinner anytime I wanted. Now kids today need support turtles or whatever just to get through a day without crying. Sad.

My parents were always strict with me. Always had to be home to check in no more than 2 hours, usually an hour after I went out. Had to guess the time without a damn watch. What a pain in the ass

And no cell phones, just mom yelling at the top of her lungs:

If you aren't home in 5 minutes your dad is going to whoop your ass$#@!

:D

Moms whistle was as loud as a siren. No yell needed.

Moms whistle was as loud as a siren. No yell needed.

Your mom yells for me all the time.

My parents had certain streets that were our boundaries. Mostly for traffic reasons. Of course since thats where things like the mall were, we ignored those.

The other direction, fock, we went for miles. Had all sorts of hideouts and forts all over the woods and a pretty sweet hangout down in the storm drainage system.

During the summer we were pretty much thrown out of the house around 8am and didnt come back till dark.

All the kids in the area were the same. Roving gangs of bike kids. Sports were played. Fights were had. Vandalism and petty shopplifting were common. Eventually girls were introduced to the equation.

Sad how kids are brought up now.

They probably don't even let walk uphill in the snow both ways anymore.