Sign in to follow this  
Too Loud

Where would SF WR Eric Rogers rank in this rookie class?

I think this is a legit question with how terrible this year class is. I actually got serious about saying to myself that he is worth 2.6-2.8 for me. any thought?

I live in Calgary, so I got to see him play first hand.

Hes definitely an NFL calibre receiver.

but even if the talent is there, there is the risk that Kap wont be able to take advantage of his skillset.

but my analysis:

He runs good routes. Hes very good that way.

He's a Great athlete. very good body control in mid air. Great Jumping ability. He was a long jumper in high school.

He has above average hands(but not spectacular). He will make one or two spectacular grabs of a ball you thought was impossible to catch, but then may drop an easy one later in the game. I will say there arent a lot of bad drops, but it does happen on occasion. I can think of 3 or 4 from last season that come to mind.

He is fast too. but this is by CFL standards. I never saw what kind of time he got, but Corners playing 10 yards off the line were getting beat deep by him with regularity. He may also be Fast by NFL Standards, or he may be average. Problem is... I never saw him go up against an NFL corner. I also dont know what his 40 time would be. but if you can get ahold of that, you may have a better idea of how his speed would translate to the NFL.

He is also a Hard worker, committed to his craft. He will stay late to work on things with the Backup QB's until he resolves the issue.

he's also good off the field. doesnt get in trouble with the law. I met him a couple of times. He is a personable guy.

as for where to draft him in your rookie draft?

My bet is he is completely off the radar in most leagues. You may be able to get him with the latest rookie pick available. Hes more valuable than that, but why pay a 2nd for him if you can get him for a 3rd?

I live in Calgary, so I got to see him play first hand.

Hes definitely an NFL calibre receiver.

but even if the talent is there, there is the risk that Kap wont be able to take advantage of his skillset.

but my analysis:

He runs good routes. Hes very good that way.

He's a Great athlete. very good body control in mid air. Great Jumping ability. He was a long jumper in high school.

He has above average hands(but not spectacular). He will make one or two spectacular grabs of a ball you thought was impossible to catch, but then may drop an easy one later in the game. I will say there arent a lot of bad drops, but it does happen on occasion. I can think of 3 or 4 from last season that come to mind.

He is fast too. but this is by CFL standards. I never saw what kind of time he got, but Corners playing 10 yards off the line were getting beat deep by him with regularity. He may also be Fast by NFL Standards, or he may be average. Problem is... I never saw him go up against an NFL corner. I also dont know what his 40 time would be. but if you can get ahold of that, you may have a better idea of how his speed would translate to the NFL.

He is also a Hard worker, committed to his craft. He will stay late to work on things with the Backup QB's until he resolves the issue.

he's also good off the field. doesnt get in trouble with the law. I met him a couple of times. He is a personable guy.

as for where to draft him in your rookie draft?

My bet is he is completely off the radar in most leagues. You may be able to get him with the latest rookie pick available. Hes more valuable than that, but why pay a 2nd for him if you can get him for a 3rd?

for the record: I predict 5-600 yards receiving in his rookie NFL season.

If Kap turns things around, there is the potential for more. I think he is a good WR, but I question the guy throwing to him. He may not put up good numbers until Kap has been replaced.

I think the talking heads made every receiver drafted this year seem like they could all end up as very good receivers.

I think this is a legit question with how terrible this year class is. I actually got serious about saying to myself that he is worth 2.6-2.8 for me. any thought?

My thoughts are 2.06-2.08 seems a little high, that said you never know what is going to happen in a rookie draft mid to late 2nd round on, so I think you just take the guy you like the most at that point rather than trying to fart around getting them later......at least in the leagues I play in its the best course.

If you like him better than the others on the board there take him. The opportunity seems nice in SF for somebody across from Torrey and since Smith has yet to prove he could be any kind of a target hog whoever wins the job could be a sneaky volume player with SF likely playing from behind a lot and running a lot of plays per game. If you happen to own Deandre Smelter it might be an even better pick since it would make sense for the team to go with one of those 2 and try to develop them and you would own the winner. Just my early take.

I got him on waivers in a couple of leagues in the winter. Was able to get him really late in my rookie drafts the last few weeks. 5th round late

hey guys, can we let this thread die?

This is an under the radar pick that I really dont want to create a bunch of hype for. I wanna take him late. not early.

hey guys, can we let this thread die?

This is an under the radar pick that I really dont want to create a bunch of hype for. I wanna take him late. not early.

Looks like the next Duron Carter to me :)

Yiiiip.

FYI, Duron Carter was never that good.

Yeah he put up 1000 yards in the CFL but they play an 18 game season there. lots of CFL WR's do that.

My belief is that Carter only got a shot in the NFL because of his bloodlines. he was never THAT good.

anyhow, here is a highlight package for those who care.

I took him at 11.04 in a 20 team start up dynasty league draft. 14 round draft, 1ppr. He's my 'deep sleeper' pick this year, and I didn't think he'd last to my next pick at 12.17 because talent is getting thin. Smelter went 8.02. One of he or Rogers should put up respectable numbers in Kellys offense.

Its still a bit of a crapshoot with Kaep at QB, but I think he can put up some numbers.

The real problem I have is that I dont know how his speed & skill translates to the NFL level. I think he is definitely fast enough.

the real question may be whether he can fight off the jam (which he didnt deal a lot with at the CFL level because of the wider field and the rules which make it tougher to Jam at the line.)

As a result, I didnt see a lot of situations where teams tried to jam him at the line. i saw enough situations where he would be double covered and his speed and shiftiness got him open anyways. and hes good at the jump ball. I've seen him outjump mulitiple defenders and come down with the ball. I think one or two of those are in the highlight package I posted earlier.

anyhow, I think he could easily be a #3, possibly a #2 guy. I dont see him beating out Torrey Smith for the #1 spot, but this is the kind of offense where the #2 guy could put up better numbers simply because Kaep just doesnt throw the deep ball very well and cant take full advantage of Torrey Smiths skill set.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/05/49ers-lose-cfl-star-eric-rogers-to-torn-acl/

Eric Rogers led the Canadian Football League in receiving yards last season and was a highly sought after prospect when he decided to play south of the border this year. The 49ers signed him by guaranteeing him $225,000, the biggest guarantee for a CFL player since the Dolphins gave Cameron Wake a $1 million signing bonus in 2008.

And now Rogers’ first NFL season is over before it started.

San Francisco coach Chip Kelly announced today that Rogers suffered a torn ACL in practice and will miss the entire season. Rogers suffered the injury while doing a non-contact kickoff coverage drill.

Tragedy. Heal quickly Eric.

Well, hes out a year. Hopefully he gets another shot next year.

Smelter now becomes a strong dynasty target IMO. He was raw and injured or he would have gone much higher in the NFL draft.

Now he is healthy enough to be playing, but obviously way behind having come in raw and missing a whole year. He may not yet be 100% either.

One cannot underestimate the value of snaps (with the ones) in his situation and Smelters snaps just went up by virtue of the Rogers injury. Day 1 without Rogers it was Smelter with the ones and he burned the D for a TD immediately. Later in the day he tried the same move and the CB got a pick at the GL, after practice Smelter said he should have broken up the the pass and he's 100% right. Players learn through reps.................love Smelter as a risk/reward dynasty target right now................should know a lot more by next off-season at which point he can be dumped if necessary for an incoming rook.

Smelter now becomes a strong dynasty target IMO. He was raw and injured or he would have gone much higher in the NFL draft.

Now he is healthy enough to be playing, but obviously way behind having come in raw and missing a whole year. He may not yet be 100% either.

One cannot underestimate the value of snaps (with the ones) in his situation and Smelters snaps just went up by virtue of the Rogers injury. Day 1 without Rogers it was Smelter with the ones and he burned the D for a TD immediately. Later in the day he tried the same move and the CB got a pick at the GL, after practice Smelter said he should have broken up the the pass and he's 100% right. Players learn through reps.................love Smelter as a risk/reward dynasty target right now................should know a lot more by next off-season at which point he can be dumped if necessary for an incoming rook.

I agree. Just traded him away in our dynasty league as part of a package for one of my favorite running back stashes Spencer Ware, and a few older vets to make my team more competitive this year. I may regret trading him away, although my team has so many receivers on it as is that I can't keep all of them.

I agree. Just traded him away in our dynasty league as part of a package for one of my favorite running back stashes Spencer Ware, and a few older vets to make my team more competitive this year. I may regret trading him away, although my team has so many receivers on it as is that I can't keep all of them.

Yeah, I mean I definitely should have added, I really like him relative to his likely cost.

I doubt Rogers going down will have changed the equation for most. His owners probably think if he's good he's going to beat out Rogers anyway so no biggie............ but its those extra reps he should get I like personally. The thing is its possible he will never be the same physically after his injury and its also possible he will be another Stephen Hill even if he is regains the athleticism. He does have WR1 potential IMO if all goes right......... so its the optionality I like and the idea that with the reps there is probably a cut bait point by next off-season, we should know what he is by then to some extent.