Sign in to follow this  
SpenceToons

Valentine's Day - the Team NFL Superbar

When the calendar hits February 14, my thoughts tend to gravitate toward…..chocolate. I was getting wistful this morning thinking about the time I bit into something called a Team NFL Superbar, which turned out to be the thickest, richest, creamiest, and best chocolate bar I’ve ever had, even to this day. They were available at my local gas station, circa 1990-1991, cost twice as much as a Snickers, and I was lucky enough to snare three of them before the cardboard display that housed them disappeared…never to be seen again.

I googled it and came back with a couple of snippets…

From the trade journal Amusement Business Nov 19, 1990:

“NFL Introduces New Candy Line

NEW YORK - The National Football League (NFL) once again is capitalizing on the strong marketing power of its name with the launching of a new candy line called "Team NFL Confections."

A joint venture between NFL Properties Inc., and Impel Marketing Inc., a Durham, N.C.-based sales and marketing firm, the new five-product line was unveiled to the press here on Nov. 7.

To be sold at the retail level in convenience stores and supermarkets, the five items and their average price include: Super Bar, a thick milk chocolate bar filled with nougat, almonds and caramel ($1); TD's (short for touchdown), chocolate-covered almond snacks with candy coating in different team colors. …”

From the Orlando Sentinel Jan 24, 1991:

“…So Super Bowl XXV is this Sunday, and so is your big party. Don't choke. The NFL is here to save your day . . . and make a few extra bucks while it's at it.

The big guys hired themselves a party consultant to help turn armchair quarterbacks into creative hosts and hawk the league's new line of chocolates, Team NFL Confections. There's a regulation-size, hollow milk-chocolate football; assorted miniature ''Team Bars'' with team logos and trivia on the wrappers; chocolate and candy-coated almonds called ''TDs;'' and a caramel and almond candy bar called the ''Super Bar.''….”

So, have any of you ever had one of these and did you like it as much as I did ?

And the 64 dollar question…does anyone know of a candy company still making these (perhaps made under a different name, perhaps only sold locally...) ? I’d love to order myself a case. :)

• Like 1

There you go with the memories again.

Thank you. :cheers:

edited to add: I do recall them being marketed, but never had the pleasure of trying one myself. It sounds like I missed out. : )