Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Look-Alike Players: Matthew Stafford vs. Cam Newton

Redraft: Matthew Stafford or Cam Newton?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft: Stafford or Newton?

• Matthew Stafford
    • Cam Newton

It's time for another summer of Look-Alike Player threads...if you're new to the Board, every few days during the summer, I will try to post a thread that lists two players who are very close in value in redraft situations. Simply vote for the player you feel should be drafted first and then add comments about your selection if you would like.

This is non-PPR for Look-Alike matchups that involve RBs, WRs, or TEs. Just standard point for every 10 yards and 6 for TDs.

Our third Look-Alike player matchup of the summer is: Matthew Stafford vs. Cam Newton

Previous matchup results

Miles Austin leads Dez Bryant, 18-14.

Steven Jackson leads Frank Gore, 14-5.

Thanks for your participation!!

Uhm....not sure how you could confuse the two.....one's white and the other is black. :unsure:

Give me the QB on the better offense throwing to a better group of receivers, one of whom is the best in the league. Stafford, though injury plagued, started to shine in 2010 before breaking out last year. I don't think you'll see much of a regression from him in 2012.

Cam? He'll be very good, but can you really expect the same number of rush TDs? Didn't he drastically tail off the latter part of 2011? Did defenses figure him out? Injury questions aside, I think Cam has more to prove than Stafford, which is why I give Stafford the nod.

Stafford is my choice, but he does have more risk with his past injuries.

Another year of mentioning staffords injury potential every time he is talked about...

I do not see much of a decline and if anything maybe an incline in production for stafford.

I think cam has a greater risk of a decline in production. I am still surprised they didnt do more to upgrade their wr. They did upgrade their rb though, again.

Stafford's got a proven injury history, Cam's style tends to lead to more injuries.

I'll take Stafford's more proven production and better supporting cast over Newton's (slightly) higher upside,

This one is easier to me.

Mathew Stafford is easily capable of a repeat of 5k and 40 scores.

Cam Newton will not rush for 14 scores again due to a combination of trying to keep him healthy as well as defenses keying on his run, spying him etc....

So it boils down to this question, can Cam Newton make the leap from low 20's passing scores to mid 30's?

I don't think he is ready to do that..... yet

I agree with the masses. My vote is for Stafford.

Not only is his supporting cast better but the Lions secondary is going to put them in plenty of shoot outs this season. Plus the drafting of Reiff in the 1st round should help solidify their offensive line.

Cam is great but I like Stafford's situation a little better.

Stafford. I just have a feeling Cam is going to regress in fantasy. I think he'll be running less, especially around the goal line. I may be way off though.

I've got the difficult job of choosing between Newton and Ryan Mathews as my 1 keeper this year.

Megatron makes me lean towards Stafford over Cam

Not to mention Titus Young.... As long as he stops sucker punching Detroit's best defensive back during practice.

This one is easier to me.

Mathew Stafford is easily capable of a repeat of 5k and 40 scores.

Cam Newton will not rush for 14 scores again due to a combination of trying to keep him healthy as well as defenses keying on his run, spying him etc....

So it boils down to this question, can Cam Newton make the leap from low 20's passing scores to mid 30's?

I don't think he is ready to do that..... yet

:thumbsup:

For all these years I never opened one of these threads. I thought they really were about players who actually looked like one another.

When I saw this one I was thought "How in the hell does Cam look like Stafford?"

Should have opened one earlier. Some good FF convo going on. :doh:

For all these years I never opened one of these threads. I thought they really were about players who actually looked like one another.

When I saw this one I was thought "How in the hell does Cam look like Stafford?"

Should have opened one earlier. Some good FF convo going on. :doh:

Ha! Did you ever come across a thread titled, Look-Alike Players: Tiki Barber vs. Ronde Barber?

If Cam can throw like he did last year -- 5 yards and in Cam in running it and he scores almost every time -- less than 10 rushing TD's I would be shocked. Stafford is totally reliant on his arm and passing game. Cam gives you a solid passing QB AN a solid #2 RB all in 1

I would take Stafford right before Cam in redraft and Cam right before Stafford in a dynasty. I think Stafford will be a little better this season but Cam could have a big break out season if he picks up where he left off. If he does he could be the top QB. Stafford could do the same as well though. very close.

As we saw with Vick's drop last year, going from 9 rushing TDs to 1, it's hard to count on QB rush TDs. This has long been the case in the NFL. I agree that Cam has better tools than any other heavy-running QB we've seen recently and was a bigger part of the goal-line offense than anyone expect, but I'll still have to take Stafford here. Given all the chaos in New Orleans, I'm actually considering Stafford as my #3 QB for this season. If I'm taking a QB early, give me a pocket passer with an all-pro receiver, and let me mitigate the risk on my investment.

I voted Stafford, but I'm bias. I have him as a keeper in my auction for $11 out of a $200 bankroll.

That's not a good reason to vote for him... Honestly I think that they do look a little bit alike. It's all in the eyes.

I voted Stafford, but I'm bias. I have him as a keeper in my auction for $11 out of a $200 bankroll.

I got Cam for a buck.

Was trying to think of some other polls to do:

Gronk vs Graham?

Another good one. Make it happen FumbleWeed!

Was trying to think of some other polls to do:

Gronk vs Graham?

Gronk vs Graham

Maclin vs Jackson vs antonio Brown

eli vs Peyton

McFadden vs. ADP

sproles vs reggie bush

Gronk vs Graham

eli vs Peyton

McFadden vs. ADP

sproles vs reggie bush

All good ones. May I suggest Lynch vs McFadden. There ADPs are closer and they seem like better bets to be 100% to start the season.

Gronk vs Graham

eli vs Peyton

McFadden vs. ADP

sproles vs reggie bush

No love for Chris Johnson vs Ryan Mathews?