Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***The Official Seattle Seahawks IN-Season Thread 2014-15***

As a Cards fan I wish we had an NFL starting QB, but nevertheless the defense will be stoked and that stadium is going to be rocking Sunday night. :cheers:

Can't wait to watch the 12th man take over Zona again.

Can't wait to watch the 12th man take over Zona again.

Since our new stadium was built, Cardinal opponents have the most false starts in the league. So we have the true 12th man. You do have a pretty flag though. :cheers:

Since our new stadium was built, Cardinal opponents have the most false starts in the league. So we have the true 12th man. You do have a pretty flag though. :cheers:

The Cowboys are 10-4. The Hawks are 10-4. If both teams are *the only ones* who finish 12-4, then the Cowboys win the tiebreaker on account of beating the Hawks in Seattle earlier this season.

However, if either GB or the Lions joins both of these teams at 12-4, then the Cowboys' victory over the Hawks no longer factors into the tiebreaker. At that point, the tiebreaker is I think record in the conference, and the Hawks would vault ahead of the Cowboys (projected 10-2 NFC record versus projected 8-4).

What's crazy is, the Hawks could win at Arizona in Wk16, be on the cusp of a #1 seed, and still end up out of the playoffs entirely. This is how:

Week 16 Games

Lions win at Chicago

Packers win at Tampa

Eagles win at Washington

Cowboys lose vs. Indianapolis

Seattle win at Arizona

Week 17 games

Rams win at Seattle

Eagles win at Giants

Cowboys win at Washington

Arizona wins at San Fran

Packers and Lions tie in Green Bay

I didn't say it was likely, I said it was possible. In this event, both the Eagles and Cowboys finish 11-5, and the Eagles win the division (per ESPN playoff machine). The Cards win the #1 seed finishing 12-4. The Lions get the #2 seed finishing 11-4-1. The Eagles get the #3 seed at 11-5. Whichever wretched NFC South team survives that crappy division gets the #4 seed (possibly even with a 6-10 record). Then the Pack get the #5 seed at 11-4-1. That leaves just the Cowboys and the Hawks at 11-5 overall, and the Pokes win the #6 seed on account of the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Since ties rarely happen, I give this a 1% chance of happening. You would need 10 games to break exactly right. Or wrong, depending on your point of view. But if you're wondering why the Hawks have not clinched a playoff spot, this is why.

Great breakdown. Imma get on the horn with Mark Murphy this minute to clue him in on how to shut the 'Hawks out of the playoffs week 17.

:lol:

:cheers:

Great breakdown. Imma get on the horn with Mark Murphy this minute to clue him in on how to shut the 'Hawks out of the playoffs week 17.

Not that this really needs to be said, but whatever karma Murphy might feel about colluding to eliminate the Hawks (and by extension, getting a #5 or #6 seed) probably pales in comparison to what a win over the Lions would do, which is give them a #2 seed and a first-round bye.

• Like 1

Not that this really needs to be said, but whatever karma Murphy might feel about colluding to eliminate the Hawks (and by extension, getting a #5 or #6 seed) probably pales in comparison to what a win over the Lions would do, which is give them a #2 seed and a first-round bye.

Of course you're right; it didn't need to be said. :lol:

Early salary cap projections for next year list Seattle as about 34 million under the cap, the 5th most money available among all teams. San Fran and Arizona are about 10 million above the cap, St Louis around the cap.

No reason to cut Lynch. Extension for Wilson should be easy. Resign Wagner, maybe Wright and/or Maxwell, hell, lots of choices of people that can be resigned if the team wants them, like Okung or Carpenter, neither of which I'm crazy about at all. Kearse is a restricted free agent, so maybe rework a deal. And maybe make a move for a couple of bargain free agents, like Kevin Williams was this year.

All things considered, this team is very well managed in every way.

Early salary cap projections for next year list Seattle as about 34 million under the cap, the 5th most money available among all teams. San Fran and Arizona are about 10 million above the cap, St Louis around the cap.

No reason to cut Lynch. Extension for Wilson should be easy. Resign Wagner, maybe Wright and/or Maxwell, hell, lots of choices of people that can be resigned if the team wants them, like Okung or Carpenter, neither of which I'm crazy about at all. Kearse is a restricted free agent, so maybe rework a deal. And maybe make a move for a couple of bargain free agents, like Kevin Williams was this year.

All things considered, this team is very well managed in every way.

Wagner is a must. Irreplaceable, and the 2nd most important guy on D after Earl Thomas.

Kearse is a must, not because he's Jerry Rice, but because of the circumstances. As thin as we are at WR, we can't afford to turn into the western satellite office of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Extension for Wilson, obviously.

I would like to see us re-sign both Wright and Maxwell, although I don't think either is irreplaceable. Letting Max go would mean installing either Lane or Simon at CB and then adding more depth to backfill.

I hate to say it, but I think this is Lynch's swan song. He's 28 years old, and he has been delivering and absorbing punishment for a long time. He's the most Jim Brown-like RB we've seen in years, and like Brown, I think Lynch calls it quits after the season.

I think we can slot in Bailey to take Okung's place. He's constantly injured, and for the amount of money it would take to franchise him, or sign him to a LT deal, I would rather go with Bailey and draft more depth for the bench. That also leaves more cap room for the other guys I mentioned.

I can't decide about Carp. Is his improved performance this year (improved to 'decent' from 'crap') a sign that he finally gets it? Or a sign that he likes to stay employed and he'll regress next year if we give him a deal? For small dollars I'd be willing to keep him I guess.

I'd like to keep Wagner and Wright, but I think the plan has been to pay the DL and secondary, and go cheap with LB. So...Wagner is resigned because it's obvious how important he is. Wright might get a much more lucrative offer elsewhere. I think Irvin has another year on his deal. Malcolm Smith is probably gone. I guess Pierre-Louis is the fall back plan to replace Wright and Coyle hangs around.

Avril is a question mark. His value is obvious in the pressure he brings but he doesn't have the stats this year in sacks. I'd like to keep him if he isn't looking for a deal bigger than Bennett. Our defense really hums when the pressure is coming from the line and no blitz is needed. Jordan Hill has suddenly started making plays, so maybe Mebane is expendable. Maybe.

Our secondary was decimated by injuries, but there is a ton of young talent there, unlike letting Thurmond and Browner walk. Simon is really developing nicely, but when Maxwell came back from his injuries, the defense looked like it's self again. He's more important than even I realized. Simon can play the outside, and Maxwell can be really effective in the slot. And Maxwell can play the outside as well. That versatility is such a nice thing to have. Lane and Burley I think are good for another year.

The offense will always be paid less. Sure, Wilson will get paid, and Lynch if he stays. But everything else is the discount bin. Cheap WRs, cheap linemen, with the exception of Unger and Okung. Miller got a pay cut and the rest of the TEs are cheap. It's scraping the bottom of the barrel to find starters at some of these positions. It's basically, "Hey, Russell, go out there and make some miracles happen, all by yourself, every week."

• Like 1

I'd like to keep Wagner and Wright, but I think the plan has been to pay the DL and secondary, and go cheap with LB. So...Wagner is resigned because it's obvious how important he is. Wright might get a much more lucrative offer elsewhere. I think Irvin has another year on his deal. Malcolm Smith is probably gone. I guess Pierre-Louis is the fall back plan to replace Wright and Coyne hangs around.

Avril is a question mark. His value is obvious in the pressure he brings but he doesn't have the stats this year in sacks. I'd like to keep him if he isn't looking for a deal bigger than Bennett. Our defense really hums when the pressure is coming from the line and no blitz is needed. Jordan Hill has suddenly started making plays, so maybe Mebane is expendable. Maybe.

Our secondary was decimated by injuries, but there is a ton of young talent there, unlike letting Thurmond and Browner walk. Simon is really developing nicely, but when Maxwell came back from his injuries, the defense looked like it's self again. He's more important than even I realized. Simon can play the outside, and Maxwell can be really effective in the slot. And Maxwell can play the outside as well. That versatility is such a nice thing to have. Lane and Burley I think are good for another year.

The offense will always be paid less. Sure, Wilson will get paid, and Lynch if he stays. But everything else is the discount bin. Cheap WRs, cheap linemen, with the exception of Unger and Okung. Miller got a pay cut and the rest of the TEs are cheap. It's scraping the bottom of the barrel to find starters at some of these positions. It's basically, "Hey, Russell, go out there and make some miracles happen, all by yourself, every week."

Yeah was just getting ready to post my thoughts on Maxwell... I think you captured a lot of it here though.

I think him and Wagner are major important guys. I think it was really noticed on Def once these two came back along with a healthy Cam.

My priority:

1. R. Wilson of course

2. Wagner - HUGE - Most important against the run.

3. Lynch - We don't have to keep him, but I think we should. He's our offensive "muscle" and our face to the offense. He runs through people unlike Turbin or Michael. I think we should try and keep him. That being said, he's probably going to be gone for others on this list.

4. Maxwell - We have depth, but not that much. I like Lane a lot. I hate burley. Simon/Thurman get hurt a lot. Max is right up there with Sherman to me and locks down his matchup regardless of how much he's tested. Still pretty young. Our def is now in place with him back. I think he's a huge factor why were playing so well right now. Along with Wagner.

5. Avril - Clemmons gone showed up this year. Really missed his pass rush. Avril is a carbon copy of him. Sure his stats might be down, but it's because teams are focused on shutting him down without fear of much else. (Have to say Bennett is playing way better then earlier)

But, when we really need a pass rush - It's Avril. (We need a compliment to him though)

6. Kearse - Pretty important, but he hasn't stepped up that much. He would be a loss for sure, and force us into looking at WR once again. Heck, we might need to anyway.

7. I'd like to keep Wright/LB if possible, but not maditory. I really like the Pierre-Louis kid a lot! (I think M. Smith can go instead)

Cuts/Let go guy's that I don't care about or last choicies:

-Irvin - For sure gone. He's not the answer at any postion.

-Mebane - He'd be last on my list of priorities to keep, but Hill is doing fantastic now and we need new blood here anyway. Mebane has never had a pass rush. Stops the run ok, but I don't see a differance without him in the last 3 games. He's a guy you keep if possible.

-M. Smith - Where is he? I never even see him. He can be gone as far as I'm concerned.

-Okung/Carp - I really don't care. If either wants big money - See ya. Bailey is just as good IMO. We need to revap the line anyway, and Okung is always getting hurt. I'd say Okung over Carp because he's a LT, but this is not a priority to me.

NEEDS:

1. Oline, Stud TE, DE, DT if no Mebane, FB, probably WR again

One thing I am hoping is that if NOP ends up cutting Colston, he would be a bargain for us. Would fill out our WR core, and allow us to focus on our OL/DL needs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/18/seahawks-extend-k-j-wright/

Seahawks extend K.J. Wright

The Seahawks have locked up a young starter on their stellar defense for the next four years. KJ Wright, the 25-year-old linebacker who has started all 14 games this season, has signed a four-year extension. “In the offseason, we identified K.J. as one of our core players moving forward and aimed to keep him as a part of the Seahawks family for a long time,” G.M. John Schneider said in a statement. “The timing of this signing gives us the ability to keep as many of our core players together as we possibly can. Since Day One, K.J. has been a true professional in his daily approach and we are excited for K.J., his family and the 12s to keep him in the organization.” The Seahawks drafted Wright with the 99th overall pick in 2011 and he became a starter as a rookie. He’s a big part of the Seahawks’ defensive success and would have been a big target of other teams in free agency next year, but now he’s in Seattle for the long haul.

Edit: 4 years, 27 million. Pretty solid deal all around.

Epic discussion between fans knowledgeable with their team. Great insight, and what gives this board its appeal.

BTW this team is f*cking nuts if it lets Lynch walk.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/18/seahawks-extend-k-j-wright/

Seahawks extend K.J. Wright

The Seahawks have locked up a young starter on their stellar defense for the next four years. KJ Wright, the 25-year-old linebacker who has started all 14 games this season, has signed a four-year extension. “In the offseason, we identified K.J. as one of our core players moving forward and aimed to keep him as a part of the Seahawks family for a long time,” G.M. John Schneider said in a statement. “The timing of this signing gives us the ability to keep as many of our core players together as we possibly can. Since Day One, K.J. has been a true professional in his daily approach and we are excited for K.J., his family and the 12s to keep him in the organization.” The Seahawks drafted Wright with the 99th overall pick in 2011 and he became a starter as a rookie. He’s a big part of the Seahawks’ defensive success and would have been a big target of other teams in free agency next year, but now he’s in Seattle for the long haul.

Edit: 4 years, 27 million. Pretty solid deal all around.

Love that they are starting early! Love me some John Schneider. :)

The more I think about it, KJ is a pretty important part for us and very solid player who's young. Our Def. is getting locked up.

Glad they locked him up early so we don't get overwhelmed later with all our other guy's.

Good job John.

23 - 3 win this week. (Getting that first round bye and home field)

Go Hawks

Picking the side: 11-2
Against the spread: 12-1

Seattle Seahawks (-8.5) at Arizona Cardinals

Let’s look at some numbers:

Seattle Defense is ranked #1 vs Pass, Arizona is ranked #28

Seattle Defense is ranked #5 vs rush, Arizona is ranked #6

Seattle Defense gives up 17.3 pts per game, Arizona gives up 17.4 points per game

Seattle Defense gives up 272.4 yards per game, Arizona gives up 350 yards per game

Seattle Offense is #1 rushing the ball, Arizona is #27 rushing the ball

Seattle Offense is #31 passing the ball, Arizona is #15 passing the ball

Seattle has outgained 12 of its 14 opponents in total yards.

Arizona has been outgained in each of its last 4 games in total yards

Arizona has been outplayed on a yards per play basis in each of the last 4 games:

4.2 ypp to 5.3 vs Seattle

6.6 ypp to 6.8 to Atlanta

5.7 ypp vs 6.5 to Kansas City

4.3 ypp vs 4.6 to St Louis

To start with, I said recently that of the final three games to finish the season, Seattle would have the easiest time with Arizona, which sounds a bit insane. It’s not that Arizona can’t possibly win this game. The unexpected happens. Just look at North Korea mushroom stamping the United States and wiping it’s d!ck on America’s drapes. Stuff happens. Arizona has been a bit fortunate this year and the regression to the mean has been in effect the past month or so, where their record is more indicative of their overall statistics. Just look at the points given up vs. yardage allowed comparison. They give up 28% more yardage per game than Seattle, but give up the same points. For one, the red zone success rate has to be taken into account as early in the year Seattle has leaky in giving up TDs. But Arizona this season had a habit of forcing many key turnovers in ending opponent’s drives, some of which is random good luck and some due to their above average defensive play. But it’s not really a “great defense”, as we see by their #28 ranked pass defense. Seattle is the better defensive team across the board. The question remains if Seattle can pass effectively to beat Arizona, the biggest area ripe for exploitation. Russell Wilson has been throwing more quick and decisive throws the past couple of weeks, more slants in particular, which will effectively counteract the pressure Arizona will bring. Arizona did a nice job in bottling up Wilson in the first meeting on the read option, so Wilson will have to throw to move the ball. But no team can really shut down Wilson’s scrambling, so there will be broken plays and some long completions, as in every game. Lynch has been facing a series of top notch rush defenses the past month, so he hasn’t had really stellar statistical games. But look for more catches out of the backfield to get him in space. Seattle will move the ball somewhat. Actually, they are much better in moving the ball than one would realize because they constantly have drives derailed by penalties. They lead the league in penalty yard disparity by a historically wide gap. Last week, when Seattle had 7 penalties to San Fran’s 8, it was the first time since Week One that Seattle did not have more penalties called on them than their opponent. When Arizona has the ball, well, that is the biggest mismatch in the game. Even before losing Stanton. Yeah, Stanton had a limited practice session yesterday, but he’s not playing. I watched Ryan Lindley do his thing for San Diego St and thought he was a pretty solid college QB. He’s just going to be overmatched in this game completely. Last week, the best thing Kaepernick did vs Seattle’s defense was run for his life and gain some yardage, which Lindley cannot do. To offset Lindley’s reletaive inexperience will be the feeble and completely ineffective Arizona running game. If Arizona does not force a turnover or make some special teams play, I will predict that the Cardinals will not cross midfield on offense. The worst thing Arizona call do is go downfield with the ball, where INTs will happen. Expect Arizona to run, run, short pass, punt a lot. Conservative as fock. Bruce Arians is hyping this game up in the lockerroom, but I question this strategy. He got them fired up to play in Seattle a few weeks ago, and how did that work out? The Cardinals are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to win this game. But that can be counterintuitive, as the Cardinals might run onto the field with so much self pressure, they will be running around with puckered up buttholes as if they were smuggling potato chips up their asses and did not want to break a single chip. Meanwhile, the Seahawks are treating this game like any other game. Seattle is now 12-1 straight up in prime time games under Peter Carroll. They love the bright lights. The Seahawks tend to play up for big games, and down for opponents of lower stock. Expect a boring, hard hitting game as Seattle slowly pulls away just enough to win.

Seattle Seahawks 17

Arizona Cardinals 0

One thing I am hoping is that if NOP ends up cutting Colston, he would be a bargain for us. Would fill out our WR core, and allow us to focus on our OL/DL needs.

I think it is imperative to find a #1 WR somewhere, somehow. And I think Carroll might be on board with the concept, as the team spent money to bring in Sidney Rice, and went out and made the deal for Percy Harvin. A true #1 would drop Baldwin to a #2, and then Kearse and the rookie WRs fill out the other spots, which makes more sense bases on their abilities. And what we really need is a tall #1 WR that can be a red zone target.

With the cap escalating, every team will have more money to spend. It might be tougher to pry someone loose, I suppose like a Colston, but I think Schneider will do his homework and still keep it financially responsible.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/seahawks-give-cliff-avril-28-5-million-extension/

Seahawks give Cliff Avril $28.5 million extension

Having a starting quarterback — much less a star — on a cheap rookie contract gives a team incredible flexibility to keep other good parts around him.The Seahawks used that Friday.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Seahawks have signed defensive end Cliff Avril to a new four-year extension, worth $28.5 million with $16 million guaranteed.When the details emerge, we’ll see the actual amount that’s guaranteed at signing, as opposed to the initial numbers which serve to make agents look good at their jobs.

Avril landed in Seattle two years ago after turning down a three-year, $30 million offer from the Lions, so this helps take some of the sting out.The 28-year-old Avril is still a productive pass-rusher for the Seahawks, who have a window to get some guys under contract before the inevitable deal for quarterback Russell Wilson (and with the cash bump created by trading Percy Harvin).

Linebacker KJ Wright also cashed in yesterday, as the Seahawks continue to build around the side of the ball that won them a Super Bowl.

:pointstosky:

How strange is that? We start talking about resigning our players with the new cap details, and later in the same day, we resign Wright, then the next day extend Avril. That's crazy.

Some may think Wright was a tad too much money, but salaries are going to be escalating and until we see the contract structure, it's a good deal.

I think we got Avril cheap, basically a Michael Bennett hometown discount type of deal, to keep the defense mostly intact. His edge rush is crucial to the defense.

What key players are left? Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, maybe Byron Maxwell and.....basically whatever else we want to do. I think we were all in agreement that we wanted to keep Wright and Avril.

And this has to be an emotional boost going into the Arizona game. The front office taking care of the building block players with these new deals. Builds morale for the other guys that are up next in line.

Offensive line update: Okung and Unger will miss the Arizona game. Sweezey will be back in the lineup.

How strange is that? We start talking about resigning our players with the new cap details, and later in the same day, we resign Wright, then the next day extend Avril. That's crazy.

Some may think Wright was a tad too much money, but salaries are going to be escalating and until we see the contract structure, it's a good deal.

I think we got Avril cheap, basically a Michael Bennett hometown discount type of deal, to keep the defense mostly intact. His edge rush is crucial to the defense.

What key players are left? Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, maybe Byron Maxwell and.....basically whatever else we want to do. I think we were all in agreement that we wanted to keep Wright and Avril.

And this has to be an emotional boost going into the Arizona game. The front office taking care of the building block players with these new deals. Builds morale for the other guys that are up next in line.

:banana: :clap: Nice job. Two really big key guy's. Maxwell next? :doublethumbsup:

Then on to Wilson and Wagner next year. We'll have to see about Lynch. I hope all 3.

Maybe they will make Lynch play out the contract again though and bye another year.

Nice write up on the Arizona game also Phillybear. Nice read. I think we should not take K. Williams lightly though. He's a decent and fast runner. Stop that run, get a lead, and then force them to throw causing turnovers. Basically the same mold as the last 4 weeks.

On Offense roll out Wilson, use the fake option run, and organize quick pass plays vs there blitz. Maybe even a trick play thrown in.

And keep pounding them.

Go Hawks!

It's a weird position to be in. I get very vocal on draft day, and while I have a pretty decent track record in my assessment of early round picks of the Seahawks the past 10 years or so posting here, well, it's usually pretty focking accurate, and really a mixed bag on the lower round picks, I am perfectly willing to eat crow when I am dead wrong. If memory serves me right, I was not on board with KJ Wright because I had felt we could get him later and he was a bit of a reach. Wright doesn't do anything outstanding, but he's just a very solid OLB, very fast, good wingspan, covers TEs, and can even fill in at MLB in a pinch. He's outstanding because he really doesn't have weaknesses to his game and is simply underrated. I think I was too hard on Wright on draft day. So the next time somebody calls me unreasonable on draft picks, submit this evidence.

I loved the signing of Cliff Avril when it happened two years ago, and I love the extenstion today.

Good solid choices so far. Its very nice to see our management not going "cheap" but seeing value and paying for it.

All I want for Christmas this year is that we cut or trade "False Start" Okung

Well, considering that Wash is leading Philly by 10 pts leading into the 4h quarter....

If Philly loses to Wash, and Seattle wins one game, Seattle clinches a playoff spot.

Well, considering that Wash is leading Philly by 10 pts leading into the 4h quarter....

If Philly loses to Wash, and Seattle wins one game, Seattle clinches a playoff spot.

Philly inexplicably lost. So...I'm trying to figure out if a Seattle win in one gaem clinches a playoff spot, which I think will do it. But, I'm drinking, so.....who knows.

After the inexplicable loss by the Eagles, Seattle now has around a 95% chance of making the playoffs. It moves to 100% if Seattle wins one game.

After the inexplicable loss by the Eagles, Seattle now has around a 95% chance of making the playoffs. It moves to 100% if Seattle wins one game.

Or one more win by Dallas and we have a spot too.

The only reason we don't already have a playoff spot is because IF Dallas lost both games, and Phily won their last game they would still get the Division.

In that case, if we also lost BOTH games then Dallas I think would go over us and push us out instead.

Detroit has already locked up a spot now with the Phily loss.

I'd say it's more like 99% chance we are in. And yes, one win and we are in also.

Phily is all but out!

But, f k all that. Beat Arizona and get the #1 seed. That's the plan!

Picking the side: 11-2

Against the spread: 12-1

Seattle Seahawks (-8.5) at Arizona Cardinals

Let’s look at some numbers:

Seattle Defense is ranked #1 vs Pass, Arizona is ranked #28

Seattle Defense is ranked #5 vs rush, Arizona is ranked #6

Seattle Defense gives up 17.3 pts per game, Arizona gives up 17.4 points per game

Seattle Defense gives up 272.4 yards per game, Arizona gives up 350 yards per game

Seattle Offense is #1 rushing the ball, Arizona is #27 rushing the ball

Seattle Offense is #31 passing the ball, Arizona is #15 passing the ball

Seattle has outgained 12 of its 14 opponents in total yards.

Arizona has been outgained in each of its last 4 games in total yards

Arizona has been outplayed on a yards per play basis in each of the last 4 games:

4.2 ypp to 5.3 vs Seattle

6.6 ypp to 6.8 to Atlanta

5.7 ypp vs 6.5 to Kansas City

4.3 ypp vs 4.6 to St Louis

To start with, I said recently that of the final three games to finish the season, Seattle would have the easiest time with Arizona, which sounds a bit insane. It’s not that Arizona can’t possibly win this game. The unexpected happens. Just look at North Korea mushroom stamping the United States and wiping it’s d!ck on America’s drapes. Stuff happens. Arizona has been a bit fortunate this year and the regression to the mean has been in effect the past month or so, where their record is more indicative of their overall statistics. Just look at the points given up vs. yardage allowed comparison. They give up 28% more yardage per game than Seattle, but give up the same points. For one, the red zone success rate has to be taken into account as early in the year Seattle has leaky in giving up TDs. But Arizona this season had a habit of forcing many key turnovers in ending opponent’s drives, some of which is random good luck and some due to their above average defensive play. But it’s not really a “great defense”, as we see by their #28 ranked pass defense. Seattle is the better defensive team across the board. The question remains if Seattle can pass effectively to beat Arizona, the biggest area ripe for exploitation. Russell Wilson has been throwing more quick and decisive throws the past couple of weeks, more slants in particular, which will effectively counteract the pressure Arizona will bring. Arizona did a nice job in bottling up Wilson in the first meeting on the read option, so Wilson will have to throw to move the ball. But no team can really shut down Wilson’s scrambling, so there will be broken plays and some long completions, as in every game. Lynch has been facing a series of top notch rush defenses the past month, so he hasn’t had really stellar statistical games. But look for more catches out of the backfield to get him in space. Seattle will move the ball somewhat. Actually, they are much better in moving the ball than one would realize because they constantly have drives derailed by penalties. They lead the league in penalty yard disparity by a historically wide gap. Last week, when Seattle had 7 penalties to San Fran’s 8, it was the first time since Week One that Seattle did not have more penalties called on them than their opponent. When Arizona has the ball, well, that is the biggest mismatch in the game. Even before losing Stanton. Yeah, Stanton had a limited practice session yesterday, but he’s not playing. I watched Ryan Lindley do his thing for San Diego St and thought he was a pretty solid college QB. He’s just going to be overmatched in this game completely. Last week, the best thing Kaepernick did vs Seattle’s defense was run for his life and gain some yardage, which Lindley cannot do. To offset Lindley’s reletaive inexperience will be the feeble and completely ineffective Arizona running game. If Arizona does not force a turnover or make some special teams play, I will predict that the Cardinals will not cross midfield on offense. The worst thing Arizona call do is go downfield with the ball, where INTs will happen. Expect Arizona to run, run, short pass, punt a lot. Conservative as fock. Bruce Arians is hyping this game up in the lockerroom, but I question this strategy. He got them fired up to play in Seattle a few weeks ago, and how did that work out? The Cardinals are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to win this game. But that can be counterintuitive, as the Cardinals might run onto the field with so much self pressure, they will be running around with puckered up buttholes as if they were smuggling potato chips up their asses and did not want to break a single chip. Meanwhile, the Seahawks are treating this game like any other game. Seattle is now 12-1 straight up in prime time games under Peter Carroll. They love the bright lights. The Seahawks tend to play up for big games, and down for opponents of lower stock. Expect a boring, hard hitting game as Seattle slowly pulls away just enough to win.

Seattle Seahawks 17

Arizona Cardinals 0

I'll preface this by saying the Seahawks will probably win. But a few comments:

- Your incessant whining about Seahawk penalties is laughable. Dood, if you go 12 straight games getting called for more penalties than your opponent, in the English language we call that a "trend." They are undisciplined, and they mug receivers a lot more than it is called.

- The Cardinals run game hasn't been good... until the past two weeks. Kerwynn Williams gets the love, but the real reason is the insertion of Darren Fells at TE. At 6'7 and 281, his goal in life is to be a smash mouth tight end. Not that the Cards will run roughshod on the Hawks, but it is now respectable enough to command some respect.

- If you think that Arians is stressing out the team, or that he will go run-run-short pass-punt every series, you know nothing about him.

Hawks 20, Cards 16 in my best reverse jinx. :cheers:

- Your incessant whining about Seahawk penalties is laughable. Dood, if you go 12 straight games getting called for more penalties than your opponent, in the English language we call that a "trend." They are undisciplined, and they mug receivers a lot more than it is called.

The trend you speak of is actually a little more interesting than that.

If you grouped all of the Seahawks' weekly opponents as a single team, and looked at the penalties called against them, they would rank LAST in the league. By far.

Seattle's opponents have had 63 penalties called against them in 14 games so far this year. The next closest team in this regard is the Jets, whose opponents have had 81 penalties called against them. That's an 18-penalty difference. A gap of 18 penalties is also the gap between the Jets (31st overall) and the Buccaneers (8th overall). In other words, the Seahawks are a huge outlier. The referees have been letting the Hawks' opponents off the hook pretty much all season. Unless of course we want to argue that the teams the Seahawks are playing suddenly morph into boy scouts for 60 minutes.

see www.nflpenalties.com for more details.

The trend you speak of is actually a little more interesting than that.

If you grouped all of the Seahawks' weekly opponents as a single team, and looked at the penalties called against them, they would rank LAST in the league. By far.

Seattle's opponents have had 63 penalties called against them in 14 games so far this year. The next closest team in this regard is the Jets, whose opponents have had 81 penalties called against them. That's an 18-penalty difference. A gap of 18 penalties is also the gap between the Jets (31st overall) and the Buccaneers (8th overall). In other words, the Seahawks are a huge outlier. The referees have been letting the Hawks' opponents off the hook pretty much all season. Unless of course we want to argue that the teams the Seahawks are playing suddenly morph into boy scouts for 60 minutes.

see www.nflpenalties.com for more details.

Last in the league in pre-snap penalties by a lot. That isn't anybody's fault but Seattle's, this whining about penalties garbage is just that. Pre-snap penalties are purely discipline related.

SEA penalties - and the lack of SEA opponent penalties - are a function of SEA's physical style. Just like anything, it creates an opposite repercussion, and the officials are no more immune to such repercussion than any other normal human being would be.

Said more simply: the same thing that causes so many SEA penalties is the exact same dynamic that squashes the tendency for NFL officials to call penalties on SEA opponents.

I'll preface this by saying the Seahawks will probably win. But a few comments:

- The Cardinals run game hasn't been good... until the past two weeks. Kerwynn Williams gets the love, but the real reason is the insertion of Darren Fells at TE. At 6'7 and 281, his goal in life is to be a smash mouth tight end. Not that the Cards will run roughshod on the Hawks, but it is now respectable enough to command some respect.

- If you think that Arians is stressing out the team, or that he will go run-run-short pass-punt every series, you know nothing about him.

Hawks 20, Cards 16 in my best reverse jinx. :cheers:

It's not whining if it is statistically significant. For whatever the reason, the Seahawks opponents don't get called for penalities. Hey, that's good news for the Cardinals. You have an advantage in this game right off the bat.

Five of their last Seven opponents, the Seahawks have held to 64 yards rushing or less. The new Arizona personnel making any difference is dubious.

I don't think Arians is approaching this game and preparing his team mentally in the right way. We will see.

That is an interesting prediction. Arizona hasn't scored 20 points in a game in 6 weeks, going all the way back to the Rams game. Expecting them to score 20 the way the Seahawks defense is playing the last month, giving up 6.75 points a game...it's interesting.

Sheattle sucks. Give me a break. What a crap franchise. Hope the cards pound them. If I have to keep seeing all these rookie nfl fans posing in their shiny jerseys im gonna have to puke on them. Hags are at their best when they suck. Noone gives 2 craps about them and noone should have to.

Sheattle sucks. Give me a break. What a crap franchise. Hope the cards pound them. If I have to keep seeing all these rookie nfl fans posing in their shiny jerseys im gonna have to puke on them. Hags are at their best when they suck. Noone gives 2 craps about them and noone should have to.

Hey, here's a fun fact. If the Rams beat the Giants today, the San Francisco 49ers will be in last place. Last place, as the Rams have the better divisional record. I guess that the season hasn't met expectations for y'all. Don't be bitter, get better.

Ya, the niners are awful. But am I the only one sick of the fake ass hag fans? "Im a 12" gimmee a mf break. Horrible. 1 in 20 hag fans followed that team pre 2012. And that is generous.

Last in the league in pre-snap penalties by a lot. That isn't anybody's fault but Seattle's, this whining about penalties garbage is just that. Pre-snap penalties are purely discipline related.

Once again for Philly. Are they not supposed to call pre-snap penalties?

Who's Got It Better Than Us?

Who's Got It Better Than Us?

9'ers will be just fine big guy. Enjoy this year.

It's not whining if it is statistically significant. For whatever the reason, the Seahawks opponents don't get called for penalities. Hey, that's good news for the Cardinals. You have an advantage in this game right off the bat.

Five of their last Seven opponents, the Seahawks have held to 64 yards rushing or less. The new Arizona personnel making any difference is dubious.

I don't think Arians is approaching this game and preparing his team mentally in the right way. We will see.

That is an interesting prediction. Arizona hasn't scored 20 points in a game in 6 weeks, going all the way back to the Rams game. Expecting them to score 20 the way the Seahawks defense is playing the last month, giving up 6.75 points a game...it's interesting.

I didn't predict 20 for the Cards, I predicted 20 for the Hawks.

I still have no idea why you think Arians is stressing his team out. That is the anti-Arians. Here is a recent article about "Cool Uncle" Bruce:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/12/19/cardinals-keep-responding-cool-uncle-coach-bruce-arians/20665555/

Once again for Philly. Are they not supposed to call pre-snap penalties?

Typically, the pre snap penalties are called in one direction. You see games where an opponents lineman clearly commit a false start, the entire Seahawks defense points at him and beg the official to call the obvious penalty, and the flag stays firmly tucked in the refs pocket. Pete Carroll is a mild mannered man, who has gone apoplectic on the sidelines all season long screaming at the refs. Carroll has brought up the penalty disparity a number of times in press conferences. The defensive players make remarks about how they have to beat the refs in every game too. As far as I know, nobody has been fined yet for speaking out. Maybe because it's true.

:dunno:

I didn't predict 20 for the Cards, I predicted 20 for the Hawks.

I still have no idea why you think Arians is stressing his team out. That is the anti-Arians. Here is a recent article about "Cool Uncle" Bruce:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/12/19/cardinals-keep-responding-cool-uncle-coach-bruce-arians/20665555/

Bah. I misread your prediction. Stupid alcohol.

I've seen the quotes of how Arians is building this game up huge, hyping it to Biblical proportions. He did it in the first Seattle game. I thought he would have used a different approach this time around. But, I guess if you already have a playoff spot locked up, you can do whatever you want. House money.