Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Deputy branded a 'Coward' for staying outside during parkland shooting gets $8,700 monthly

Lol. Youre such a union shill.

When people make more money it's a bad thing? If you made more money it would be bad? Did the Republicans brain wash you that badly?

Funny how the female boss on the scene escapes all this scrutiny. But fock Peterson. Puzzy. But hey, it's what so many American males have become. Heck, just yesterday a guy was condoning a hulking lunatic spitting on a defenseless woman. Shame. 

the department’s commissioner, Rick Swearingen, said in a statement. “There can be no excuse for this caulk suckers complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

Critics just can't appreciate what it's like to finally succeed on your 8th or 9th attempt at all the running shooting and jumping in the game on the phone and still be 3-4 minutes away from the closest save spot. Oh sh*t, see what you made me do! I just fell off a ledge! Let me try this part again, hold on, really I'll get to it soon, I promise.

3 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Yes this will be interesting.  Theres no "duty to act" for law enforcement.

Mr Peterson was arrested on Tuesday on seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.

Maybe he's found guilty of perjury... but probably not guilty on all other counts.  "Culpable negligence" ? For acting cowardly and not reacting to a shooting he had nothing to do with?  

Sounds like they just wanted to drag him into court and publicly shame him, even though they know he'll probably acquitted.

Back in his tough guy cop days, Hardcore would have gone out into the lot and given the shooter a parking ticket.  He's a true hero. and now we get to hear him pound his chest and tell us what he would have done if there was a guy with an AR-15 shooting up the school. 🤣😁🤣😁🤣

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Mr Peterson was arrested on Tuesday on seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.

Maybe he's found guilty of perjury... but probably not guilty on all other counts.  "Culpable negligence" ? For acting cowardly and not reacting to a shooting he had nothing to do with?  

Sounds like they just wanted to drag him into court and publicly shame him, even though they know he'll probably acquitted.

You or I would not be found guilty of culpable negligence. He should. He accepted a higher duty of care with the badge.

For example, if I see someone choking to death in a restaurant, I would have no duty to help.

Digby or Pen, having medical training and experience, would.

Same goes for lifeguards, etc. 

27 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You or I would not be found guilty of culpable negligence. He should. He accepted a higher duty of care with the badge.

Does Florida have a law regarding "higher duty"? If there is such a law this is the first time I've ever heard of it.   Can't imagine legislators thinking there was ever a need for such law.  And to what point?  He's scared of facing an active shooter, but the threat of being prosecuted for culpable negligence might make him do it anyway?

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

Back in his tough guy cop days, Hardcore would have gone out into the lot and given the shooter a parking ticket.  He's a true hero. and now we get to hear him pound his chest and tell us what he would have done if there was a guy with an AR-15 shooting up the school. 🤣😁🤣😁🤣

:sleep:

13 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Does Florida have a law regarding "higher duty"? If there is such a law this is the first time I've ever heard of it.   Can't imagine legislators thinking there was ever a need for such law.  And to what point?  He's scared of facing an active shooter, but the threat of being prosecuted for culpable negligence might make him do it anyway?

I'm just talking standard tort common law. I don't recall what the specific criminal negligence statues Florida has, but I know he could be held liable civilly. I went to law school in Florida, but I don't recall this specific statute. But generally, negligence has four elements that must be proven. The first is that a duty of care existed, and to what degree. It would be a pretty easy case to prove that a guy who gets paid to "serve and protect" has a duty of care of would think.

It will likely come down to a determination of what a "reasonable law enforcement officer" would do in the same situation. The prosecution would put cops on that would say A, the defense would pay one to say B, and the jury would decide.

But he will likely plea to something. No way you want this mess in front of a jury. 

4 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I'm just talking standard tort common law. I don't recall what the specific criminal negligence statues Florida has, but I know he could be held liable civilly. I went to law school in Florida, but I don't recall this specific statute. But generally, negligence has four elements that must be proven. The first is that a duty of care existed, and to what degree. It would be a pretty easy case to prove that a guy who gets paid to "serve and protect" has a duty of care of would think.

It will likely come down to a determination of what a "reasonable law enforcement officer" would do in the same situation. The prosecution would put cops on that would say A, the defense would pay one to say B, and the jury would decide.

But he will likely plea to something. No way you want this mess in front of a jury. 

Crazy thing is two recent civil cases came to completely different outcomes on holding him responsible.  

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

I would like to think that any member of the Geek Club that was a school safety policeman would go into that building and I bet most if not all would. I'd rather be shot dead today protecting kids than live to be 100 as Scott Peterson.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I would like to think that any member of the Geek Club that was a school safety policeman would go into that building and I bet most if not all would. I'd rather be shot dead today protecting kids than live to be 100 as Scott Peterson.

In would never have accepted soft duty like school safety officer during my twenty. 

21 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Yeah, there's times when a man has no choice. Kids being gunned down is one of those times. I can't say for sure, as I've never been in that situation. But I like to think I'd have gone in.

The alternative is hating yourself and drinking yourself to death. I couldn't face myself in the mirror. 

Given the kind of prancing flaming mos those fairy kids ended up being, I'd shoot the kids.

3 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Given the kind of prancing flaming mos those fairy kids ended up being, I'd shoot the kids.

In all honesty, it'd be a lot harder going in if I were the first cop to arrive on the scene when that gay nightclub got shot up a couple of years ago.

10 hours ago, The Observer said:

Got a link to me pounding my chest? And what's this "back in my tough guy days"? Those days are still here. But just to make you happy, ill give you a little taste: I went towards gunfire plenty of times.  Crack was whack. 

9 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

:sleep:

You should post a cat video. Or tell us about a date you had in 2003. Stick to your strengths boy

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I went towards gunfire plenty of times.  Crack was whack. 

I started riding a fire truck in the hood in 1994.  The world was waaaayyyy different then because of crack. If you were in public safety and anywhere near an urban ghetto, the sh!t you saw was unreal. 

4 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I started riding a fire truck in the hood in 1994.  The world was waaaayyyy different then because of crack. If you were in public safety and anywhere near an urban ghetto, the sh!t you saw was unreal. 

Yup. 1989 for me. First day on the street there was a blackout in the south Bronx. I got hit in the head with a baseball thrown from a building. Good thing we had our riot gear on. We called that hats and bats in NYC. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yup. 1989 for me. First day on the street there was a blackout in the south Bronx. I got hit in the head with a baseball thrown from a building. Good thing we had our riot gear on. We called that hats and bats in NYC. 

One of the most well known firefighting books is called "Report from Engine 82" in the Bronx.  Its non-fiction based on the "war years" of the 70s and 80s when the Bronx was pretty much burning every day.  There was a fireman riding the back of the rig that was killed when a thug threw a brick at him and hit him in the head.  

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

One of the most well known firefighting books is called "Report from Engine 82" in the Bronx.  Its non-fiction based on the "war years" of the 70s and 80s when the Bronx was pretty much burning every day.  There was a fireman riding the back of the rig that was killed when a thug threw a brick at him and hit him in the head.  

When I was living in Baltimore and Annapolis for some years in the early 90's, there were many news stories of firetrucks getting attacked in the bad neighborhoods of Baltimore. Bricks being thrown, shootings, etc... I know there are a lot of bad neighborhoods in the this country that I haven't been through, but the worst 3 that I have had the misfortune of experiencing were, south Chicago, parts of Baltimore, and parts of Hartford. 

17 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

The south Bronx was hell on earth in the  60's and 70's. When it started getting really getting bad there was a rash of Jewish Lightening which resulted in many burnt out buildings in some parts. It also resulted in less people as well. If you ever saw the Paul Newman movie Fort Apache the Bronx, that was about the 41st precinct. Fort Apache was its nickname, it was in the Hunts Point area. Well, so many buildings got burned down and there was no one living there the cops started calling it Little House on the Praire. 

Deputy fired over Parkland school shooting to be reinstated with back pay: reports

A Florida sheriff’s sergeant who lost his job after it was discovered he hid behind his car when a shooter at a high school in Parkland first opened fire will reportedly get his job back with back pay.

Sgt. Brian Miller, of the Broward Sheriff’s Office, was the first supervisor to respond to the 2018 shooting that took the lives of 17 students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

An arbitration ruling this week found the sheriff’s office “violated” Miller’s “constitutional due process rights and improperly terminated him,” the BSO Deputies Association, a union that represents deputies and sergeants said, according to the Miami Herald.

Miller will also receive full back pay and get back his seniority. He made more than $137,000 in 2018.

An investigation by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission found that although Miller arrived as the first shots were fired, he failed to go into the school and didn’t radio anyone for 10 minutes, The Herald reported.

Miller failed to coordinate or direct deputies’ actions and did not direct or coordinate an immediate response into the school,” the report said. "Sergeant Miller’s actions were ineffective and he did not properly supervise the scene.”

Miller was one of four sheriff’s deputies, including Edward Eason, Joshua Stambaugh, and Scot Peterson, fired for “neglect of duty” related to the shooting

https://www.foxnews.com/us/sheriffs-deputy-fired-over-parkland-school-shooting-to-be-reinstated-reports

9 minutes ago, not titans said:

This is a major reason cops catch so much flak. No accountability. 

None. You have to be a blatant scumbag to get booted from the force. Even then an off duty cop could beat the living shlt out of a tiny female bartender on camera and keep his job just fine

8 minutes ago, not titans said:

That is what unions are all about.

4 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

He had no obligation to act.  Sad, infuriating, and outside societal expections,  but true.

This.  He made a decision, or maybe it was just impulse, to stay in place for safety rather than try to kill the shooter and save lives.  You would hope that these guys, who 99% of the time get great money to write tickets and make sure Brooks gets home without crashing his car, would rise to the occasion and try to serve the public when the situation arises, but some guys simply aren't built that way.  This guy chose to take cover and save himself instead of children.  I guess he's not obligated to act so legally I'm not sure they can take his job and salary.

15 minutes ago, not titans said:

10 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

He had no obligation to act.  Sad, infuriating, and outside societal expections,  but true.

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

None. You have to be a blatant scumbag to get booted from the force. Even then an off duty cop could beat the living shlt out of a tiny female bartender on camera and keep his job just fine

The REAL problem/issue here is, this is what happens when you react emotionally and not logically.  Because of national pressure (emotions), this guy was treated unfairly... by the rule of law.  Had they not succumb to Libtard "Fry him now" approach and let the process go through the proper channels, this guy would have never gotten his job back or the back pay.

5 minutes ago, The Observer said:

This.  He made a decision, or maybe it was just impulse, to stay in place for safety rather than try to kill the shooter and save lives.  You would hope that these guys, who 99% of the time get great money to write tickets and make sure Brooks gets home without crashing his car, would rise to the occasion and try to serve the public when the situation arises, but some guys simply aren't built that way.  This guy chose to take cover and save himself instead of children.  I guess he's not obligated to act so legally I'm not sure they can take his job and salary.

By reading that, it looks like their issue is that he didn't do his other duties either.  He didn't call in the attack or anything else.  Not going in wasn't and shouldn't be "required", but he failed in his other duties as well.

Miller failed to coordinate or direct deputies’ actions and did not direct or coordinate an immediate response into the school,” the report said. "Sergeant Miller’s actions were ineffective and he did not properly supervise the scene.”

I don't think he'd have gotten his job back or back pay, had they followed due process.  That, according to the info provided, was the reason for the ruling.

An arbitration ruling this week found the sheriff’s office “violated” Miller’s “constitutional due process rights and improperly terminated him,” the BSO Deputies Association, a union that represents deputies and sergeants said, according to the Miami Herald.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The REAL problem/issue here is, this is what happens when you react emotionally and not logically.  Because of national pressure (emotions), this guy was treated unfairly... by the rule of law.  Had they not succumb to Libtard "Fry him now" approach and let the process go through the proper channels, this guy would have never gotten his job back or the back pay.

I agree on the snap reactions. I can't stand that we act like this as a society. Someone losing their job over an allegation that may be false is just to make people feel better in that moment. Never mind that within one week, hell a few days in today's society, the give a fock will die down. 

14 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

By reading that, it looks like their issue is that he didn't do his other duties either.  He didn't call in the attack or anything else.  Not going in wasn't and shouldn't be "required", but he failed in his other duties as well.

I don't think he'd have gotten his job back or back pay, had they followed due process.  That, according to the info provided, was the reason for the ruling.

Bull crap. If you sign up to be a cop, carry a gun and a badge, you sign up to serve and protect. If kids are being slaughtered, you damn well have a duty to go in.

Hell, I'd argue that any random Joe with a gun has that obligation, as a freaking man. Let alone a cop.