Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Fvcking targeted ads

https://start.att.net/news/read/category/lifestyle/article/newser-her_baby_was_stillborn_she_has_a_heartbreaking_ple-rnewsernor

Her Baby Was Stillborn. She Has a Heartbreaking Plea for Tech Companies

Lifestyle 11 Hours AgoNewser Evann Gastaldo

When Gillian Brockell got pregnant, tech company algorithms easily figured it outthanks to her use of hashtags like #babybump, social media posts about her baby shower, and an Amazon registry featuring her due date, among other thingsand quickly started serving her ads for maternity clothes and nursery decor.

But when she lost her baby at 30 weeks gestation, she came home to those same ads. Why, she asks in a heartbreaking open letter that's gone viral, didn't those same algorithms figure out what had happened? "Didn't you also see me googling 'is this braxton hicks?' and 'baby not moving'?" she asks in the letter posted on Twitter.

"And then the announcement with keywords like 'heartbroken' and 'problem' and 'stillborn' and the two-hundred teardrop emoticons from my friends? Is that not something you could track?"

Worse, when she clicked "I don't want to see this ad" and followed the steps to report why"It's not relevant to me"those same algorithms, rather than concluding something devastating had occurred, assumed she had given birth to a living child.

She started getting ads for nursing bras, baby sleep aids, and strollers. Considering there are 26,000 stillbirths in the US every year, she writes, we need to do better.

"Please, Tech Companies, I implore you," she concludes. "If you're smart enough to realize that I'm pregnant, that I've given birth, then surely you're smart enough to realize that my baby died, and can advertise to me accordingly, or maybe just maybe, not at all." The replies to Brockell's tweet include other similar stories, like a manwhose Facebook "Year in Review" contains painful reminders of his son who died unexpectedly or a mom whose preemie died, but Pinterest failed to notice.

(Her maternity pics went viral; then, tragedy.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Her Baby Was Stillborn. She Has a Heartbreaking Plea for Tech Companies

Like it says in the story, these assh0les can't figure out how to tell something has changed. Especially something this dramatic. I hope any agency related to this gets fined out the ass

That's terrible. Way less significant, it is a pain in the ass trying to make sure the mrs. doesn't look at my computer screen these days cause she will figure out all the random gifts I am looking at.

Couldn't she just clear her browsing history, cookies, temp files etc.? It's tragic this happened to her, but spreading around something devastating for her to the world on the internet with the hopes of getting a sad face emoji from someone?

I mean, isn't this the type of situation where if she wants to share her grief on such a traumatic event in her life, maybe pick up the phone or visit in person?

Couldn't she just clear her browsing history, cookies, temp files etc.? It's tragic this happened to her, but spreading around something devastating for her to the world on the internet with the hopes of getting a sad face emoji from someone?

I mean, isn't this the type of situation where if she wants to share her grief on such a traumatic event in her life, maybe pick up the phone or visit in person?

And what if she didn't share on social media that she lost the baby? The tech companies would continue sending ads...Would they be off the hook though because she didn't share it?

I can sympathize, but how far are we going to take stuff like this?

And what if she didn't share on social media that she lost the baby? The tech companies would continue sending ads...Would they be off the hook though because she didn't share it?

I can sympathize, but how far are we going to take stuff like this?

Yeah. And the thing is the tech companies are not on the hook unless some liberal women's group wants to take to the streets in protest.

Are all the mailer's, coupon's, ads, etc. that this woman was probably signed up for at Buy Buy Baby and other stores guilty too? Or does she want a baby furniture store to move because it's located next to her grocery store?

My sister went through this same situation and her dealing with the trauma was not to worry about the internet ads, but rather to mourn with her family and get healed over time.

Life is tough and when tragedy strikes, reminders pop up everywhere. Not just in ads on the internet.

Your phone is listening, you computer is listening, your iwatch is listening, your tablet is listening and Alexa is listening. We are focked.

Its funny to me how this board is constantly p!ssing and moaning about how liberals get triggered over everything yet there is a post like this on this bored nearly every day.

Its funny to me how this board is constantly p!ssing and moaning about how liberals get triggered over everything yet there is a post like this on this bored nearly every day.

This board is basically a chat room that often times calls out some of the social decay in the world. I don't think anyone is whining, just commenting on a what some person out there is claiming to be a real life issue.

I don't know what her political affiliation is, but this woman in this story is lost. Blaming the internet for basically torturing her. This is a big problem when people can't handle personal tragedies without needing sensitivity from the internet. I'm sure we will be seeing more and more of it as time goes on as many younger people weave their very existences in with the web.

While this is a sad story, I think there is a larger business concern for targeted ads. For instance, I recently researched cars. Then I leased a car. I am still getting banner ads for cars. This is lost revenue because, umm, I'm done and not getting another car.

I suppose there is a larger issue of Google selling your pregnancy situation to other companies, and how do they communicate that the data is no longer relevant? But I don't want any more car ads. :(

While this is a sad story, I think there is a larger business concern for targeted ads. For instance, I recently researched cars. Then I leased a car. I am still getting banner ads for cars. This is lost revenue because, umm, I'm done and not getting another car.

I suppose there is a larger issue of Google selling your pregnancy situation to other companies, and how do they communicate that the data is no longer relevant? But I don't want any more car ads. :(

What did you get?

Your phone is listening, you computer is listening, your iwatch is listening, your tablet is listening and Alexa is listening. We are focked.

I was talking to my brother on my cell. He lives in another state. He was explaining to me why it takes him so long to finish video games these days (he used to finish them quite quickly). He said now, he likes to take his time to discover all the Easter Eggs. I wasn't sure what that was so he explained:

An Easter egg is a hidden video game feature or surprise. Easter eggs are usually unlocked by using certain techniques to complete in-game tasks, entering specific button combinations or acquiring access to secret game or game file areas.

Later I went on YouTube and this video was the first that showed up:

I scrolled right by it at first but then I thought, how weird that such an old video would be recommended, so when I watched I knew my phone for sure was listening.

Luckily, I enjoyed it.

What did you get?

I leased a Lexus ES350. It is a bit of an experiment. I've mentioned here before that I believe that the car is the new cell phone; cells are reaching their asymptote of capabilities but cars have new features including improved ADAS every year. I'll see in 3 years if the technology has advanced enough to justify the option to switch to another new vehicle. Historically my wife and I were "buy cars and drive them into the ground" people, so this is new. :thumbsup:

I leased a Lexus ES350. It is a bit of an experiment. I've mentioned here before that I believe that the car is the new cell phone; cells are reaching their asymptote of capabilities but cars have new features including improved ADAS every year. I'll see in 3 years if the technology has advanced enough to justify the option to switch to another new vehicle. Historically my wife and I were "buy cars and drive them into the ground" people, so this is new. :thumbsup:

I was just curious what you ended up with, I probably did not finish reading the thread you had started about car shopping.

I keep getting these focking annoying ads for Astroglide. :mad:

Wait til they link up with the killer Russian robots. Skynet