Sign in to follow this  
lesjroza

Eli Manning, scammer? Not a good look

I can't tell the difference between fake news and the real thing any more but if this is real its not a good look for Eli and I think it could actually turn into a pretty big deal for somebody, if not him. Steiner was the biggest, not sure if they still are................ just depending how far people want to push this it could include potentially federal crimes including mail fraud IMO. As a former dealer/collector...appalling.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/13/heres-proof-eli-manning-was-in-on-giants-memorabilia-scheme/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter

‘Proof’ Eli Manning was in on Giants memorabilia scheme

"Giants quarterback Eli Manning was in on a scheme to sell phony game-worn gear — sending an email asking the team’s equipment manager for “helmets that can pass as game used,” according to blockbuster court papers obtained by The Post.

The legal filing also alleges that Big Blue failed to produce the smoking-gun request — sent from Manning’s old-school AOL account to an official NFL account — even though “they claim to have no document destruction policy.”

But Manning turned over the incriminating email last week in connection with a civil racketeering suit that accuses him, his team and others of conspiring to fleece collectors of authentic athletic uniforms worn on the playing field.

Manning’s email is contained in a pair of exchanges that allegedly began when his marketing agent, Alan Zucker, asked Manning to supply “2 game used helmets and 2 game used jerseys” as per the two-time Super Bowl MVP’s contract with memorabilia dealer Steiner Sports.

Several hours after Zucker sent the request on April 27, 2010, Giants equipment manager Joe Skiba sent Manning an email saying: “Let me know what your looking for I’ll try to get something down for you…,” court papers say.

“2 helmets that can pass as game used. That is it. Eli,” Manning allegedly responded from his BlackBerry at 2:08 p.m.

At 2:25 p.m., Manning wrote back to Zucker, saying: “Should be able to get them for tomorrow.”

“Thanks Eli,” Zucker responded.

The emails were filed Tuesday in New Jersey’s Bergen County Superior Court by three memorabilia collectors who are suing the Giants, Manning, Skiba, Steiner and others, including team co-owner and CEO John Mara.

In related court papers, plaintiffs’ lawyer Brian Brook alleges that the emails prove “Manning was looking to give non-game-used helmets to Steiner to satisfy — fraudulently — his contractual obligation.”

Modal Trigger

“Since it appears that the Giants failed to preserve any emails between Manning and Joe Skiba, and the Giants are keeping Skiba on the payroll and paying his substantial legal bills, the above email exchange may be the only direct evidence that Manning knowingly gave fraudulent helmets to Steiner for sale to fans,” Brook added.

On Thursday, Brook told The Post that the Giants “have not clearly addressed the issue” of the emails between Manning and Skiba that the team didn’t turn over.

Brook further alleged that “it appears to be the case that someone at the Giants organization deleted” those emails, as well as another, previously disclosed 2008 exchange.

In those emails, Skiba allegedly admitted to plaintiff Eric Inselberg that Manning had asked him to create “BS” versions of a game-used helmet and jersey because Manning “didnt want to give up the real stuff.”

“The first we have since Eric saved it on his AOL account and the second we have since Eli apparently saved it on his AOL account,” Brook said.

“I do give Eli and his lawyers credit for not destroying evidence.”

The Giants, Manning and Steiner did not immediately respond to requests for comment."

It's an issue. One that probably goes away as soon as Eli provides some actual game used equipment to all involved.

In the day of Goodell god only knows what can come of something but 2 jerseys and 2 helmets isn't exactly alarming.

Or at least shouldn't be.

I'm a Cowboys fan and don't like Eli at all but this is nothing as is.

He may end up having to pay some money or something but I doubt this effects anything on the field.

I'm sure he needed the money, health insurance just keeps getting more expensive.

How can anyone make it on his football salary.

I hate hearing stories like these. I have seen steiner sports on e-bay and they come across as being the leader. I bought 2 auto jerseys of Pete Rose for my sons, 1 of them might of been from them. Im sure i have bought ballcards from them. Wouldn't make any sense with all the family money and be a black-eye on the family. I bet its a hit-piece from the media for Krapadick not being able to get a job.

So, in lawyer speak, can "helmets that can pass as game used" be spun as to Eli making sure that collector is getting what he's entitled to? Meaning, can Eli claim that his intentions were to assure the quality of the product being delivered will stand up to the highest scrutiny?

So, in lawyer speak, can "helmets that can pass as game used" be spun as to Eli making sure that collector is getting what he's entitled to? Meaning, can Eli claim that his intentions were to assure the quality of the product being delivered will stand up to the highest scrutiny?

I guess lawyers can spin it any way they want but I say "game used helmets" when I mean "game used helmets". It isn't ambiguous. You only talk that way when you're trying to deceive someone.

But you're right, lawyers play games like that. That's why you have to take justice into your own hand's sometimes.

1 has to wonder how commonplace it is, dont imagine players undress with a sharpie in hand.

I'd actually be willing to bet that there's one in their locker at all times.

I'd actually be willing to bet that there's one in their locker at all times.

Terrell Owens always has one in his sock

If you have no interest in this topic its completely understandable but I'm disturbed by the whole thing so posting, in this case, is my way of calling out shoddy behavior (allegedly).

Having done some more digging it appears the statute of limitations has passed on any potential wrong doing. I think it was correct that there could have been serious implications in a worst case scenario for Eli but the lawyers turning over the email makes a bit more sense now, there is no legal jeopardy

There is additional backstory to the whole thing that I won't go into, but Eli's lawyers answered back the charges made by the opposition but failed to even attempt to refute or explain the email that asks for 2 helmets that "can pass as game used".

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/giants-lawyers-release-more-eli-manning-emails-to-media/