Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

McNabb Hass or Bulger

im in a tough situation in my current draft, and i need to grab a qb in this round if i want an elite one. im one pick away, and my position is at 5.08. mcnabb, bulger, and hasselbeck are all available. which do u believe will be the best QB for me this year?

im leaning towards hass because of the easy schedule and efficient offense. he has better weapons than mcnabb, but SA steals some TDs. Mcnabb is sort of a risk. please help.

Yep, fun delimma to have there--McNabb and Bulger have been two of the more consistently good QBs in fantasy football for the last few years but their situations have changed a bit due to personnel/injuries. Hasselbeck is the safest pick, but is he the smartest one?

Last Name	First Name	G	FPG	Crank	Sub Par	Elite	#1 QB
Bulger	Marc	8	21.72	65.16	0.00%	50.00%	75.00%
McNabb	Donovan	9	22.32	64.25	11.11%	55.56%	66.67%
HasselbeckMatt	16	17.95	42.37	12.50%	37.50%	50.00%

If you aren't familiar, these are Crank scores...the percentage of time a player scored to a specific baseline in a standard 12-team league. The Elite baseline is a top-2 QB for the percentage of weeks in question (in this case the 2005 season) a #1 QB is the baseline for a top 12 QB. Sub par is equivalent to points below the last-ranked #2 QB in your league (the 24th).

As you can see Bulger is the best. He's also the most injury prone which means you might be able to wait another round or two and still grab him--especially if there is another player at a different position you think has great value and won't be around after 5.08. Still, he's the riskiest in my opinion due to injury . The thing is Linehan will run more 2-TE sets and run the ball more. This should make Bulger less prone to injury because he's not playing in Martz's system that in my opinion beats down quarterbacks unless the o-line is amazing. Not exactly encouraging for Jon Kitna's health...

The problem with Bulger is he may lose some effectiveness due to a more conservative attack. How much? I'm not sure enough to place him below Hasselbecks numbers from last year, but it's possible. Still, a lot of questionmarks for a QB at round 5.

Hasselbeck is good, but is he really going to be that much better from a numbers standpoint? I don't think so. Jackson isn't the explosive deep threat that Robinson was and neither Jurevicius (last year) nor Burleson will replace that element in the offense. Thefore I believe his numbers remain similar to last year. Good, but not great. Not round 5 numbers...round 6 or 7, sure...but if you can slide in one more pick and grab him that's pretty good in my opinion. Still Hass isn't a bad pick at 5 just paying premium for him.

McNabb? I like his prospects this year. He's really been one of the best with or without T.O. The running game will be better and I don't think it has to do with Westbrook and the play calling as much as the presence of Ryan Moats--an underrated runner that will get more time and allow the Eagles to put Westbrook in the slot or outside. Westbrook-Brown-Smith-Pinkston will be good enough to make McNabb a premium fantasy QB. I don't think Health is as big of an issue, so I'd take my chances on him if you pick in round 5. I did in a mock last month and I'm happy with the selection.

So in conclusion, if you see better value at WR/TE/RB in round 5 and like Bulger's prospects based on what I think, then try to wait one to two more rounds. If you want to play it very safe--Hasselbeck is the pick. If you want the best combo of risk/reward...McNabb.

I think Id pass on all 3 of those guys and take Kurt Warner. McNabb and Bulger are just as injury prone, and Hasselbeck is playing on the Superbowl LOSER.......why risk it with those schmoes? Go against the grain and wait a couple of more rounds................

I think Id pass on all 3 of those guys and take Kurt Warner. McNabb and Bulger are just as injury prone, and Hasselbeck is playing on the Superbowl LOSER.......why risk it with those schmoes? Go against the grain and wait a couple of more rounds................

Definitely another viable route to go, especially if you have confidence in drafting a viable backup to Warner in case he goes down again. Warner was excellent down the stretch last year.

i'm of the mindset that both Hass and Bulger are exactly in line with where they should be drafted according to their top-side potential... Meaning they are both easily top 10 QBs, who, at the top of their respective scoring abilities, should fall in the top 5/6 QBs.

McNabb, on the other hand, is being drafted after both of these guys in most mocks and has potential to be the #2 QB - he's been there before (w/ and w/o TO), and could very easily get back there this year. So he is being drafted where he should be according to more of his performance last year, a down year in which he only played part of the year. So his upside is much greater than that of either Bulger or Hass, and his draft position is lower. With that increased upside also comes slightly greater risk of injury or failure due to style of play - but Bulger has also had brittle-bone disease the last couple of seasons due to the Martz offense where he would rather have 5 guys in pass patterns than 6 or 7 guys blocking for his QB...

I also think McNabb has a greater chance of putting up higher TD totals due to the more pass-oriented offense in Philly, and also since they as of yet do not have a true pound-it-in style of RB. McNabb will get opportunities to both pass the ball in from inside the 5, and to run it in. I could potentially see him having 30+ combined TDs this year (something he only did w/ TO), but easily surpassing the 25 mark.

In order: McNabb, Bulg, Hasselbeck. I think Seattle will struggle this year in the heavy NFC, they might win the west, they should!!! But Hasselbeck wont lead the way if they do, Alexander will

In order: McNabb, Bulg, Hasselbeck. I think Seattle will struggle this year in the heavy NFC, they might win the west, they should!!! But Hasselbeck wont lead the way if they do, Alexander will

struggle? their schedule is easy money this year.... and are in an easy division! Cards, Rams, niners? oo im shaking. geez i dont know what u dont like about their schedule...

struggle? their schedule is easy money this year.... and are in an easy division! Cards, Rams, niners? oo im shaking. geez i dont know what u dont like about their schedule...

cards had a top 10 defense and the other 2 will improve. Rams were a powerhouse team 5 years ago and made the playoffs 2 years ago and maybe alex smith finally gets things this year. I think arizona has a great chance to mkae the playoffs and that division will be tougher than you think.

cards had a top 10 defense and the other 2 will improve. Rams were a powerhouse team 5 years ago and made the playoffs 2 years ago and maybe alex smith finally gets things this year. I think arizona has a great chance to mkae the playoffs and that division will be tougher than you think.

link?

Maybe, maybe, maybe. u cant just assume teams will improve. look at the facts g-bait! so u would rather be in the division with the redskins, giants, and cowboys? o my! the rams were good 5 years ago! this changes everything! let me adjust my cheatsheet. g-bait ur post was not helpful at all, it was useless. u just said that some mediocre teams COULD be better.....

eventhough he's probably the biggest injury risk, i love bulger when he's healthy

i've had bulger the last few seasons, when he is healthy it is silly watching him put up great numbers week after week...however, i will never forgive him for the shoulder injury he gave himself after the interception last year...that being said, if he is there in the 6th, he's mine

If your going to take a QB out of that bunch, definately Hasselbeck. Anytime your in a division with SF, ARI, & STL, fantasy meat.

1. McNabb

2. Bulger

3. Hasselbeck

Look at every individual game statistics for the last 3 years for each player on www.nfl.com/players pages. Hasselbeck is and will be a notch lower than Bulger. McNabb outproduces Bulger. The end.

I like Hass, McNabb, then Bulger if you are picking QB.

What is your roster and who else is available?

I like taking a backup RB or 2nd/3rd WR here and hoping one of these guys slide to the 6th round. If they don't get Delhomme type guy later.