Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Your album of the year?

For me, the album of the year is easily "Lost in the Dream" by Philly's own The War on Drugs. I never thought I'd love an album that sounds so much like Springsteen, Tom Petty, Don Henley and Dire Straights but it is just awesome end to end:

WoD ended up on a lot of year end best album lists. A lesser known band I really liked this year is Total Control. They definitely fall into the late 70s / early 80s post punk sound and remind me most of bands like Wire and New Order. Their album "Typical System" is very strange and really great:

What do you have for best albums of 2014? :dunno:

Right now its between these two:

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqddnGuijs

Although i just found out yesterday Afghan Whigs released a new album in 2014 so i may be changing my mind soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3HCzLqia8

Also i know that this isnt psuedo-indie ironirock, so this post will be largely ignored by the posters here.

Wanted to give a shout out to MDC for the recommend. I had heard of War on Drugs and saw them perform on Letterman once but never gave them a solid thought. But I've been listening non stop at work since this thread as the full album is on youtube. Really, really good. Took me about two full listen throughs but its my go to right now.

A new, young, Tom Petty is a really good analogy. :thumbsup:

For me the two albums of 2014 were

Lost in a Dream - War on Drugs

They Want My Soul - Spoon

I did not release an album last year. ask me next January

KSB glad to hear you like it. :thumbsup:

I'm not a classic rock fan at all, I mostly listen to punk, indie, electronic music etc. but "Lost in the Dream" is just awesome - I can listen to it over and over again.

EL-P and Killer Mike - Run The Jewels 2

I heard this was really good.

I heard this was really good.

Yeah, me too. But I fear I've become to old for rap/hip hop. Even the smart, good, creative rap. I just can't relate anymore.

For me, the album of the year is easily "Lost in the Dream" by Philly's own The War on Drugs. I never thought I'd love an album that sounds so much like Springsteen, Tom Petty, Don Henley and Dire Straights but it is just awesome end to end:

Sorry but to me that song sounds like a car crash between bad Depeche Mode and worse Tom Petty. Totally unlistenable; I quit about 2:30 in. Maybe I'm just an old fart. Get off my lawn. :dunno:

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Wish you were here < Led Zeppelin I

Yeah, me too. But I fear I've become to old for rap/hip hop. Even the smart, good, creative rap. I just can't relate anymore.

I like very little hip hop but I have a couple recommendations:

"Liquid Swords" by GZA is among my favorite albums of any genre.

More recently "Madvillainy" by Madvillain is incredibly weird and creative. "Skelethon" by Aesop Rock is worth a listen to.

For straight up un-PC sexist / homerphobic ghetto rap "Violent by Design" by Jedi Mind Tricks is worth a listen.

Nice pick MDC. I'm enjoying it right now. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

me too.

I'll send Mike my 2015 dues - still finding good things at fftoday!

Sorry but to me that song sounds like a car crash between bad Depeche Mode and worse Tom Petty. Totally unlistenable; I quit about 2:30 in. Maybe I'm just an old fart. Get off my lawn. :dunno:

:thumbsup:

That don't sound like no Tom Petty.