Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

David Johnson

In both my leagues where i started him we get points for kickoff returns. Watching this kid run is amazing. Cant wait to see him show up Christobell

Arians should be hung upside down by his testicles.

Seriously.

• Like 2

Arians should be hung upside down by his testicles.

Seriously.

I am hoping for a good 2nd half. Let the kid get involved when they are up big. Ya know, matt jones and tevin coleman are getting good work, but david johnson cant be trusted.

• Like 1

Since when does a rookie need to "earn it".....and what exactly does that mean?

A 55 yard TD reception and a 108 yard kick return in consecutive weeks.....give me a break.

• Like 2

A 55 yard TD reception and a 108 yard kick return in consecutive weeks.....give me a break.

I guarantee he will get more carries.

but I think he needs another great game or two to become the starter.

I'd have him in there tomorrow if it were up to me, but I do get the impression that Ariens will start CJ2K at least one more time.

He will be the number one rb starting next week .

I guess we will see.

the language Ariens used suggested to me that the kid wont start in the forseeable future.

of course, that future path may change as a result of the good things the kid has done. All I'm saying is Ariens looked to be committed to CJ2K.

I honestly feel CJ2K isnt the man for the job, but the comments I saw over the last week or so suggest we may need to wait at least one more week.

He showed up Chris Johnson imo. 4 carries for 50 yards and a td, and the shlt bum Chris gets 20 carries. They really must be saving David for later in the season. The only logical explanation is they are using up chris johnsons body early on when their games are in hand. By the end of the year David will be the starter barring injury, but until then he is probably a crap shoot at best.

I am hoping for a good 2nd half. Let the kid get involved when they are up big. Ya know, matt jones and tevin coleman are getting good work, but david johnson cant be trusted.

That just pisses me off. I guy like that should not even be a head coach in the NFL. Pure stupidity.

Perhaps he can't be trusted as a pass blocker? We all know that if Palmer gets breathed on wrong, he's out for the year.

• Like 1

Perhaps he can't be trusted as a pass blocker? We all know that if Palmer gets breathed on wrong, he's out for the year.

^this

Palmer is the key to the CARD's success this season.

Not David Johnson.

That just pisses me off. I guy like that should not even be a head coach in the NFL. Pure stupidity.

He must be doing something right.

The cards are 2-0. Weren't they also the division leader before Palmer went down last season?

He must be doing something right.

The cards are 2-0. Weren't they also the division leader before Palmer went down last season?

I just think David is a much better runner and a better option over Chis. I know its early in season but Chris is 30-109 with a 3.63 YPC

and David is 5-42 with a 8.4 YPC

I just dont get how some coaches dont play their most talented / productive players while other coaches do.

YPC might not tell you everything.

The key to the CARDS are their passing game. With the news of Romo getting knocked out for most of the season and Palmer having suffered 2 season ending injuries the past 2 seasons, you can't blame Arian for being conservative.

YPC might not tell you everything.

The key to the CARDS are their passing game. With the news of Romo getting knocked out for most of the season and Palmer having suffered 2 season ending injuries the past 2 seasons, you can't blame Arian for being conservative.

This seems like the most logical explanation.

poor pass blocking has kept plenty of talented players off the field.

and the big problem with putting a kid on the field who cant pass block?

If he blows up and gets a ton of yards, then he becomes a lot more difficult to coach because of success he has had running the ball. You also cant bench him without taking a lot of heat.

but if you bench him now and get the kid to learn to pass block, then when he finally starts, he is able to block and run.

So this may be a short term pain for long term gain thing. Let's hope the kid is a good study on blocking for the QB.

but when David is running the ball he dont need to block. Its the passing game. Why not let David run first and second down and Chris spell him in passing downs? Thats what my argument is

Really ? He has done a great job with that team and now he should not even be a head coach .

seriously? you think it would be a good idea to let the other team know whether you're running or passing?

if he can pass block, he should be able to play extensively. if he cannot, unfortunately he can only play sparingly.

i do not KNOW that pass blocking is the issue, but it often is in situations such as these

but when David is running the ball he dont need to block. Its the passing game. Why not let David run first and second down and Chris spell him in passing downs? Thats what my argument is

seriously? you think it would be a good idea to let the other team know whether you're running or passing?

if he can pass block, he should be able to play extensively. if he cannot, unfortunately he can only play sparingly.

i do not KNOW that pass blocking is the issue, but it often is in situations such as these

David has been in on some passing plays. So I am no I am not expecting them to tip their hand. And chris hasnt had one pass thrown his way so does that mean AZ is letting the Def know they are running. That is a stupid arguement. Try again.

and where is all this he cant block stuff coming from. From what I have read in preseason he is quite polished in the passing game and blocking. The coach said he doesnt like to start rookies because he thinks they should earn a starting spot. If thats the case then from how he has performed I would expect him to get this chance now and especially from chris johnson subpar performance. Now I read he will be getting that chance...good news

• Like 1

David Johnson should be running a route on every pass play. That dude is like a beastly receiver out of the backfield. He hits my no no spot when i watch him run.

Since when? Since forever.

Talent is the first step. The second step is knowing the play calls well enough to play more downs. And being able to pick up blocks too, call that step 2 and a half. Putting all of that together can take some time. Man, people are so impatient these days.

that is GREAT to hear.

It would have been great if the blurb said 'Crappy running back Chris Johnson was literally kicked off the team because Bruce Arians believes David Johnson can handle 65 carries a game and expects him to score more fantasy points for his owners than non white males who are offended by Donald Trump'

Here's good news. Nice to read this. CJ1K sucks.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10404/david-johnson

It's not bad news, but it's just a reporter. Coaches feed them info all the time...sometimes it's good, sometimes it's misdirection, sometimes it's what the coach was thinking at the time but changed his mind later.

I'd be happier if that was a coach who was expecting him to see more work.

Really ? He has done a great job with that team and now he should not even be a head coach .

yeah, if you are the owner, you care about wins and losses.

whether CJ2K starts or sits is not so relevant so long as you get to the final result (being a win)

I suspect there would be a lot more pressure on him to play the kid if the team was 0-2 but that clearly is not the case.

This has been a solid team while this coach has been in place. I'd be more inclined to trust him even if I dont know why he makes the moves he does.

This has been a solid team while this coach has been in place. I'd be more inclined to trust him even if I dont know why he makes the moves he does.

Plus...he has a great hat.

Plus...he has a great hat.

you cant argue with that.

yeah, if you are the owner, you care about wins and losses.

whether CJ2K starts or sits is not so relevant so long as you get to the final result (being a win)

I suspect there would be a lot more pressure on him to play the kid if the team was 0-2 but that clearly is not the case.

Of course wins and loses matter, but the most likely way to win is to have the best players getting the most time. It would be a shame to lose a game because the team was dlcking around with ineffective Chris Johnson instead of keeping David involved all game.

if the situation truly is that the coach simply doesn't play rookies on principal, then i agree he's being an idiot. considering how much is on the line, i can't imagine that is the case, but who knows.

one poster suggested he should be running a route each play he was in, perhaps suggesting things should be designed so that he's running routes/catching the ball, not blocking... alot of plays are conditional (ie, if a certain outside player rushes, the back is to hit him before going out on a route, etc). alot of nuances that need to be picked up on, and nuances that can get your QB KILLED if you miss an assignment...

i'm not saying he has or hasn't picked up on these things, i'm just saying i'm not at all surprised that it's taking some time to get the guy on the field more. plus, they're winning, so there's really no reason to rush/force things. if he's as special as he seems to be, he'll play. understand that i have him in my most important league - so i WANT him on that field, i'm just not shocked, or even surprised, that he's not playing all that much yet

David has been in on some passing plays. So I am no I am not expecting them to tip their hand. And chris hasnt had one pass thrown his way so does that mean AZ is letting the Def know they are running. That is a stupid arguement. Try again.

and where is all this he cant block stuff coming from. From what I have read in preseason he is quite polished in the passing game and blocking. The coach said he doesnt like to start rookies because he thinks they should earn a starting spot. If thats the case then from how he has performed I would expect him to get this chance now and especially from chris johnson subpar performance. Now I read he will be getting that chance...good news

• Like 1

Of course wins and loses matter, but the most likely way to win is to have the best players getting the most time. It would be a shame to lose a game because the team was dlcking around with ineffective Chris Johnson instead of keeping David involved all game.

Devil's advocate, the Redskins spent a number of years throwing together amazing roster after amazing roster of super talented players...the best talent to go 8-8 or worse year after year.

There are reasons the otherwise 'worse' player could be the better man for the job, including sheer personality (there are wideouts in the league with less talent that I'd rather have on my team than TO in his prime), but also how they mesh with the rest of the people on the team. Not saying anything about Johnson here, just saying. :)

if the situation truly is that the coach simply doesn't play rookies on principal, then i agree he's being an idiot. considering how much is on the line, i can't imagine that is the case, but who knows.

one poster suggested he should be running a route each play he was in, perhaps suggesting things should be designed so that he's running routes/catching the ball, not blocking... alot of plays are conditional (ie, if a certain outside player rushes, the back is to hit him before going out on a route, etc). alot of nuances that need to be picked up on, and nuances that can get your QB KILLED if you miss an assignment...

i'm not saying he has or hasn't picked up on these things, i'm just saying i'm not at all surprised that it's taking some time to get the guy on the field more. plus, they're winning, so there's really no reason to rush/force things. if he's as special as he seems to be, he'll play. understand that i have him in my most important league - so i WANT him on that field, i'm just not shocked, or even surprised, that he's not playing all that much yet

I guess what is frustrating is other rookies are getting the chance to play more when David has just as much talent if not more.

If you make me guess, i'd guess that the cards spent all preseason thinking that ellington would be the guy, CJ0K would back up, and david johnson would provide the occassional spark plug play including special teams.

atlanta, as just an example, perhaps spent the preseason more focused on tevin being an integral part of the first team offense from the start. same with san diego and gordon

in this hypothetical, it makes sense that it might take the cards a little longer to get david johnson involved.

i'll bet they DO get him more involved before too long, fwiw

I guess what is frustrating is other rookies are getting the chance to play more when David has just as much talent if not more.

to further this thought: ellington has been pretty darned electric in his own right...WHEN HE'S HEALTHY. so putting him at #1 and making DJ an afterthought is not a bad concept, if there was any reason to believe he could stay healthy (which is the questionable judgment call)

If you make me guess, i'd guess that the cards spent all preseason thinking that ellington would be the guy, CJ0K would back up, and david johnson would provide the occassional spark plug play including special teams.

atlanta, as just an example, perhaps spent the preseason more focused on tevin being an integral part of the first team offense from the start. same with san diego and gordan

in this hypothetical, it makes sense that it might take the cards a little longer to get david johnson involved.

i'll bet they DO get him more involved before too long, fwiw

Sometimes coaches will make the wrong move because of pressure from the public or the owner.

also, sometimes a player comes into the league and they are NFL ready. they block well, they run well, they do the little things well.

Not all players are in this position. I suspect if this kid was one of those, he would have went in the first few picks of the first round.

The fact that the Coach has the guts to sit him tells me that he's strong in his feelings on the matter. I do suspect it is an issue of blocking and/or blitz pickup.

With an Aging Carson Palmer, you dont want him taking big hits, so you protect him. This seems to make sense. And Since the team is winning, there is no urgency to rush him into the lineup before he is ready.

he will get there. Its just gonna take some time.