Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

What age is safe for kids to be home alone?

My sons are 11 and 9. Currently, they'e only home alone for an hour each day when my wife and I take the dog for a walk after work. We are always in the neighborhood and just a phone call away.

They have lots of 1/2 days at school when I pick them up and they come back to work with me til 4 or 5. They have a little space set up in the warehouse with a tv, fridge, etc. Sometimes they help clean up or move things around. Other times, they're a distraction.

I was thinking of letting them have a go at staying home alone on Friday after their 1/2 day.

Of course, when I was a kid, there was not even a second thought about where I was or what I was doing at that age. All my parents cared about was if I was home by dinner time. These days, CPS intervenes if kids are walking home from school.

What are the geeks doing?

Why don't you take the kids on the walk with you?

Either way it really depends on the child itself... I felt a lot better having my daughter home alone at a younger age than my son because she was much more mature and independent...

• Like 1

Obviously, it varies with the maturity level of the kids. I have a daughter so that makes quite a bit of difference. She is mature and responsible and almost 16 and I still rarely leave her home alone. :D

A bit overprotective I guess.

• Like 1

Middle school was pretty much our barometer. Once you are in middle school, you should be good to go at home for a few hours by yourself.

• Like 1

Why don't you take the kids on the walk with you?

Either way it really depends on the child itself... I felt a lot better having my daughter home alone at a younger age than my son because she was much more mature and independent...

It's about the only time my wife and I have to ourselves during the waking hours. They walk with us on the weekends when we take the dog to the state park or sand dunes.

These days the house could be on fire and the kids would be distracted by Fortnite. There is very little danger of much happening.

Middle school was pretty much our barometer. Once you are in middle school, you should be good to go at home for a few hours by yourself.

That sounds about right to me too. 13 or so.

Totally varies on maturity and sheltered puzsy factor. At 11 I was well able to take care of myself if my parents wanted to go out. Even younger than that really. If a kid is in middle school and needs a babysitter, you have raised a useless crybaby who will likely live at home til hes 30. Remember our generation and older? Like Vudu said, home by dinner, do what you want otherwise. Perfectly capable of being the man of the house at a young age. Now? We have parents thinking their 15yr old wont be able to handle a scary movie or god forbid...a BOOBIE! GASP!

You think there are a lot of cucks now? Just wait til the kids today grow up. It will be strange to not be a cuck.

My oldest hits middle school next year. He's captain of the safety patrols, a straight A student and pretty responsible. My youngest is also a safety patrol and a good student, but much more reckless. His first comment upon receiving his patrol belt this year was "Yay, we're patrols! Now we can do what we want!"

During the summer, unless they are in baseball, basketball or beach camp, they come with me to work. I'd like to start giving them some time alone during the summer so they can move right into it after school next year. Work is only 5 min away and I can pick up and get home any time I need to.

These days the house could be on fire and the kids would be distracted by Fortnite. There is very little danger of much happening.

Fortnite and all other online video games have been banned at our house.

As soon as theyre old enough to take a punch to the face by a 65 240 lb man.

So 11.

• Like 2

Totally varies on maturity and sheltered puzsy factor. At 11 I was well able to take care of myself if my parents wanted to go out. Even younger than that really. If a kid is in middle school and needs a babysitter, you have raised a useless crybaby who will likely live at home til hes 30. Remember our generation and older? Like Vudu said, home by dinner, do what you want otherwise. Perfectly capable of being the man of the house at a young age. Now? We have parents thinking their 15yr old wont be able to handle a scary movie or god forbid...a BOOBIE! GASP!

You think there are a lot of cucks now? Just wait til the kids today grow up. It will be strange to not be a cuck.

Good points. They need to be able to fend for themselves a little.

I think they'd probably be fine at home by themselves on half days and during the summer. The sticking point is when they want to go outside. I don't want them locked inside all day but I also don't want them roaming the neighborhood if my wife or I aren't actually in the neighborhood too. I've thought about making a rule that they can go outside, but only in our yard. Not sure how that would work.

As soon as theyre old enough to take a punch to the face by a 65 240 lb man.

So 11.

They can take a punch from any geek here. Two from you.

• Like 1

kevin mccallister was 8

• Like 1

I think they'd probably be fine at home by themselves on half days and during the summer. The sticking point is when they want to go outside. I don't want them locked inside all day but I also don't want them roaming the neighborhood if my wife or I aren't actually in the neighborhood too. I've thought about making a rule that they can go outside, but only in our yard. Not sure how that would work.

For my son, when he was in middle school, just turned 16, he would have to text us anytime he wanted to visit some of his friends in the subdivision. Safe area but, sh!t happens, so I was always nervous. He didn't know but, we tracked his phone as well. I could always tell where he was and under no circumstances was he to be without his phone.

It sucks for these kids but, right or wrong, they'll never get the freedom we got as kids.

• Like 1

Outside in your yard is a fine compromise until you are comfortable with their maturity to go elsewhere. If your concern instead is some perv abducting them, you need to get over it and let them spread their wings. Our job as parents is to train our kids to become adults, and ultimately parents. :cheers:

• Like 1

This pretty much. My girls are 13, son is 10. They stay home 3-4 hours by themselves.

They can take a punch from any geek here. Two from you.

😀

Wow, in our house it was the exact opposite, our parents wouldn't leave us home alone after the age 14. :dunno:

:thumbsup:

I begged and pleaded and acted sick and they still wouldn't leave me home when they were going out of town to see family :mad:

Was a latchkey kid starting in the first grade. No worries.

But why aren't you taking your kid to walk the dog with you?

I'd say it depends how close they live to Giants Fan. :dunno:

Was a latchkey kid starting in the first grade. No worries.

But why aren't you taking your kid to walk the dog with you?

As stated above, it's basically the only waking hour my wife and I have to ourselves, and we don't even get to do it every day. They're up with us at 6, and we all have sh!t to do in the morning before we're off to work/school. I pick them up from school, wife gets home at 5 and we walk from 5-6. 6-7:30 or 8 is make and eat dinner. Then homework and get sh!t ready for the next day. 8:30-10 is watch tv, play games, play with the dog, hang out. 10 is bed time. If we sex it up, we'll be up til 11 ish.

Add basketball, football, baseball practices and games, special events, church, their friends coming over, our friends coming over, and it's gets even harder for us to find adult time together.

Also, for realz, get a sitter

We drop em off at Grandmas sometimes.

For the most part, we like doing stuff as a family and so do they. At some point soon, they wont.

:lol: I clicked on it thinking I'd get a good tip for our 2 and 4 year old.

Same. Come to find out it isnt an article. Focking liar.