Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

What age do you feel your mind started to slip?

Im not talking descent into senility here. Just no longer at the height of your powers.

Im 38. I can already feel it. I used to have a good memory. Like freakishly good. Like could amaze people by reciting sh!t verbatim that was said months earlier. Thats gone.

Of late, I cant seem to recall things I know as readily and quickly as I did.

I also seem to be making a lot more dumbass mistakes anymore. Like forgetting to bring things. Forgetting why I came in a room.

Starting to bum me out.

I'm starting to lose, hey look at that bird over, what was I saying.....oh yeah, I love to be in nature. It's great seeing all the....what are those things called..damn, ummmm, ahh, deer yea, no, not deer um,.....

Anyway, I'm starting to get forgetful at my curent age of, um, how the eff old, oh yeah, 43.

After seeing my folks slip, especially my mom, and growing up with a grandmother with Alzheimer's, this ship scare the hell out of me.

It's just something I do, but I keep a running list of major us and Global events from the day my brother died forward. It's a little over 700 items that last look. I keep writing and rewriting that list manually. Something about typing it just doesn't do it for me.

And then I'll randomly throw out a year and try to get myself to list as many items that occurred that year as possible. With as much detail as I can muster.

It may be whistling past the graveyard. But with dementia and Alzheimer's, you typically retain your long-term memory the longest. It's the short-term stuff that disappears fast.

So, this is why I do what I do.

But I think some of it has to be subject matter. I've tried to fill my brain with the rules of various card games and it just doesn't take. I don't like playing cards. And I think my brain just isn't wired to retain that.

Now, ask me everything I know about the July 7 bombings in London? I can list all of the major perpetrators first and last name. As well as the address of one of the key build houses. And about 20 other facts.

Ask me how to score cribbage? I couldn't do it at gun point.

Ask me how to score cribbage? I couldn't do it at gun point.

Chick asked me to play the other night. I used to play so much as a kid, I was a whizz at adding the score. Could blurt it out without adding it 2 by 2

Now I play and I am like, 15 is 2, a run for 3 is 5 and the right jack for 6

Just in case you're interested, 2008 had a few really big events. Like Mumbai. But really not a whole lot of Big Ticket items. On the flip side, 2005 was probably the single biggest year in the last Dozen Years.

And knowing that? Does absolutely nothing for me.

But hopefully it keeps the tau proteins from building up any faster then necessary.

About 40 years ago, I noticed that time keeps on slippin' into the future.

last GFIAFP thread I read

About 40 years ago, I noticed that time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin', into the future.

fixed

Also around 40 years ago, I noticed that the nearer my destination, the more I'm slip slidin' away.

D'nile ain't just a river

Im not talking descent into senility here. Just no longer at the height of your powers.

Im 38. I can already feel it. I used to have a good memory. Like freakishly good. Like could amaze people by reciting sh!t verbatim that was said months earlier. Thats gone.

I also seem to be making a lot more dumbass mistakes anymore. Like forgetting to bring things. Forgetting why I came in a room.

Starting to bum me out.

Drugs. Should have laid off. Im sharp as ever. Clean, good living does that.

About 40 years ago, I noticed that time keeps on slippin' into the future.

Really? Ive always thought it was slip sliding away.

ETA: on the moon

It was right after I watched Billy Madison discuss how the industrial revolution changed the face of the modern novel.

When I was young I was given a choice between an extremely large pennis or a great memory. What are we talking about again? :unsure:

Drugs. Should have laid off. Im sharp as ever. Clean, good living does that.

Maybe if you smoked weed you wouldnt be so mad and threatening to beat people up online all the time.

Im sharp as ever. Clean, good living does that.

That's the great thing about butter knives. It's not like they can get much duller.

I'm pretty sure all the hits that I took to my head playing sports as a youngster are the soul cause for me growing up to be a homicidal gay Mexican.

I'm pretty sure all the hits that I took to my head playing sports as a youngster are the soul cause for me growing up to be a homicidal gay Mexican.

You forgot to sign in as Cruiser.

Starting to bum me out.

I'm almost 60 and am sharper than ever :thumbsup:

Though I do struggle to memorize lyrics. I'm chalking that up to focus issues though which are related to diet, health and environment.

That's the great thing about butter knives. It's not like they can get much duller.

That is good news for me!

Oh, wait a second.......

Maybe if you smoked weed you wouldnt be so mad and threatening to beat people up online all the time.

You're so cute when you follow me around :wub:

Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber. And jeopardy.

im 51 and I still forget which side my gas cap is on. Yeah I know about the little icon, but I still have to look. That kinda bugs me

At 46-47 it's like a switch flipped. Scary.

This. Hate it. I do payroll twice a month and have to fill in tiny boxes for ficca and what not. My account called me recently and asked why my 3's 5's and 8's are backwards. I still hand write checks for my 1099's. Dee: You wrote a check for $555.33 and wrote on the check three hundred thirty three and fifty five cents. Oooops.

Not sure when it started, but I used to be much quicker and sharper in my 20s and 30s.

The decline has been slow but steady.

At 54, an ooccaisonal power nap really helps

:lol:

Early 40s. I, too, had a great memory. More and more Im forgetting stuff, sometimes easy stuff gets stuck on the tip of my tongue.

On the plus side, I just got my highest scrabble score the other night, against my wife.