Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Hockey's problem?

I'm at a bar in Phoenix. Having a beer watching some screens.

Over and over I am looking, and now watching the hockey game.

Hockey, especially playoff hockey, is hard to beat from a watchability and excitement level.

But why do I never seek it out??

Poor marketing? Cause it's a damn exciting sport to watch.

You probably don't understand icing. It is not a sport that many can relate to. Playoff hockey is good, but fans can't connect to it easily

You probably don't understand icing. It is not a sport that many can relate to. Playoff hockey is good, but fans can't connect to it easily

Um what?? Weird reply. So because I don't understand icing(which I of course do) THAT'S your reason why fans don't watch??

Um what?? Weird reply. So because I don't understand icing(which I of course do) THAT'S your reason why fans don't watch??

Fans don't understand half of the rules, so they can't relate. Got it?

I love watching it in person. Can't stand watching it on TV. Very hard to follow the puck

The marketing is terrible. I bet plenty of guys on this board can't name 5 current players.

Even for the playoffs, I rely on the espn app to know when and where the games are on.

I really think the NHL should give some big network the right to broadcast i game a week in a good time slot for free just to have it out there and try to get people interested.

It's an uphill battle because so few people in most of the country grow up playing hockey, but it should be much more popular than it is.

I love watching it in person. Can't stand watching it on TV. Very hard to follow the puck

What are you a 70 year old woman with poor eye sight? It's not that hard to follow

I do think the speed and pick are too fast for casual fans... if you are not use to the flow of the game I could see it being easy to lose what's going on.

Playoff hockey is amazing but like posted above I don't seek it out

I think it's a number of things obviously marketing is a big one.

The product on television is not very good. Where every other sport the television programming is almost better than actually going.

It's also a little bit of a niche sport. What I mean by that is you usually don't go play Pick-up Hockey. I mean you need a ton of equipment and you need rink time and as a kid you need someone to take you there.

Whereas football basketball and even baseball doesn't require very much equipment and you can usually play it with your neighborhood friends in someone's yard or driveway.

It definitely is a sport I wish I liked though. But I didn't grow up with it. The state of Iowa I'm not even sure if we even have any High School hockey teams?

What are you a 70 year old woman with poor eye sight? It's not that hard to follow

GFY. How's that?

Um, buy a bigger TV with high def? Problem solved.

Um, buy a bigger TV with high def? Problem solved.

already have a 70" with 4K ultra HD.

You can market it all you want down here. But except for a select group, southerners don't give a shiit about it.

I remember back in the day they tried to highlight the puck to make it easier to follow. I think that made it worse.

I'm a casual hockey fan. I'll watch the Red Wings rarely during the season but always tried to follow them during the playoffs. Obviously not this year.

I didn't even know there was a game on until this thread and couldn't tell you the 4 teams left before I turned on NBCSN.

And that's another problem right there, wtf is NBCSN? I gotta search my guide or google it to find the channel.

already have a 70" with 4K ultra HD.

I can't see how you're having a problem following the puck then. My vision isnt close to what it once was and I have no issue.

The marketing is terrible. I bet plenty of guys on this board can't name 5 current players.

Even for the playoffs, I rely on the espn app to know when and where the games are on.

I really think the NHL should give some big network the right to broadcast i game a week in a good time slot for free just to have it out there and try to get people interested.

It's an uphill battle because so few people in most of the country grow up playing hockey, but it should be much more popular than it is.

They can in the market teams. Hockey has a scoring problem. Huge 6'6" goalies and huge pads have slowed down scoring.

Fans don't understand half of the rules, so they can't relate. Got it?

You named one rule. Now that you clarified yeah.

I would venture to say about 40% of people that watch football don't know many of the rules, so no. And you can jack that number up to 75% for the Super Bowl. Rules ain't the issue.

I'm at a bar in Phoenix. Having a beer watching some screens.

Thanks for proposing a geek meat. <_<

Holy shite. This is as intense as it gets. Surprised at the speed of play in an OT game 7

The problem is I have work early tomorrow. I am out.

I agree no shootouts in playoffs, there should be better scheduling.

Thanks for proposing a geek meat. <_<

I'm here in two weeks. Working off i-10 exit 140. Staying in tempe. Would be happy to meet your dumb ass.

But I won't kiss you

I'm here in two weeks. Working off i-10 exit 140. Staying in tempe. Would be happy to meet your dumb ass.

But I won't kiss you

140... looks like 43rd Ave? I'm not far from Tempe though; exit 157 from I-10 Send me a PM about your schedule in 2 weeks when you have it set. :cheers:

That puck could have easily been stopped twice.

Most goals seem like 95% luck which is why I'm not a big fan.

I would venture to say about 40% of people that watch football don't know many of the rules, so no. And you can jack that number up to 75% for the Super Bowl. Rules ain't the issue.

Rules account for a big part of it though.

The other things boil down to a combo of: Casual watchers don't understand unique nuances like having the puck trapped inside a zone or line changes (immense pressure). A guy like Sidney Crosby isn't always on the ice as well (star power). Trapping a puck can be a good thing for both teams (opposing team doesn't get line change, aggressor gets face off in zone).

These three things are much easier to understand in other professional sports.

LeBron, down by 3, has the ball in his hands with 25 seconds to go.

Tom Brady, down by 6, has the ball at their 40.

With hockey, the third line could be out there, down one goal with 10:00 left in the game. A dude named Artemi Panarin scores a tying goal after chipping in garbage around the crease. Sure, the game is tied, but you didn't get the star powered highlight most likely, and as a result, you don't get the mass camaraderie sharing those moments.

The biggest factor is very few people play hockey. Everyone plays at least backyard football and baseball and basketball in the driveway.

I actually liked hockey a lot when I was younger but was turned off by the fighting.

Once I moved to Georgia, I stopped watching altogether.

I have a hard time getting in to any sport that has so many games during the regular season. Baeball, basketball, hockey are all too many.

I don't even watch playoff hockey unless it's on in a bar, but when it's on I get into it. Very intense.