Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Justin Blackmon

Blackmon compares more favorably with Hakeem Nicks and Dwayne Bowe – two receivers drafted in the twenties of their respective drafts – than A.J. Green and Julio Jones. Regardless, Jacksonville has now provided Blaine Gabbert with some legitimate weapons with this pick and its free agent signings (Laurent Robinson, Lee Evans). Blackmon is incredble after the catch and could possibly lead the Jags in receptions in his rookie season. Although he takes a statistical hit working with Gabbert (instead of Sam Bradford), it is also way too early to close the book on Gabbert. Blackmon probably deserves low-end WR3 fantasy consideration this summer in 12-team leagues.

I can think of no worse starting NFL QB than Gabbart for Blackmon to land with. With LRob and Blackmon, it should take some pressure off MJD to completely carry the team, however.

No one will argue that Gabbert's abysmal rookie season was simply a function of having the league's worst receiving corps. But what I do know is he had no business starting last season with that collection of "talent". (Talk about destroying a QB's confidence early.) But Del Rio ultimately decided it was more important to buy himself some time than bring Gabbert along slowly. Gabbert has the physical tools, but Mike Mularkey and Bob Bratkowski have a lot of work to do with his psyche if his production is ever going to approach his talent. The first step: adding players like Blackmon and Robinson.

One more note: I should have said potential low-end WR3 status for Blackmon; that's his ceiling. WR4 seems much more likely.