Sign in to follow this  
Four ‘Game Of Thrones’ Offshoot Series In Works At HBO With George R. R. Martin...

http://deadline.com/2017/05/game-of-thrones-universe-series-prequel-sequel-spinoff-hbo-george-r-r-martin-dan-weiss-david-benioff-1202084257/

As Game of Thrones is heading into the final chapters of its eight-season run on HBO, the premium cable network has revealed some information about its succession plan, signing deals with four writers to join George R.R. Martin in the development and writing of four GOT offshoot series.

The network would not specify whether the series would be prequels, sequels, spinoffs or companion series to GoT or all of the above only noting that each project would explore different time periods of George R. R. Martins vast and rich universe in his epic fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire.

GoT creators/executive producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff, who are finishing up the upcoming seventh season and already are in the midst of writing and preparing for the series eighth and final season, are attached as executive producers on all projects alongside Martin but will not be involved in the writing. The four potential GoT offshoot series will be written by:

• Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island)
  • Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, Kingsman and X-Men franchises), George R. R. Martin
  • Brian Helgeland (Mystic River, A Knights Tale)
  • Carly Wray (AMCs Mad Man), George R. R. Martin
HBO stresses that all four projects are in development. There is no set timetable for them, and they will be evaluated when the scripts are completed.

It is logical to assume that the network would like to have a new GoT-themed series launch behind the final season of the blockbuster mothership show.

HBO brass had hinted about trying to expand the popular GoT franchise with additional series, including a possible prequel or spinoff. Martin, who is under an overall deal at HBO, also had been alluding to new projects he has in the works at the network.

Game of Thrones is one of the biggest series on television alongside AMCs The Walking Dead, which too got a companion series with prequel Fear the Walking Dead.

The problem with Game of Thrones is twofold. GRRM is a slow writer and he also didn't have final say on how the characters and stories went. When the writers were using GRRM's stuff they were following him mostly but still going off their own way..l iike making Catelyn and Margaery more likeable and less flawed. Then when they ran out of GRRM material, they just really went crazy. Some plotlines were cut and eh, OK budgetary reasons, but why totally rewrite the storyline that GRRM had written himself? but this is George's fault himself as he is too much of a perfectionist so he is a painfully slow writer while meanwhile HBO has writers, actors, deadlines, sets, props.

I think the way forward is to give George hiring power of the writers, oversight, have them write the stuff he tells them to, get it to 85% of what he likes, let him edit, change rewrite, polish off the rest so it's his story. What he mostly needs is a kick in the ass to move faster.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

signing deals with four writers to join George R.R. Martin in the development and writing of four GOT offshoot series.

So I guess we're NEVER going to see The Winds of Winter. <_<

Kingsmen, what a bad ass movie. Now I want to watch it

I've never seen it. I am going to download that right focking now. I've heard it's awesome.

Complete and utter bullshiit.

Just make full seasons amd continue the story. If you can hire writers to work with slow ass Martin to make spinoffs, just keep writing content for the current series.

There are so many loose ends and current story lines to flesh out and they are only giving us 13 more episodes.

Complete and utter BS.

Remember that white walker army marching toward the wall in season 2? Those are some slow ass white walkers... we went an entire season without any Brann storyline (which was fine with me because I don't like him) but you get my point. Plenty of content to work with and continue to fesh out. Jorah has stone disease, Tyrion is running thay slave city.. would like to see more with the sand snakes in dorn... could go on and on.

Also Bronn should end up on the iron throne :)