Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Boardwalk Empire

Dude who played Omar is in it. That in itself makes it worth seeing.

I pretty much said that in the other thread and still belive it.

They sure are hyping this thing as the next best thing for HBO since Sopranos.

Hope So

I am interested in checking it out. Always been into mob stories...might hold off watching it till I can watch a bunch of episodes in a row though.

itsatip that you're pretty much irrelevant around here. hth. :cheers:

True. I'd rather be a political punching bag like you. :overhead:

True. I'd rather be a political punching bag like you. :overhead:

I'd rather be a political punching bag at FFT, than the last of a dying breed in BFE middle America. :cheers:

I'd rather be a political punching bag at FFT, than the last of a dying breed in BFE middle America. :cheers:

From the looks of your avatar you'll be dead soon enough from a heart attack.

From the looks of your avatar you'll be dead soon enough from a heart attack.

That's Danny McBride as Kenny Powers in "Eastbound and Down". HTH.

Without spoiling it...is it any good? Didn't get a chance to watch it...endured a half of my Giants getting stomped before crawling to bed.

Any more reviews? Don't have HBO, but can wait for it to come out on Netflix if it's any good.

it will be on streaming netflix, thats how god aweful it was

it will be on streaming netflix, thats how god aweful it was

:lol: That would be bad for an HBO show, but most good network shows are streaming. I really like Buscemi and Michael Williams(dude who played Omar) and it's a really hyped show. That would definitely be a downer if it's as bad as you say.

Got it on the DVR, but haven't watched yet. I'll be watching tonight, depending on the MNF game. Got a feeling MNF won't be worth watching after the first half.

Got it on the DVR, but haven't watched yet. I'll be watching tonight, depending on the MNF game. Got a feeling MNF won't be worth watching after the first half.

again, how about that new orleans show? any good?

wasnt terrible but wasnt great.

i never got into sopranos much... then again this is gangster not "mob".

i'll continue to give it a chance.

im kind of surprised eastbound and down got another season. season 1 was was pretty bad. a few laughs but overall stupid. Kind of like flight of the concordes.

Rothstein was the original gangster - well the way people view the 20's-50's style gangsters. Basically taught Luciano , Lansky , and Bugsy everything.

The show was decent at best - Al Capones character was decent and Nucky's character was good but basically everyone else sucked.

I thought it showed a lot of potential. The first show is obviously going to have to sacrifice depth to cover the amount of ground necessary. You can see that the main theme is going to be Nucky's descent. He actually thought that bootlegging was going to be as easy as buying and selling.

im kind of surprised eastbound and down got another season. season 1 was was pretty bad. a few laughs but overall stupid. Kind of like flight of the concordes.

I must be very immature because I loved that show. So many one liners I laugh just thinking about it.

I must be very immature because I loved that show. So many one liners I laugh just thinking about it.

Eastbound?

it definately had its share of 1 liners, but i don't see the substance for any sustained run. thats why i was shocked it even got a 2nd season.

I liked it. But I like most gangster movies and tv shows. And killing that guy who beat his wife and caused her to lose her baby made my day. It's what I want to do to every man who lays a hand on his wife in anger. I hate stick boy wife beaters. And so does God. Stone em all. :mad:

Watched it last night with the wife. We both though it was decent with some potential. I'll keep watching.

It seemed pretty slow for the first 40 minutes or so but that's because they introduced so many characters. The show looks like it has potential to be really good. Of course I may be biased because I'm a huge nerd for any show about the gangster era.

I liked it too. Pretty hard to form an opinion after one show. Need to let the plot and characters develop.

That being said... I'm looking forward to the new Season of Dexter way more than EP2 of Boardwalk Empire!

:banana:

Question that has a small spoiler with in it...

Why did the dude with the mustache and real thick accent who got shot in the back of the head at the end of the episode get whacked?

Question that has a small spoiler with in it...

Why did the dude with the mustache and real thick accent who got shot in the back of the head at the end of the episode get whacked?

admittedly i wasnt giving it my full attention but i did wonder about that too. he was at the dinner earlier and seemed to be cool with the chicago gangsters.. but im not sure who his character was?

I suppose it was a good way to end the show and that we find out in the next episode.

I suppose it was a good way to end the show and that we find out in the next episode.

You might be right. Looked into it a little further and that character appears to be based on James "Big Jim" Colosimo. Per wiki...possible spoiler below:

"When prohibition went into effect in 1920, Torrio pushed for the gang to enter into bootlegging, but Colosimo refused. In May 1920, Colosimo went out of town to marry his second wife, Dale Winter (he had deserted his first wife). After Colosimo returned to Chicago a week later, Torrio called him and let him know about a shipment arriving at his cafe. When Colosimo appeared at the cafe to wait for its delivery, he was shot and killed. The initial murder suspect was his new wife Dale, but no one was ever arrested for the murder. It was widely believed that Torrio ordered Colosimo's killing so that the gang could enter the lucrative bootlegging business. Torrio reportedly brought in New York colleague, Frankie Yale, to murder Colosimo. Al Capone has also been suspected as Colosimo's assassin.[1]

Colosimo was the first to organize disparate parts of Chicago's crime scene. After his death, his gang was controlled first by John Torrio and then Al Capone. It would become the infamous Chicago Outfit."

wasnt terrible but wasnt great.

i never got into sopranos much... then again this is gangster not "mob".

i'll continue to give it a chance.

Enough to convince me that I never need to watch an episode of "Eastbound & Down". Thanks.

Anyone else notice the subtle and not so subtle innuendos regarding left and right politics ?

Gotta love the bullshoit final line in episode 2....

Vote republican, even though the truth of the matter is all those corrupt racist focks were democrats.

:lol:

They do it on every series they make....its really pathetic but they know there are so many feeble minded dumb asses out there, that it wont take much to help advance their agenda.

The last two episodes have been pretty damn good. :thumbsup:

Not sure how many of you are still watching...

I'll catch last nights when I get home. Dam good show if ya ask me.....

Last nights episode was meh.

Too much Margaret Schroeder and not nearly enough Agent Nelson Van Alden

Huge fan of the show and always liked Steve Buscemi. They killed him off too fast on the sopranos

Last nights episode was meh.

Aww, c'mon...

Naked Lesbians and a "Two-Faced" Sniper who's no longer a virgin dishing out pew pew justice? Nearly clapped when that weird focker shot that dude in the face.