Sign in to follow this  
cbfalcon

New music I can't stop listening to

Big radio guy here, and this one has really grown on me.

I like how the kids in the beginning sing a part that you hear again near the end.

Just bought my ticket to see The National at the new Raleigh Ampitheatre on June 10th. :thumbsup:

First time seeing them live last night. Great show, they lived up to my expectations. Opened with Don't Swallow the Cap, performed a number of songs like Pink Rabbits and I Should Live in Salt from the new album but also played the favorites like Abel, Mr.November, Fake Empire, Bloodbuzz, first encore song was a bad ass more guitar driven Terrible Love which was the highlight for me.

I was impressed as I wasn't sure how The National would be live (we were outside in an ampitheatre) compared to studio work. I was happy.

The only thing I was a little bummed about is that they didn't bring their horn section along. A bunch of the songs I enjoy from them are the ones with the horn section, but they must not come along for all the shows.

First time seeing them live last night. Great show, they lived up to my expectations. Opened with Don't Swallow the Cap, performed a number of songs like Pink Rabbits and I Should Live in Salt from the new album but also played the favorites like Abel, Mr.November, Fake Empire, Bloodbuzz, first encore song was a bad ass more guitar driven Terrible Love which was the highlight for me.

I was impressed as I wasn't sure how The National would be live (we were outside in an ampitheatre) compared to studio work. I was happy.

The only thing I was a little bummed about is that they didn't bring their horn section along. A bunch of the songs I enjoy from them are the ones with the horn section, but they must not come along for all the shows.

:thumbsup: I've only seen them once, and it was in a more intimate venue. But even I was surprised that they managed to actually rock and make it pretty intense. I love that this band is catching on (here and in general). For some reason, I'm taking pride in it. :dunno:

Still haven't announced any Texas dates for this tour outside of ACL. :mad:

:thumbsup: I've only seen them once, and it was in a more intimate venue. But even I was surprised that they managed to actually rock and make it pretty intense. I love that this band is catching on (here and in general). For some reason, I'm taking pride in it. :dunno:

I actually think the Geek Club and possibly you in particular are the one's who turned me on to the band. Like 3 or 4 years ago. I went out and bought Boxer and then High Violet came out very soon thereafter. It took me a good two or three run throughs of each Album but they are one of my favorites now and have been for a while.

For that, I am indebted to you turds. Well done. :music_guitarred:

I actually think the Geek Club and possibly you in particular are the one's who turned me on to the band. Like 3 or 4 years ago. I went out and bought Boxer and then High Violet came out very soon thereafter. It took me a good two or three run throughs of each Album but they are one of my favorites now and have been for a while.

For that, I am indebted to you turds. Well done. :music_guitarred:

Posts like that make me feel like I'm making a difference in the world. I appreciate it. :cheers:

New music to which I can't stop listening - never end a sentence with a preposition. Don't you people know anything??? :doh:

Saw them at the House of Blues in 2010. The BofA Pavillion in 2011. And Boston Calling 2 weeks ago. HoB was probably the best being such a small venue, and High Violet had just come out. They played nearly the whole album, and half of Alligator and Boxer.

Not sure how new it is, but I just started listening to it and am really digging it:

Alt-J is playing Lollapalooza. Just thought I would throw that out there. Planning on a camping trip that week, but if that falls through, might head to Chi-town to check this out.

Not sure how new it is, but I just started listening to it and am really digging it:

That Radioactive song is mucho overplayed, but I did download it and will occasionally play it while working out. It's pretty good at making me feel like I'm in a movie. :thumbsup:

I loved The Arctic Monkeys so much when they first emerged. Saw them at The Granada (movie theater converted to a venue) in 2006 and it was one of the cooler shows I've seen. My interest faded a bit with each album, but this new song and it's Jukebox Hero opening is pretty cool on first listen.

Not that any of you indie geeks at this forearm give a crap, but Kalmah's new album was officially released today. Been leaked for a couple of weeks though, if you have resources.

My favorite song

First official video

Can't get past the demon growl

I know I'm very late to the party, but I've been playing the hell out of the black Keys lately. Brothers and El Camino specifically. Man, those are two good albums.

First new Pixies tune, post Kim.

As soon as I hear their guitars and that voice, I'm usually in. But I need singing and melody, not talk/chanting the verses. The chorus had a cool sound, but the verses made the song boring to me.

Love me some Pixies though. :thumbsup:

I know I'm very late to the party, but I've been playing the hell out of the black Keys lately. Brothers and El Camino specifically. Man, those are two good albums.

I recognize their greatness, but I've never been able to latch on to them.

I've always said that my favorite songs are the ones that I'm not totally sure about on first listen, but something is intriguing about it. Then I listen more and more and they reveal themselves to me. Black Keys (admittedly I only know 5 songs or so) seem to sound really cool on first listen. It's right there in my face. But on each subsequent listen I find myself a bit less interested.

I have a feeling I'd enjoy them live though.

Good to see a post from you. A few of us where wondering where you've been lately.

:cheers:

As soon as I hear their guitars and that voice, I'm usually in. But I need singing and melody, not talk/chanting the verses. The chorus had a cool sound, but the verses made the song boring to me.

Love me some Pixies though. :thumbsup:

Agree. It's not so much a "new tune I can't stop listening to". I dont really like the tune that much either. They're just one of the most influential bands in my lifetime. Figured many of you gents grew up with them too.

Arcade Fire Refleckor reviews? :dunno:

I caught them on SNL so that's it in regards to the new album. Whats up with the face paint? :unsure:

Artic Monkeys newest album, AM, is great. As is Cage the Elephants most recent a few months ago. Both of those have been on heavy rotation.

Arcade Fire? I simply don't like their direction for my taste. I'm all for experimenting, and doing new things but I just don't get their latest album. :blah:

Arcade Fire Refleckor reviews? :dunno:

I caught them on SNL so that's it in regards to the new album. Whats up with the face paint? :unsure:

I bought it. It sucks. Utterly unlistenable IMHO.

I thought funeral was perhaps the best album of the decade. Neon Bible was decent. Suburbs and reflektor are only usable as coasters.

I bought it. It sucks. Utterly unlistenable IMHO.

I thought funeral was perhaps the best album of the decade. Neon Bible was decent. Suburbs and reflektor are only usable as coasters.

I think the word we are looking for is....pretentious. It happens to some bands, they (as my mama used to say) got to big for their britches.

I like the new Arcade Fire, but don't love it like Funeral or Neon Bible.

Heard Volcano Choir with Bon Iver the other day on SiriusXMU. Certainly Bon Iver-ish but thought it was very good.

Can somebody go over to the The Closet and tell mobb deep and cbfalcon to come in this thread please. Jimmy Christmas aren't they over their geek club hissy fit yet? I need some new music. They have to be tired of talking to one another by now.

There's a local Philly band called The War on Drugs that has a pretty interesting take on 80s radio rock like Bruce Speingsteen and Tom Petty, only with longer songs, keyboards and a little more noise and dreamier. Here's a review:

http://www.popmatters.com/review/179731-the-war-on-drugs-lost-in-the-dream/

And the video to one of my favorite songs on the new record:

Seems like the kind of thing some geeks would like. :dunno:

There's some good songs that I think the music oriented geeks would like on the

to the The Art of Flight. I really like the soft ones. Most of them are energetic though.

Can somebody go over to the The Closet and tell mobb deep and cbfalcon to come in this thread please. Jimmy Christmas aren't they over their geek club hissy fit yet? I need some new music. They have to be tired of talking to one another by now.

Ha. I've actually been on this board again this last week or so as it seems to have lightened up a bit. I'll post some songs ASAP, as I have to admit I thought a few of these posts were jokes. Only to realize otherwise

I really like the new Midlake album. They've always had a cool vibe. They don't grab you with instant hooks, but if you listen to these songs a couple of times you'll find yourself walking around with them stuck in your head.

This isn't anything ground breaking from them, but fock if I don't love TV on the Radio. New song from a few months back and a new album apparently due soon. This is one of those bands that I should make a quick 5-10 song playlist of for you guys and see if they grab you.

Temples...Shelter Song

Liked the Phosphorescent record released this past year too.