Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Chargers announce move to LA

Their fans have been through a lot. : /

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 35m35 minutes ago

A stunner: Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday they are moving to LA, ending 55-year stint with SD, league sources tell ESPN.

"...But as one league source cautioned Wednesday night, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos had yet to send a formal relocation letter to the NFL, yet to notify public officials in Los Angeles or San Diego of the team's move, or even tell the members of the San Diego organization about his plans. The source insisted nothing is final...."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18455802/chargers-expected-announce-move-san-diego-los-angeles

I still wont believe it til the season starts

it can't be true

LA won't support 1 team, they didn't support 2 teams in the past.

hopefully the NFL steps in and throws another 200 mil at the stadium deal last minute

it can't be true

hopefully the NFL steps in and throws another 200 mil at the stadium deal last minute

I hope you're right.

I think it goes down.

I think it goes down.

Like a lead ballon. They must think the new stadium will solve everything, but those ticket prices will be through the roof.

When I was a Raider season ticket holder in LA, I'd sometimes go to a Rams game in Anaheim if a buddy had seats. But those organizations both had their own dedicated fan base. I can see bleed over, especially with both teams playing in the new crib.

But one thing is certain, and it's already been proven with the Rams, LA fans will not show for a loser. They may sell the tickets, but those fans won't come.

I agree.

Lots of empty seats.

I'm not excited about this move.

Looks like three NFL teams in two years will be moving.

Not to sure how the fans of these teams will react.

Just seems like a lack of loyalty to the fans.

Sorry Charger fans.

So, their 'plan' is to play at the 27,000 seat Stub Hub Center for the next two years. Somehow, I can't see Rivers going there. And what sort of new head coach will they be able to land, under those circumstances? The whole thing seems to be a hasty, half-assed mess - just like their new logo, which looks like it was commissioned from a middle school art class.

That logo is pitiful. I hope they keep the bolt on the Helmut. If they put that logo on there, ugh.

Like a lead ballon. They must think the new stadium will solve everything, but those ticket prices will be through the roof.

When I was a Raider season ticket holder in LA, I'd sometimes go to a Rams game in Anaheim if a buddy had seats. But those organizations both had their own dedicated fan base. I can see bleed over, especially with both teams playing in the new crib.

But one thing is certain, and it's already been proven with the Rams, LA fans will not show for a loser. They may sell the tickets, but those fans won't come.

They will get bad ratings, bad attendance, bad publicity, it's just a huge fail. San Diego is a football town and that greedy Fock should have put up a measly 200mil of his own money to get a stadium deal. He will now,learn the hard way LA doesn't give a rats azz.

Oh and when the Vegas raiders get situated you can kiss all of SoCal goodbye, everyone will be fans of that team.

Bill Plaschke is NOT a happy man:

We. Don’t. Want. You.

...The good news about the Chargers’ move is that nobody will have to spend much money on a welcome parade. It will be a short one. There will be one limo carrying Spanos and one Brink’s truck carrying his loot, both moving hurriedly up that freeway ahead of the muffled San Diego cries, all of Los Angeles peering briefly out the windows before closing their blinds.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

• Like 1

it can't be true

I hope so too, but I really dont see that happening. The amt they are throwing in already is a lot.

My sympathy goes out to all the Chargers Die Hards.

I mean, is The Murph that bad of a crib? I always thought it was a cool stadium, but then I'm used to the Oakland Coliseum.

Replacement team , do you think another team will move out to SD or is there news about the NFL adding new teams ?

Replacement team , do you think another team will move out to SD or is there news about the NFL adding new teams ?

I know nothing about another team moving to SD or the NFL expanding. But as a fan who had their team leave town I know it really sucks. Hoping they get a team is my way of wish them well.

• Like 1

I know nothing about another team moving to SD or the NFL expanding. But as a fan who had their team leave town I know it really sucks. Hoping they get a team is my way of wishing them well.

Well said.

Yeah I understand your point.

I was just wondering if there was news about another team moving to SD.

It would be great to see the Chargers play 7 home games in front of no one... with the 8th game versus the Raiders sold out in a sea of silver & black.

No-loyalty to Fans League

Can't the same be said about both the Rams and the Raiders?

Are they showing good loyalty to their fans ?

And how about the entire NFL with the games they keep taking away from the fans here to play them over seas , isn't that also showing poor loyalty to the fans of the NFL and to those fans that miss a home game?

Can't the same be said about both the Rams and the Raiders?

Are they showing good loyalty to their fans ?

And how about the entire NFL with the games they keep taking away from the fans here to play them over seas , isn't that also showing poor loyalty to the fans of the NFL and to those fans that miss a home game?

If you are asking me, re-read where I said No-loyalty to Fans LEAGUE.

Yeah you did.

I'm seeing a lot of bashing about this situation with the Chargers , and I'm wondering if others fell the same as you and I.

So I wasn't so much calling you out just asking in general how others also see the situation.

I think it's all b s and shows that sports in general have lost its loyalty to its fans, and being both an NFL fan and a fan of many sports, I find it sad but also the sign of things to come.

Thanks for the reply.

The spanos family is known for being total aholes so this isn't surprising. I still have NO idea why taxpayers anywhere would have to subsidize a privately owned team which is really just a business at the end of the day. Are you focking kidding me? Who started this? Do the taxpayers get a revenue share when the team makes money? Nope. So fock owners and their bull shiat.

This is just crazy.

• Like 1

Ok so now look at the Raiders moving to Vegas.

We the people that live in Nevada are paying for their new stadium also.

I for one am against bringing in the the Raiders and having to pay for their stadium that I don't receive anything from.

They have the money and should be paying for their own stadium.

They have the money and should be paying for their own stadium.

Actually, the Raiders don't have the kind of money that Dean Spanos does.

Still, I think the whole Vegas thing stinks. :(

From Ive been told they have backers who are invested.

And some of them are very very rich.

So they have the money to build their own football stadium.

But we the tax payers will pay for this new stadium.

And oh yea it was passed by vote, but the tax payers didn't have a vote.

Been some very interesting talk on the local sports shows about this whole issue, and surprisingly most tax payers are against this situation, the same one that was passed without the vote of the people that will flip the bill for this new age stadium.

We don't need more teams; if anything I would prefer they retract some teams. The product would become less diluted, and it would be even more money in the players pockets that "deserve" to be in the league.

• Like 1

A replacement team wont be moving to San Diego until a new stadium is built. The justification for allowing the Chargers to leave was the poor stadium. So even if the current stadium is(in reality) adequate, the NFL wont allow a team back in unless a new stadium is built or unless there are firm plans for a new stadium to be built in the near future.

to do otherwise would be like saying they allowed the team to leave due to a poor stadium, but that was truly a lie.

The NFL would never admit such a thing. at this point it is New stadium or bust for the City of San Diego.

Los Angles is not a football town.

They are Lakers, Dodgers, UCLA Basketball and USC Football

Rest of it is just entertainment fodder, when they are relevant for the beautiful people.

Though that stated, the Chargers are a more complete team than the Rams.

Rams did not have a team set to move. Lacking a QB, etc.

And they wasted too much in draft picks to get the QB they have.

Heh. From today:

Roger Goodell on what he'd say to crushed San Diego fans "We're hurting too." Actual quote

https://twitter.com/MartyCaswell/status/821871797993816065

Reading some of the responses above, you can sense the overwhelming love and high regard that folks hold for Goodell. :rolleyes:

"you can tell he's lying, his lips are moving..."