Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Whats your favorite Chinese food from your local dive?

I have to go with Chicken Lo Mein and a couple spring rolls.

Reheatable, cooked fast so I dont have to wait. Lots of odd vegetables and weird chicken shapes.

Fills you up but you dont feel like you drank from a grease bin.

There is a chicken with a sweet red sauce and pineapple here that I love. And beef with chilli peppers is awesome. I have no idea what they are actually called here.

I have learned that real Chinese food is either terrifyingly bland (noodles and rice) which makes up a good portion of my meals, or melt your face off spicy. Or just focking weird, like sheep testicles, stomach lining, chicken feet, etc.

There is nothing quite like watching your girlfriend scarf down a package of vacuum packed chicken feet from a gas station and then offering you one. "Um, hell no, and I ain't kissing you for a while either."

From a local dive? Panda Express has great fried honey orange glazed chicken and fried prawns. Not the healthiest but like the crunch factor.

• Like 1

I always order #2. I love hearing the waitress repeat "You want #2?"

Oh sh1t. :P

• Like 1

Orange chicken. Love how they actually gave it some spice. Too bad the place closed down a few months ago :(

dim sum, but there are many dishes i love.

chow fun

peking duck

ha gow- shrimp dumpling

char sui- bbq prk

There was a good chinese place we went to. We stopped after i swatted a cockroach off my leg and then had to swat a cockroach off my grandmas back a min later

swat a cockroach off my grandmas back

Is that what you kids are calling it today ? GILF.

I have never had this kind of food. We have a couple local ones, but they are constantly in the news for crazy shtt.

Here is the most recent one.

http://44news.wevv.com/raw-meat-hanging-at-evansville-restaurant/

A contractor working on a building nearby an Evansville restaurant noticed raw meat hanging out back.

He took some pictures, sent them to 44News, and we quickly alerted the health department.

Once the health inspector arrived, he checked out the meat hanging outside. He then went inside Teppanyaki Grill on Green River Road to figure out what was going on.

The owner of Teppanyaki Grill told the health inspector the meat marinating outside was for personal use.

He says it wasn’t an item on the menu that would be served in the restaurant.

As instructed by the health inspector, the meat was taken down right away and driven home.

The restaurant is not being cited by the health department.

There is a pic at the link of this too. No focking way in hell I would eat that shtt. I always thought of meat in some kind of sauce in a refrigerator when I think of it being marinated, not hanging outside on the focking gas pipes/meters.

I use to run a pizza joint and we traded other restaurants all the time. I would give them a large pizza of their choice for about every 5 bucks worth of food they would give us in return. My employees LOVED me because I did this at least once a week for years as a bonus/benefit. It would give everyone a chance to try some food without paying for it in case it sucked or give folks a chance to get their favorite foods for free. I knew how to treat folks, my employees.

Subway and Arby's was the most popular for my employees. I ran a Mazzio's Pizza, in case someone was wondering which pizza joint I ran.

We did it with damn near all the restaurants in town. I would call them and ask them if they wanted to trade some food and most were very surprised because they had never heard of anything like this. After a doing this for a few months, they started calling me to ask if we wanted to trade once in a while. We had a Subway right behind us and they would call us once a week once I started this. Any large pizza they wanted for each foot long sub. :D

ONCE, we did it with the local Chinese food restaurant. We received the food, along with bugs, roaches, both dead an alive. So I just threw all of it out and we never traded with them again. Not sure how this place stayed in business.

Is that what you kids are calling it today ? GILF.

Last time I was in China Town in New York Ciry we went to Woo-Hop. Off the beaten path and some of the best Chinese food I ever had.

• Like 1

dim sum, but there are many dishes i love.

chow fun

peking duck

ha gow- shrimp dumpling

char sui- bbq prk

Never had dim sum until one of the Chinese places around here started offering it. It's prett dam good and I fell in love with eating it and having some tea

[edjr] Cream Uv Sum Yung Guy [edjr/]

My ghey friend Scott was our first friend to get a hot tub back in the 90's. He would wait until we were all drunk in the hot tub and say this. Scott: It rises to the top faboulsly. Me: :mad:

I have never had this kind of food. We have a couple local ones, but they are constantly in the news for crazy shtt.

There is a pic at the link of this too. No focking way in hell I would eat that shtt. I always thought of meat in some kind of sauce in a refrigerator when I think of it being marinated, not hanging outside on the focking gas pipes/meters.

I use to run a pizza joint and we traded other restaurants all the time. I would give them a large pizza of their choice for about every 5 bucks worth of food they would give us in return. My employees LOVED me because I did this at least once a week for years as a bonus/benefit. It would give everyone a chance to try some food without paying for it in case it sucked or give folks a chance to get their favorite foods for free. I knew how to treat folks, my employees.

Subway and Arby's was the most popular for my employees. I ran a Mazzio's Pizza, in case someone was wondering which pizza joint I ran.

We did it with damn near all the restaurants in town. I would call them and ask them if they wanted to trade some food and most were very surprised because they had never heard of anything like this. After a doing this for a few months, they started calling me to ask if we wanted to trade once in a while. We had a Subway right behind us and they would call us once a week once I started this. Any large pizza they wanted for each foot long sub. :D

ONCE, we did it with the local Chinese food restaurant. We received the food, along with bugs, roaches, both dead an alive. So I just threw all of it out and we never traded with them again. Not sure how this place stayed in business.

It really skeeves me out how nothing is refrigerated here. Meat especially. There is just a side of meat or a whole butchered pig hanging from a hook in the store.

They told us in orientation...

1. Never eat meat you paid less than ¥10 for.

2. It is not if you get food poisoning.... It is when and how bad.

I eat a LOT less meat here as a result. When I do, it is when I know it is deep fried.

I went to a "market" once with the girlfriend to buy dinner for her family once. And by "market" I really mean "large tent in a gravel parking lot." We bought an already cooked whole duck and chicken for like $20. They were just sitting out in bowls. Already cooked. No heat lamp or packaging of any kind.

I carefully watched her mother cook it again. Made damn sure it was heated out of the "danger zone" to kill anything before I ate it.

It's amazing that they don't die from this sh!t.

My brother is a health inspector. He says Chinese places are the worst, and when you finally shut them down, they just reopen the next week with a new name and a different owner (same family) and you just start over.

Teppanyaki is Japanese.

My favorite Chinese dish from the local is Moo Shu Pork. Basically a Chinese burrito with plum sauce.

Teppanyaki is Japanese.

My favorite Chinese dish from the local is Moo Shu Pork. Basically a Chinese burrito with plum sauce.

Try the burrito thing with Peking duck instead of pork.

It really skeeves me out how nothing is refrigerated here. Meat especially. There is just a side of meat or a whole butchered pig hanging from a hook in the store.

They told us in orientation...

1. Never eat meat you paid less than ¥10 for.

2. It is not if you get food poisoning.... It is when and how bad.

I eat a LOT less meat here as a result. When I do, it is when I know it is deep fried.

I went to a "market" once with the girlfriend to buy dinner for her family once. And by "market" I really mean "large tent in a gravel parking lot." We bought an already cooked whole duck and chicken for like $20. They were just sitting out in bowls. Already cooked. No heat lamp or packaging of any kind.

I carefully watched her mother cook it again. Made damn sure it was heated out of the "danger zone" to kill anything before I ate it.

It's amazing that they don't die from this sh!t.

My brother is a health inspector. He says Chinese places are the worst, and when you finally shut them down, they just reopen the next week with a new name and a different owner (same family) and you just start over.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh damn, that is crazy how they don't all die from all that crap.

My wife's family is Chinese, but to be honest even they like american Chinese food better than traditional Chinese food with the exception of the new years tradition dish, pork belly bao.

If you have never had it, I would suggest trying it. It is the Chinese equivalent to prime rib or thanksgiving turkey.

I don't know how much traditional Chinese food compares with traditional Korean food, but when my dad was in Seoul for 2 years as the head engineer on a large rail system there, he couldn't stomach anything. I was sending him supplies from here so he could cook up good food there. I think asain food is the only one where traditional is ew. Otherwise I do enjoy american versions of asian food.

I don't know how much traditional Chinese food compares with traditional Korean food, but when my dad was in Seoul for 2 years as the head engineer on a large rail system there, he couldn't stomach anything. I was sending him supplies from here so he could cook up good food there. I think asain food is the only one where traditional is ew. Otherwise I do enjoy american versions of asian food.

Good Chinese food is wonderful. You go to a decent place and drop $10, you can have a very good meal.

It's the 1-2 street vendors where you get in trouble, although there is good stuff there too.

My main complaint is lack of variety. It's pretty much all the same sh!t. Noodles or rice with veggies and meat. Sure there are 1,000 varieties, but still...

Honestly all Chinese food is pretty bad. None of it holds a candle to thai or Vietnamese food.

This.

Gedn Tso's or Sesame Chicken

I love most of it, but my fave believe it or not is a huge portion of pickled ginger

tempura veggies

coconut shrimp

teriaki chicken

anything fried ( minus dog / cat, etc. ) also not a sushi guy

We go to Donna Chang's ;)

Vegetarian egg rolls

Potstickers

Chicken pan-fried noodles, only chicken and broccoli

I've been ordering this for nearly 20 years. All I have to do is call up and say "Hey, it's Frank" and they say "Be ready in 20 minutes!".

:thumbsup:

All I have to do is call up and say "Hey, it's Frank" and they say "Be leady in 20 minute!".

:thumbsup:

Fixed

• Like 1

I'm curious about the whole New York Chinese food is better than _______. Must be something with the water like pizza and bagels. I've seen a few places that advertise something along the lines of authentic NY Chinese food. Anybody ever heard or thought this?

Honestly all Chinese food is pretty bad. None of it holds a candle to thai or Vietnamese food.

That is a fairly innacurate generalization. i happen to enjoy all regional asian cuisine and good chinese can easily take on the others. I would say that one would have a higher probability of having a mediocre to bad chinese experince vs thai, etc, but mostly due to volume (there are so many more chinese restaurants than the others).

I'm curious about the whole New York Chinese food is better than _______. Must be something with the water like pizza and bagels. I've seen a few places that advertise something along the lines of authentic NY Chinese food. Anybody ever heard or thought this?

As someone from San Francisco with both parents from New York, I have experienced a decent amount of each (an really enjoy them). I's not the water, but the region of origin from the chinese emmigrants . i saw a strong cantonese contingent in NY. i have seen a little of everything in SF: most preminent is mandarin, then a mix of cantonese, hunan, schezuan, hakkan, monoglian. West vs East= they each do some things differently but good is good.

I love most of it, but my fave believe it or not is a huge portion of pickled ginger

tempura veggies

coconut shrimp

teriaki chicken

anything fried ( minus dog / cat, etc. ) also not a sushi guy

We go to Donna Chang's ;)

Teriyaki is Japanese. Te-ri-ya-ki. Sushi is Japanese too. American Chinese is not a regional cuisine. You can go to Chinatown and eat real Chinese food but id rather eat our bastardization

• Like 1

Teriyaki is Japanese. Te-ri-ya-ki. Sushi is Japanese too. American Chinese is not a regional cuisine. You can go to Chinatown and eat real Chinese food but id rather eat our bastardization

Yes, the local one here advertises Chinese though, along with other Asian dishes.

American Chinese is not a regional cuisine. You can go to Chinatown and eat real Chinese food but id rather eat our bastardization

American chinese has regional influence.