Sign in to follow this  
BufordT

Nike is Bowing Out of the Golf Equipment Business

:thumbsup:

I'm fine with Texas, I've been to Dallas once.

Seems to be good courses and you and cruzer are already there. I'll talk to my people about getting cruzer a couple day passes to cross the border and come up and meet us

just when it's not crazy hot

Fock Texas. Las Vegas or Bust!

To quote the immortal Ray Charles "..if they take me back to Texas, they won't take me back alive......"

I think most went through that phase of skulling wedges. That's when you learn the bump and run with an 8 iron. It's (almost) impossible to skull it or hit it fat..... And it's much more consistent and accurate than a full 150 yard 6 iron.

only time I hit that shot is if i'm trying to stay under a tree branch

To quote the immortal Ray Charles "..if they take me back to Texas, they won't take me back alive......"

fine. do some leg work and you can count me in.

18 one day, 36 the next and 18 the next?

don't care where I stay, ill stay at circus circus (outside) if the price is right

I can assure you, there is wind in other states too. especially up where I play on the ocean.

Annual Average Wind Speed in US Cities

Austin, Texas 8.5

Boston, Massachusetts 12.3

Matter of fact, Boston is the highest on the list.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/wind-speed-city-annual.php

Surely you've heard golf pros say "Don't swing harder, swing faster", and I assume you know the difference?.......Well, you are dealing with a pusssy lib fast wind. In Texas, we play in rugged and tough hard wind. Big difference. Cruzer has my back.

Surely you've heard golf pros say "Don't swing harder, swing faster", and I assume you know the difference?.......Well, you are dealing with a pusssy lib fast wind. In Texas, we play in rugged and tough hard wind. Big difference. Cruzer has my back.

haha :lol: well played.

no matter what the distance.

10 yard to 100, I use varying speeds of my gap wedge.

you're so wrong.

I can skull a 50 yard shot 50 yards over the green, I am very unlikely to skull a full gap wedge, so it either goes short (fat) left or right.

I am the best at the world at being less than 100 after a drive and ending up with a 6

I went through a phase when I carried 4 wedges because I thought I could dial in all those 100 yd or less shots if only I had the perfect equipment.

I eventually lost the gap wedge on a course in Vegas and nobody turned it in.

Playing without it has made exactly zero difference in my game.

I think most went through that phase of skulling wedges. That's when you learn the bump and run with an 8 iron. It's (almost) impossible to skull it or hit it fat..... And it's much more consistent and accurate than a full 150 yard 6 iron.

I still love the bump and run 8 iron in the right situation.

only time I hit that shot is if i'm trying to stay under a tree branch

I still love the bump and run 8 iron in the right situation.

I don't use it much anymore unless it's ridiculously windy. But that's because I feel good with my wedges from any yardage inside of 100.

But I recall the transition period where over the course of a year or two I went from shooting 110's to shooting in the low 90's, and it was pretty much my stock shot inside of 80 yards. Obviously I wasn't as accurate with that play as I feel I am with a 56 degree now, but I'd almost always bump that 8 iron onto the green. Whereas back then, my wedge was 50/50 with the bad half being chunked 8 yards or skulled 145 yards. 8 iron bump and run. It was a godsend.

I don't use it much anymore unless it's ridiculously windy. But that's because I feel good with my wedges from any yardage inside of 100.

But I recall the transition period where over the course of a year or two I went from shooting 110's to shooting in the low 90's, and it was pretty much my stock shot inside of 80 yards. Obviously I wasn't as accurate with that play as I feel I am with a 56 degree now, but I'd almost always bump that 8 iron onto the green. Whereas back then, my wedge was 50/50 with the bad half being chunked 8 yards or skulled 145 yards. 8 iron bump and run. It was a godsend.

I shot an 81 last weekend from the Blues at a course known for placement not power. I even showed cruzer the score card.

granted, that was my best ever by probably 7 strokes, but I just happened to putt out of my mind. 27 putts with a chip in. I came back down to earth monday with my putting

I rarely use it from that far out. I tend to pull it out near the green when I've got a decent amount of smooth fairway between me and the green and the flag is tucked way back.

You're an 11 based on the adjustment for being Geek Cup Champion. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I usually shoot in the mid to high 80s at our course. It's pretty short (around 6,400 yards from the blues). But not exactly the simplest test ever, really small greens and it's always breezy there. And this time of year really sucks at the place, they don't water anywhere but the tees and greens which don't hold. It's guessing golf for the most part.

I shot an 81 last weekend from the Blues at a course known for placement not power. I even showed cruzer the score card.

granted, that was my best ever by probably 7 strokes, but I just happened to putt out of my mind. 27 putts with a chip in. I came back down to earth monday with my putting

nice, first time i ever broke 80 at my home course i shot a 72... My HCP is a 9, but i am have wild variance... Ironically having alot of variance is better for your handicap than consistency because it just takes the top scores and ignores the rest. The whole handicap system is a sham

nice, first time i ever broke 80 at my home course i shot a 72... My HCP is a 9, but i am have wild variance... Ironically having alot of variance is better for your handicap than consistency because it just takes the top scores and ignores the rest. The whole handicap system is a sham

I consider myself a bogey golfer, so an 18 seems good with me.

for me to go 18 holes and only get 1 double is a miracle.

I consider myself a bogey golfer, so an 18 seems good with me.

for me to go 18 holes and only get 1 double is a miracle.

It also depends on the slope of your course.. The two i play at most are a slope 132, and 130, so they are a bit harder than average. If you were a bogey golfer there you'd be a 15-16 HCP...

edit: thats solid golf..

It also depends on the slope of your course.. The two i play at most are a slope 132, and 130, so they are a bit harder than average. If you were a bogey golfer there you'd be a 15-16 HCP...

edit: thats solid golf..

https://daks2k3a4ib2z.cloudfront.net/56df4ba7d7e9fac44bb654eb/578406d09e1627a433eb60d2_Screen%20Shot%202016-06-29%20at%201.34.11%20PM.png

played the blues/white 70.4 123 no idea what that means

Slope Rating®: A Slope Rating is the USGA® mark that indicates the measurement of the relative playing difficulty of a course for players who are not scratch golfers, compared to scratch golfers. It is computed from the difference between the Bogey Rating and the USGA Course Rating times a constant factor and is expressed as a whole number from 55 to 155.

USGA Course Rating: A USGA Course Rating is the evaluation of the playing difficulty of a course for scratch golfers under normal course and weather conditions. It is expressed as the number of strokes taken to one decimal place (72.5), and is based on yardage and other obstacles to the extent that they affect the scoring difficulty of the scratch golfer.

There will be one Course Slope for each Course Rating. The blue men's tees might have a Course Slope of 123. The white men's tees: 119 and the men's red tees perhaps a 114.

This is why I try and avoid these wormholes.....I've been looking at this chart for awhile now. Golf ball compression rates, etc...Ugh

http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_070914_v11.14.pdf

Looks like ProV1x has a compression rating of 103ish, and a cover hardness of 79.

Normal Pro V1 compression is 95 with a cover hardness of 79.....So the normal ProV1 seems like a no brainer with my slower swing speed.

ZStar compression is about 95, but a harder cover of 83.

The ZStar SL is lower compression of 86 with a softer cover of 81.

Bridgestone has the most customized options it seems. Now I'm swimming. I want low compression for ease of distance, but I want as much spin and control around the greens as possible. How much difference am I looking at here based on ratings?

I went through a phase when I carried 4 wedges because I thought I could dial in all those 100 yd or less shots if only I had the perfect equipment.

I eventually lost the gap wedge on a course in Vegas and nobody turned it in.

Playing without it has made exactly zero difference in my game.

I have 3 now but had 4 for quite a while. But it wasnt to hit distances. It was more for different shots around the green.

Distance wise I always take a 3/4 wedge or less. I will hit a 52 or a 56 from distance but I would not use my lob wedge for anything other than chip/pitch shots. No need for it.

Wedges are probably the most fun clubs to hit in golf in my opinion and probably the strongest part of my game. Mid irons 7-5 being my worst.

This is why I try and avoid these wormholes.....I've been looking at this chart for awhile now. Golf ball compression rates, etc...Ugh

http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_070914_v11.14.pdf

Looks like ProV1x has a compression rating of 103ish, and a cover hardness of 79.

Normal Pro V1 compression is 95 with a cover hardness of 79.....So the normal ProV1 seems like a no brainer with my slower swing speed.

ZStar compression is about 95, but a harder cover of 83.

The ZStar SL is lower compression of 86 with a softer cover of 81.

Bridgestone has the most customized options it seems. Now I'm swimming. I want low compression for ease of distance, but I want as much spin and control around the greens as possible. How much difference am I looking at here based on ratings?

This is an older chart - the new Z-Stars are 90 compression now.

Don't get too caught up in the science part of it. The balls here are comparable enough that it will come down to a matter of look and feel... And (imo) you will like the Srixon Z-Star more, I know I do.

Drobeski, are you flying to texas/vegas with me to play in the 1st ever geek golf outing?

Taylor project a balls were so so. Not as long as pro v, almost as soft but not quite.

Shot 86. Two birdies...five focking doubles. Bunch of three putts and a tee shot in the water on a par 3 over it.

This is an older chart - the new Z-Stars are 90 compression now.

Don't get too caught up in the science part of it. The balls here are comparable enough that it will come down to a matter of look and feel... And (imo) you will like the Srixon Z-Star more, I know I do.

Dicks has a sale though tomorrow on Z-Star. A dozen still $45, but two dozen is $60. I went ahead and grabbed 2 dozen, cuz sales and stuff work on me..... So they will get an extended audition.

Dicks has a sale though tomorrow on Z-Star. A dozen still $45, but two dozen is $60. I went ahead and grabbed 2 dozen, cuz sales and stuff work on me..... So they will get an extended audition.

Before you even hit one... If you have a new Pro V - compare the two. You will 1, notice immediately how brighter and more white they are and 2, that they feel softer.

Before you even hit one... If you have a new Pro V - compare the two. You will 1, notice immediately how brighter and more white they are and 2, that they feel softer.

The brightness doesn't seem to get me as excited as it does you. Maybe because I'm already white. But yeah, anytime my tee shot is near someone else's, I've always been able to identify mine as the dull one.

And it feels softer. One of the reviews said to take 2 Z's and run them together and you can feel the grab.

We shall see.

There comes a point where a ball is soft enough around the green for me that anot her ball being softer is not going to get me to switch. At that point it's about distance off the tee.

How does the z star compare distance wise to the pro v (project a failed miserably).

I'm not adverse to changing but it's been a while since I played a z star. I remember liking them but not as much as pro v

Sugar Tree today. Shot an 84. I didn't feel comfortable with the driver today, and lost 4 or 5 balls. But as far as Z Star goes....

It definitely felt softer off the club face than the ProV1x. That created a feeling of not thinking I'd caught it, but I didn't seem to lose any distance. I actually may have gained some with my irons, but I'll need more info to be sure.

I did love the wedge control. Really, with all my irons I was getting higher flight and the ball was just digging in like a dart.

Where I struggled with the Z Star was with my putting. I had three 3 putts, which is unlike me. And I was consistently leaving mid range putts just a few inches short. The ball just wasn't coming off the face the same way. But all in all I am pleased. Playing Champions Circle next weekend.

Sugar Tree today. Shot an 84. I didn't feel comfortable with the driver today, and lost 4 or 5 balls. But as far as Z Star goes....

It definitely felt softer off the club face than the ProV1x. That created a feeling of not thinking I'd caught it, but I didn't seem to lose any distance. I actually may have gained some with my irons, but I'll need more info to be sure.

I did love the wedge control. Really, with all my irons I was getting higher flight and the ball was just digging in like a dart.

Where I struggled with the Z Star was with my putting. I had three 3 putts, which is unlike me. And I was consistently leaving mid range putts just a few inches short. The ball just wasn't coming off the face the same way. But all in all I am pleased. Playing Champions Circle next weekend.

sure you did

You prolly did hit your irons further - that's from it staying airborne longer, result of the lower compression and higher spin... But I hear ya on the putter response. The knock on the Z-Star is the putter hit. I personally love the soft feel bcoz the greens I normally play are rather quick..... What was your thoughts on its durability?

There comes a point where a ball is soft enough around the green for me that anot her ball being softer is not going to get me to switch. At that point it's about distance off the tee.

How does the z star compare distance wise to the pro v (project a failed miserably).p

I've found the Z-Star longer than the Pro V... I've found the Z-Star xv to be maybe a couple yards shorter than the Pro V x1 - but considerably softer and better around the greens.... Of course I don't swing it 105 mph so I'm not capable of compressing and hitting those balls as they're designed to be hit.

You prolly did hit your irons further - that's from it staying airborne longer, result of the lower compression and higher spin... But I hear ya on the putter response. Th knock on the Z-Star is the putter hit. I personally love the soft feel bcoz the greens I normally play are rather quick..... What was your thoughts on its durability?

Thinking through the round, I do believe I was hitting my irons further for the reasons you mentioned. I hit 3-4 short irons that felt like they'd be short based on the strike, yet the still ended up pin high. And I can think of two 9 irons that I flushed and they actually flew about 10 yards further than normal.

Hopefully I can find some rhythm with the putter. Obviously that's the most important club in the bag, so I'll have to.

But regardless, I offer a thanks for opening my eyes to the fact I don't need to be hitting a high compression ball. It's one of those things I knew, but until the last 3-4 months, it had been a few years since I'd even checked my swing speed with a monitor.

I am down with Vegas. I am playing Cascata Sept. 15th.

And fock Michigan the only State more retarded is Minnesota.

I've not played a lot in Vegas... But I have played Angel Park, Palm Valley, Siena and Rhodes Ranch.

Reading this thread really makes me want to grab some Z stars and get real philosophical

Reading this thread really makes me want to grab some Z stars and get real philosophical

It's like a Zen man - once you're in, it's total peace and harmony.