Sign in to follow this  
Law

Skill to get to the playoffs, luck to win them

I always say this and I stand by it.

4 leagues.

1 a dumpster fire. 2nd in points scored, but the most points against by a huge margin. 5-8 and sitting home.

2 as the #1 seed and with most points scored in both. Gonna go 1 and 1 in these. In the 1 I will lose, Olsen scored 4, 2, and 2 in his games this year. 29 today.

In the 4th league, I was the #2 seed with the most points scored. Gonna lose there by epic proportions as my opponent played Newton, Gordon, Drake, Engram, CJ Anderson, Sheppard, and M Thomas.

Play all season to get to the playoffs, only to be dashed by circumstance and the Gods of Luck!

Anyone who understands variables and simple logic should agree, but most wont (unless they lost this year of course).

Im currently out of my leagues. Meanwhile Im watching my brother go to back to back finals with teams I drafted for him. He doesnt know Tom Brady from Marsha Brady. Couldnt tell a first down from a down comforter. Yet his league considers him a FF mastermind...The guy has played FF for half a decade and still doesnt know how waivers work...has at least 3 top 2 finishes...

Theres a guy in the semifinal who held Rodgers all year just to bench him when hes medically cleared. Also benched Tyreek Hill, a top 3 wr, for Funchess AND Lee. Hes supposed to be good at FF.

EDIT: As I speak, in my one league I made playoffs I have AB and was cruising to victory. He just maybe broke his leg. Has never been hurt before...guess Im bad at FF, shouldnt have started AB.

Agreed, it's BS. Sometimes I wish I'd get some $$$ just for making the dang playoffs. Might go 0/3 on my opening playoff weekend despite finish with the 1 seed, 1 seed, and 4 seed.

Bleh.

Agreed, it's BS. Sometimes I wish I'd get some $$$ just for making the dang playoffs. Might go 0/3 on my opening playoff weekend despite finish with the 1 seed, 1 seed, and 4 seed.

Bleh.

Last year the top 4 we all negotiated a pot split to get 4th place their money back.
  • Like 1

Heres my fockin roster.

BradyTraded for

BaldwinDrafted

TateDrafted

MccoyDrafted

HuntDrafted

ErtzDrafted

LutzDrafted

Im going to get my ever loving brains beat in...in the playoffs by:

BortlesWaivers this week

DrakeWaivers two weeks ago

EbronWaivers this week

GouldWaivers this week

RedskinsWaivers this week

CooksDrafted

Thats fockin unreal to me.....We have 6 bench spots. More seems silly...but also seems like a bunch of crap you can just grab guys off waivers who are comparable to early round drafted guys.

Like This

Getting spanked by a Gurley-man.....and I ain't into that sort stuff!

Getting spanked by a Gurley-man.....and I ain't into that sort stuff!

You are supposed to say "thank you maam, may I have another". Then release Tonya Harding on him at halftime.

Finished the season 12-1

Thought I had it in the bag in the afternoon with Wilson, AB, Burkhead, and Mike Davis

Then Gurley goes off, Wilson craps himself and AB is done

4 TDs by Gurley now.

If they trot him out there again its bad coaching. Games well over, an injury would be catastrophic.

If they trot him out there again its bad coaching. Games well over, an injury would be catastrophic.

He's already had a career day, finishing my season. But for good measure, they'll keep him in to get the all time TD record

Gotta plan for the playoffs for matchups and player trends.

Obviously #1 priority is to make it, but you have to look ahead and plan and this is what brings skill to the playoffs. There is no more or less luck involved.

Oh I'm been lucky today.

It's a good ff day.

Thank you Hunt and mr Shepherd.

No skill was used too start our too even pick up those players.

Merry Christmas.

God bless.

What?

He literally flipped a coin when he picked them up off waivers. And he sets his lineup every week with a coin flip. It's a Christmas Miracle.

He literally flipped a coin when he picked them up off waivers. And he sets his lineup every week with a coin flip. It's a Christmas Miracle.

I'm starting to lose track if he is trying to be sarcastic, or funny, or sincere, or contradictory, or if he is just naturally being a bit strange.

Theres skill involved for sure in season-long fantasy football. Still,there is no denying that dumb luck is the nfl ref of fantasy football..it shows up just enough to be noticeable and annoying. Injuries alone make it so. Ask any Antonio Brown owner right now.

And weekly one-matchup head to head is silly. Always has been. Its a hotbed of randomized injustice. Bad weeks win. Good weeks lose. 50/50 is far better even though random football things still happen so theres still some luck to consider. But the luck skews to the middle of the pack and is much easier to stomach most weeks. Elite and terrible performances get slotted appropriately every week. Its the future, folks.

Theres skill involved for sure in season-long fantasy football. Still,there is no denying that dumb luck is the nfl ref of fantasy football..it shows up just enough to be noticeable and annoying. Injuries alone make it so. Ask any Antonio Brown owner right now.

And weekly one-matchup head to head is silly. Always has been. Its a hotbed of randomized injustice. Bad weeks win. Good weeks lose. 50/50 is far better even though random football things still happen so theres still some luck to consider. But the luck skews to the middle of the pack and is much easier to stomach most weeks. Elite and terrible performances get slotted appropriately every week. Its the future, folks.

Unless you like and enjoy head to head. In which case, keep on playing it :)

I always say this and I stand by it.

4 leagues.

1 a dumpster fire. 2nd in points scored, but the most points against by a huge margin. 5-8 and sitting home.

2 as the #1 seed and with most points scored in both. Gonna go 1 and 1 in these. In the 1 I will lose, Olsen scored 4, 2, and 2 in his games this year. 29 today.

In the 4th league, I was the #2 seed with the most points scored. Gonna lose there by epic proportions as my opponent played Newton, Gordon, Drake, Engram, CJ Anderson, Sheppard, and M Thomas.

Play all season to get to the playoffs, only to be dashed by circumstance and the Gods of Luck!

I agree whole heartily with this statement. Damn i get so stressed during the playoffs. Work you rear end off to make good decisions to get you into position to win a Championship. Over the course of the season you have bad luck, but feel like skill will typically rise the better fantasy players into the title race. Then you get into the playoffs and your at the mercy of lady luck. Fortunately for me the stroke of misfortune of losing AB today was dwarfed by having Gurley apparently wearing a cloak of invisibility against the Hawks.

I'll join in the epic meltdown club. Went 12-2 in the season scored over 2000 pts in a deep 12 team redraft league avgd 140pts a week over the season, got the first week playoff bye and scored 160pts, today week 15 scored..........64 with Russ Wilson, burkhead, AB, theilen, funchess, Rudolph and saints D, they were my core all year as I lost Elliot to suspension, Coleman to concussion, so had to roll out what I thought would be a good rb play in Mike Davis. I'm still trying to figure out how this happened.

Lamb of God....almost exact same was 12-1

Had Wilson, AB, Hopkins, Kamara, Mixon, Burkhead, and rolled all year

Best regular season in our leagues history and was sitting pretty until the afternoon when Todd Gurley turns into superman against me and Wilson craps the bed and I lose both AB and Burkhead

Only thing I can say is even with leaving Goodwin on the bench it wouldn't have mattered

Unless you like and enjoy head to head. In which case, keep on playing it :)[/quote

Im sure many will keep on keeping on with it. But Im fighting the good fight and trying to rescue folks from undue heartache in a game that already has lots of luck build in without losing a week in a league while someone with 30 less points gets a win because of luck of the matchup draw.

Many of you should just join, change, or start a league that you like instead of complaining about luck and other garbage factors or rules that pertain to the leagues you are in now.

That's all.

Unless you like and enjoy head to head. In which case, keep on playing it :)[/quote

Im sure many will keep on keeping on with it. But Im fighting the good fight and trying to rescue folks from undue heartache in a game that already has lots of luck build in without losing a week in a league while someone with 30 less points gets a win because of luck of the matchup draw.

So you're trying to save a lot of people from something they enjoy in part because of the feature you're describing? :)

So you're trying to save a lot of people from something they enjoy in part because of the feature you're describing? :)

I hear lots of points against-related complaints. Thats who Im trying to look out for. Some folks like the uncertainty the points against stuff brings to a season. Dilly dilly to them and you as well if you fall into that group of folks.

But Im somewhat clear that several folks who play fantasy want the best teams who score more points in a week to win. Head to head doesnt assure that unless youre #1 in a week. A 50/50 setup, which is part of season-long fantasys future whether folks see it yet or not, does. 50/50 is coming for the folks who want it. Its totally fine if some dont. But it is going to be a conversation to have for those who are tired of that part of season-long fantasy. It just is. Itll be like another version of ppr vs non-ppr. And therell be a divide with folks on both sides of the discussion. And leagues will have to figure out what their owners want to do.

I tried weekly 50/50 this year and never want to play a random one on one matchup head to head season again because I enjoyed 50/50 much more. Others will join in. Some wont. Hopefully well all find a way to keep having fun with this silly game we play!

I hear lots of points against-related complaints. Thats who Im trying to look out for. Some folks like the uncertainty the points against stuff brings to a season. Dilly dilly to them and you as well if you fall into that group of folks.

But Im somewhat clear that several folks who play fantasy want the best teams who score more points in a week to win. Head to head doesnt assure that unless youre #1 in a week. A 50/50 setup, which is part of season-long fantasys future whether folks see it yet or not, does. 50/50 is coming for the folks who want it. Its totally fine if some dont. But it is going to be a conversation to have for those who are tired of that part of season-long fantasy. It just is. Itll be like another version of ppr vs non-ppr. And therell be a divide with folks on both sides of the discussion. And leagues will have to figure out what their owners want to do.

I tried weekly 50/50 this year and never want to play a random one on one matchup head to head season again because I enjoyed 50/50 much more. Others will join in. Some wont. Hopefully well all find a way to keep having fun with this silly game we play!

I agree, if people aren't enjoying it, they should find some other way to play. Different format, daily, whatever. But none of them are 'better' than any other. They just appeal to different preferences. :)

Why not play 2 games a week if that is desired? One H2H and one 50/50. That is what my league does and we all love it. Noone complains.

Or why doesn't everyone just figure out what like and do that?

How is this so hard for 2 to 16 people to get together and enjoy what they want to be the rules? Actually, I don't care if it is a one person league playing multiple teams, just do it and stop complaining.

Best team in my 14 team league just lost.

He was 12-1 plus number one in points scored.

And now he's out for the next round.

Nothing but luck.

And that's nothing more then,,,, bad luck.

Nothing but luck.

I have seen #1 seeds in real football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc. lose in the first round. How is that luck?

Maybe they just didn't prepare well enough most likely.

But there is one simple question you can never answer when I ask it.

Since you think all of FF is pure luck no matter what, why do you offer up advice in many threads on this site? In fact, you told me I should play Evans over Gordon this week. Why?

Anyway, it's always fun to call you out on your comments. Although, I am starting to think you are only about 12 years old, so I'm thinking of letting up a bit.

Nothing but luck.

Funny, best two teams in two of my three leagues made the final game. Totally skill there.

I'm glad I play in leagues where skill is actually important. I'd hate to be in those coin toss leagues.

Lol

Guy has 103 points by guys he got off waivers within the last 3 weeks.

Still has Evans and Julio. Cooks got him 12..naturally.

Unreal.

Skill to get to the playoffs, luck to win them

This is the case each year, which makes my goal to make the playoffs and see what happens

I think it does take active ownership, working the ww, and adjusting your lineups to make the playoffs in a competitive league, especially if you didn't have the best draft.

That said, a bad draft really can't be fixed through the ww. if you miss on all of your early rounders, you're done for certain, so from that aspect, I say FF has a lot of skill. Getting to the playoffs requires skill. Having your players come through on any given Sunday in the playoffs is mostly luck.