Sign in to follow this  
Law

Skill to get to the playoffs, luck to win them

Can someone quickly summarize 50/50 for me? As a commish I am always open to new ideas.

I may be wrong but I think it means that if you are in a 12 team league, then each week the 6 highest team scores win and the others lose.

In my league, we play 2 games a week, 1 against a league opponent (H2H), and 1 against league team average for that week. If you play against average, it's not always 50/50. it could be 40/60 or vice versa.

So instead of 14 games per regular season, we have 28. it is very effective in evening out the good teams vs. the not so good teams over the regular season. Many people complain for example that they have 2nd highest points in the league but are in 7th place because of bad unlucky matchups that have happened. So depending on what side of the fence you are on in terms of what you determine is the best team, then this type of format is good for you or maybe not so good.

I may be wrong but I think it means that if you are in a 12 team league, then each week the 6 highest team scores win and the others lose.

In my league, we play 2 games a week, 1 against a league opponent (H2H), and 1 against league team average for that week. If you play against average, it's not always 50/50. it could be 40/60 or vice versa.

So instead of 14 games per regular season, we have 28. it is very effective in evening out the good teams vs. the not so good teams over the regular season. Many people complain for example that they have 2nd highest points in the league but are in 7th place because of bad unlucky matchups that have happened. So depending on what side of the fence you are on in terms of what you determine is the best team, then this type of format is good for you or maybe not so good.

Interesting concept, I've never heard of this format before!

It sounds cool....but, as frustrating as HTH can be I like that format you feel like you're actually playing against someone.

I play in a league where you get 1 win for H2H and 1 for top six in scoring. It's by far the best way of doing it. You can always make a case that the 7th team is better than a playoff team, but we have yet to have a situation where a clear top team was left out. This past year I finished in 4th place, yet had the most total points by over 100, best breakdown record by a long shot, but a .500 H2H record. Our 6th place team had the second most total points and the second best breakdown, but a .500 H2H record. One or both would have missed the playoffs if we were based strictly on H2H.

in pure head to head, yes..more luck is involved in the playoffs due to sample size. during the season we have 13-14 games to overcome a loss or low week. in the playoffs, we are typically done on a low week (or high week by opponent).

this week for my ffpc team i had to sit fournette, lost brown, lee, adams, and djax (though did not start him). this has little to do with ff acumen. some people like playing "best ball" for this reason.

It's fantasy football guys, you can't control the outcomes and there is no guarantee that the supposed "best" team wins, just like real sports.

Sometimes the "best" team loses the Super Bowl.

Of course there is some luck involved. No guarantees you won't fall victim to injuries or fluke weeks.

Like elsewhere in life, you create a good portion of your own luck.

It takes a brilliant combination of drafting, trades, waiver pick ups, and playing match ups/reading hot streaks, to win.

It's not easy beating your entire league, only one person can do it.

Interesting concept, I've never heard of this format before!

It sounds cool....but, as frustrating as HTH can be I like that format you feel like you're actually playing against someone.

Yep. Whatever the league likes best. In my league we want to both have that H2H. and try to get teams in that deserve it. In an extreme example, in H2H only league, it's possible that a team could score the second highest points every week and finish the year without a win. Again, that's extreme but it reflects what happens every year in to a team or two in every league. To me that is more frustrating than anything since when playing in a H2H game, the opponent has no impact on your teams results and vice versa.

Anyway, in the end, it all just depends on what you like.

*I believe* 50/50 is like this: (one internet FF league went to this, a number of years ago)

You still do a head-to-head. BUT - there is also a second matchup every week. It is against the average score of the teams in the league. So, if you happen to always play a top-3 scoring team of the week, but score well - you CAN go 1-1, by beating the average (which includes the low-scoring teams).

TOTAL POINTS boys, TOTAL POINTS.

There is no other way to award a champion of a 16 weeks game of statistics....we don't actually pay head to head on a field., that's the toughest concept for FFers to get over in NOT mocking that real NFL, who actually DO play on a field, in Head to Head competition

Luck is always part of it. In the last two weeks, I lost Wentz, Brown, Burkhead and Zuerlein.

Limping into the finals, so rolling with waiver wire prayers Bortles, Keelan Cole, Riddick or Bibbs and Lambo.

I agree total points is a more accurate way to determine overall success, but I think you have to accept the vagaries that come with head-to-head in order to get the satisfaction that comes with a HTH win.

Good luck to all in the finals.