Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Smoking a cigar

Enjoying some Troegs Nugget (insert homo joke) Nectar

Damn I got a buzz. Have the perfect playlist playing for a smoke buzz. Well for non geezer music enjoyers

I don't like big fat turds of cigars. I order from a little shop in Old San Juan. Only a buck twenty a piece. Get them in packs of 25. Five inchers and about as big around as a pinky. Can be done in twenty minutes.

• Like 1

My cross to bear..... I don't know how to smoke. Like I don't even physically get what you're supposed to do.

I'm gonna go crochet now and cry watching the Notebook

Enjoying some Troegs Nugget (insert homo joke) Nectar

Damn I got a buzz. Have the perfect playlist playing for a smoke buzz. Well for non geezer music enjoyers

Have you started spinning, getting the sweats and shitting yourself?

Ive never gotten the appeal of a cigar. In all seriousness, whats the point? They smell like a$$. Ive smoked some that Ive been told are really good but they all seem the same. Is it a status symbol? Please school me.

Ive never gotten the appeal of a cigar. In all seriousness, whats the point? They smell like a$$. Ive smoked some that Ive been told are really good but they all seem the same. Is it a status symbol? Please school me.

Status symbol and peer pressure, like many of the “finer” things in life.

Status symbol and peer pressure, like many of the finer things in life.

They aren't for everybody but, this answer is absurd.

HTH

• Like 1

I don't like big fat turds of cigars. I order from a little shop in Old San Juan. Only a buck twenty a piece. Get them in packs of 25. Five inchers and about as big around as a pinky. Can be done in twenty minutes.

Im with you. My dad and brothers used to smoke cigars a lot. When I was around, Id join. I like a good cigar, especially with a side of good whiskey.

But after 20 30 minutes. Im done. Yeah those big fockers that take an hour or more to smoke... pass.

Status symbol and peer pressure, like many of the finer things in life.

You guessed it! I finally felt like I had real status in life after smoking that cigar.... or maybe I actually enjoy the flavor. Plus it gave me a small buzz.

Status symbol and peer pressure, like many of the “finer” things in life.

Just because most of my friends like c0cks in their ass doesn't mean I have to :nono:

It builds confidence and character.

coffee, beer, wine, whisky, onions, peppers, cigars... there are plenty of things that are an "acquired" taste.

I've never smoked cigarettes. And only smoked marijuana once (or twice). For the most part, I am not a smoker.

But cigars started for me on the golf course. I'm not a very good golfer and most of my problems golfing are mental... and one day, I played my best after being offered a cigar. See, I was so concerned with the cigar and not losing it or burning down the woods, that I forgot to be a bad golfer and played a pretty decent round (for me).

Eventually, I associated the taste/smell of a cigar with having a good time. Anytime I had a cigar it was at an event and with people I really enjoyed being with.

Fast forward. Today, I will enjoy a cigar on my own, on my back deck, when I finally have some time to sit and unwind. My deck is i a wooded area full of bird/wildlife. I'll have a nice whisky and cigar in the quiet our back. I can hear the murmur of my wife and kids inside, laughing and talking, and watch the wildlife come and go for 30 to 60 minutes of quiet peace.

At this point, I haven't had a cigar since Christmas - but I'm looking forward to the spring and having a quiet smoke and drink on the back deck again.

• Like 1

coffee, beer, wine, whisky, onions, peppers, cigars... there are plenty of things that are an "acquired" taste.

I've never smoked cigarettes. And only smoked marijuana once (or twice). For the most part, I am not a smoker.

But cigars started for me on the golf course. I'm not a very good golfer and most of my problems golfing are mental... and one day, I played my best after being offered a cigar. See, I was so concerned with the cigar and not losing it or burning down the woods, that I forgot to be a bad golfer and played a pretty decent round (for me).

Eventually, I associated the taste/smell of a cigar with having a good time. Anytime I had a cigar it was at an event and with people I really enjoyed being with.

Fast forward. Today, I will enjoy a cigar on my own, on my back deck, when I finally have some time to sit and unwind. My deck is i a wooded area full of bird/wildlife. I'll have a nice whisky and cigar in the quiet our back. I can hear the murmur of my wife and kids inside, laughing and talking, and watch the wildlife come and go for 30 to 60 minutes of quiet peace.

At this point, I haven't had a cigar since Christmas - but I'm looking forward to the spring and having a quiet smoke and drink on the back deck again.

Spot on.

Doesn't have anything to do with another human on the planet, sitting alone on the back deck with a cigar and a fancy drink is pure joy. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

• Like 1

Good story TD. Makes sense.

For me also never a smoker but back in the day Cigar at weddings or super bowl parties etc. haven't done that in many years.

This past holiday season was invited to a party in an exclusive members only cigar bar and although the steak/lobster tails / whiskey was awesome I just couldn't enjoy the cigar like I used to.

Also of note smoking in bars has been banned in NY for a LONG time and it was very odd being in a bar / club with all that smoke. - was actually rediculius how must smoke was in that place that night.

Spot on.

Doesn't have anything to do with another human on the planet, sitting alone on the back deck with a cigar and a fancy drink is pure joy. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Yep. On the pontoon or by the campfire. It's just enjoyable.

• Like 1

The fresh smell of cigar smoke doesn't bother me. I smoked cigarettes for 13 years and still enjoy the smell.

It's the smell 30 min after you are done smoking one that is truly disgusting.

Nice summary. Similar to my experience as far as enjoying a cigar as part of relaxing time for myself. Sitting on back deck or around fire pit. Often accompanied by a nice peaty scotch.

• Like 1

All I know about cigars is that if Bill Clinton offers me one....decline it.

for those that don't enjoy a cigar - I completely understand.

the smoke, the smell and cleanup (ashes) can be a deterrent - I always try to be respectful If I'm going to smoke and for that reason it's often in a secluded area.

I guess the other thing about the cigars is that I've tried and learned about lots of different cigars - getting to know where they are from, how they are made, and what the differences are in terms of price, taste, regions, craftsmanship, etc.

I am fortunate enough to have met a 3rd generation Cuban Cigar roller who lives near me. The guy is an old-world craftsman and makes cigars for me and a lot of guys I know. He grows his tobacco nearby in Connecticut with imported seeds and gets wrappers, etc from friends back home in Cuba and the Dominican. And he charges a fraction of the price of the more expensive Cohiba, Montecristo, Ashton, etc brands. The best way I can describe these home grown cigars is with a produce analogy... produce from the grocery store vs. garden vegetables... the cigars are "garden" fresh, supple, and rolled perfectly.

So with this all, there's a bit of history, tradition and ritual in the whole cigar thing - where they are from, how they are made, and eventually how you personally cut, light, and smoke them (cedar match, toast the edge, etc.).

So although I'm not a wine drinker and I don't know much about wine at all - cigars and whisky have a similar appeal to me as the wine does in terms of learning about them and appreciating them.

i understand people like them and all...nothing really against them...i smoked cigarettes for years....but i just think it looks so dooshy for dudes my age (40's) for some reason. it never seems like they really like it but just doing it to be part of dooshy crowd :dunno:

it was cooler when i was a kid and saw old grandpop guys smoke em

Its just another form of relaxation, a few fingers of good bourbon on ice, with a nice cigar sitting around a fire or watching a football game is just very relaxing. Like many things they are an acquired taste and part of the fun is the journey through the litany of brands and flavors trying to find what appeals to your pallet and what doesn't.

If someone is smoking hundred dollar cigars, yeah that's a status thing. My $8 cigar when No one else is near me to observe my new found super cigar awesome sauce titacular status

You guessed it! I finally felt like I had real status in life after smoking that cigar.... or maybe I actually enjoy the flavor. Plus it gave me a small buzz.

No, you started smoking them because of the reasons I mentioned. Then you acquired the taste. HTH.

I don’t know about onions and pepper, but the rest of the stuff you mention is fairly unpleasant the first time you try it. If it weren’t for peer pressure, youd never acquire those tastes.

No, you started smoking them because of the reasons I mentioned. Then you acquired the taste. HTH.

The first time I smoked a cigar was in Jamaica. It was a Cuban, and it tasted excellent. Just like I had been told. Just like when I try something new, because someone tells me it tastes good, or i may actually enjoy it.

• Like 1

Not to go all GFIAFP here (and I mentioned it here many times - maybe not the cigar part).

I was working at a cigar party at Windows on the World Sunday September 9 2001.

I'm sure if you don't know you'll guess it was the restaurant on the top floor in one of the WTCs.

Cigars has been my connection with the attacks as I knew a lot of the staff that perished that day. (There was an old lady foundation function going on the Tuesday morning)

Anywho. Sorry.

Not to go all GFIAFP here (and I mentioned it here many times - maybe not the cigar part).

I was working at a cigar party at Windows on the World Sunday September 9 2001.

I'm sure if you don't know you'll guess it was the restaurant on the top floor in one of the WTCs.

Cigars has been my connection with the attacks as I knew a lot of the staff that perished that day. (There was an old lady foundation function going on the Tuesday morning)

Anywho. Sorry.

It is simply not possible that there was ever such a thing as a cigar party.

It is simply not possible that there was ever such a thing as a cigar party.

OK. Cigar themed party ?

Better ?

It was a party revolving around (Cubans) rolling cigars. And weird was it was a Sunday AFTERNOON

OK. Cigar themed party ?

Better ?

It was a party revolving around (Cubans) rolling cigars. And weird was it was a Sunday AFTERNOON

Are you sure it wasn't a lemon party?

Are you sure it wasn't a lemon party?

I don't know for sure what a lemon party is as I never clicked that link once but I am pretty confident this was not one.

While I enjoy a good cigar, the taste it leaves in your mouth the next morning outweighs it.

You spelled C0ck wrong.

• Like 1

OK. Cigar themed party ?

Better ?

Well, I didn't think you meant the cigars were throwing the party.

:lol:

Wait... so at a gender reveal, you arent supposed to reveal your junk?

And at a bridal/baby shower, you arent supposed to throw the bride or baby off a roof?

Oh boy. Faux pas. No wonder I never get invited anywhere.

The first time I smoked a cigar was in Jamaica. It was a Cuban, and it tasted excellent. Just like I had been told. Just like when I try something new, because someone tells me it tastes good, or i may actually enjoy it.

Had you smoked cigarettes previously? Not that it can’t happen, but I’ve never heard of a nonsmoker just pick up a cigar and instantly like it.