Sign in to follow this  
ESPN's Jemele Hill call Trump a "white supremacist" in tweet, still has job...

I thought free speech was encouraged?

Only when making fun of the handicapped, insulting women and calling non whites rapists and murderers. You need to draw the fake outrage line somewhere. Sad!

She does enjoy free speech which comes with consequences. I'm guess if we looked back into people boycotting those that support Trump, we'd find you were okay with that action.

People calling for the boycotting of ESPN because of her comments are no different. She said inflammatory things about Trump and his supporters that were way over the top.

Personally I don't watch ESPN anymore and don't care what she has to say.

She does enjoy free speech which comes with consequences. I'm guess if we looked back into people boycotting those that support Trump, we'd find you were okay with that action.

People calling for the boycotting of ESPN because of her comments are no different. She said inflammatory things about Trump and his supporters that were way over the top.

Personally I don't watch ESPN anymore and don't care what she has to say.

I'll go one further. I don't even know who the hell we are talking about!! W ouldnt even know her name if it wasn't for this outrage

Cohn criticized her employer's actions in a public forum.

Hill said something defamatory about the president in a public forum.

The two are not equivalent when it comes to discipline from your employer. HTH

:lol:

:lol:

I too find it hilarious that you can't tell the difference. So many of you, who apparently never watch ESPN, are so triggered by her words. Amazing how circular the snowflake terminology has come

I too find it hilarious that you can't tell the difference. So many of you, who apparently never watch ESPN, are so triggered by her words. Amazing how circular the snowflake terminology has come

I think what's happened here is that most guys who are into sports really enjoyed espn at one time. We don't anymore because of this nonsense. We have enough outlets for politics, I'd rather it not intrude on my time in the funhouse, as much as possible. These people won't let it be. PS, I thought when they hired Rush Limbaugh that it was wrong as well and was glad when he left.

Not me bro. I don't care. For me it's no different than if my neighbor made a statement like this. Ok.

If they fire her, suspend her, keep her on and pat her on the back. Doesn't matter. My mortgage still needs to be paid. And I'm still not watching ESPN. And not cause if this, cause I don't find ESPN entertaining

What makes you think anyone is "triggered" by her words? Had this thread not existed I'd have no clue she said anything, and would care about as little as I do now, which is none. But the thread does exist so I choose to post a couple of times in it. BFD. If you think posting in a thread means I give much sh*t about it you have no clue what the geek club is about.

I think what's happened here is that most guys who are into sports really enjoyed espn at one time. We don't anymore because of this nonsense. We have enough outlets for politics, I'd rather it not intrude on my time in the funhouse, as much as possible. These people won't let it be.

That's a fair assessment re: ESPN, but as it pertains to this woman, the comment was made on her personal Twitter account. I'm not sure whether that account carries the same rules as being an on-air persona and is tied to her job. If so, then sure the argument about her being reprimanded can carry weight.

Now, going back to your comments on ESPN, I stopped watching their non-live sporting events about 10 years ago when they started having way too many idiotic anchors trying to use 4,000 catchphrases, limited to no coverage of several teams, and an overall slide in content quality.

They've been abysmal for years. Long gone are the days of Steiner, Patrick, Eisen, Kilborn, etc. But honestly, in hindsight, even some of their schticks got tiresome.

That's a fair assessment re: ESPN, but as it pertains to this woman, the comment was made on her personal Twitter account. I'm not sure whether that account carries the same rules as being an on-air persona and is tied to her job. If so, then sure the argument about her being reprimanded can carry weight.

Now, going back to your comments on ESPN, I stopped watching their non-live sporting events about 10 years ago when they started having way too many idiotic anchors trying to use 4,000 catchphrases, limited to no coverage of several teams, and an overall slide in content quality.

They've been abysmal for years. Long gone are the days of Steiner, Patrick, Eisen, Kilborn, etc. But honestly, in hindsight, even some of their schticks got tiresome.

Yeah, Berman should have been gone long ago. I liked the second tier guys like Bob Ley and John Saunders. Was not a Stuart Scott guy. Too frat boy.
  • Like 1

Yeah, Berman should have been gone long ago. I liked the second tier guys like Bob Ley and John Saunders. Was not a Stuart Scott guy. Too frat boy.

I'll NEVER...EVER...understand why people liked him. It was around the time that he started getting more and more play that I tuned in less and less.

You have employers that require access to your Facebook to make sure you don't post anything that could impact their company negatively. Social Media Rants are NOT guaranteed Freedom of Consequences.

HTH.

Meanwhile, Linda Cohn, who is hosted SportsCenter over 5000 times was sent home and told to stay there because she agreed when she was asked if politics might be playing a factor in declining ratings.

Note that she didn't bring the subject up. She's simply agreed. And was for all intents and purposes suspended indefinitely. Meanwhile, Jamil got the equivalent of a tap on the wrist.

So f****** sick of this s***. Rumor is that Bob Iger wants to run for president. If that's the case, he's not winning over most of the population.

• Like 1

Oh REAAALLY? Let's see what Kurt Schilling has to say about that.

ofcourse not one was true and the other was igotworms level fabricated idiocy.

Why do you seem to always defend left wing hack media ?

We all know that sometimes saying controversial shiit gets you ratings.

Hell, the whole talk radio industry is built upon that.

But I think there's a principle of diminishing returns there too - as we're seeing with ESPN.

Honestly, I think most people who used to watch a lot of ESPN are just saying "Fock It'.

- No time or desire for any real protests and shiit. - That Twitter shiit is for the other side.

But the people who pay the bills - the people who can afford seat licenses and season tickets,etc?

From what I can tell, most people are just tuning out and turning off.

I honestly don't understand the business decision;

"Let's see, we have the 10% demographic. Half of of them are wimmen, half are in prison, most of them are poor - yeah THAT's the demographic that advertisers want!! " - Screw the affluent 40% that can actually afford the shiit we're advertisiting. "

Honestly, I really think ESPN is looking at the Japanese business model where they're filling entire stadiums for - no kidding -

Video games and Drone Racing.

- That's about all it can be.

Oh REAAALLY? Let's see what Kurt Schilling has to say about that.

The simple explanation for why ESPN did not fire Jemele Hill but did fire Curt Schilling

Hill was not fired because this was the first time she violated ESPN's rules on discussing politics. Schilling was fired because he had been warned repeatedly to stop and did not.

In 2015, Schilling was suspended from the network for posting a meme to Twitter comparing Muslim extremists to Nazis. Schilling later apologized for the tweet and called it a "bad decision" and "100% my fault."

Six months later, Schilling said during an interview that then-presidential candidate Hillary Clinton should be "buried under a jail somewhere," in reference to her email scandal.

That came shortly after ESPN had issued a company-wide directive telling employees to refrain from "political editorializing, personal attacks or 'drive-by' comments regarding the candidates and their campaigns." ESPN said they looked into the comments, but did not discipline Schilling. He later said the email had ended up in his spam folder.

Just one month later, Schilling was fired when he shared a Facebook post in response to the North Carolina law that bars transgender people from using bathrooms that do not correspond to their gender of birth.

If Hill does not heed the warning from ESPN, presumably she will suffer the same fate as Schilling. But until she shows that she is a recidivist like Schilling, it is an apples and oranges comparison.

I think what's happened here is that most guys who are into sports really enjoyed espn at one time. We don't anymore because of this nonsense. We have enough outlets for politics, I'd rather it not intrude on my time in the funhouse, as much as possible. These people won't let it be. PS, I thought when they hired Rush Limbaugh that it was wrong as well and was glad when he left.

That's a bingo.

Meanwhile, Linda Cohn, who is hosted SportsCenter over 5000 times was sent home and told to stay there because she agreed when she was asked if politics might be playing a factor in declining ratings.

Note that she didn't bring the subject up. She's simply agreed. And was for all intents and purposes suspended indefinitely. Meanwhile, Jamil got the equivalent of a tap on the wrist.

So f****** sick of this s***. Rumor is that Bob Iger wants to run for president. If that's the case, he's not winning over most of the population.

This.......................all focking day.

wasn't she suspended a couple years ago ? Something about rooting for the Celtics is like rooting for Hitler.

Poor Mikey, wrong all day. :(

wasn't she suspended a couple years ago ? Something about rooting for the Celtics is like rooting for Hitler.

Poor Mikey, wrong all day. :(

That came shortly after ESPN had issued a company-wide directive telling employees to refrain from "political editorializing, personal attacks or 'drive-by' comments regarding the candidates and their campaigns." ESPN said they looked into the comments, but did not discipline Schilling. He later said the email had ended up in his spam folder.

Poor drobe, only 232 words and he still couldn't manage to get through it all...was it the big words that scared you away?

Poor drobe, only 232 words and he still couldn't manage to get through it all...was it the big words that scared you away?

ok what did shillings meme have to do with any political campaign ? :doh:

Jemele Hill....

The one person that is even more hateable than Donald Trump. I loathe that woman always bringing race into everything.

The point of this thread is espn is just another left wing hack biased media outlet.

Correct ?

This can't be argued, can it?

Linda Cohn (gorgeous) knows sports, especially hockey. Jamele (gross) doesn't know spit

There is literally no scenario that Trumpflakes can't spin to fit their whiny woe is me they're all out to get me victim complex.

We all know these kinds of people. They're more deserving of pity than scorn. :(

There is literally no scenario that Trumpflakes can't spin to fit their whiny woe is me they're all out to get me victim complex.

Kind of like when someone says they got a copy of Hillary's book for you?

Kind of like when someone says they got a copy of Hillary's book for you?

:(

The point of this thread is espn is just another left wing hack biased media outlet.

Correct ?

This can't be argued, can it?

100% correct

ofcourse not one was true and the other was igotworms level fabricated idiocy.

Why do you seem to always defend left wing hack media ?

I'm not defending sh!t other than a person's right to type whatever the fock they want on the internet if it's a personal account.

If her Twitter is associated with her work, contractually, then go off that.

Otherwise, I don't follow her, I don't watch her, I don't care about her, the person. I care about the right to say Obama is a Muslim and Trump is a white supremacist though. As long as you don't go Newbie or beyond, say what you focking want to say.

But that right applies to everyone that's a citizen. You, me, and a lot of in-betweens that (likely) neither of us particularly care for, but are still given the same Constitutional playbook to abide by.

I'm not defending sh!t other than a person's right to type whatever the fock they want on the internet if it's a personal account.

If her Twitter is associated with her work, contractually, then go off that.

Otherwise, I don't follow her, I don't watch her, I don't care about her, the person. I care about the right to say Obama is a Muslim and Trump is a white supremacist though. As long as you don't go Newbie or beyond, say what you focking want to say.

But that right applies to everyone that's a citizen. You, me, and a lot of in-betweens that (likely) neither of us particularly care for, but are still given the same Constitutional playbook to abide by.

What if a person had a private conversation secretly taped without their knowledge and yet was ultimately stripped of their job and kicked out of a league based on a person making that public?

I like the fact that she hasn't been suspended or fired. ESPN has a clear double standard and they are sticking to their guns. They have fired employees for much less when it comes to content on their personal social media accounts.

We know where ESPN stands with regards to their political leanings. I'll respect their decision by consciously deciding not to consume their products.

I like the fact that she hasn't been suspended or fired. ESPN has a clear double standard and they are sticking to their guns. They have fired employees for much less when it comes to content on their personal social media accounts.

We know where ESPN stands with regards to their political leanings. I'll respect their decision by consciously deciding not to consume their products.

Who have they fired for less when it comes to social media content?

I remember hearing, at least two or three times Trump condemning Neo Nazis and the KKK. Maybe my hearing was off. :dunno:

He condemned them, but he also didn't advance that false narrative that these anti fascist groups commiting violence are patriots