Sign in to follow this  
Ghost96

Proposed possible rule change for 2015

It happens every year. Once the draft is over, a handful of players drop like flies, ....with injury issues--certain to start the season on the DL. Even worse, some players are confirmed in March "OUT FOR THE SEASON". Some owners get hit hard, ...some, ....like my 2014 Heefees, ...take a couple of lumps, and a few owners dodge the bullets. My issue is this: The speed with which some players are shifted to the DL, ....versus the amazing LACK of speed with which other players see that same shift. Our league has made a rule change to establish ample DL spots. With the nature of our keeper system, ....it's kind of nice to be able to dispatch a guy to the DL, ....and then fill that spot with a valuable acquisition, ....a guy you can only keep on your roster for 2014, ....but that could turn out to be important.

In my case, ....I found out, what seems like a century ago, that my 14th round pick, Patrick Corbin, will likely miss 2014. TWO DAYS AGO, ....the dude actually went under the knife, ...Tommy John, ....CLEARLY gone for ALL OF 2014, ....But take note, PC, by some miracle, might come back in time for spring 2015, ....and be worth a 2015 11th round keeper. As much as I really doubt that, ...no big deal, ....we've got multiple DL spots, ...I'll just wait till he hits the DL and stuff him there--just in case a miracle occurs. I waited, .....and waited, ....and waited. Kysar lost Medlen to the DL, ....Torn lost Kemp to the DL, ....Rusty lost Bourn and Minor to the DL, ....HappyHarry lost Beachy to the DL, ....I KNOW of other players who are injured for the long term, .....but NO DL, ....YET, ....for them.

Moments ago, ....I just ditched Corbin, ....yes, ....forfeited my rights, ....to get Erasmo Ramirez. I mentioned earlier that I agonized over my 30th round pick. I had Erasmo in my sights, ....but I opted for Tyler Skaggs. No regrets just yet, ....but Erasmo just ROCKED in his final spring start, ....and he zipped up the listed of most acquired players, ....I wasn't going to wait till I'm an old man to swap Corbin/Ramirez, ....okay, I mean MORE of an old man than I already am. I was unaware that Ryan Cook had any injury issues, ....but in his case, he might be a 26th round keeper in 2015, ....and I think he has an outside chance of emerging as an effective closer in 2015-2017. When Cook hits the DL (News has stated that as a certainty), ....I will seek out free agent and make a move. Cook will be out of commission for only a number of days, part of April at the most.

My solution? Geez, I have no idea, ....it just seems like a shame to forfeit rights to a solid young player, ...or to have to use up valuable transactions in order to dump him, ....and reacquire him later in the summer. I SINCERELY view Corbin as a great 2016 prospect, .....not a likely 11th round candidate for 2015 anyway, so, ....I consider him gone, gone, GONE. I'm glad I wasn't hit worse than this. I have Manny Machado in another Yahoo! league (fully aware of his rehab when I bought him for $9). Would love to see him officially hit the DL soon (a certainty) so I can roster another player. Any thoughts?

Yahoo doesn't put players on the DL until the team officially puts them on the DL...

Corbin isn't on the DL yet:

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=ari#month=3&year=2014&team_id=109

Once he is put on the DL, the stats provider will put them on the DL and Yahoo will then get the stat feed and DL the player accordingly...

That is why some players are on the DL and some aren't...

This is why Medlen and Beachy are already on the DL, because the Braves put them on the 23rd...

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=atl#month=3&year=2014&team_id=144

Teams don't need to submit their final 25-man roster until Sunday, so that is why this happens every year... No need to DL someone (even someone who is out for the year) because they don't need the roster slot...

I guess you've defined where my confusion lies. The Dbacks are every bit as aware of Corbin being finished for 2014, by comparison of the Braves awareness that Medlen is gone for 2014. So, ....why did the Braves see an urgency to get Medlen on their DL five days ago, ....whereas the Dbacks will get around to making the same move on Corbin, mmmm, who knows?, .....maybe Monday or Tuesday. I just couldn't have waited any longer, ....in my opinion, Erasmo could be a huge surprise in 2014, and somebody in our league would have figured that out before the end of the weekend. If he crashes and burns, I will admit that I worried too much about Corbin's unutilized roster spot. I hate injuries.