Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

2012 NFL Draft - Round 5

TEN - Taylor Thompson, TE SMU

The Titans land themselves a major developmental player in Thompson, who just recently made the move from DE to TE but impressed scouts enough in pre-draft workouts to warrant a draft pick. At 6-6 and 260 pounds, Thompson will have plenty of time to develop behind Jared Cook and Craig Stevens. He has no redraft value, but his athleticism makes him an interesting watch for dynasty owners as he makes the transition to his new position at the pro level.

DAL - Danny Coale, WR Va Tech

Yet another interesting fit for player and team on the third day. After seeing what Laurent Robinson gave them as a third receiver last year, the Cowboys take a solid four-year starter who should fit well as a slot receiver in Dallas. While he's obviously no match for Robinson's athleticism, he is a solid possession receiver who can find the hole in zones. He's in a bad spot for substantial fantasy value in redraft or dynasty leagues simply because he'll fall behind Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten in the passing game pecking order, but he stands a great shot at winning the WR3 job right away.

PIT - Chris Rainey, WR Florida

While Rainey is probably a bit light to ever handle more than 10 touches/game, he is an incredibly explosive athlete that will likely succeed Mewelde Moore and/or Baron Batch and contribute immediately as a returner. It is notable that he winds up in Pittsburgh with new OC Todd Haley, who may choose to use him in like he did Dexter McCluster in Kansas City. He is a fringe redraft pick in PPR leagues whose will likely be stuck in his rookie role for the long term.

HOU - Randy Bullock K Texas A&M

Much like Alex Henery last year, Bullock lands in a dream scenario for his fantasy stock. He should be considered a top 10 fantasy player at his position immediately with Neil Rackers now in Washington.

CIN - Marvin Jones WR Cal

Mohamed Sanu has legit competition for the right to start opposite AJ Green now. Like Sanu, he is also a possession-type receiver, but Jones is a bit more likely to create a big play than his third-round draft classmate is. There is definitely some Chad Johnson to his game, so it would not be a shock to see him beat Sanu out for a starting job Week 1. As a result, he could definitely warrant a late-round pick in redraft leagues and has significant dynasty-league appeal.

OAK - Juron Criner, WR Arizona

A size-weight specimen who lacks the speed that Al Davis loved in his receivers, Criner is more of a slower receiver that can create big plays downfield thanks to his 6-3, 224-pound frame and impressive 38-inch vertical jump. He has little redraft value with Darrius Heyward-Bey, Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford around, but he has a chance to play right away because he is a good blocker and will consistently turn third downs into first downs. Nevertheless, he belongs on watch lists only for now in redraft and dynasty leagues.

IND - Vick Ballard, RB Mississippi State

With the 5-10, 220-pound Ballard coming to town, it suggests the new coaching staff wasn't all that thrilled by what Delone Carter showed last year. Indy wants to build a physical, run-oriented team under new HC Chuck Pagano, so if the team is already down on Carter, Ballard could easily be a goal-line option for the team in 2012. It is also entirely possible that since Donald Brown isn't what Pagano's idea of a lead back either, so Ballard has a shot for much more fantasy value than your typical fifth-round RB. Pay attention to training camp this summer to Colts' camp as Ballard has a chance to achieve the value many expected Carter to have last season.

CIN - Marvin Jones WR Cal

Mohamed Sanu has legit competition for the right to start opposite AJ Green now. Like Sanu, he is also a possession-type receiver, but Jones is a bit more likely to create a big play than his third-round draft classmate is. There is definitely some Chad Johnson to his game, so it would not be a shock to see him beat Sanu out for a starting job Week 1. As a result, he could definitely warrant a late-round pick in redraft leagues and has significant dynasty-league appeal.

Wow, Cincy just created a top notch receiving corps. I predict that the Bengals will play lots more 3 receiver sets so that both Sanu and Jones will see the field along with AC Green. Green will likely continue to play the Z (flanker), while Jones plays the X (split end), and Sanu plays the slot(Y). Both Sanu and Marvin Jones are two of the better blockers in this receiving class.

BTW, Doug - I meant to say it before that I really love the fantasy analaysis with each offensive skill position pick.

:cheers:

Wow, Cincy just created a top notch receiving corps. I predict that the Bengals will play lots more 3 receiver sets so that both Sanu and Jones will see the field along with AC Green. Green will likely continue to play the Z (flanker), while Jones plays the X (split end), and Sanu plays the slot(Y). Both Sanu and Marvin Jones are two of the better blockers in this receiving class.

BTW, Doug - I meant to say it before that I really love the fantasy analaysis with each offensive skill position pick.

:cheers:

Happy to do it! As for Jones/Sanu, I question how much action the "loser" gets with Orson Charles likely to see action in at least 50% of the team's offensive snaps. And what about Shipley...is he now an afterthought?

Happy to do it! As for Jones/Sanu, I question how much action the "loser" gets with Orson Charles likely to see action in at least 50% of the team's offensive snaps. And what about Shipley...is he now an afterthought?

Do I believe that Jones is their second best receiver? You know my money is on him! I also love Sanu in the slot - I think he's better than either Orson Charles or Shipley. So I foresee more 3 WR sets than two TE sets with Charles opposite Jermaine Gresham.

But they added a lot of versatility so it sure will be interesting.

Do I believe that Jones is their second best receiver? You know my money is on him! I also love Sanu in the slot - I think he's better than either Orson Charles or Shipley. So I foresee more 3 WR sets than two TE sets with Charles opposite Jermaine Gresham.

But they added a lot of versatility so it sure will be interesting.

All I know is that the remaining AFC North defensive coordinators are gonna be up late figuring out how to contain all of Jay Gruden's new toys!

Who Dey!

I LOVE the Thompson pick for the Titans. This guy is bigger AND faster than Gronkowski or Graham. I think he will be a beast in a couple years. I'm gonna stash him on my bench in dynasty.