Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Two Commentary**

Wondering when someone was going to pull the Gronk trigger.

If I had 1.11 or 1.12, I would have considered it in the 2nd round too.

*thanks for deleting my other post fumble.

Posted by RicemanX in simultaneous thread:

"Wondering when someone was going to pull the Gronk trigger.

If I had 1.11 or 1.12, I would have considered it in the 2nd round too."

What do you guys think of the Richardson/Peterson combo?

No argument against the talent. Just against the teams. Both teams are likely to be in the bottom five of the league. Can you win with your top two picks both coming from fairly substandard NFL teams?

Big gamble on adp. If anyone can come back from that injury and not miss a beat its him. As I said in round 1 I'm dead set on RB at this turn, I considered 1 WR briefly.

I like Trent Richardson. I think he'll finish a top 20 RB this season guaranteed.

I have Peterson on my DND list however, i just can't get that injury out of my head.

No argument against the talent. Just against the teams. Both teams are likely to be in the bottom five of the league. Can you win with your top two picks both coming from fairly substandard NFL teams?

Peyton Hillis put up nice numbers a couple years ago with basically the same offense. AD would be a top 3-4 pick if not for his ACL.

AD/Richardson is a good combo (in a non-PPR league). Both have tremendous upside, but I don't see Richardson full out busting this year, which provides some safety in case AD isn't himself.

I am a little surprised at the TE picks, even in a PPR format that was a slightly elevated place to grab them. Not sure if they are going to score enough to justify those spots.

I am a little surprised at the TE picks, even in a PPR format that was a slightly elevated place to grab them. Not sure if they are going to score enough to justify those spots.

We're not in a PPR format here...are we?

We're not in a PPR format here...are we?

No, that why I worded it that even if we were in that format, those picks were a bit high, not crazy high, but a bit early......that we are not in a PPR makes the picks seems REALLY high....to me....JMHO

Understood. I have them valued mid to late second round, so I think I agree with you.

Having Brady and Gronkowski both, though, would be quite a combo and what ICE has done with his first two picks is something that I think we'll see duplicated in drafts throughout the country this summer...

With everyone online, I was hoping we'd make it back to my picks. I have to leave at 4 eastern for my daughter's softball game. If someone wants to call me at 317 414 8942 when it's my turn, I'll let you know who to grab.

Texting ok?

Understood. I have them valued mid to late second round, so I think I agree with you.

Having Brady and Gronkowski both, though, would be quite a combo and what ICE has done with his first two picks is something that I think we'll see duplicated in drafts throughout the country this summer...

You heard it here first and I am trade marking it. Brady & Gronk - "The Touchdown Twins."

ICEMAN

I am not sure I see a repeat of the Brady/Gronkowski "magic" this year. More time for OCs to develop a plan and.....Belicheck will come up with a new scheme we haven't known about. I don't mind the Gronk/Graham picks, I just am not an early TE selector. There is talent galore at this position, it can wait IMO.

I am not sure I see a repeat of the Brady/Gronkowski "magic" this year. More time for OCs to develop a plan and.....Belicheck will come up with a new scheme we haven't known about. I don't mind the Gronk/Graham picks, I just am not an early TE selector. There is talent galore at this position, it can wait IMO.

Was going to go QB (4 points for TDs, and very good availability at QB) but wanted to just grab a stud TE. I am going to go to bed now...1230am here now....i will send a list for my next pick when i get up for rounds 3 and 4 to not hold up the draft tomorrow.

Matt

Here, just swamped at work. Will pick in a few minutes

Forte is a guy I'm pretty scared to touch at this point. In an August draft, things surrounding him may be much clearer, but for now, his future in Chicago is fairly uncertain.

Still, can't fault the pick based on track record. Forte has certainly proven to be a versatile back thus far in his career. Still, will he beat out Bush for goal-line carries? TD numbers may be lower than some would like to think.

Forte is a guy I'm pretty scared to touch at this point. In an August draft, things surrounding him may be much clearer, but for now, his future in Chicago is fairly uncertain.

Still, can't fault the pick based on track record. Forte has certainly proven to be a versatile back thus far in his career. Still, will he beat out Bush for goal-line carries? TD numbers may be lower than some would like to think.

All fair points but his TD#s were low last season and he was still on his way to a career year before the MCL. Drafting a player this early with a contract issue is always tough (see CJ2K last year) but I'll roll the dice again. Reports are that he's still working out and staying in shape.

I considered another player strongly but in the end felt that the lack of depth at RB compared to that other players position is what made me flip back to Forte.

Well I know this won't draw rave reviews but I really like this guys Blue Collar efforts and feel they have improved their defense during the offseason. He is a work horse back and has a nose for the endzone. Fred Jackson is the guy I've been eyeing since my Qb pick in round 1. I like his two year deal, and the incentives built in. I see him as a guy who will strive to reach those marks.

Well I know this won't draw rave reviews but I really like this guys Blue Collar efforts and feel they have improved their defense during the offseason. He is a work horse back and has a nose for the endzone. Fred Jackson is the guy I've been eyeing since my Qb pick in round 1. I like his two year deal, and the incentives built in. I see him as a guy who will strive to reach those marks.

He's a solid 2nd round pick.

THere are issues with every 2nd tier RB, and backup RBs threatening to take their spot, and Fred Jackson is the one I'm least worried about.

Also find it pretty interesting that no one wants to pull the trigger on the next WR. I honestly have no one who the #2 WR is in this draft.

He's a solid 2nd round pick.

THere are issues with every 2nd tier RB, and backup RBs threatening to take their spot, and Fred Jackson is the one I'm least worried about.

I agree on the "issues" part but not the least worried about part.

There's a certain backup RB in Buf that did ok when Fred went down last season. And said RB is the one management and the fans would love to see go off. My concern is that the grass is greener for Buffalo and they force feed the other RB using Fred's injury as an excuse to go to a RBBC with Fred getting only 40% of the touches.

Sorry i could not pick in that window...

Was outta pocket in rural Alabama......def wouldn't have gone TE........woulda went rb.......not picked.... . lemme know if i can help out again

Also find it pretty interesting that no one wants to pull the trigger on the next WR. I honestly have no one who the #2 WR is in this draft.

If Murray hadn't fallen to me, I was going to take a WR. But, like I said in the first round commentary, I think people are nervous about RBs this year. There's plenty of WRs out there, but the RB depth is seriously lacking.

I'll be honest, I do not like the end of round 1 so far this year. that may change as pre season shakes out. I have already had the luxury of doing a real draft this year (MFFL league at fftoday) and I also drafted late (10th). But the scoring system is far different (PPR, 6 pt passing td's)

As i mentioned at the end of the round 1 commentary I just don't feel this scoring system justifies QB early. And with the depth at the WR position I don't want top take anyone not named Calvin at pick 13. And i'm not a TE high kind of guy with the depth there also.

Unfortunately my top 9 RB's were all gone, leaving me with 1 rookie and a handful of guys with higher injury history. I decided on the rook and the most talented guy with injury history. I gave consideration to Murray and 1 other RB not yet selected. I also gave brief thought to a WR not yet selected.

I don't mind the teams they play for at all. cleveland has a decent defense that should keep them in ball games and they seriously lack receiving threats. All indications are that they will ride Richardson. The vikings are no worse than last year.

If Murray hadn't fallen to me, I was going to take a WR. But, like I said in the first round commentary, I think people are nervous about RBs this year. There's plenty of WRs out there, but the RB depth is seriously lacking.

I like your murray pick. I agree with your analysis regarding RB's and its all the more reason I think its important to lock down a few early. By the time you get to rounds 4 and 5 you're looking at guys in big time shares or guys who are far more valuable in PPR formats. I think you have to get at least 1.

Oddly enough, if i went WR at 2.1, the guy I was targetting at the end of round 3 was Fred Jackson :shocking: .

Gronk scored 10 TD's in his first season and then 17 in his 2nd season. Does that mean that I am expecting him to score 25 TD's this season? No, but I think that he will certainly score 10-13 TD's and about 1K-1200 yards. I don't think that the Pats just gave him $54M to be utilized less this season.

I also see about 10-15 RB's and 10-15 WR's that are all within 10%-15% of each other in expected performance. I expect Gronk (and Graham) to outperform the next best TE by 30%-40% in production.

ICEMAN

The first round was sort of ho-hum, but this second round has been fascintaing so far for me. I think this draft is always a bit RB-crazy compared to many...just as the IBL is WR-crazy. Whatever the case, the picks have been surprising, but the logic behind them sound. Can't wait to see where we go from here...

The first round was sort of ho-hum, but this second round has been fascintaing so far for me. I think this draft is always a bit RB-crazy compared to many...just as the IBL is WR-crazy. Whatever the case, the picks have been surprising, but the logic behind them sound. Can't wait to see where we go from here...

besides the scoring system, i think the RB craze in the june mock also has something to do with the no hassle league. its obviously something people want to do well at. With the fickle nature of the Rb position and the inability to make in season adjustments, add the injury replacement, the hot new tandem guy, etc etc.... it makes getting solid options all the more important.

I had expected to have more of a shot at the end of the RB run, so facing Forte and Charles was not in my plans. Forte gives me pause, for reasons we are all very well aware of. Charles is a concern because I have to wonder if he will need time not to simply recover from his injury, but to also relearn some things; things that kept his production down in the past.

To me Charles is a risky pick, but the right value at this spot just the same.

I had expected to have more of a shot at the end of the RB run, so facing Forte and Charles was not in my plans. Forte gives me pause, for reasons we are all very well aware of. Charles is a concern because I have to wonder if he will need time not to simply recover from his injury, but to also relearn some things; things that kept his production down in the past.

To me Charles is a risky pick, but the right value at this spot just the same.

I have no quarles with Charles here....great value pick RLLD! He could have a very fine seaso and I don't think Hillis will be too much of an impact, goalline if anything.

He was on my radar at 2.05 and would have taken him if I hadn't taken Stafford.

Stafford pick at 2.05.

I wasa looking at 3 options here. The RB (Charles) was a good option. Was looking at WR also, but I couldn't see any of those this early in 2nd round. I would have taken Brady, but he was gone. Thought Stafford was a safer pick, not to worry and honestly, I have him in my top 3 of QBs. I was thinking of 1 other QB, but don't like his situation right now.

Got my eye on a 4/5 round quality running back, so I'll see if this pans out!

Getting ready to go to bed. If any of you guys won't be around in the morning when things kick off once again, please send a list of picks to the e-mail address noted in the Draft Rules thread. V4E and some of the guys with later picks...no need for a list we won't get to you until late in the morning at the very earliest. Riceman and shovel come to mind as possible list senders...

Getting ready to go to bed. If any of you guys won't be around in the morning when things kick off once again, please send a list of picks to the e-mail address noted in the Draft Rules thread. V4E and some of the guys with later picks...no need for a list we won't get to you until late in the morning at the very earliest. Riceman and shovel come to mind as possible list senders...

you have my email, send away!

long day........hitting the sack work again tomorrow...i'll add some comments tomorrow.......if matt cant get a pick in at 3 i'll fill in again......

Sorry, guys. I would have gladly kept things going last night with a phone call. I was doing much needed yard work after a week of rain.

Anyway, I agree with Fumble on the intrigue of this second round. The first round was rather straightforward, not really deviating from anything expected, or not far from. But the second round . . . hmm . .. when is the last time you remember the second tight end taken before the 2nd WR?

It feels like there are more question marks this year at every position, but I am glad now that I went RB in the first round, anchoring that position. Calvin is a good bet to get to the #1 WR spot, but not so far as the gap could potentially be between Matthews and the RB I have rated for the lower part of the second round.

Thrilled to get Brees this late after his record-setting year in 2011. The loss of Payton is going to hurt some...I think everyone agrees with that, but I don't think it will hurt so much as to make Brees anything but value this late in a draft.

I am interested to see what WRs go in the next round or two. I don't have Roddy White as high as Dan obviously did, but opinions on wideouts are going to vary wildly after Calvin Johnson anyway.

I didn't get a list from Riceman last night and since he's a west coaster, there may be a delay with this next pick just a bit.

This late . . .

I considered Brees, almost went with him, figured he would go next, think he's going to have a great year. But the QBs are fairly deep, and this is a 4-point QB league. I'm a little surprised that they are going so quickly. :) Roddy White is "safe." He is going to be a very good receiver; and yes, there are a few others that can get clumped with him, but he allows me to take chances afterward.