Sign in to follow this  
drobeski

Happy Veterans Day to all the geek vets

Mung, Ray, volt, HT,digby and the rest of you who have served.

Thank you for your service and may God bless you and your families.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Always Thanked my Dad on this day. Meant more to him than BS Father's Day or one more miserable Birthday.

All I got to my name

is a dog tag and a flag.

Wouldn't trade 'em for anything.

Thanks Dad.

I thank those who have come after to serve, and especially to those who gave all

Happy Veterans Day fellas. Wont get to do much on it since I got a test tomorrow. Hope the rest of you enjoy it

Thank you mung, Voltaire, Digby and all other geeks who actually served. :cheers:

Cheers all.

You think of what these guys did in WWI, wave after wave of them trying to storm machine gun lairs. Then the same thing again at Normandy during WWIl. The last war we'd fought when I'd joined was a much different sort in the jungles of Vietnam.

I'm glad when it was my time, (Desert Storm in 1991) some lessons were learned and it was overwhelming force in the desert, fought for the right reasons, short, and far, far less dangerous, so much so that I'd had no reason to pick up PTSD as none of my battalion died and only a few guys that I didn't know in our brigade did (and that was friendly fire). The US is good at conventional warfare, especially when it has a technological edge. Veterans of the Gulf War didn't see anything that these guys before us (or after us) did.

Those were heady times. The Cold War had just ended and the 4th largest Army in the world crumpled without inflicting any damage. Frances Fukuyama wrote The End of History and the Scorpions were singing The Winds of Change. Alas, things didn't work out so well since...

Take me to the moment indeed.