Sign in to follow this  
Larry David

Jerick McKinnon to the 49ers

49ers agreed to terms with RB Jerick McKinnon, formerly of the Vikings, on a four-year, $30 million contract.

That $7.5 million average makes McKinnon the league's fourth-highest-paid running back. Our own Evan Silva labeled McKinnon a "poor man's Alvin Kamara" as an in-space playmaker who can run it and catch it. McKinnon doesn't turn 26 until May and has an upward-pointing arrow coming off a career year and joining one of the league's most exciting offensive play-callers in coach Kyle Shanahan. McKinnon totaled 991 yards and five touchdowns last season and is now penned in as the Niners' top back after Carlos Hyde signed with Cleveland.

Assuming they don't get an RB early in the draft, where does this put McKinnon in next year's RB rankings?

That seems like a crazy amount of $, especially since the guy hes replacing (Hyde) will make less despite being the overall better player.

I think this might be the best rb signing both based on player and placement so far.

Proverbs 14:12

we are talking about Jerick McKinnon right?

4th highest paid RB? really?

He s a solid player, but This seems really crazy to me. he's done nothing to justify this kind of cash.

we are talking about Jerick McKinnon right?

4th highest paid RB? really?

He s a solid player, but This seems really crazy to me. he's done nothing to justify this kind of cash.

He was in a very good offense in Minn. Garoppolo is his only chance to be ok in SF. Breida is liked as well.

still, he was in a very good offense and what yardage did he put up? 1000 all purpose yards?

that does not warrant that kinda cash.

That's just an irresponsible signing.

still, he was in a very good offense and what yardage did he put up? 1000 all purpose yards?

And Hyde is proven better...

McKinnon is an athletic freak, maybe shanahan thinks coaching was holding him back.

I would agree with the above poster about McKinnon.

He went to the right team with the right Headcoach and he will find ways to use his talent.

I can see another Freeman when it comes to McKinnon.

And Hyde is proven better...

well, I think it was clear that management did not like Hyde.

whatever their reasons, they just didnt seem to want him back.

I would have actually been surprised if San Fran re signed him.

The glass half full way of looking at his season is that he put up 1K all purpose yards despite the fact that Dalvin Cook was turning into a stud before he got hurt and Latavius Murray became the bell cow down the stretch. 1,000 yards + 5 TDs as a backup could easily translate into 1,500 + 10 if he's the man in SF.

A bit sad to see Hyde go. and Hyde getting less money than McKinnon? .. I've got hopes for McKinnon, I think he'll succeed in this offense as long as he stays healthy.

Draft him, he's going to have some nice fantasy value in that O.

Am I wrong to just not be excited about this move at all?

What has McKinnon ever done? And hes had plenty of opportunity with an injured/suspended/old ADP in front of him

Am I wrong to just not be excited about this move at all?

What has McKinnon ever done? And hes had plenty of opportunity with an injured/suspended/old ADP in front of him

Not wrong at all. He's shown glimpses of what he's capable of. He's a specimen on paper. But nothing that warrants that kind of payday out of the gate, imo. The only thing I can guess is that his specific talents are exactly what Shanny needs and other teams were willing to maybe come close to those dollars? They must know more than we do about his possibilities because I'm still confused at the money they gave him. But some of the sports writers seem to agree with the Niners, so.. :dunno:

I see him being productive for fantasy owners. Just how 30 mil productive is the question.

• Like 1

The Shanny combo is the best part of this move.

Mickinnon is nothing special, but his talents fit this rb friendly system perfectly. A more talented, in his prime Matt Forte esc type back would be better, but this will do. Hyde was a complete misfit for the system and they still made highly productive. Also, not my money so I don't care about that.

A little surprised by this move as I feel they have a cheaper and younger version of McKinnon already on the roster in Matt Breida. I would've figured the need for a bigger/power back to pair with Breida.

A little surprised by this move as I feel they have a cheaper and younger version of McKinnon already on the roster in Matt Breida. I would've figured the need for a bigger/power back to pair with Breida.

I don't disagree about the talent of both of these backs, now I see another version of what he ran with the Falcons when the main focus of the offence was the strength of their two Rbs.

I think this move fits the system the head coach wants to run.

Niners said before last season that Hyde didn't fit their system.

Proverbs 14:22&25.

the money is steep but the fit I think it perfect, 2 good fit Rbs with a head coach who loves a 2 back split, I think both are more Coleman style than Freeman but Breida I think will be more the freeman role.

I think we will see a lot of these 2 next year with SF now having a Qb who can make throws it will keep defences honest against them and make life easier for Jimmy g and gives him 2 good check down options as well.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/14/17121440/jerick-mckinnon-contract-49ers-free-agents-2018

The San Francisco 49ers signed Jerick McKinnon to a four-year contract worth up to $36.9 million, but in reality it is along the lines of a one-year deal with the team having options after 2018. NFL reporter Aaron Wilson posted the salary and bonus details, which includes an option bonus for 2021.

NFL reporter Ben Volin offered his own thoughts, describing the deal as effectively one year with $11.7 million in year one cash. His 2019 salary is guaranteed for injury, and becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster next spring, which is par for the course for many 49ers contracts.

i am trying to find the other article i read that shanahan and lynch had him as their top ranked FA target, Shanny jr wants to us him like coleman in ATL.

and that's what most of this comes down to. Trusting in Shanny and Lynch that they selected the right fit, which I do.

The only concern I have is, to me it seems that they could've gotten him cheaper. But then again, none of us know (that I know of) which other teams were involved in going after him too and what they might've offered or were willing to offer. So, again, gotta trust those guys paid what was needed to get him.

Mickinnon is nothing special, but his talents fit this rb friendly system perfectly. A more talented, in his prime Matt Forte esc type back would be better, but this will do. Hyde was a complete misfit for the system and they still made highly productive. Also, not my money so I don't care about that.

I've owned Mckinnon in dynasty on and off for many years.

He actually IS (or at least WAS based on NFL combine metrics) a special athlete. We seldom got a glimpse of his athleticism translating to regular production at the NFL level prior to last year and the reasons were always unclear. There was an all-world RB in front of him of course that didn't ever want to come off the field, but hard to believe the OCs couldn't have figured something out for him to comprise a regular significant role, esp given APs lack of passing game production.

There were also opportunities and expectations for JM to seize a feature role and succeed when AP was hurt, but it never seemed to happen. I remember him getting dinged time and again and slowed when I expected a breakout game and him looking overmatched running between the tackles.

I think the talent is very real and Shanahan will figure out a way to utilize him in space that translates to FF production. I am skeptical however JM will sustain feature role production for any length of time, as he seems to have been unable to sustain his athletic advantage while dinged in the past. And the dings came quickly when utilized previous to last year

Past results are no guarantee of future performance, maybe he stays healthy from here on out and is a RB1 this year, but I think with the way the RB depth chart looks now I'd rather buy Breida at his low price than buy McKinnon at his price. If I did draft or somehow end up with McKinnon I'd be sure to buy Breida as an insurance policy.

If the 49ers draft an early down RB pounder, I'd still be in on Breida over McKinnon (at relative prices), but if they draft a 3rd down RB before the mid rounds or an all purpose RB in round 2 all bets are off.

It's a Shanny RB. Of course you buy. The dude has done wonders for every guy he's had as an OC on. And a lot of these dudes did well in PPR.

Steve Slaton

Ryan Torain

Helu

Alfred Morris.

Coleman and Freeman

It's a Shanny RB. Of course you buy. The dude has done wonders for every guy he's had as an OC on. And a lot of these dudes did well in PPR.

Steve Slaton

Ryan Torain

Helu

Alfred Morris.

Coleman and Freeman

I hear you and believe are correct. I don't disagree that the starter, whomever it may be in a given week will score points in SF.

Its the other thing to remember about a Shannahn RBs that cautions me.........they are just as likely to come out of nowhere as they are to be the original anointed one.

Go back over that list and a more comprehensive one, or just jog your own memory if you have been around awhile. Many successful Shanny starters displaced whoever had been the expected starter at some point in the year ..........and contract be damned as well in those cases. If McKinnon is the starter he better be prepared and capable to bring it every week.

Cheaper might be better all things considered.

McKinnon is going to be the top ff point scorer at rb for the Niners next season.

Buy him.

Go Wolfpack.

Proverbs 17:5&10&13&15&19.

Steve Slaton

Ryan Torain

Helu

Alfred Morris.

Coleman and Freeman

Is this serious? I don't see it. He had a good year in atlanta but I don't see the stardom he created here.

Is this serious? I don't see it. He had a good year in atlanta but I don't see the stardom he created here.

He got 3,000 yards and 20 TDs out of Alfred Morris in 2 years. And 1600 yards and 10 TDs out of Steve Slaton in 2008.

But he also had a few years of complete RBBC.

I hear you and believe are correct. I don't disagree that the starter, whomever it may be in a given week will score points in SF.

Its the other thing to remember about a Shannahn RBs that cautions me.........they are just as likely to come out of nowhere as they are to be the original anointed one.

Go back over that list and a more comprehensive one, or just jog your own memory if you have been around awhile. Many successful Shanny starters displaced whoever had been the expected starter at some point in the year ..........and contract be damned as well in those cases. If McKinnon is the starter he better be prepared and capable to bring it every week.

Cheaper might be better all things considered.

Joe Williams is a great buy low

Those expecting Freeman type stats are going to be disappointed imo. McK is not good between the tackles and gets injured going there.

I'd forecast him as Duke Johnson type back in SF: around 1k all purpose yards, 65 catches, 7 TDs.

A fine RB2 that is priced as an RB1 currently.

I think those that will underestimate McKinnon will be disappointed.

Freeman was nothing going into his second season.

And I don't recall anyone talking about him being a good in between the tackles either.

I think McKinnon has what it takes.

He's high on my list.

Go Wolfpack

Proverbs 17:20&23&26&28

He's shown some potential in the limited time he has gotten in Minnesota.

That said, there has to be a reason he was never really given the starting gig there.

If he gets the rock a lot in SF, and with the money they are paying one would have to think he will, he should be a decent RB2.

9ers reportedly got into a bit of a bidding war w the Jets. I think they overpaid, but we will see.

In ppr I think he will be a very good rb2.

He's moving up my list.

Does anyone here think McKinnon can be a work horse every down rb for SF? I'm getting a Lamar Miller to Houston vibe. He's getting his chance to shine. In the end he ends up being kind of blah. Not bad but not really good either.

guys, just so you dont misunderstand what I was saying about McKinnon.

I dont question his talent as a player.

but given what he has done, I question the amount of money thrown at him.

do you seriously think there were that many teams liining up to pay him huge money that they couldnt afford to offer him less and still get him?

I guess that's my point.

its not the signing I'm opposed to, its the dollar value of the signing that I didnt like. In a salary cap league, you cant afford to give people stupid amounts of money. you just cant.

Linguine 4:9 (Pastafarian Bible)

guys, just so you dont misunderstand what I was saying about McKinnon.

I dont question his talent as a player.

but given what he has done, I question the amount of money thrown at him.

do you seriously think there were that many teams liining up to pay him huge money that they couldnt afford to offer him less and still get him?

I guess that's my point.

its not the signing I'm opposed to, its the dollar value of the signing that I didnt like. In a salary cap league, you cant afford to give people stupid amounts of money. you just cant.

Linguine 4:9 (Pastafarian Bible)

The Jets went up to $7M/season with him and another team bowed out at around $6.5M if memory serves.

Does anyone here think McKinnon can be a work horse every down rb for SF? I'm getting a Lamar Miller to Houston vibe. He's getting his chance to shine. In the end he ends up being kind of blah. Not bad but not really good either.

I think he can be better then my Miller, but I don't think he will a work horse type, more value in ppr leagues.

But enough work too make him a high rb2 in ppr leagues.

Proverbs 24.