Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Should parents spank their kids?

I don't want my kids thinking it's ok if someone that loves them can hit them no one should hit them. But I have slapped a hand, but only for things concerning safety.

I look at it this way.. of you raise your kids right by the time they are teens the fear of letting you down should way outweigh the thrill of getting away with something.

You don't get that by making your kids fear you

We have two methods in the MD house.

For general disrespect or not listening... Stand in a corner for 3 minutes holding a book or small weight over your head. Talking or complaining adds another minute.

That's torture. :nono: Why don't you just waterbored the little focker. :o

• Like 1

Well fock, now I gotta rethink my position...

:(

:unsure:

I don't want my kids thinking it's ok if someone that loves them can hit them no one should hit them. But I have slapped a hand, but only for things concerning safety.

Right. Think about all the focked up messages sent when a dad hits his kid.

My dad told me it's not ok to hit people, but he hits me.

My dad told me if someone hits me, tell an adult to make them stop. But my dad is an adult, and he didn't stop hitting me when I told him to.

My dad told me that if someone hits me, I can hit them back. But my dad didn't like it when I hit him back.

My dad told me that anyone who hits me isn't a good person. I guess my dad's not a good person.

My dad said anyone who stands by and lets someone hit you isn't your friend. I guess my mom's not my friend.

My dad says he hits me cuz he loves me. I guess it's ok to hit the people I love.

I took a few. My uncles actually had to shut down my Dad before I was born. At least get him to slow his roll.

He shoulda beat his ###### of a wife. Woulda done her some good.

Done effectively once or twice and followed up on, that's all you'll ever need.

Same reason Steven King books are way better than the movies;

The Threat, the Imagined/Perceived threat is always more powerful than the real thing.

But you need that very real Bogey Man. This time out crap is f'ing retarded.

"Gee Dad, you mean I have to go upstairs to my 55 inch TV and play COD for half an hour?" WAAAAH!!!!!

If you're throwing a beating every Friday night, you're not only a shiitty parent, but you've got a F'ing problem.

I have not spanked my kid (7yo) yet. So far he's a pretty good kid and other punishments are effective. Can't say that will last forever though.

I only know of one friend that spanks his son. His son is also the worst behaved of all my friends children. Not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg...

Depends on the kid.

Some kids dont require it.

Most kids do.

Some kids need to actually get hit.

I teach in a very expensive boarding school. 8th and 9th grade 13-15 yo. At least half of my students do nothing all day long. They sleep. They throw things. In spite of the fact that they have been studying English for the better part of a decade, more than 20 hours a week, they cannot ask me to go to the bathroom in English. About a quarter of them cannot successfully read and pronounce the 26 letters of the alphabet.

Most of the teachers are afraid of them, as their parents are rich, which in china, often means party connected. They have on more than one occasion asked me DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS? I CAN GET YOU FIRED!

If I were allowed to, I would blast several in the face every single day. They badly need it. They have sh!t attitudes and if you try to punish them in any other way, they pretty much tell you to go fock yourself.

I see this all the time in America too. Hell, my niece and nephew are good kids, but even so, if my brother and I had popped off like my nephew does, it would have been ugly.

Fear is a useful parental tool. People today have instilled their kids with the notion that their opinion matters. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I was babysitting my niece once. She was throwing a tantrum about some crap she wanted. I explained to her that she is a child, and thus, I dont really give a crap what she wants. When she earns something herself, then she can have an opinion.

Lots of ignorance in this thread.

People who believe "sparing the rod spoils the child" typically dismiss the enormous body of research showing that hitting children turns them into angry, resentful adults with psychological and emotional problems. A large meta-analysis of studies on the effects of punishment found that the more physical punishment children receive, the more defiant they are toward parents and authorities, the poorer their relationships with parents, the more likely they are to report hitting a dating partner or spouse. They are also more likely to suffer mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, and substance abuse problems, and less likely to empathize with others or internalize norms of moral behavior.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/good-thinking/201409/is-what-happens-when-you-hit-your-kids%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/201309/research-spanking-it-s-bad-all-kids%3famp

In a new article, Spanking and Child Development: We Know Enough Now to Stop Hitting Our Children, Elizabeth Gershoff reviews recent research on spanking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/research/hitting-kids-american-parenting-and-physical-punishment/amp/

It is also worth noting that the U.S. is relatively unusual in terms of attitudes, prevalence, and legal sanctions. Hitting children is more culturally acceptable in American than in many other nations not only by parents, but by teachers (corporal punishment in schools is still permitted in 19 states). In many nations, physical punishment of children has now been outlawed, even for parents. In the table below, we summarize the legal position with regard to hitting children in a selection of counties.

• Like 1

Lots of ignorance in this thread.

People who believe "sparing the rod spoils the child" typically dismiss the enormous body of research showing that hitting children turns them into angry, resentful adults with psychological and emotional problems. A large meta-analysis of studies on the effects of punishment found that the more physical punishment children receive, the more defiant they are toward parents and authorities, the poorer their relationships with parents, the more likely they are to report hitting a dating partner or spouse. They are also more likely to suffer mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, and substance abuse problems, and less likely to empathize with others or internalize norms of moral behavior.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/good-thinking/201409/is-what-happens-when-you-hit-your-kids%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/201309/research-spanking-it-s-bad-all-kids%3famp

In a new article, Spanking and Child Development: We Know Enough Now to Stop Hitting Our Children, Elizabeth Gershoff reviews recent research on spanking.

Honestly, it should be viewed as the last resort. But it is a tool that needs to be in the bag.

Some kids, thats the only consequence they respect. My brother was one of those.

Yeah. If you do the other things correctly, most kids will likely never need it, or only once or twice. The threat of it will be enough to keep them in line.

But if you let things start to get out of control, as many parents do, its one of the only ways to bring things back in some cases.

Honestly, it should be viewed as the last resort. But it is a tool that needs to be in the bag.

Some kids, thats the only consequence they respect. My brother was one of those.

Yeah. If you do the other things correctly, most kids will likely never need it, or only once or twice. The threat of it will be enough to keep them in line.

But if you let things start to get out of control, as many parents do, its one of the only ways to bring things back in some cases.

Get back to me when you have kids of your own.

eta: your situation is unique in that you deal with sh!tty kids all day every day. Believe me when I say there are dozens of kids around here who Id like to punch, but i could never hit my own kids.

Personally, I had my ass beat. Also had things taken away. Its all about the appropriate level of punishment and the age of the child.

I used to get my arse beat regularly, and I was a pretty angry kid, constantly getting into fights, but it did serve me well in the Marines

Young kids don't have a clue what respect is. They know FEAR of focking up if you instill it. Respect comes later if you did your job as a parent.

Only if they want them to end up angry and bitter like all of the guys who were hit in this thread...

Only if they want them to end up angry and bitter like all of the guys who were hit in this thread...

Obvious projecting, you should get that looked at.

Yes, they need to learn. Everyone I know who had multiple kids said they wouldnt spank, but people need it to be honest. Kids are terrors and if they dont fear, they dont respect.

Im not 100% anti spanking but I think parents use it way more than is necessary and mostly do it out of anger, not to teach a lesson.

I have spanked my kids. Multiple occasions. Usually when they were mouthy and disrespectful. They also got soap in there mouth when they wanted to try swear words out.

I have spanked my kids. Multiple occasions. Usually when they were mouthy and disrespectful. They also got soap in there mouth when they wanted to try swear words out.

Maybe you should threaten to feed em alive to your snake.

My sister never needed to get spanked and she was fine, never acted out. I acted like a typical rowdy boy from about 10-13, the only thing that made me second guess doing something I shouldnt was the fear of my dad whacking me upside my head, nothing else scared me. Some kids need it some dont.