Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

I think FFT has been banned in China...

I can no longer access without a VPN from my wireless data (China Unicom). Still can at home though, but that internet is a different company (Great Wall Communications).

Apparently this low rent place has finally triggered the attention of the commie censors.

My VPN is off right now but this is a troubling sign. I've had sites go out on me that I can only access with a VPN.

Pretty shiity treatment given that Trump just saved their commie spy industrial Communication Company ZTE.

Now how am I going to promote my new live show.? It is a Magic Mike spinoff called

10 men in Tiananmen.!

Tanks a Lot.

You two are solely responsible for getting fft banned in Chiner?? Mike's going to be pissed. That's over a billion people you just removed from his customer base

But seriously, do you have to be more careful with what you say? How does this work?

You two are solely responsible for getting fft banned in Chiner?? Mike's going to be pissed. That's over a billion people you just removed from his customer base

But seriously, do you have to be more careful with what you say? How does this work?

I am not privy to the inner workings of the cyber gestappo, but they regularly block pretty much anything that allows mass interaction. Reddit, all social media, most sites that also have a forum (chess.com for example).

If I had to guess, perhaps we finally between the two of us pushed enough traffic that it hit their list. I dunno.

No, if it was an issue of WHAT was said, things like the forbidden topics, they wouldnt just block, theyd deport me (I dont think volty can be deported, since he has a wife and kids.)

Whats odd is that its blocked on my wireless but not my WiFi. Ive never seen that happen before. But Ive flipped back and forth. No VPN, no FFT. Maybe China Unicom has more sensitive software.

I wonder this too, and what happens if you guys get caught using a VPN? No rice for a week or public flogging?

*cue music* Great Wall Communications, now with over one hundred accessible websites!!

I bet they're pissed off that I cracked the code on the whole fragrance meat thing.

I knew it was you.

I wonder this too, and what happens if you guys get caught using a VPN? No rice for a week or public flogging?

*cue music* Great Wall Communications, now with over one hundred accessible websites!!

I have seen stories of late in Beijing where people have been seen on Facebook by cops at the bus stop or airport or whatever. I dont really know what they do to be honest.

There was a rumor for a while that when you pay for your residence permit here in Shenzhen, they ask for your phone and look and see if you have a vpn app on it. I, having heard the rumor, brought my money in cash rather than paying with my phone as I normally would. But it turned out to be bullsh!t.

The only time Ive ever had an authority ask for my phone was at the Beijing airport. I was in the exit customs thing, and I took a photo of the massive crowd. Apparently that was a no photo zone. Some goon asked for my phone. I told him no. He b!tched about the no photo thing. So I told him Id delete it in front of him, but Im not giving him my phone. I did so, and he focked the hell off.

Beijing obviously is kind of the mother ship for all the psycho crap. Volty and I each live very very far from there fortunately.

As a general rule, they dont really care if we foreigners use vpn or access blocked sites. They do care if Chinese people do. They purge their own App Store of any vpn apps. We all use the one from the free world. They do care about foreigners running their mouths about forbidden topics (Taiwan, Tibet, mao, minorities, religion, etc) on Chinese social media, and people have been deported for that.

I have quit many groups on there because people keep saying dumb sh!t and its a matter of time before they get caught.

Still signed in with my VPN off. Hopefully they never get around to blocking me.

Could it have to do with this being a football site and gambling being legalized? Even though this isn't a gambling site they might classify it as "related" to gambling or something.

Or maybe they consider Wiff and sho potential terrorists and don't want the Chinese people exposed to their sort of propaganda.

I doubt 2 users is raising any red flags. Its probably a new firewall that blocks message boards. My work blocks the message boards but not the front page and articles.

I am not privy to the inner workings of the cyber gestappo, but they regularly block pretty much anything that allows mass interaction. Reddit, all social media, most sites that also have a forum (chess.com for example).

If I had to guess, perhaps we finally between the two of us pushed enough traffic that it hit their list. I dunno.

No, if it was an issue of WHAT was said, things like the forbidden topics, they wouldnt just block, theyd deport me (I dont think volty can be deported, since he has a wife and kids.)

Whats odd is that its blocked on my wireless but not my WiFi. Ive never seen that happen before. But Ive flipped back and forth. No VPN, no FFT. Maybe China Unicom has more sensitive software.

How do your Chinese friends feel about the censorship?

How do your Chinese friends feel about the censorship?

The vast majority are lemmings. They parrot the government line. That being that such censorship is necessary to protect China, both from cyber attack and from pernicious outside influence. They often refer to a Chinese intranet rather than the internet.

Of course, I also know many that use a vpn and hate such policies. Those are the ones I tend to be friends with.

That is pretty much how it is here though. They have seperate everything. Your visa or MasterCard is useless here. And you cannot get one here. Moving money in or out of the country in any sizeable sum is an enormous pain in the ass.

The word china or Chinese is not a Chinese world. They call themselves 中国 or 中国人zhong guo and zhong guo ren, which literally translates into middle country and middle country people. It goes back to that whole notion that China is the Middle Kingdom between heaven and the other, barbarous, lesser nations. I think to some degree they still believe that.

Now obviously they consume our movies, our clothes, our soda and food, and all of that. But the government is skilled at stoking nationalism for its own ends. You see stories like celebrating Christmas is banned for locals, sh!t like that.

I honestly dont know how much longer life will be tenable here. Im hoping to make it another five years or so, by which time I should be nicely set up to semi retire to the Philippines. But if some incident were to happen between the US and China, I could be forced to flee ASAP.

Are there any radical muslims or crazy sjw types there?

Do they have tranny bathrooms?

SJW? No. Well, except some expats.

Radical Muslims? Probably out west in the Muslim province, I dunno.

Tranny bathrooms? They barely have regular bathrooms. Feel free to sh!t in the street, you wont be the only one.

• Like 1

Tranny bathrooms? They barely have regular bathrooms. Feel free to sh!t in the street, you wont be the only one.

I've not ever needed to do that except the one time I was in extreme duress on an inter-city bus which was my own fault for not going before I left.

How do they always have facilities in the backwards places I've been and not in your modern cities?

I've not ever needed to do that except the one time I was in extreme duress on an inter-city bus which was my own fault for not going before I left.

How do they always have facilities in the backwards places I've been and not in your modern cities?

They have them. Just not enough. The enormous shopping mall that is six stories and stretches for several blocks will have one. Good luck finding it.

The metro stations have one, sometimes, not all. But only one, and each exit can be damn near a mile apart.

Most stores and restaurants don't have them at all.

And of course, this being China, the ones that exist are focking filthy. My school put a swinging glass door at the entrance to the bathrooms to keep the stench contained. Walking in there will make you gag.

I've never sh!t in the street here. Used to p!ss in the street in Zhengzhou regularly. Don't do that here in Shenzhen though.

They have them. Just not enough. The enormous shopping mall that is six stories and stretches for several blocks will have one. Good luck finding it.

The metro stations have one, sometimes, not all. But only one, and each exit can be damn near a mile apart.

And of course, this being China, the ones that exist are focking filthy. My school put a swinging glass door at the entrance to the bathrooms to keep the stench contained. Walking in there will make you gag.

I've never sh!t in the street here. Used to p!ss in the street in Zhengzhou regularly. Don't do that here in Shenzhen though.

Why is the stench so bad? Do they not believe in cleaning the bathrooms?

Why is the stench so bad? Do they not believe in cleaning the bathrooms?

Basically yeah.

In public places like train stations, theyll throw a few moth balls in the mix occasionally. The scent of moth balls and urine will always say China to me. I think they lack ventilation as well, since central air doesnt exist. I dunno.

They dont really have janitors in the school. The kids take the trash cans to the central garbage can. They do all the sweeping and mopping (badly, I might add).

Even in really nice restaurants and shopping malls, the bathrooms always reek here. And there usually isnt toilet paper either.

Chinese people are super anal about the cleanliness of their homes. But public spaces? Nobody gives a fock.

Seems odd given the historical Collective zeitgeist.

Are you sure you're in China? You might be in Burma. If not, possibly Myanmar.

Then again, it sounds a lot like fish town.

hhey I think shenzen was what the family was trying to say when I asked where they were going next summer :dunno:

hhey I think shenzen was what the family was trying to say when I asked where they were going next summer :dunno:

Really? If so, its very safe here. This city if only 30 years old. Very modern. Hong Kong is right across the border. Guangzhou is not far. A lot to see in this area.

They would have said shenjen. Thats how its pronounced.

My VPN is off right now, still no change to report here as to FFT access.

Likly my last update on it unless FFT DOES get blocked.

So what is the word on the street in China with regards to the US-NK summit?

US MSM is rooting for failure and nuclear war.

How is the Chinese media spinning it?

How about the Chinese people?

So what is the word on the street in China with regards to the US-NK summit?

US MSM is rooting for failure and nuclear war.

How is the Chinese media spinning it?

How about the Chinese people?

To be honest, I have no idea. I havent seen any media on it in English, and I cant understand the other kind.

As for people on the street, you have to understand, my interaction with Chinese people is pretty minimal. Whatever chatter the hens in my office, which I spend less than an hour a week in, babble. Buying from convenience stores. Thats about it.

They dont usually talk politics here much though. Its not the kind of thing that is generally a good idea here. And whats the point anyway? Its not like they have even the fictitious say in the matter that we do.

It will end up getting spun however Beijing feels like spinning it. If they find it useful to play the America bad angle, thats what theyll do. I venture to guess How trump plays the tariff game out will have a role in that.

• Like 1

Now how am I going to promote my new live show.? It is a Magic Mike spinoff called

10 men in Tiananmen.!

Starring Wiff as Tiananmen.

• Like 1