Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Lamar Jackson, Ravens

Baltimore provided some potential foreshadowing for this pick when it signed Robert Griffin III recently. I didn't put Jackson as my top-ranked quarterback because I feared a team might draft him in a panic, but this is a good landing spot for him in that he will not be rushed with a serviceable veteran like Joe Flacco around. With that said, Flacco has been a replacement-level starter ever since Baltimore's last Super Bowl run and does not present much of an obstacle for Jackson when the coaching staff determines he is ready, likely no later than the start of the 2019 season. The 2016 Heisman Trophy winner's accuracy is a bit hit-or-miss, but he's a much better and more accurate passer than most give him credit for because it is too easy to pigeonhole him as a "running quarterback". To that end, Jackson is an incredible athlete and is best-suited for a wide-open attack similar to the one Bill O'Brien created for Deshaun Watson last season. Because he figures to be an annual threat for 600-plus rushing yards, Jackson should be the first quarterback off the board in rookie drafts. His redraft value is a bit hazy at the moment, as the Ravens could easily use 2018 as a redshirt year to further work on his fundamentals behind Flacco. If he finds the lineup due to an injury to Flacco, his running ability alone could make him a potential QB1 in 12-team redraft leagues.

Of all the picks, watching him develop his game in the NFL might be the most interesting.

I keep seeing the justification of drafting Lamar Jackson based on what Deshaun Watson did with Houston. Being a Clemson fan I saw a lot of both QB's. The difference between the two is significant in my opinion. Deshaun was far more likely to use his legs to keep plays alive. Jackson made two reads, then ran. It's true that both have some accuracy issues and that Watson had a much better receiving group to work with, but I never really saw Jackson willing to manipulate a pocket in order to keep passing options alive. Watson would do that. Now Jackson is a far better runner than Watson so in the college game that might have made sense then, but that will get him killed in the NFL.

His game reminds me more of Mike Vick's that Watson's. I'm not saying he can't be an NFL QB, but from what I've seen, the passing game will have to be scaled back for him to be successful because plays that have 3-4 options will never materialize.

I do think he could be really intriguing dynasty option.

I keep seeing the justification of drafting Lamar Jackson based on what Deshaun Watson did with Houston. Being a Clemson fan I saw a lot of both QB's. The difference between the two is significant in my opinion. Deshaun was far more likely to use his legs to keep plays alive. Jackson made two reads, then ran. It's true that both have some accuracy issues and that Watson had a much better receiving group to work with, but I never really saw Jackson willing to manipulate a pocket in order to keep passing options alive. Watson would do that. Now Jackson is a far better runner than Watson so in the college game that might have made sense then, but that will get him killed in the NFL.

His game reminds me more of Mike Vick's that Watson's. I'm not saying he can't be an NFL QB, but from what I've seen, the passing game will have to be scaled back for him to be successful because plays that have 3-4 options will never materialize.

I do think he could be really intriguing dynasty option.

I agree with pretty much every thing you said, except that Jackson doesn't manipulate a pocket to keep passing options alive. I did a profile on him that says otherwise and have plenty of examples if memory serves.

Of all the picks, watching him develop his game in the NFL might be the most interesting.

...and entertaining. The Ravens just made sure that they will continue the offensive fantasy production for another 5 years at least. Total wasteland.

This is the type of guy you draft in dynasty and after about 5 games, you find the schlep in your league and dump him on them for 2 - 1st rounders. That's when the DCs wake up and discover that his game film is identical to Bob Griffin The Terd's and all you do is cover receivers 1 on 1 and dedicate the rest to stopping him from running. Game over.