Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Meetings

Got to love the excess of meetings that people schedule throughout the work day, with no regards for other people's time.

It's 10:25, and the 10am meeting is just now beginning- finally.

Fock me.

Got to love the excess of meetings that people schedule throughout the work day, with no regards for other people's time.

It's 10:25, and the 10am meeting is just now beginning- finally.

Fock me.

I had a boss like that once, we'd go over every damn meeting every damn time. A few times it would be around 630 when they'd finally end.. "You guys want to grab a bite?" Or he'd ask us to go for a drink.. Especially to the guys like me who don't have kids, yeah I know I don't have kids but I still want to go home..

My job here is like that. We have a weekly lesson planning meeting every Friday at 1:30. When it is over, we are done for the day. It usually wraps around 3:30. This meeting is an utter waste of time. It is basically everybody reading their plans out so that the barely English speaking assistants can understand it, which they don't need to or care to anyway.

One day, I had a plane ticket out of town at 7:30. No problem.

That was the day the Singaporean woman who is our boss wanted to do "phonics training." This is when she, who speaks with a heavy Asian accent, teaches those of us who speak perfect English from the cradle how to pronounce English words. Was supposed to start this sh!t at 3:30. Didn't show up til four and babbled for an hour.

I made that flight by a ###### hair.

Ugh. Don't get me started on pointless meetings. You've never had pointless meetings until you've been in the military. "Let's bring everyone in for a mandatory briefing to go over the results of this survey". "Everyone needs to come in for another sexual assault briefing even though we have had 2 already this month". And you would think each person speaking would have something different to say right? Wrong. "Just to piggyback off what the commander said..." Is literally in every briefing. Same sh1t, different mouth.

You should know going into every meeting exactly what you are looking to get out of it. Otherwise you are just wasting your time

You should know going into every meeting exactly what you are looking to get out of it. Otherwise you are just wasting your time

Each meeting needs an agenda. I can't stand meetings where we just give updates. I ask all of my folks to give me their updates in a shared location. They can all read each other's updates and I can get an understanding of everything going on. So, in our meetings, I only want to go through the items that require a decision to be made by all of the people there. If someone needs to be informed, then they can do that on their own time. No need to waste everyone's time.

I hate meetings such a waste of time. Who cares what other people are doing if I want to know I will ask them.

I remember at Enron it was a sword fest. Much like Bill Clinton's reputation, it was a matter of how "important" you were as to how late you could be. Note to all; EVERY senior member had to sign off on EVERY major deal. So much for Skilling saying he had no idea what was going on. EVERYONE had to sign off on major deals.

I got my ass chewed for following the rules of college. If the Professor was more than 15 minutes late, you left. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, it was just wasted time. And I had work to do and other meetings to attend.

I literally got called back to a meeting for that and chewed out. To me, it was literally a waste of money, resources and time (imagine those salaries combined just making small talk for 30 minutes.)

Oddly (actually not) enough, when Enron hired the former Defense Secretary, that practice ended.

Gee, god knows why that company went tiits up.

Complete waste of time. Another reason being a sales rep is the only career choice for me. I am a lone wolf. No meetings, no office politics, no potluck luncheons, NO BS just hustle.