Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

How many of you won't have a job in ten years?

Good thing about accounting and auditing and research.

As long as people fock up...auditing will be a profession.

Grandpa and my step dad had the kinds of jobs two that just aren't going away. Funeral director and a barber. Its also why in a small town it was impossible to go out to eat some place where they didn't know most people in the restaurant.

I can imagine both jobs being automated. Look up a haircut online, and the robot recreates it. And just like weddings, the majority of funerals go by the same basic script.

Several countries are already rolling out some form of "universal basic income", as it's only a matter of time before we become redundant.

Healthcare personnel is always going to be needed. So I'll be safe. I feel bad for people who do construction and that type of stuff cause they are making things that make it easier. Hell they are already 3D printing houses that are both cheaper and faster than normal building procedures. It's only a matter of time before they cut humans out completely

Several countries are already rolling out some form of "universal basic income", as it's only a matter of time before we become redundant.

Link? Only thing I know about is, IIRC, Sweden doing a small pilot of such a program. If there are actually countries doing it I'd like to read about it.

Healthcare personnel is always going to be needed. So I'll be safe. I feel bad for people who do construction and that type of stuff cause they are making things that make it easier. Hell they are already 3D printing houses that are both cheaper and faster than normal building procedures. It's only a matter of time before they cut humans out completely

Hope you're kidding. Maybe in research. Docs are already using things like Watson for diagnosis. Only a matter of time til some idiot hooks up a couple of sensors and the computer does the rest. Heck, in 5 years I might hook up a couple of sensors myself and just say "Alexa, diagnosis my health" and my echo dot will tell me what's wrong. Surgeons are already using robots for surgery.

Hope you're kidding. Maybe in research. Docs are already using things like Watson for diagnosis. Only a matter of time til some idiot hooks up a couple of sensors and the computer does the rest. Heck, in 5 years I might hook up a couple of sensors myself and just say "Alexa, diagnosis my health" and my echo dot will tell me what's wrong. Surgeons are already using robots for surgery.

Yeah, most of medicine is pretty algorithmic, lending itself to automation. But the 5-10% of the time when it isn't, you'd prefer to have a human's problem solving.

Yeah, most of medicine is pretty algorithmic, lending itself to automation. But the 5-10% of the time when it isn't, you'd prefer to have a human's problem solving.

For now......

edjr already has a robotic prostate exam weekly.

That video confirmed what I'd heard about the transportation industry being the biggest employer in America.

Self-driving cars and trucks will put a lot of people out of work.

There will be a lot of human workers and time needed to develop and produce these vehicles before

they are out on the roads en masse though...and then we will move forward designing & developing the next-generation

of transportation after that.

No when it deals with human life you'd rather have a real life person. With medicine especially. Medicine is constantly changing and while doctors use robots for surgery that's only for some and you also need a human to control that robot. Too much can go wrong too quick in medicine for reasons that are unknown. Sure there are some things in medicine that robots could be used for but overall you'll always need humans for that job.

For now......

You may be right, but if you assume robots can learn, have a nearly infinite capacity for information, more precision and strength than humans, what job can't they replace?

You may be right, but if you assume robots can learn, have a nearly infinite capacity for information, more precision and strength than humans, what job can't they replace?

Good question. Eventually, not many. In my lifetime not jobs that require a lot of thought. Regarding Doctors, I think they can replace family practitioner types relatively quickly.

Good question. Eventually, not many. In my lifetime not jobs that require a lot of thought. Regarding Doctors, I think they can replace family practitioner types relatively quickly.

PAs and NPs are already doing that

PAs and NPs are already doing that

Yup. I expect that trend to continue and expand, with computers taking a larger role as time moves forward.

Automation in my industry is coming along slowly. It's quite common on the mfg side, but getting flooring products into the homes of the end user still requires humans for now.

I'll welcome robots to install flooring as soon as they become available and affordable.

I've got my eye on this stuff.

Link? Only thing I know about is, IIRC, Sweden doing a small pilot of such a program. If there are actually countries doing it I'd like to read about it.

Here's a list of countries that are either piloting it or have some sort of legislation being drafted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income_around_the_world#Basic_income_pilots

Finland - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/03/finland-trials-basic-income-for-unemployed

Macau - http://basicincome.org/news/2014/08/macau-government-distributes-temporary-basic-income/

India has a pilot - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income_in_India

A Cherokee tribe in the US is even trying it - http://www.demos.org/blog/1/19/14/cherokee-tribes-basic-income-success-story

etc. etc.

Not only am I planning on working in 10 years, I plan on being right in this same focking seat I am in today.

I hope to retire here.

Wow, that is depressing. I guess they call you a Settler.

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place!

Cool. I hope it succeeds and expands. India is an interesting one as they have a huge poverty problem. I was in Bangalore for three weeks and it was heartbreaking seeing these people daily.

Wow, that is depressing. I guess they call you a Settler.

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place!

edjr hasn't lasted 10 months in a job since he's been here, let alone 10 years. :dunno:

maybe they could make some unfunny redundant dooshbag robots to take all y'all places here

maybe they could make some unfunny redundant dooshbag robots to take all y'all places here

I could legitimately make a IFTTT bot of Sho and Newbie in probably less than 2 hours and no one here would ever know the difference.

I could legitimately make a IFTTT bot of Sho and Newbie in probably less than 2 hours and no one here would ever know the difference.

If you did that, maybe you'd get a raise all the up to $45k!!! Wow

Well yeah...anyone would be able to tell a robot pretending to be you...it would sound too intelligent.

If you did that, maybe you'd get a raise all the up to $45k!!! Wow

Well yeah...anyone would be able to tell a robot pretending to be you...it would sound too intelligent.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/wdjn-FB2c0-Nfwg3RkUZBDCP8-s/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2015/02/04/988/n/1922283/a642462ba287bf8b_funny-oh-burn-gif-Kelso/i/Every-time-he-enjoys-supersick-burn.gif

It's happening. All around us. Those little kiosks at TGI Fridays and similar restaurants, where you can order and pay by credit card, are slowly eliminating waiters/waitresses. Robots will do the same. Slick-looking salesmen will stroll into CEO's offices and show them a slick pie graph showing the savings in payroll. What percentage of them are going to pass on all that extra money in their pockets just because they want to remain loyal to their workers? 10% maybe? These things won't require downtime or overtime pay. The next industrial revolution will be the end of mankind.

i'm a ceo, so yeah

Here is my burning question, at what point does phasing out paying humans wages affect the economy, thus making businesses who phased out humans vulnerable of collapse from a lack of people with money to spend on their products?

I don't think I can be phased out since it takes something very dexterous to get into such tight spots. It also takes some really abstract thinking. BUT that doesn't mean there will be less need for us. That's why right now instead of traveling all over the country trying to make money, I am spending a ton of time at our training center trying to get as much knowledge under my belt as possible.

Here is my burning question, at what point does phasing out paying humans wages affect the economy, thus making businesses who phased out humans vulnerable of collapse from a lack of people with money to spend on their products?

I don't think I can be phased out since it takes something very dexterous to get into such tight spots. It also takes some really abstract thinking. BUT that doesn't mean there will be less need for us. That's why right now instead of traveling all over the country trying to make money, I am spending a ton of time at our training center trying to get as much knowledge under my belt as possible.

As I said before, the economy is circular. If I save enough money on labor installing flooring, I will make more profit, open more stores, and buy more from my suppliers, who will make more profit and so on.

So maybe robots will replace PAs and NPs first?

Like I said unless the robots are like what you were saying with the ability to learn, have unlimited intelligence, and be able to move like humans do then they won't ever replace humans in the medical world. Too much can go wrong too fast over the simplest of things. Hell nothing could even be happening for someone to just suffer a heart attack while walking down the hall. Now robots will DEFINTELY assist humans and be great tools for us but you need actual live humans at hospitals. Pharmacy techs and pharmacists though...those could be replaced by machines we have now

As I said before, the economy is circular. If I save enough money on labor installing flooring, I will make more profit, open more stores, and buy more from my suppliers, who will make more profit and so on.

If we are operating under the assumption that this video is accurate and there will be a shlt ton of people out of work, then you saving doesn't matter. You need income from customers... so if you are saving money on flooring because robots are doing the job, then odds are unemployment is at a low as hell level.

It doesn't mean you can't survive. It means your business is lucky/really good so it survives, or it means the unemployed are being handed some type of income from the gov.

you're assuming companies will fire people for robots.. I doubt in my lifetime. At least at my company.

Like it has never been done before. Auto industry anyone?

The robot scare is way overblown. Sure they'll replace some jobs, but others will also be created.

How many you work in the field of Information Technology?

That industry barely existed in the 80's and now look at it. There's an entire sub industry of IT recruiters out there trying to find people to fill thousands of job openings.

Plus, our economy is circular. A company saving in one area allows them to invest in others, and pay their employees and shareholders more. One guy's investment is another guy' income.

We should be more focused on how we can educate and train workers with the skills they'll need to perform in tomorrow's workplace.

Another real danger is the govt creating policy that kills long term, sustainable economic growth and job creation.

Pay employees more? That's a laugh.

It will merely accelerate our societies canibalism. The working class will become extinct. The rich will get richer.

Just more of the same but worse.

The robot scare is way overblown. Sure they'll replace some jobs, but others will also be created.

How many you work in the field of Information Technology?

That industry barely existed in the 80's and now look at it. There's an entire sub industry of IT recruiters out there trying to find people to fill thousands of job openings.

Plus, our economy is circular. A company saving in one area allows them to invest in others, and pay their employees and shareholders more. One guy's investment is another guy' income.

We should be more focused on how we can educate and train workers with the skills they'll need to perform in tomorrow's workplace.

Another real danger is the govt creating policy that kills long term, sustainable economic growth and job creation.

Mark Cuban has a different view. It's worth it the time to see his position.

Pay employees more? That's a laugh.

It will merely accelerate our societies canibalism. The working class will become extinct. The rich will get richer.

Just more of the same but worse.

tru . But the wealthy will need consumers. Their greed will eventually do them in.

tru . But the wealthy will need consumers. Their greed will eventually do them in.

It will do most of them in. Some will survive. It will be the ultra wealthy and then everyone else.

The other question, what is the purpose of people at that point. Unless everyone is donating their time to social stuff or contributing to the advancement of our society, which won't happen, then what do we do all day?

I'm in hi tech sales, so I'll be the last person who still has a job, convincing the bots to buy my robots over the other company's robots. :thumbsup: