Sign in to follow this  
edjr

We've tried the instant replay thing in sports. Can we go back to the way it was?

Seriously. What the hell is the league saying about yesterday's game and those horrible replay calls?

League has doubled down on the Jets call. Says there's absolutely no question replay got it right

League has doubled down on the Jets call. Says there's absolutely no question replay got it right

Protect the Shield

Oh. Sorry. :(

Umm, yeah prolly balls/strikes.

Dammit I was on a roll.

I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but it's going to be a lot easier to call balls and Strikes now that they added that little square right there on the player.

I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but it's going to be a lot easier to call balls and Strikes now that they added that little square right there on the player.

Yeah, but a person drew those lines. :headsplode:

If you axe IR - you're gonna have to axe a lol of the cameras too....... No way you can not have IR with the whole tv/internet watching world seeing what the cameras saw. The masses would flip out.

Also, axe the in-game manager interview.... We're watching the game, we know wsup - nobody gives a fock what they say anyways. :thumbsdown:

I thought you were messican? What's this axe shlt?

No we can't.

And here's why: instant replay was instated because we, the viewer, were getting all these replay looks in high definition. There's no longer any "well maybe from this angle" or "gee it kinda looks like" because now we get all angles in 1080p or better.

So back in the day you said "well the guy right there on the field definitely saw it better, we'll defer to him." No longer the case, or so people think.

That's why instant replay came into existence. Because literally the whole world could see something conclusively showing that the call on the field was wrong while the refs/umps could not.

'Course there have been unintended consequences as there always are. But we're stuck with them or you try to figure out a better replay system/protocol. But we ain't going back to the dark ages of SD and two cameras on the field.

this needs to be restated b/c it's a great point that is being missed everywhere by everyone talking about the Jets fumble.

I think we'd all like replay to be used simply to make sure a horrible call didn't stand... used as an insurance plan to help the refs overturn a call the was clearly wrong.

But now, we see EVERYTHING whether we want to or not... and the gray area of "where to use replay and where not to" is very, very gray... and it's lead to elaborate litigation over every single movement of the ball.

And here's what I mean.. I think that Jets call was horrible - no way that should have been a fumble / turnover / touchback... I've watched football my whole life and that makes no freakin' sense.

Then you slow it down in HD review... and you start examining EVERY movement of the ball and referencing tediously crafted rules and definitions of "what's a fumble", "what's a recovery", 'what is possession" and low and behold, by the letter of the law, it's the "right" ruling... or at the very least you have to concede how the rules can be interpreted that way... and it's rubbish... it's not within the "spirit" of the game and any fan/athlete knows it.

And the list of similar calls/rulings/debates can go on quite long now (Megatron's "catch").

What's the solution? Don't allow the networks to replay close/controversial plays? - 'cuz that won't fly either. This whole mess was made for the phrase, "opening Pandora's box"...

Only thing is add is the umps have to be consistent. If you're gonna call inside then call it both ways.

Umpire strike zones in my opinion can have a dramatic impact on the game and I'm cool with that.

I love watching pitchers trying to adjust when they realize they're not getting the corners today. Or hitters stretch to protect a wide zone.

Makes these guys pros.

No different than NFL or NBA deciding whether they will call incidental contact this week or let em play.

Just keep it even

I thought you were messican? What's this axe shlt?

:D

Another misuse of replay last night in the Cubs game.

5 umps standing around discussing whether a ball was fouled off, but they can't ask New York or even turn and look at the big screen.

They make the wrong call, and toss Maddon in the process.

Not a game changer since Davis struck out Granderson with the exact same pitch.

Whatever your views on replay, it's clear that this blend of detailed replay reviews and human judgement calls really isn't working.

Another terrible one was the play where Judge was on first, a fly ball was hit and Judge

ran on the hit ball and went around second but the ball was caught, so Judge scrambled back to first. He missed touching

the bag at second on his way back to first. The throw came back to first and Judge was called out.

Girardi challenged the call and it was reversed. Judge had beaten the throw. But while they were reviewing

that call, Houston was able to see that he missed touching second on the way back, and decided to do an appeal

play. They waited until play was resumed, and the pitcher turned and threw to second to appeal...

but since the Yankees knew he had missed the bag they told Judge to take off from first and attempt to steal

before the pitcher could throw to second on the appeal. He was tagged out at second. I think it went down as

a caught stealing after all that. All because the ump at first misssed the original call.

Another terrible one was the play where Judge was on first, a fly ball was hit and Judge

ran on the hit ball and went around second but the ball was caught, so Judge scrambled back to first. He missed touching

the bag at second on his way back to first. The throw came back to first and Judge was called out.

Girardi challenged the call and it was reversed. Judge had beaten the throw. But while they were reviewing

that call, Houston was able to see that he missed touching second on the way back, and decided to do an appeal

play. They waited until play was resumed, and the pitcher turned and threw to second to appeal...

but since the Yankees knew he had missed the bag they told Judge to take off from first and attempt to steal

before the pitcher could throw to second on the appeal. He was tagged out at second. I think it went down as

a caught stealing after all that. All because the ump at first misssed the original call.

Yeah. I saw that too. The replay both helped and hurt the Yankees cause. When play resumed, the Stros went for the traditional appeal by throwing to 2nd.

Loved how the ump was dead ass staring at the bag too. Couldn't moss it

Randy