Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

NFL television ratings fell 9.7 percent during the 2017 regular season, according to numbers registered by Nielsen.

A typical game was watched by 1.6 million fewer people this season as compared to last season (14.9 million versus 16.5 million).

The drop comes after the NFL had hoped to stem an 8 percent ratings slide from last season by experimenting with the format for television commercials and trying to speed up the game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21960086/nfl-television-ratings-97-percent-2017-regular-season

NFL television ratings fell 9.7 percent during the 2017 regular season, according to numbers registered by Nielsen.

A typical game was watched by 1.6 million fewer people this season as compared to last season (14.9 million versus 16.5 million).

The drop comes after the NFL had hoped to stem an 8 percent ratings slide from last season by experimenting with the format for television commercials and trying to speed up the game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21960086/nfl-television-ratings-97-percent-2017-regular-season

Going to drop even further once the new stupid ass "No lowering your helmet" rule takes effect... I still have no idea how in the hell they plan to officiate that.

Keep in mind that Netflix now has more paying subscribers in the US than all of the top cable TV companies, combined, as we exclusively reported earlier this year.

Teens (12-17) : 17.6% drop year-over-year (much larger than in Q1 2017) and a massive 45.5% contraction since 2012;
Older Millennials (25-34) 12.2% decrease year-over-year that was larger than Q1’s drop, along with a considerable 32.2% drop over 5 years;
Gen Xers (35-49) a 7% decline that continues to accelerate over time (Q1’s drop was 4.8%; Q4 2016’s was 1.6%), and representing a 15.8% contraction over a 5-year period;
Adults aged 50-64: down 1.8% year-over-year
Adults aged 65: down by 1.2% from the previous year

https://www.marketingcharts.com/featured-24817

It looks like NFL viewership is about average with the general TV viewership.

https://www.marketingcharts.com/featured-24817

It looks like NFL viewership is about average with the general TV viewership.

It was once above average? Isn't that what the networks paid all that money for, not average?

It was once above average? Isn't that what the networks paid all that money for, not average?

It is still the king of ratings, I did mistype what I meant.

The NFL drop in viewership is consistent with the drop of the viewership as a whole.

Other sports like nba are gaining viewers during this time. It is fair to place part, but not all of the blame on the NFL.

Stick a fork in the NFL!

Stick a fork in the NFL! Kaeperdick

If people can make bets on phones, especially in game bets, you will senthe same explosion of people watching that happened when fantasy was at its hight. Might be a good time to open a sports bar.

Supreme Court allows sports betting across the country

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-allows-sports-betting-across-country-n868956

This can only help TV ratings

agreed

The NBA has never in its 72-year history had a more successful regular season than it did in 2017-18, according to Forbes. Television ratings increased on each of four networks that broadcast games. Attendance records were broken. So were records for merchandise sold. The value of franchises was at an all-time high.

The NBA has never in its 72-year history had a more successful regular season than it did in 2017-18, according to Forbes. Television ratings increased on each of four networks that broadcast games. Attendance records were broken. So were records for merchandise sold. The value of franchises was at an all-time high.

Fake news, ratings are down across the board. I read that here.

Oh good, because this thread hasn't gone on long enough.

This guy..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NBA had finals? When? I was watching the Stanley Cup

stanley who?

Less people are watching the NFL than before. NFL ratings are up!

Im confused, do you guys actually like football or not? I thought this was a fantasy football forum.

Looks like TV ratings are down across the board and NFL ratings as a share of TV viewership is actually up:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/for-the-last-time-nfl-ratings-are-not-down-theyre-up-1827378925/amp

Comparing programmed broadcasts with live broadcasts is very deceptive.There are dozens of options for programmed TV without commercials and with better content. This is not true of live TV. Why was there no comparison to other live broadcasts?

The NFL was always untouchable, the top dog in TV ratings but now they Lumped in with all the other crap.

NBA RATINGS UP NEARLY 30 PERCENT ON ESPN, TNT

As the NFL weathers another season of ratings declines, TV's No. 2 sports league is enjoying year-over-year lifts with fans in the demographic most coveted by advertisers.

According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, National Basketball Association telecasts on ESPN and TNT together are currently averaging 2 million viewers per game, up 15 percent compared to the year-ago draw of 1.74 million.

http://adage.com/article/media/nba-ratings/311486/

Edited by Baker Boy

Im confused, do you guys actually like football or not? I thought this was a fantasy football forum.

most of us have been over the ff thing for at least a decade.

but it is fun to hang out here and make fun of gungho newbs with rosters in their sigs.

Footballs popularity drops

Overall, the poll found, the number of people who say they follow the NFL has declined sharply since 2014. In January, 49 percent of those polled said they follow the league closely. In January of 2014, the follow closely figure was 58 percent. Thats a 9-point drop.

But look closer at the numbers and there is a strong racial component to the decline: its being driven by white Americans.

Since 2014, the number of African Americans and Hispanics saying they follow the professional football closely has remained flat, according to the poll. But among whites, the number is down 12 points from 59 percent in 2014 to 47 percent in 2018.

And digging deeper, gender plays an enormous role. Among white men, the follow closely number has declined an astonishing 22 points, from 69 percent in 2014 to 47 percent in 2018. Over that same time the follow closely number among women was unchanged at 47 percent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/super-bowl/concussions-protests-football-s-popularity-drops-n844506?cid=eml_pol_20180204

Maybe if football was more diverse white people would be more interested.

Maybe if football was more diverse white people would be more interested.

NBA ratings are up?

This.

I'm watching RedZone replays on Sundays :cry:

Crickets

I myself still love football. My perfect Sunday is sitting in the living room by the fire with my big screen on multi screen mode. Ill have the Redzone channel, CBS, Fox and NFL Network on. Since my wife is in a couples league with me she watches too. I love it.

If Iowa is away we will do the same on Saturday for college football. Man, I love football season.

I miss football. One of the few things from home I really miss. I CAN watch the games here, but steaming them a day late just isnt the same.

Even before I left though, I wasnt as into it as I had been in the past. Part of that is probably the fact that both my college team (Tennessee) and pro team (Titans) had sucked for some time.

Ill watch Browns games if they are on. Interested in the changes they have made and hopefully they suprise some people.

I miss football. One of the few things from home I really miss. I CAN watch the games here, but steaming them a day late just isnt the same.

Even before I left though, I wasnt as into it as I had been in the past. Part of that is probably the fact that both my college team (Tennessee) and pro team (Titans) had sucked for some time.

I was less into football the past few years just due to time commitments and being a dad. I really got rewarded last season though and Im looking forward to it this year.

I thought the Titans were turning it around. How is Marriota?

I was less into football the past few years just due to time commitments and being a dad. I really got rewarded last season though and Im looking forward to it this year.

They are turning it around. Made the playoffs and won a game last year, even with a horrible coaching staff and a ridiculously outdated offensive system.

Mariota had a down year last year. Mostly due to the fact that the offense was absolutely not tailored to his strengths.

I think the team is gonna breakout this year. A zone blocking scheme is a much better fit for Henrys running style. Adding Lewis as a change of pace is a big upgrade over a hurt demarco Murray. Corey Davis has a year under his belt and looked to be figuring it out at the end last season.

Im tempted to pay for the NFL streaming package for the titans this season. But since the games are in the middle of the night, Id have to watch them the next day anyway.

Now my vols, theyre a focking train wreck.

Jets finally got a QB. Enjoy the season, you guys have been waiting on one forever.

"I never protest during the anthem, and I don't think that's the time or the venue to do so. The game of football has always brought me such peace, and I think it does the same for a lot of people..." "...When you bring such a controversy to the stadium, to the field, to the game, it takes away. It takes away from that, it takes away from the joy and the love that football brings a lot of people. - Dak Prescott

G-damn Cowboys. Why couldn't they be POS like the Eagles? Good for you JJ, much respect

G-damn Cowboys. Why couldn't they be POS like the Eagles? Good for you JJ, much respect

It's not popular with many I know (and even my parents) - but I applaud Jerry for his stance on this.

I've said over and over - I respect the cause, disagree with the forum.