Sign in to follow this  
joneo

Obama Presidential Center to cost taxpayers nearly $200M

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obama-presidential-center-to-cost-taxpayers-nearly-dollar200m-report/ar-AAyIC1y?li=BBnb7Kz

Public works projects around the Obama Presidential Center in Chicago could cost Illinois taxpayers nearly $200 million, The Washington Examiner reported Saturday.

Illinois approved a $224 million legislature budget earlier this month that included $174 million for road work near the presidential center and $50 million for the Garfield Gateway rail project two miles away, the report said.

The presidential center would sit in Chicago’s South Side neighborhood.

Some residents are worried about getting pushed out of their lower-income community because of the gentrification that could result from the center’s presence, The Examiner reported.

“Our streets run red with blood from gun violence even as nonprofits dedicated to violence prevention are woefully underfunded,” Rev. B. Herbert Martin, Sr. wrote in a letter to the Chicago Tribune last month. “Community members face eviction and displacement from their homes because of gentrification across our city.”

LOL... Chicago and Obama couldn't care less about taxpayers and displacing low income families.

Why the hell do they even need this? Dumbest waste of money there is. At least the Obama gas station I saw in Columbia let people get gas. This place offers nothing beneficial

So they're bitching because property values are going to go up?

Lol. So you'd rather keep the abandoned crack house instead of the half-million-dollar townhouse. Yeah, I got you.

notice that this guy wasn't bitching that there wasn't jobs, or they weren't working on infrastructure in the community. He was specifically bitching that these so-called nonprofits werent getting more free money on the government Dole to pay so-called Community activists like this guy.

Lol. So you'd rather keep the abandoned crack house instead of the half-million-dollar townhouse. Yeah, I got you.

Seems to me that 200 million $$ would be better spent on housing and feeding the people of the area. But hey, the Democrats are all for the poor. :rolleyes:

Seems to me that 200 million $$ would be better spent on housing and feeding the people of the area. But hey, the Democrats are all for the poor. :rolleyes:

Or doing absolutely nothing with it and having a surplus for once in my lifetime.

I don't get why people dislike gentrification.

If a magical pot of endless money appeared, I'd gentrify every square inch of Detroit, then gentrify it a second time to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time around.

Does anyone really think that bringing the obama presidential center to Chicago's south side is going to suddenly price people out of that area? No one is going to flock to gang infested south side Chicago to live.

Does anyone really think that bringing the obama presidential center to Chicago's south side is going to suddenly price people out of that area? No one is going to flock to gang infested south side Chicago to live.

Yes it will. Displacement based on property lines will occur.

are you kidding, it will be the hip new place to live for all these virtue signaling liberal douchebags

I don't get why people dislike gentrification.

If a magical pot of endless money appeared, I'd gentrify every square inch of Detroit, then gentrify it a second time to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time around.

Exactly. Wed always have some community activist type bitching about that in Houston.

Oh, so last month you were bitching that the community had abandon you and wasn't investing at all in your neighborhood.

But when it does..

Guaranteed if Obama had built this in one of the richer sections of Chicago these guys will be furious as well.

I'll guarantee you the guy doing the talking in this interview is basically just performing a shake town. He wants a buy off to stop bitching about this. That's how all those groups work. Up to and including Jesse Jackson's rainbow coalition.

oh, you want the marches and protest to stop? Well I'm sure with the proper donation to my charity..

are you kidding, it will be the hip new place to live for all these virtue signaling liberal douchebags

Fishstick Town

From what I've seen in my own experience, what's happening now is the people who are bitching are living rent-free. They are basically squatters. It's just not worth the hassle or bad publicity for property owners to go and bulldoze these people out of their homes.

So, they sit on the property until the neighborhood is up and coming. Then they have an excuse. No way the current residents can afford the new housing.

But like I said, these are the same people who if they don't do any infrastructure improvements in those neighborhoods too. You can't win with those people.

So this is to preserve the Obama Legacy? They'd be better off spending the $200 Million on attorney's fee to desperately save his Legacy from what he's facing.

Obammy should be the official spokesperson for irony.

Bringing prosperity to the biggest sh1thole part of a city in the US and snowflakes are whining that the "locals" won't benefit because the don't own any of the properties. And the only reason the "locals" even live there in the first place is because they were lured from the south 50 years ago and kept destitute to shore up voters rolls for eternity. That is an inconvenient truth that even Al Gore won't touch.

I love people using "Cost Taxpayers"

as if that's supposed to get people mad.

Let me know the next time my tax money is not being wasted, please.

I love people using "Cost Taxpayers"

as if that's supposed to get people mad.

Let me know the next time my tax money is not being wasted, please.

I was going to be a wise a$$ and post some examples of tax dollars not being wasted. Couldn't think of one example.

Tried googling "tax dollars not being wasted", all it threw at me was examples of $$ being wasted.

But like I said, these are the same people who ###### if they don't do any infrastructure improvements in those neighborhoods too. You can't win with those people.

DON'T TOUCH OUR SACRAED BRICKS!

I was going to be a wise a$$ and post some examples of tax dollars not being wasted. Couldn't think of one example.

Tried googling "tax dollars not being wasted", all it threw at me was examples of $$ being wasted.

:D