Sign in to follow this  
LunaTick

Who is the bigger bust than Johnny Football Manzel?

First name that comes to mind is Ryan Leaf.

Second realization is that on lists of worst picks by the Browns. Johnny is not mentioned.

But I think he should be.

Unlike Leaf, Johnny had multiple years of success and swagger in college. Leaf, like many a bust, happened to ride the quest of post season high visibility.

Whereas Johnny had an established track record.

All of this stated, there were obvious signs that Johnny was high risk and questionable ability.

But his decent into the depths of crapdom is the stuff of a Hollywood story line. Which way will this one go. Is he destine to where prison orange? Is he destined to follow Phillips?

All I have to say is, what a waste.

Russel and Leaf both had the talent to have good careers, but lacked the heart and mind to succeed.

I never believed that Manzel had the talent to succeed at the NFL level. Add to it he also lacks the heart and mind, and I do not ever see him playing in a NFL game ever again.

The Cleveland Browns and Jerry Jones believed in him.

A lot .

I don't see Johnny football as a bust , I see him as another mistake the Browns made .

Never saw him as a NFL caliber player .

Couch was pretty bad for a #1 overall pick. In fact, his many Brown "rookie QB records" were subsequently broken by (cough) Colt McCoy and (cough) Brandon Weeden.

He does have one notable distinction, however. He is the only NFL QB in league history to throw for two 50+ yard game winning TD passes with no time on the clock.

Couch and Weeden two more mistakes made by the Browns at the most important postion in the NFL.

Couch was pretty bad for a #1 overall pick. In fact, his many Brown "rookie QB records" were subsequently broken by (cough) Colt McCoy and (cough) Brandon Weeden.

He does have one notable distinction, however. He is the only NFL QB in league history to throw for two 50+ yard game winning TD passes with no time on the clock.

I really don't know how much you can blame Couch. Like David Carr in Houston, he just got murdered behind a terrible offensive line. In his first 2 and half years (missing half of year 2), he got sacked 117 times. Peyton didn't hit that mark until year 6.

In terms of a guy whose personal demons just ruined him Art Schliester

Guys who just didnt live up to their draft spot:

Charles Rogers

Vernon Gholston

Tony Mandarich

He was drafted ahead of Barry Sanders

And Derrick Thomas

And Deion Sanders .

How about the Bengals pick of David Klinger

How about Brian Bosworth

And Derrick Thomas

And Deion Sanders .

LOL i just figured out what you meant.

sheesh im thick ssometimes

I'd go with JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf over Johnny football. They were take overall #1 and #2.

• Like 1

Todd Marinovich deserves a special mention. He was bred to play football his entire life (father strapped weights on him as a baby).

Of course that breeding/pressure led to his failure.

This conversation begins and ends with JaCarcass Russell.

Idk. There were some people who thought he would bust. I never liked him coming out. I thought it was pretty obvious he wasnt an NFL qb. I think Young was a bigger bust.

I would agree about Vince Young .

Manziel was drafted 22 overall so it's hard to call him a bigger bust than high picks like Leaf, Jamarcus, Akili Smith or Vince Young. He wouldn't even be in the conversation if he wasn't such an ass hole.

• Like 1

Anybody mention Aaron Curry?

Hawks took him 4th overall, I believe.....and gave him 34 million in guaranteed money. Traded to the Raiders 2 years later for a 7th round pick.

Todd Marinovich deserves a special mention. He was bred to play football his entire life (father strapped weights on him as a baby).

Definitely a bust, but he did come back and have 2 or 3 decent years with Indy.

Manziel was drafted 22 overall so it's hard to call him a bigger bust than high picks like Leaf, Jamarcus, Akili Smith or Vince Young. He wouldn't even be in the conversation if he wasn't such an ass hole.

If the Browns didn't make another mistake on draft day .

Idk. There were some people who thought he would bust. I never liked him coming out. I thought it was pretty obvious he wasnt an NFL qb. I think Young was a bigger bust.

Busting on a number one overall pick can be a franchise killer. It set Oakland back years. I wanted the team to trade for Matt Schaub and draft Megatron.

Busting on a number one overall pick can be a franchise killer. It set Oakland back years. I wanted the team to trade for Matt Schaub and draft Megatron.

Though not as much now, with the rookie contracts being much smaller.

agreed.

if he was drafted at #1 he'd be in the conversation. but at 22? That's a tough argument to make.

big bust?

yeah.

biggest?

no.

Manziel was not a top 5 pick, he isnt as big a bust as anyone taken no.1 or even top 3.

Agree I don't see him as a bust .

He was simply a bad move once again made by the Browns .

Agree I don't see him as a bust .

He was simply a bad move once again made by the Browns .

I think the talent was (and still is) there.

but I think that talent has been overrun by the desire to be a party boy.

Where the Browns can be blamed is up for debate.

Did they do enough character/reference checks?

Did they handle him incorrectly?

Without observing this from inside the organization it's tough to say for sure where the Browns can be blamed. For all we know, his character references all checked out fine.

I agree, someone (Manziel) ultimately needs to take responsibility, but I dont see that happening. This is why he is considered to be a bust.

I think the talent was (and still is) there.

but I think that talent has been overrun by the desire to be a party boy.

Where the Browns can be blamed is up for debate.

Did they do enough character/reference checks?

Did they handle him incorrectly?

Without observing this from inside the organization it's tough to say for sure where the Browns can be blamed. For all we know, his character references all checked out fine.

I agree, someone (Manziel) ultimately needs to take responsibility, but I dont see that happening. This is why he is considered to be a bust.

Shame on the Browns even more so than if what you say is correct .

Manziel is the same person he was before he came into the NFL .

Once again shame on the Browns .

Saying it again they needed to draft a Qb this past draft .

They can't get it right either way .

I don't blame Johnny football at all for what he as been doing since becoming a NFL player .

It's who he has always been .

Until he repents and gives up everything he does he won't make it and he just doesn't care .

This conversation begins and ends with JaCarcass Russell.

This. A complete and total embarrassment. Ask any LSU fan and they would say the same. And LSU fans are fiercely loyal.

I once saw him stand on one knee on his own 20 and chuck the ball downfield to the ten yard line. He should have been the next Culpper. Had all the gifts of a future QB going places. Sad.

that was who i came in here to post.

Art Schlichter and Manziel are basically the same guy. Huge talents out of college, but loved drinking and gambling more than football.

Weepaws: I think CLE did take a QB, in the third round? Supposedly VERY accurate - Hue J. thinks he can develop him. Time will tell. If RG III can eat humble pie, instead of all those Subway sandwiches - maybe CLE got a QB for cents on the dollar?

Why does weepaws have such a boner for the Browns?

Did some Browns player piss in your wheaties, dude?

A Browns player would miss the bowl .

Browns two playoffs trips since 1994.

Browns have finished last in their divison 7 of the last 8 seasons .

Browns have a win lost record over the last eight seasons of 37-91 .

And they keep passing on drafting a Qb that they could develop into a starter .

Why do I keep kicking them , because they are a easy target and the fact is they are a very bad organization.

And they keep passing on drafting a Qb that they could develop into a starter .

To be fair, the best first round QB in the past decade the Browns passed on for another position? Tannehill.