Sign in to follow this  
BudBro

Illinois raises taxes on cigarettes...

another regressive tax...i guess you should tax the people that are causing the deficit though. poor, sickly cigarette smokers are taking the brunt of the shortfall to the medicaid program, which is where they get their health care. problem is, smokers are going elsewhere to buy their smokes. so, indiana and missouri get the boon of the sales and illinois gets to take care of the medical bills. illinois and cali are microcosms of how not to do things.

The Illinois General Assembly this spring raised the state cigarette tax by $1, to $1.98 per pack. The hike goes into effect June 24.

Illinois legislators voted earlier this year to raise the tax in order to help fill a $2.7 billion hole in the state's Medicaid budget.

But the tax increase could end up padding the coffers of states like Indiana and Missouri, instead-- or so retailers who sell tobacco in those states appear to be hoping.

As NBC Chicago reports, a Cook County, Illinois, cigarette tax hike earlier this year is to blame for an alleged 15 to 20 percent drop in business at one Illinois tobacco retailer, adding that Indiana sellers could substantially gain from the latest increase

neighboring missouri taxes cigarettes at $0.17 per pack, the lowest in the country. had illinois LOWERED the tax enough, smokers from indiana would purchase in illinois, which would add revenue where needed instead of reducing revenues. now, earl goes to indiana, buys a trunkload of smokes and sells them downtown for cash out of his trunk. now there is a myriad of tax revenues lost.

I love it. Us dumb, uneducated, poor, losers will outsmart the system you dumbfocks! I get so sick of this ######. I'm educated, have a good job, served my country, have health insurance, but I guess since I smoke I'm a loser at life....hmmmmm ok, I'll live with that. Just wait till they start taxing the shitt out of things you enjoy.

Some Chicago area smokers have been buying smokes in Indiana for years. I used to be one of them, but I still bought the vast majority of my smokes near where I lived/worked.

Most of these smokers aren't planning their lives around weekly cig runs across the border. They aren't that disciplined, plus they can't afford the gas.

I love it. Us dumb, uneducated, poor, losers will outsmart the system you dumbfocks! I get so sick of this ######. I'm educated, have a good job, served my country, have health insurance, but I guess since I smoke I'm a loser at life....hmmmmm ok, I'll live with that. Just wait till they start taxing the shitt out of things you enjoy.

:thumbsup:

Yet you still smoke, go figure. :dunno:

This isn't about stupidity or being a productive member of society. The two biggest preventable causes of disease are smoking and obesity. Who should bear the brunt of healthcare costs - nonsmoking people at a healthy weight? Everyone equally?

This isn't about stupidity or being a productive member of society. The two biggest preventable causes of disease are smoking and obesity. Who should bear the brunt of healthcare costs - nonsmoking people at a healthy weight? Everyone equally?

Ban smoking...

:dunno:

We all know why that won't happen.

There is a 3rd party cost to you smoking. As an educated person you should see if the general public has to finance cumulative medical bills that there is a harm caused to the public that ought to be mitigated

neighboring missouri taxes cigarettes at $0.17 per pack, the lowest in the country. had illinois LOWERED the tax enough, smokers from indiana would purchase in illinois, which would add revenue where needed instead of reducing revenues. now, earl goes to indiana, buys a trunkload of smokes and sells them downtown for cash out of his trunk. now there is a myriad of tax revenues lost.

this is basic economics. But sounds like mizzou was already $.75 cheaper.

Are people really going to drive to another state to avoid a 98 cent tax hike? :blink:

With the cost of gas being what it is, how many cartons would you have to buy before you broke even on that venture?

I guess maybe I could see it if you lived in some hick border town, but the vast majority of smokers will continue to purchase their cancer sticks in state.

The two biggest preventable causes of disease are smoking and obesity.

I would have to disagree with you there.

The 2 biggest preventable causes of disease are fagguts and obesity.

Are people really going to drive to another state to avoid a 98 cent tax hike? :blink:

With the cost of gas being what it is, how many cartons would you have to buy before you broke even on that venture?

I guess maybe I could see it if you lived in some hick border town, but the vast majority of smokers will continue to purchase their cancer sticks in state.

These are not the brightest people in the world you are talking about.

ing

:overhead: So you cannot see how someone could make some money here? This has been going on for decades. When I was in school in the 70s some "Native Americans" would go to the reservation to buy cigarettes tax free. They would then bring them to campus and sell them and they made good money doing it. I am sure they learned more about being an entrepreneur doing this than they did in class.

I don't know the area, but Google maps puts Chicago at less than 18 miles from the Indiana border. Not exactly a major trek.

ing

:overhead: So you cannot see how someone could make some money here? This has been going on for decades. When I was in school in the 70s some "Native Americans" would go to the reservation to buy cigarettes tax free. They would then bring them to campus and sell them and they made good money doing it. I am sure they learned more about being an entrepreneur doing this than they did in class.

Ofcourse some people will do that. The vast majority will just fork over the extra $$ and go about their stinky smelling day. You're trying to make the exception the rule.

I would have to disagree with you there.

The 2 biggest preventable causes of disease are fagguts and obesity.

###### or esp ( US ) fagot 1 (ˈfæɡət)

— n

1. a bundle of sticks or twigs, esp when bound together and used as fuel

2. a bundle of iron bars, esp a box formed by four pieces of wrought iron and filled with scrap to be forged into wrought iron

3. a ball of chopped meat, usually pork liver, bound with herbs and bread and eaten fried

4. a bundle of anything

You buy your smokes in bundles? :dunno:

ing

That's illegal. If you want to risk jail time over 98 cents, well that's your decision. But I think most people probably aren't willing to take that gamble.

I don't know the area, but Google maps puts Chicago at less than 18 miles from the Indiana border. Not exactly a major trek.

Let's do the math here. We're talking thirty six miles round trip. That's about two gallons of gas or 8 bucks. You have to buy 8 packs just to break even. Plus you're wasting your time driving back and forth.

Some people might do it, but the vast majority won't.

That's illegal. If you want to risk jail time over 98 cents, well that's your decision. But I think most people probably aren't willing to take that gamble.

Hehe.

I know, right. The jails down here are jammed with people selling cigs on the black market. :doh:

Your very, very weak case of being an attorney just took another huge hit, Perry. :P

You buy your smokes in bundles? :dunno:

fagguts cause aids.

fagguts cause aids.

I know you're playing Philly's advocate here, but worldwide, most HIV cases are acquired via heterosexual transmission. Regardless, the disease burden of smoking, especially in this country, dwarfs that of AIDS. Almost any cancer, emphysema, and vascular disease all are promoted by your stank habit.

So Why have we not taxed fast food, or snack food the way we do smokes? We have a horrible obesity problem in this country. Diabetes is a HUGGGGGGGE problem, but we dont mess with that, lets just fock with the smokers. Bullshiat I say.

Yes I do, its a choice I make. I know the risks....so be it.

Why should I pay more????? I have insurance. I pay into medicare and medicaid. I get hit twice as hard. Nevermind Im not obese or have any other problems outside I smoke.

Why should I pay more????? I have insurance. I pay into medicare and medicaid. I get hit twice as hard. Nevermind Im not obese or have any other problems outside I smoke.

We're the goose that keeps on giving... a small minority that pays out the wazoo for everything from healthcare to highways, yet still shunned as ignorant malcontents that drain the nations healthcare economy.

Think of how many programs are funded by increased cigarette taxes, then try to figure out where the tax money would come from without it.

If you anti-smoking fockers hate it so much, why don't you contact your congress rep and find out why he/she doesn't support a measure that outright bans smoking anywhere in the USA.

Why don't you fockers leave us smokers alone and start ragging on drunk drivers for a change? I can't remember the last time I've heard of an increased alcohol tax.

So Why have we not taxed fast food, or snack food the way we do smokes? We have a horrible obesity problem in this country. Diabetes is a HUGGGGGGGE problem, but we dont mess with that, lets just fock with the smokers. Bullshiat I say.

I'm all for that, too, but defining "fast" food is a bit more nebulous than a cigarette.

Cancer victims rarely are. HTH.

I'm not really playing Phillys advocate that much...Well mebbe just a little...Well mebbe alot :wall:

I'll continue then.

Most HIV cases now a days are transmitted hetro mainly because of the fagguts that transmitted their vile anti god death disease are dead already.

Except for Magic Johnson...go figure :huh:

I know for a fact that before some of them died, they wiped their dope smoking, semen encrusted weiners on many public toilet seats to get even with us. :mad:

Also, I do know, and have watched a frined die from complications from AIDS. Not a pretty sight :(

You have quite an imagination, only matched by your disdain for facts.

You have quite an imagination, only matched by your disdain for facts.

The fact is that I wish you didn't quote me. I was having drunken fun, attempting to be funny and after reading my post a few times afterwords realized that I failed at teh funny.

Oh well. Can't win them all

Douche

Nothing personal. It just speaks to the highly addictive nature of nicotine. Did you know lifetime smokers have a 50% chance of dying from an illness promoted by their habit? And you are concerned about the monetary cost of cigarettes? :wacko:

A vast majority of smokers live long, healthy, happy lives. Nothing wrong with the hobby. It's a stress reliever, so it lowers work related murder rates.

The most discriminated group in America is smokers.

Almost any cancer, emphysema, and vascular disease all are promoted by your stank habit.

I honestly have zero idea what you are talking about. The medical world hasno idea what causes cancer. But I can assure you that not almost every case of cancer is caused by smoking, as you are seemingly proposing. Lung disease? Quick, somebody yank all the lawyer commercials off the air that recruit victims of mesothelioma.

Nothing personal. It just speaks to the highly addictive nature of nicotine. Did you know lifetime smokers have a 50% chance of dying from an illness promoted by their habit? And you are concerned about the monetary cost of cigarettes? :wacko:

4 people a year die from cigarette related illnesses, mostly warehouse workers that had a crate of smokes fall on them off a forklift.

Yes I do, its a choice I make. I know the risks....so be it.

Would you want your kids to take up the habit of smoking cigarettes?

Of course I do. I work in the medical field also. One of the places I work at is an oncology facility.

Would you want your kids to take up the habit of smoking cigarettes?

Dont have kids, but if they started smoking at the legal age......want are you going to do. They are adults, and it's legal.

Dont have kids, but if they started smoking at the legal age......want are you going to do. They are adults, and it's legal.

Would you actively try to discourage your kids from ever taking up smoking?