Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Hand

Twitter Banning Things They Don't Want Others To See From Conservatives

https://www.projectveritas.com/2018/01/11/undercover-video-twitter-engineers-to-ban-a-way-of-talking-through-shadow-banning-algorithms-to-censor-opposing-political-opinions/

Steven Pierre, Twitter engineer explains “shadow banning,” says “it’s going to ban a way of talking” Former Twitter software engineer Abhinav Vadrevu on shadow banning: “they just think that no one is engaging with their content, when in reality, no one is seeing it” Former Twitter Content Review Agent Mo Norai explains banning process: “if it was a pro-Trump thing and I’m anti-Trump… I banned his whole account… it’s at your discretion” When asked if banning process was an unwritten rule, Norai adds “Very. A lot of unwritten rules… It was never written it was more said” Olinda Hassan, Policy Manager for Twitter Trust and Safety explains, “we’re trying to ‘down rank’… shitty people to not show up,” “we’re working [that] on right now” “Shadow banning” to be used to stealthily target political views- former Twitter engineer says, “that’s a thing” Censorship of certain political viewpoints to be automated via “machine learning” according to Twitter software engineer Parnay Singh, Twitter Direct Messaging Engineer, on machine learning algorithms, “you have like five thousand keywords to describe a redneck…” “the majority of it are for Republicans”

(San Francisco) In the latest undercover Project Veritas video investigation, current and former Twitter employees are on camera explaining steps the social media giant is taking to censor political content that they don’t like.

This video release follows the first undercover Twitter exposé Project Veritas released on January 10th which showed Twitter Senior Network Security Engineer Clay Haynes saying that Twitter is “more than happy to help the Department of Justice with their little [President Donald Trump] investigation.” Twitter responded to the video with a statement shortly after that release, stating “the individual depicted in this video was speaking in a personal capacity and does not represent of speak for Twitter.” The

released by Project Veritas today features eight employees, and a Project Veritas spokesman said there are more videos featuring additional employees coming.

On January 3rd 2018 at a San Francisco restaurant, Abhinov Vadrevu, a former Twitter Software Engineer explains a strategy, called “shadow banning,” that to his knowledge, Twitter has employed:

Twitter is in the process of automating censorship and banning, says Twitter Software Engineer Steven Pierre on December 8th of 2017:

“One strategy is to shadow ban so you have ultimate control. The idea of a shadow ban is that you ban someone but they don’t know they’ve been banned, because they keep posting and no one sees their content. So they just think that no one is engaging with their content, when in reality, no one is seeing it.”

Olinda Hassan, a Policy Manager for Twitter’s Trust and Safety team explains on December 15th, 2017 at a Twitter holiday party that the development of a system of “down ranking” “shitty people” is in the works:

“Every single conversation is going to be rated by a machine and the machine is going to say whether or not it’s a positive thing or a negative thing. And whether it’s positive or negative doesn’t (inaudible), it’s more like if somebody’s being aggressive or not. Right? Somebody’s just cursing at somebody, whatever, whatever. They may have point, but it will just vanish… It’s not going to ban the mindset, it’s going to ban, like, a way of talking.”

Former Twitter Engineer Conrado Miranda confirms on December 1st, 2017 that tools are already in place to censor pro-Trump or conservative content on the platform. When asked whether or not these capabilities exist, Miranda says, “that’s a thing.”

“Yeah. That’s something we’re working on. It’s something we’re working on. We’re trying to get the shitty people to not show up. It’s a product thing we’re working on right now.”

In a conversation with former Twitter Content Review Agent Mo Norai on May 16th, 2017, we learned that in the past Twitter would manually ban or censor Pro-Trump or conservative content. When asked about the process of banning accounts, Norai said, “On stuff like that it was more discretion on your view point, I guess how you felt about a particular matter…”

When asked to clarify if that process was automated Norai confirmed that it was not:

Norai also revealed that more left-leaning content would go through their selection process with less political scrutiny, “It would come through checked and then I would be like ‘Oh you know what? This is okay. Let it go.’”

“Yeah, if they said this is: ‘Pro-Trump’ I don’t want it because it offends me, this, that. And I say I banned this whole thing, and it goes over here and they are like, ‘Oh you know what? I don’t like it too. You know what? Mo’s right, let’s go, let’s carry on, what’s next?'”

Norai explains that this selection process wasn’t exactly Twitter policy, but rather they were following unwritten rules from the top:

At a San Francisco bar on January 5th, Pranay Singh details how the shadow-banning algorithms targeting right-leaning are engineered:

“A lot of unwritten rules, and being that we’re in San Francisco, we’re in California, very liberal, a very blue state. You had to be… I mean as a company you can’t really say it because it would make you look bad, but behind closed doors are lots of rules.”

“There was, I would say… Twitter was probably about 90% Anti-Trump, maybe 99% Anti-Trump.”

“Yeah you look for Trump, or America, and you have like five thousand keywords to describe a redneck. Then you look and parse all the messages, all the pictures, and then you look for stuff that matches that stuff.”

When asked if the majority of the algorithms are targeted against conservative or liberal users of Twitter, Singh said, “I would say majority of it are for Republicans.”

Project Veritas founder James O’Keefe believes the power over speech Silicon Valley tech giants has is unprecedented and dangerous:

Project Veritas plans to release more undercover video from within Twitter in the coming days.

“What kind of world do we live in where computer engineers are the gatekeepers of the ‘way people talk?’ This investigation brings forth information of profound public importance that educates people about how free they really are to express their views online.”

Mr. O’Keefe has just completed a book about this series entitled “AMERICAN PRAVDA: My fight for Truth in the Era of Fake News.” The book will be released by St. Martin’s Press on January 16, 2018.

Only to those things they agree with.

Oh I know.....and not surprising...liberals and folks here will have zero outrage.

• Like 1

Very disturbing and Orwellian :angry:

• Like 1

One particular part of it "Zero response i.e. makes it think people just aren't interested but in fact it's invisible to everyone but themselves"

Kind of like wiff's Trump rants. :music_guitarred:

Isn't surprising. Of course the internet was eventually going to go this way.

People need to smarten up. First by getting rid of their facebook or twitters. Not sure why anyone over 23 has either unless it is for business or promoting something they do. But people can't help themselves.

• Like 1

Trump should just set up his own method of getting tweet like statements out. It's at the point with him that he really doesn't need twitter. If he puts something out it will get attention and repeated over all media platforms.

And look, O'Keefe got these idiots to admit it. Again.

No surprise from the companies claiming their goal is Free Speech. Just like CNN, MSNBC, etc ignoring massive scandals that don't fit with their ideology.

Would be a much more valid points were you to have included Fox and others of that ideology.

But aside from that, I agree. I think the reason why news organizations such as they are are enjoying spectacular ratings while still suffering from record-setting distrust is that they're not worried about the news anymore. On either side. They report that which fits their narrative. For example, that whole Bennett nonsense. Not a single media Outlet called it out for the stupidity that it was.

Moreover, black lives matter was based upon the Michael Brown case. Hands up don't shoot. Except for the fact that his hands were never up. And, how many times have you gotten your fingerprints on a cop's gun?

But basic facts were covered with far less gusto than the most insipid and ridiculous rumor just based upon whether it fit The Narrative of race-baiting or not.

Trump was right, many players in the media are the enemy of the people.

Yeah I agree. Just like many players in politics are the enemy of the people.

The people got duped and they are in so deep that they can't get out. These young people can't give up their twitter or facebook. We have a 2 party system. Lets not bother getting the right guys in there. Lets just wait for the reality show that is the primaries and then the presidential debates. Then lets draw a line in the sand and act like a buffoon supporting 1 of them and totally trashing the other.

Welcome to America. "the people" created this. Or are just too stupid to stop it.

• Like 1

Least surprising news since the Chiefs lost in the 1st round of the playoffs

No doubt it's a room full of twenty something uber-liberal San Francisco snowflakes straight off of liberal campuses convinced they're doing society great good by getting rid of any content that may hurt gay or feminist or BLM feelings.

Yet there are still those who would claim that Fascism is a right wing movement. :dunno:

It's Bizzaro world

No doubt it's a room full of twenty something uber-liberal San Francisco snowflakes straight off of liberal campuses convinced they're doing society great good by getting rid of any content that may hurt gay or feminist or BLM feelings.

It is a game. Don't be mad one group is smart.

Don't get it twisted. The object of both sides and all of American politics is to push their narrative and "win the election" by any means necessary.

It is politics driven. It isn't just a group of 25 year olds in a starbucks. EVERYTHING is politics driven. Because it is black or white. If you support gay and black people you HAVE to be a Lib and if you don't you MUST be righty. You get this media warfare because there are 2 distinct sides. It isn't Democratic Party or the Republican Party. It is the enemy. That is how both sides and their fanatical followers view this. And it is only getting worse.

So don't get mad at one side for being ahead of the curb as far as political warfare. It was obvious that social media was turning into this years ago. It is mindless. What an easy avenue to go down to push agendas. But don't be mad for one fanatical side to be ahead of the curb here and being the most effective in pushing their agenda.

The righties are playing the game too. They are playing with knives while the left is playing with bombs. They threw a secret weapon out there in Trump. But the left has the multiplying youth by the balls. You thought social media was off limits in pushing your agenda and getting people all crazy?

Related thought for discussion.....

What if instead of filtering views and opinions we dont like online, we instead take away 99% of the anonymity?

Twitter, message boards, etc. You can say what you want without filters, but you have to use your real name, a verified photo, and your actual location. (Not address, but nearest city and state).

I think this solves a lot of the problems we are dealing with.

• Like 1

What if instead of filtering views and opinions we dont like online, we instead take away 99% of the anonymity?

Twitter, message boards, etc. You can say what you want without filters, but you have to use your real name, a verified photo, and your actual location. (Not address, but nearest city and state).

Or drives the assault/vandalism/murder rates sky high :lol:

Oh I know.....and not surprising...liberals and folks here will have zero outrage.

But, y'know, Donald Trump mentioned Hillary again and they are all up in arms over this. Who cares about Free Speech when DJT is talking about HRC again?

I like it.

This is less surprising than newbie's new alias

You have a point. Sometimes when I make fun of Pat on facebook, I always forget it has my real name.

Then I hide in the corner for a few days and when he doesn't show up, I feel safer

Nota bad idea. Just be careful in that's how the Chinese do it.... and they use it to control people.

It is a game. Don't be mad one group is smart.

Don't get it twisted. The object of both sides and all of American politics is to push their narrative and "win the election" by any means necessary.

It is politics driven. It isn't just a group of 25 year olds in a starbucks. EVERYTHING is politics driven. Because it is black or white. If you support gay and black people you HAVE to be a Lib and if you don't you MUST be righty. You get this media warfare because there are 2 distinct sides. It isn't Democratic Party or the Republican Party. It is the enemy. That is how both sides and their fanatical followers view this. And it is only getting worse.

So don't get mad at one side for being ahead of the curb as far as political warfare. It was obvious that social media was turning into this years ago. It is mindless. What an easy avenue to go down to push agendas. But don't be mad for one fanatical side to be ahead of the curb here and being the most effective in pushing their agenda.

The righties are playing the game too. They are playing with knives while the left is playing with bombs. They threw a secret weapon out there in Trump. But the left has the multiplying youth by the balls. You thought social media was off limits in pushing your agenda and getting people all crazy?

Stop. Have mercy. You're depressing me too much.

Or drives the assault/vandalism/murder rates sky high :lol:

A part of my thought process is.....if you are unwilling to be associated with a belief or thought, maybe you shouldnt be posting it.

Another part of my thought process....people should know approximately whose ideas they are echoing or who they are arguing with. Am I arguing with 12 people from Russia about a post written by a 13 year old skinhead from Alabama, or am I arguing with a 38 year old mother of 2 from Seattle? It matters.

• Like 1

Fairly common to one degree or another. The picture is probably ridiculously hard to enforce.

Yet there are still those who would claim that Fascism is a right wing movement. :dunno:

Used to worry about Jack booted thugs.

Now I'm worried about Birkenstocked harpies.

• Like 1

Used to worry about Jack booted thugs.

Now I'm worried about Birkenstocked harpies.

Its the suede denim secret police - they have come for your uncool niece!

Its the suede denim secret police - they have come for your uncool niece!

:headbanger:

But but but James O'keefe!!!!!

:lol:

Is that who this is from?

Likely complete bullshit like everything else he has done.

Liars like you hate him because he has your American hating friends on video exposing their antiamerican bull.

Liars like you hate him because he has your American hating friends on video exposing their antiamerican bull.

I find him completely lacking any credibility because he has been busted lying every time.

Actually proven liar unlike your false claims about me.

Everything else? Hardly...........he's exposed more of the left's uglier side than Weinstein (in more ways than one).

• Like 1