Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

The missionary killed by the Sentinelese...

Yeah, I guess each individual has their own reasons for violating the borders of other nations and such.....

Dude should have respected their borders. Hed be alive today if he did.

Could not agree more, there is alot to be said for respecting the borders of others, regardless of what we might feel, don't be dumb and all will be well.....violate someones borders and they might kill you, take your kids, put you in jail, who knows....

• Like 1

Could not agree more, there is alot to be said for respecting the borders of others, regardless of what we might feel, don't be dumb and all will be well.....violate someones borders and they might kill you, take your kids, put you in jail, who knows....

Thats true, a missionary repeatedly trespassing on an island of primitive natives is just like asylum seekers approaching the 2,000-mile southern border of one of the wealthiest nations in earth.

Another terrific analogy, Cliffy.

Thats true, a missionary repeatedly trespassing on an island of primitive natives is just like asylum seekers approaching the 2,000-mile southern border of one of the wealthiest nations in earth.

Another terrific analogy, Cliffy.

I think your analogy is a little loose, I would not correlate the actions of one person to that of a group of others, maybe rethink that just a bit, but I do think you are nearing a place where you could reach a philosophically honest position.

I think your analogy is a little loose, I would not correlate the actions of one person to that of a group of others, maybe rethink that just a bit, but I do think you are nearing a place where you could reach a philosophically honest position.

Im not sure Ive said anything about the caravan at all. As usual youre blowing over straw men, Cliffy. :thumbsup:

Im not sure Ive said anything about the caravan at all. As usual youre blowing over straw men, Cliffy. :thumbsup:

You seem to now be bringing up the caravan, what elements of the caravan are you now suggesting are relevant?

I knew conservatives wanted to rewind time back to the days before women's suffrage and the 14th amendment to avoid pesky subjects like equality and racism, but I didn't know they wanted to go all the way back to stones and sticks to justify their level of xenophobia and ignornace.

According to these replies, they are so obsessed with their fear and egocentrism they are willing to throw away all the benefits of living in a modern society, just so they can kill foreign women and children that are seeking a crumb of the abundance they were handed as part of their birthright.

That is an impressive level of spite right there. Kudos.

Thats true, a missionary repeatedly trespassing on an island of primitive natives is just like asylum seekers

Define asylum seekers

So nobody thinks the Sentinelese should be held accountable for his death? What value does the world derive from maintaining a barbaric primitive culture?

Don't get me wrong, I think the missionary should have left them alone. But why should this small, isolated tribe be allowed to murder in defense of their turf?

Well, do they live under their own set of laws? I think that they do and, as part of their laws, they can kill you if you show up without an invitation. Caveat visitor (whatever the Latin term is for visitor)

Do you advocate that we just extinguish their "barbaric primitive culture" and force them to live under our laws?

You seem to now be bringing up the caravan, what elements of the caravan are you now suggesting are relevant?

You seem to be drawing a comparison between the primitive natives on an island and the United States. You never seem to say what you mean in clear English though.

So nobody thinks the Sentinelese should be held accountable for his death? What value does the world derive from maintaining a barbaric primitive culture?

Don't get me wrong, I think the missionary should have left them alone. But why should this small, isolated tribe be allowed to murder in defense of their turf?

The world doesn't benefit at all. As I understand it, they don't benefit from the outside world either. Maybe that's a fair trade? Live and let live, or maybe live and let die.

Also, this missionary was a complete moron. I've met Christians like him, and they all have a screw loose. They are completely blind to the inherent dangers in the world. They're in the same category as that Grizzly Man dude.

I knew conservatives wanted to rewind time back to the days before women's suffrage and the 14th amendment to avoid pesky subjects like equality and racism, but I didn't know they wanted to go all the way back to stones and sticks to justify their level of xenophobia and ignornace.

According to these replies, they are so obsessed with their fear and egocentrism they are willing to throw away all the benefits of living in a modern society, just so they can kill foreign women and children that are seeking a crumb of the abundance they were handed as part of their birthright.

That is an impressive level of spite right there. Kudos.

Can I be "with her" Since Hillary Clinton is now on board with immigration control?

You seem to be drawing a comparison between the primitive natives on an island and the United States. You never seem to say what you mean in clear English though.

No, you need to rise above the situational, or you find your self becoming hypocritical in how you position yourself. If you intend to align situations and make direct comparisons you are being philosophically dishonest at the very least. Which we do see you actually do from time to time.

No, you need to rise above the situational, or you find your self becoming hypocritical in how you position yourself. If you intend to align situations and make direct comparisons you are being philosophically dishonest at the very least. Which we do see you actually do from time to time.

LOL okay Cliffy. Let me know when youre ready to put down the thesaurus and express yourself like an adult.

What do you suggest? :dunno:

Obviously we should arrest them despite the fact that they won't understand the concept. Of course it won't matter because they will all be dead within a week once we expose them to all the diseases we have built up immunity to but they haven't. It's the only HUMANE thing to do.

LOL okay Cliffy. Let me know when youre ready to put down the thesaurus and express yourself like an adult.

I have defined my position, that you struggle with comprehension, and words in general, has nothing to do with me.

A plebeian would hope this is an ingenious post made in jest, but some self doubt needs to be had.

If you insist.....

I have defined my position, that you struggle with comprehension, and words in general, has nothing to do with me.

Indubitably, Cliffy!

Moving on then, unless of course....someone else wants to also play the role of hypocrite..... ^_^

Maybe it was his manifest destiny, maybe he was seeking asylum or something and not one of the places he visited prior to this island was going to work for his "asylum". :thumbsup:

Who are we, or anyone else for that matter, to deny the right of this young man to travel and settle as he pleases.

MDC isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He's the type of guy that Democrats love: easily led, never asks questions and no critical thinking skills. Low information comes to mind but that would be giving "low information" a bad name.

How do you feel about muh chirrens being gassed with chemical weapons at the US border?

I think of this island as their property and the missionary was trespassing repeatedly.

I'm not sure how trespassing laws in the US work, but I think you need to feel your safety is threatened to justify killing an intruder.

And why do we value the Sentinelese culture, compared to the many, many other tribes we've pushed to extinction? Why are we respecting "finders keepers" in the Sentinel Islands, but nearly nowhere else indigenous people have settled?

I'm not sure how trespassing laws in the US work, but I think you need to feel your safety is threatened to justify killing an intruder.

And why do we value the Sentinelese culture, compared to the many, many other tribes we've pushed to extinction? Why are we respecting "finders keepers" in the Sentinel Islands, but nearly nowhere else indigenous people have settled?

Are the end times upon us?

I'm agreeing with pen here.

Who are the "we" you keep referring to?

Well, do they live under their own set of laws? I think that they do and, as part of their laws, they can kill you if you show up without an invitation. Caveat visitor (whatever the Latin term is for visitor)

Do you advocate that we just extinguish their "barbaric primitive culture" and force them to live under our laws?

They do, but why do we respect laws which run counter to our own? If a Muslim country codified a law allowing foreign infidels to be killed, would we just look the other way, as long as it occurred in their country?

I don't advocate extinguishing the Sentinelese, but history shows the big guy usually imposes their will on smaller cultures, especially if they start the killing.

The world doesn't benefit at all. As I understand it, they don't benefit from the outside world either. Maybe that's a fair trade? Live and let live, or maybe live and let die.

Also, this missionary was a complete moron. I've met Christians like him, and they all have a screw loose. They are completely blind to the inherent dangers in the world. They're in the same category as that Grizzly Man dude.

So why are we going out of our way to protect their culture, essentially giving away islands adjacent to one of the most overpopulated areas on Earth? My guess is there is nothing of value there, and the islands pose no strategic importance.

The do, but why do we respect laws which run counter to ur own. If a Muslim country codified a law allowing foreign infidels to be killed, would we just look the other way, as long as it occurred in their country?

I don't advocate extinguishing the Sentinelese, but history shows the big guy usually imposes their will on smaller cultures, especially if they start the killing.

These people are governed by the Indian government. We have no standing in it since it is part of a sovereign nation. Not sure if you noticed, but there are more Indians than there are Americans.

As far as going by what we did in the past, do you really want to make that argument? The US back then was not exactly holier-than-thou. We took land from people through force. This is a group of people that are perfectly fine in being left alone and no one really has the right to disturb them.

These people are governed by the Indian government. We have no standing in it since it is part of a sovereign nation. Not sure if you noticed, but there are more Indians than there are Americans.

As far as going by what we did in the past, do you really want to make that argument? The US back then was not exactly holier-than-thou. We took land from people through force. This is a group of people that are perfectly fine in being left alone and no one really has the right to disturb them.

Every country in the world pretty much has a history where groups of people disturbed other groups of people. It's how countries become countries. I agree that this is an Indian government issue, but the Sentinalese have no special right to that island since they've decided to stay in 10000 BC AND it belongs to the Indian government anyways. There is no place in the modern world for them and the only thing saving them now is what pen said - it's probably not strategically important or resource rich.

Now, if they had nukes then that would be a different story.

So why are we going out of our way to protect their culture, essentially giving away islands adjacent to one of the most overpopulated areas on Earth? My guess is there is nothing of value there, and the islands pose no strategic importance.

How is telling people to leave them alone going out of their way to protect them?

From my understanding India owns the country and they want them left alone. Seems pretty simple.

Who are the "we" you keep referring to?

In simplest terms, the rest of the non-Sentinelese world. If you want to be more specific, the Indians who've looked the other way as the natives effectively created sovereign territory on Indian land, and Americans who don't seem to care they've killed one of our citizens.

I think a lawyer could reasonably make the case that the natives felt threatened especially after the missionary kept returning to the island. :dunno:

No idea why this tribe was just gifted this island.

How is telling people to leave them alone going out of their way to protect them?

From my understanding India owns the country and they want them left alone. Seems pretty simple.

Leaving them alone is one thing, ignoring murder another.

Here is a little tip. If you decide to go to Mogadishu (for example) to convert the locals and they kill you, that is on you. You know it is not safe, your government has told you that it is not safe and people in the past have died doing the same thing. Just because you are an American citizen, it does not mean that we are going to go in and avenge your (stupid) death.

Sorry. :(

Ok, I guess the consensus is sovereign countries can make their own rules, including killing non-threatening intruders. :thumbsup:

Not arguing we should revisit our past behaviors, but I'm wondering why the Sentinelese are the the beneficiaries of our enlightened thinking.

Ok, I guess the consensus is sovereign countries can make their own rules, including killing non-threatening intruders. :thumbsup:

Not arguing we should revisit our past behaviors, but I'm wondering why the Sentinelese are the the beneficiaries of our enlightened thinking.

1. They have nothing that we want

2. Certainly nothing that would have us invade a sovereign nation of over 1B people

3. The guy that was killed was a dumbass

Maurice Vidal Portman (1880)

In 1880, in an effort to establish contact with the Sentinelese, British naval officer Maurice Vidal Portman, who was serving as a colonial administrator to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, led a group of Europeans to North Sentinel Island. Upon the arrival of the armed group, the islanders fled into the treeline. After several days ashore, during which they found abandoned villages and paths, Portman's men captured six individuals, an elderly man and woman and four children.[32][scientific citation needed]

The man and woman died shortly after or before their arrival in Port Blair, likely from disease, and so Portman attempted to befriend the surviving children by giving them gifts before returning them to North Sentinel Island, in hopes that the children would help village elders realise the British were friendly. The attempt was unsuccessful, likely due to the aggressiveness of Portman's visit and the fact that his efforts resulted in the deaths of two Sentinelese people. Additionally, due to differences in culture, the children might not have recognised the gifts as such.

Probably has a lot to with why they are so hostile now. And they didn't do anything wrong, they protected their land from an invader.

This guy was not "non threatening". Any interaction with non Sentinelese by the Sentinelese risks wiping out the entire tribe. As a supposed medical professional, this should resonate with you. Funny you care about people being killed by guns but you don't seem to give a sh*t if we wipe out an entire tribe due to our selfishness and unwillingness to just leave them the fock alone as they have repeatedly requested.

A reality show pitting our most violent criminals against the the Sents on their home turf?

Seriously, I don't know, but am surprised at the apathy to one of our citizens being killed.

A reality show pitting our most violent criminals against the the Sents on their home turf?

Seriously, I don't know, but am surprised at the apathy to one of our citizens being killed.

It's not apathy. I have sympathy for the family of this guy. But, at the end of the day he made stupid decisions that cost him his own life. And let's not forget that he wasn't killed on his first visit to the island. On that visit, he was allowed to leave with only an arrow piercing his bible. That should have been a clue that they didn't want him there and it was dangerous. He chose to go back and sealed his own fate. Not blaming the indigenous people for protecting themselves does not mean I am apathetic to this guy dying.