Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Pork Rinds

I see you edited your post, acknowledging the unhealthful qualities of bacon and pork rinds. Red meat ain't much better BTW. But I bet you still eat all that stuff, and keto fans may even suggest they're better for you than carbohydrates, which have become the new debbil.

It's absurd to categorize an entire class of macronutrient as bad, whether it be fat or carbohydrates (I won't be surprised if protein is next on the hit-list). There are good and bad choices in both groups. But my bigger point is overall health is promoted by diets which look nothing like those espoused by the ketophiles. I'm not talking solely about weight loss, as disease prevention and longevity are far more important.

I'm sitting waiting to be called to testify in fed court so I'm just brainstorming stuff...

I think we're on the same page more tha you know with healthy sustainable lifestyles... I'm for now at least just a proponant of a lower glycemic index for a healthier lifestyle...

And yes.. too much protien can effect your blood sugar so I read... so the 250-300 gram guys should be careful

I think you guys may have a hyped idea of the low carb craze. Yes... some goofballs are going to try to eat butter n cheese smothered bacon for every meal, but thats obviously not sustainable either. Most of what I eat for fat is coconut oil, olive oil, and grassfed butter. I eat a ton of greens and fiberous veg like asparagus.

There is a big difference between an induction phase and a way of life regiment.

Most of the keto is based on simple foods ie organic veg, eggs, grass fed non-hormoned meats.. etc.

Stay away from grain carbs. The carbs you eat... try for fiberous to keep the glycemic level to a minimum... strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, avocadoes...

No I get it. Your diet isn't terrible, but it sure as hell ain't anything like those of long-lived populations. Grains are not the debbil either.

I'm sitting waiting to be called to testify in fed court so I'm just brainstorming stuff...

I think we're on the same page more tha you know with healthy sustainable lifestyles... I'm for now at least just a proponant of a lower glycemic index for a healthier lifestyle...

And yes.. too much protien can effect your blood sugar so I read... so the 250-300 gram guys should be careful

Yep, animal protein intake is as closely linked to diabetes development as carbohydrates, but intellectually it's easier to demonize the latter.

I think you guys may have a hyped idea of the low carb craze. Yes... some goofballs are going to try to eat butter n cheese smothered bacon for every meal, but thats obviously not sustainable either. Most of what I eat for fat is coconut oil, olive oil, and grassfed butter. I eat a ton of greens and fiberous veg like asparagus.

There is a big difference between an induction phase and a way of life regiment.

Most of the keto is based on simple foods ie organic veg, eggs, grass fed non-hormoned meats.. etc.

Stay away from grain carbs. The carbs you eat... try for fiberous to keep the glycemic level to a minimum... strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, avocadoes...

I have no problem with low carb diets. That wasnt where I am coming from. To me if you do it in a healthy way it is just a fancy way to go about eating better. For people who usually eat candy, pop, chips, mac and cheese, ect ect all day each day....then just eating better is going to be low carb in comparison.

Im talking more the people that go on fad diets and think eating low carb nutrientless food is "doing good". It is mostly younger women who think this way. Or people who try and lose weight quick usually for an event. The ones who will eat any sort of meat even if its beef jerky coupled with things like pork rinds and cottage cheese.

Keto, low carb.....these diets I think can be okay. But most people dont have the resources, it is expensive, or just dont understand the diet. People end up doing the quick fix on these diets and dont really research what they need. Same with vegetarians and vegans. Maybe just do it and dont know or care to research what they need in the diet to replace what they are cutting out.

• Like 1

I have no problem with low carb diets. That wasnt where I am coming from. To me if you do it in a healthy way it is just a fancy way to go about eating better. For people who usually eat candy, pop, chips, mac and cheese, ect ect all day each day....then just eating better is going to be low carb in comparison.

Im talking more the people that go on fad diets and think eating low carb nutrientless food is "doing good". It is mostly younger women who think this way. Or people who try and lose weight quick usually for an event. The ones who will eat any sort of meat even if its beef jerky coupled with things like pork rinds and cottage cheese.

Keto, low carb.....these diets I think can be okay. But most people dont have the resources, it is expensive, or just dont understand the diet. People end up doing the quick fix on these diets and dont really research what they need. Same with vegetarians and vegans. Maybe just do it and dont know or care to research what they need in the diet to replace what they are cutting out.

You were doing well until you lumped vegetarians in with fad dieters. You’ll find nothing in the nutrition literature suggesting the former is unhealthy, though I guess if you ate all deep fried okra and cheese you wouldn’t be doing your body any favors.

yes op is a focking idiot.

Fvck you

• Like 1

Ill admit to never trying them. Just sounds nasty.

My brother put a bunch in a potato chip bag and gave them to a Muslim kid at school once. When he figured it out, he went and purged.

Hed probably get charged with something for that now.

Ill admit to never trying them. Just sounds nasty.

My brother put a bunch in a potato chip bag and gave them to a Muslim kid at school once. When he figured it out, he went and purged.

Hed probably get charged with something for that now.

Not if he had a Halal Pass.

You were doing well until you lumped vegetarians in with fad dieters. Youll find nothing in the nutrition literature suggesting the former is unhealthy, though I guess if you ate all deep fried okra and cheese you wouldnt be doing your body any favors.

Didnt lump them with fad diets. I lumped them in with things SOME people tend to jump into without really understanding what they are doing.

This is exactly the problem with the low carbohydrate diet craze. Pork rinds have little, if any, nutritional value. More often than not, they have a sh!t ton of salt and preservatives. But what the he!!, they have no carbs !?*!%, so snack away!

Not to mention an ass load of saturated fat

Didnt lump them with fad diets. I lumped them in with things SOME people tend to jump into without really understanding what they are doing.

Fair enough. Carry on.

Which is not bad for you anymore.

An excerpt from a study that looked at all-cause (not just cardiovascular) mortality and low carbohydrate diets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3555979/

Our systematic review and meta-analyses of worldwide reports suggested that low-carbohydrate diets were associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality in the long run. They also suggested that low-carbohydrate diets might not be protective or harmful in terms of CVD mortality and incidence. These findings support the hypothesis that the short-term benefits of low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss are potentially irrelevant.

Key points from the study include a 31% increase in mortality risk over the study period (6-18 years) among ~250K subjects, with no difference in cardiovascular death.

An excerpt from a study that looked at all-cause (not just cardiovascular) mortality and low carbohydrate diets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3555979/

Key points from the study include a 31% increase in mortality risk over the study period (6-18 years) among ~250K subjects, with no difference in cardiovascular death.

Hrrmm thats pretty interesting Doc. I'd be curious as to the mean age of the 250k folks. This low carb thing was origionally developed to get fatties down to a low enough weight from morbidly obese so they could have cardiac surgery. One would assume they were older or in pretty bad shape, and thus how skewed are those numbers. Not saying that's the case at all, but... if the average Adkins patient was 55-65... lifestyle prior to a low carb lifestyle would be pretty condusive to that mortality rate no?

Hrrmm thats pretty interesting Doc. I'd be curious as to the mean age of the 250k folks. This low carb thing was origionally developed to get fatties down to a low enough weight from morbidly obese so they could have cardiac surgery. One would assume they were older or in pretty bad shape, and thus how skewed are those numbers. Not saying that's the case at all, but... if the average Adkins patient was 55-65... lifestyle prior to a low carb lifestyle would be pretty condusive to that mortality rate no?

It doesnt really matter because the studies (a meta analysis pools data from high quality smaller trials) compare groups with similar risk factors and baseline characteristics, except the variable in question (carbohydrate intake). Here is a summary statement from the article:

Although the majority of the enrolled subjects were middle-aged and free of such chronic comorbidities as diabetes and coronary heart disease, healthcare professionals dominated in the US cohorts, who may not truly represented the average population in the community.

My point remains: while losing weight in the short term is great, an ideal diet should promote long term health. Low carbohydrate diets fail on the latter measure, and I bet well see more and more bad consequences over time.

related note, I picked up some bacon flavored spam. Or maybe just bacon spam. I don't know. It was on sale. Apparently, they tried to convince me that it wasn't selling very well. That's got to be utter bullshit. It's bacon and spam.

While that gets all crispety, I can fry up some planks of potatoes and whip up some sausage gravy and make myself one hell of a stack.

And, as a garnish, add about half a pound of finely shredded cheddar.

Damn, forgot the grilled onions and peppers. Oh well. Vegetables are optional anyway.

Forgot to mention eggs. But that pretty much goes without saying, right?

Mmmm. Soon I will be poutine that in mah mouf.

💋🐽