Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Paging Dr. Peanutstraw or Dr. Medstudent... Dr. Peanutstraw or Medstudent

Hey Doc so that type of hernia when your gut comes out of the small hole in your lower side abdomen where your seminal tube comes out... inguinal i think. If that's not fully ruptured where say I think my gut popped out there and then went back in. Will that heal itself up if I lay off lifting for awhile or is that going to remain a weak point just keep on being pretty tweaky until it finally ruptures? :huh:

I went to my clinic a two weeks ago, and they didn't think it was a hernia, but thought it was maybe a groin strain.

Last week I tried deadlifting some light reps and man did it immediately start feeling pressure/pain in that same spot.

I've laid off since.

Hey Doc so that type of hernia when your gut comes out of the small hole in your lower side abdomen where your seminal tube comes out... inguinal i think. If that's not fully ruptured where say I think my gut popped out there and then went back in. Will that heal itself up if I lay off lifting for awhile or is that going to remain a weak point just keep on being pretty tweaky until it finally ruptures? :huh:

I went to my clinic a two weeks ago, and they didn't think it was a hernia, but thought it was maybe a groin strain.

Last week I tried deadlifting some light reps and man did it immediately start feeling pressure/pain in that same spot.

I've laid off since.

Inguinal hernias are defects in fascia, which is a dense fibrous tissue that can heal, albeit slowly. If your symptoms are mild, watchful waiting may be an acceptable alternative to surgery. But anything that increases intra-abdominal pressure, from lifting to straining during a bowel movement is gonna make effective healing less likely.

If your pain is anything but mild or limits your usual activities, you should get evaluated for surgery ASAP, as the faster it is fixed the sooner you may return to your routine. The dreaded complication of inguinal hernias is bowel incarceration, where a segment of your intestines becomes trapped in the hole and strangulates. This can be life threatening.

But from the sound of things, this is a self diagnosis. See a real life doctor to confirm the diagnosis and give you your treatment options.

Inguinal hernias are defects in fascia, which is a dense fibrous tissue that can heal, albeit slowly. If your symptoms are mild, watchful waiting may be an acceptable alternative to surgery. But anything that increases intra-abdominal pressure, from lifting to straining during a bowel movement is gonna make effective healing less likely.

If your pain is anything but mild or limits your usual activities, you should get evaluated for surgery ASAP, as the faster it is fixed the sooner you may return to your routine. The dreaded complication of inguinal hernias is bowel incarceration, where a segment of your intestines becomes trapped in the hole and strangulates. This can be life threatening.

But from the sound of things, this is a self diagnosis. See a real life doctor to confirm the diagnosis and give you your treatment options.

The Doc said it was a posibility, but almost seemed to say you can't determine it if itz not ruptured?

The Doc said it was a posibility, but almost seemed to say you can't determine it if itz not ruptured?

A small hernia may be hard to diagnose, but usually you can figure it out with a good physical exam. If there is any question they can image the area, typically with an ultrasound.

It sounds like his main differential is a muscle pull in the groin. Again, a good history and physical exam should distinguish the two, especially information about what provokes the pain (does it only occur with movement, or can you replicate it by increasing intra-abdominal pressure, as in bearing down/coughing?) Regardless, you are going to have to lay off the weights for a few weeks minimum.

If your doctor can't make the diagnosis, consider referral to a sports medicine clinician.

A small hernia may be hard to diagnose, but usually you can figure it out with a good physical exam. If there is any question they can image the area, typically with an ultrasound.

It sounds like his main differential is a muscle pull in the groin. Again, a good history and physical exam should distinguish the two, especially information about what provokes the pain (does it only occur with movement, or can you replicate it by increasing intra-abdominal pressure, as in bearing down/coughing?) Regardless, you are going to have to lay off the weights for a few weeks minimum.

If your doctor can't make the diagnosis, consider referral to a sports medicine clinician.

I've pulled a groin muscle before. Doesn't feel like that at all. No pain or pressure when coughing or bearing down. I can do squats fine, evan relatively heavy 300+ ... the only time it really starts feeling pressure/pain is a deadlift motion with weight.

I may need to heed your advice on a sports medicine guy.

I've pulled a groin muscle before. Doesn't feel like that at all. No pain or pressure when coughing or bearing down. I can do squats fine, evan relatively heavy 300+ ... the only time it really starts feeling pressure/pain is a deadlift motion with weight.

I may need to heed your advice on a sports medicine guy.

Also, you should think about backing off weight lifting in general. Light weight is fine, but heavy lifting + middle age = injury.

Also, you should think about backing off weight lifting in general. Light weight is fine, but heavy lifting + middle age = injury.

This is starting to sink in a bit brother. I just wanna look good. I don't wanna go quietly in the night.

Disco man... look good at the disco.

What the good doctor is trying to say is, you're too focking old for that sh1t :o

This is starting to sink in a bit brother. I just wanna look good. I don't wanna go quietly in the night.

Disco man... look good at the disco.

You can still be lean without damaging your muscles, joints and connective tissue. And looking good doesn't do you any good if you're hobbled or post-operative.

You can still be lean without damaging your muscles, joints and connective tissue. And looking good doesn't do you any good if you're hobbled or post-operative.

Now you're saying he's a tranny too? :shocking:

Paging Dr tampa

So an update. It (lower left abdomen pain now and then or when I tried to hit the treadmill) was persisting in hurting for a few weeks and about a week and a half ago I went to my own doc. He checked me again and told me he was pretty sure it wasn't a hernia. He said he's seen it 2x before and thinks I have a buldging disc as a result of lifting. Somehow the disc hits a nerve that goes directly to the groin area.

I looked at him pretty skeptically as my back did not hurt at all at the time. It musta been written on my face cause he busted out laughing saying "No really man. I'm not messing with you!" Haha.....

Anyway... he said the good news is, if it is the disc, if I lay off for 4-6 weeks it most likely heals itself. As my old man and older brother both have major back problems from being a carpet layers all their lives, I'm taking it pretty seriously as I don't want it to progress.

So no back pain until about 3 days ago when I woke up with a mild burning sensation at the base of my spine. I've been doing home electro stim on it and it seems to be helping. It's been going on for about 3 days... mildly irritating but not really painful.

Today was the 1st day back lifting... and nothing back-wise. Just some chest and shoulder work. Not lifting heavy anymore if I can help it.

What do you think Doctor Peanutstraw? :huh:

That diagnosis sound plausible or bullshi!t?

So an update. It (lower left abdomen pain now and then or when I tried to hit the treadmill) was persisting in hurting for a few weeks and about a week and a half ago I went to my own doc. He checked me again and told me he was pretty sure it wasn't a hernia. He said he's seen it 2x before and thinks I have a buldging disc as a result of lifting. Somehow the disc hits a nerve that goes directly to the groin area.

I looked at him pretty skeptically as my back did not hurt at all at the time. It musta been written on my face cause he busted out laughing saying "No really man. I'm not messing with you!" Haha.....

Anyway... he said the good news is, if it is the disc, if I lay off for 4-6 weeks it most likely heals itself. As my old man and older brother both have major back problems from being a carpet layers all their lives, I'm taking it pretty seriously as I don't want it to progress.

So no back pain until about 3 days ago when I woke up with a mild burning sensation at the base of my spine. I've been doing home electro stim on it and it seems to be helping. It's been going on for about 3 days... mildly irritating but not really painful.

Today was the 1st day back lifting... and nothing back-wise. Just some chest and shoulder work. Not lifting heavy anymore if I can help it.

What do you think Doctor Peanutstraw? :huh:

That diagnosis sound plausible or bullshi!t?

It is plausible. The groin is innervated by the upper lumbar nerve roots, L1 and L2. So either a T12-L1 or L1-L2 disc herniation. Also there is a nerve, the obturator nerve, which can become entrapped by the fascial tissue of the thigh and cause groin pain, especially with exercise. None of those things would cause a bulge in your groin (looking back, I see you never mention this explicitly, but it is a common finding with hernias). But nerve problems might be associated with numbness of parts of your thigh and/or weakness, especially with hip flexion. Did your doc do a neurologic exam - strength/sensory/reflex testing? If not, I'd definitely look into sports med eval. They can do definitive testing if needed, either spine imaging (usually MRI, difficult to interpret as we all have bulging discs by middle age) or nerve conduction velocity studies.

And you don't need to have back pain with disc problems. Have you read Sarno's book?

It is plausible. The groin is innervated by the upper lumbar nerve roots, L1 and L2. So either a T12-L1 or L1-L2 disc herniation. Also there is a nerve, the obturator nerve, which can become entrapped by the fascial tissue of the thigh and cause groin pain, especially with exercise. None of those things would cause a bulge in your groin (looking back, I see you never mention this explicitly, but it is a common finding with hernias). But nerve problems might be associated with numbness of parts of your thigh and/or weakness, especially with hip flexion. Did your doc do a neurologic exam - strength/sensory/reflex testing? If not, I'd definitely look into sports med eval. They can do definitive testing if needed, either spine imaging (usually MRI, difficult to interpret as we all have bulging discs by middle age) or nerve conduction velocity studies.

And you don't need to have back pain with disc problems. Have you read Sarno's book?

Only thing he did was a groin check and then put me on my back bending and stretching my legs from side to side. Nothing neurological that I recall. If it persists I may reach out to a sports medicine guy.

Guess I forgot to mention my groin pain did go away not long after my visit with him and hasn'the returned. The back pain is new, buthe I think related.

I do recall him saying something about the L1

Havn't read the book you mentioned.

Only thing he did was a groin check and then put me on my back bending and stretching my legs from side to side. Nothing neurological that I recall. If it persists I may reach out to a sports medicine guy.

Guess I forgot to mention my groin pain did go away not long after my visit with him and hasn'the returned. The back pain is new, buthe I think related.

I do recall him saying something about the L1

Havn'the read the book you mentioned.

Did the pain recur when he raised your legs?

Don't read the book until Jerry confirms this is all in your head.

Did the pain recur when he raised your legs?

Don't read the book until Jerry confirms this is all in your head.

Nope... no pain when he did that. At the time I had a persistent cough and it would sorta tweak whenever I coughed. Hence why I thought hernia.

Nope... no pain when he did that. At the time I had a persistent cough and it would sorta tweak whenever I coughed. Hence why I thought hernia.

Pain with straight leg raise is one of the signs of lumbar disc disease. Absent that finding or complete neurologic exam, I'm not sure how he came to his conclusion. But I'm sure there are details you've left out.

Pain with straight leg raise is one of the signs of lumbar disc disease. Absent that finding or complete neurologic exam, I'm not sure how he came to his conclusion. But I'm sure there are details you've left out.

Dunno... I'mean sure I am. Thanks for the listen anyway Doc.

I dunno about you guys, but there is only one place where my seminal tube comes out. ...

I expressed the same issue with my groin in the other thread. Funny that the back issue comes up because I have a degenerative disc L5-S1(?). I took a month off from lifting after the groin issue and for other reasons but had no problems since returning to the gym. My back gets aggravated when I sleep on my stomach and I try not to do that, however, I have been doing it more as of recently and as a result a tingling sensation has developed between my hip and right groin area. It all seems to be connected in some way. I'll adjust my sleeping habits and see if the tingling goes away.

Only thing he did was a groin check and then put me on my back

:wub: